shape
carat
color
clarity

Step cut help!

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
Paging all the step cut experts for input on these square EC stud candidates! @Karl_K @Matthews1127 and anyone else I am forgetting! These are both F color, VS1 / VVS2, and 1.3 / 1.32 cts.

From the video I definitely think the stone on the right is out performing the one on the left, and it has a better ASET. Thoughts on both of these? Especially the one on the left??

Last edited:

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
aset 1.jpg aset 2.jpg is 1.jpg

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
And the images for the stone on the left:

aset 3.jpg aset 4.jpg is 2.jpg

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
1580870094001.png

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
1580870129398.png

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Your on the mark with your comment on the video.
The left one has p3 issues.

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
Your on the mark with your comment on the video.
The left one has p3 issues.

Thanks very much! Any concerns with the one on the right? This will be my last big jewelry purchase so I want to make sure I’m getting a great performer and not compromising on cut.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks very much! Any concerns with the one on the right? This will be my last big jewelry purchase so I want to make sure I’m getting a great performer and not compromising on cut.
To my eyes, the stone on the right stays bright across the center, and doesn’t go completely dark, while tilted.
It seems to perform well, in the video.
The true test is to see how it performs in person, in different lighting environments.
On paper, it ticks all the boxes, but, step cuts cannot be evaluated based upon certs, alone.
It has potential. What say you, @Karl_K ?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
To my eyes, the stone on the right stays bright across the center, and doesn’t go completely dark, while tilted.
It seems to perform well, in the video.
The true test is to see how it performs in person, in different lighting environments.
On paper, it ticks all the boxes, but, step cuts cannot be evaluated based upon certs, alone.
It has potential. What say you, @Karl_K ?

yep

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks @Matthews1127 and @Karl_K ! I will ask about a replacement stone for the one on the left and circle back to see what you guys think!

As an aside - I'm having a little deja vu as I ended up buying the last EC you all gave your blessing to, haha (this was last year - I still need to get it set!)

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @Matthews1127 and @Karl_K ! I will ask about a replacement stone for the one on the left and circle back to see what you guys think!

As an aside - I'm having a little deja vu as I ended up buying the last EC you all gave your blessing to, haha (this was last year - I still need to get it set!)

Looking forward to the next contender! I wondered where that EC went to! Can’t wait to see what setting you choose for it!!! :kiss2:

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
Hi! @Karl_K @Matthews1127

How do you all feel about this one? Not sure if it is realistic to expect to find one with more red around the edges?

1581631690976.png

1581631835771.png

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Bad p3 angles not good.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not an expert, however, I too like the stone on the right based on the video alone.

DK :))

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
Doesn't Gem Concepts have anything useful to offer?

That's a good thought - I did check their website, but there is nothing listed that would work. :( The last time I reached out about a custom cut Yoram said they were not offering it for diamonds over one carat, although that may have changed. Jonna at IDJ is helping me search and she has been really great, it's just a tough project I think!

Reactions: AV_

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
I am not an expert, however, I too like the stone on the right based on the video alone.

DK :))

Thanks! Unfortunately I think I need to go a little bigger, so that one might not work anymore. I love step cuts but it is hard because they face up so much smaller than rounds! And I feel like bigger is better for step cut studs, sigh

AV_

Ideal_Rock
The last time I reached out about a custom cut Yoram said they were not offering it for diamonds over one carat, although that may have changed.

I would ask for anything cut in house in the right size, signed on the culet [I am not reasonable]. I see as much thinking going into their Peruzzi & archaistic step cuts, as it ever went into the development of the H&A, no one else is as foolish. All those cuts have a common flavour, it would seem, so they fit together unexpectedly www.

I have no idea what YF might surprise you with, if you let him. I wish he didn't know what I want [without my saying anything!]

2c

Last edited:

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
I would ask for anything cut in house in the right size, signed on the culet [I am not reasonable]. I see as much thinking going into their Peruzzi & archaistic step cuts, as it ever went into the development of the H&A, no one else is as foolish. All those cuts have a common flavour, it would seem, so they fit together unexpectedly www.

I have no idea what YF might surprise you with, if you let him. I wish he didn't know what I want [without my saying anything!]

2c

2c

Oooo that ring is stunning -- which reminds me that I think we are still waiting for @Matthews1127 's Yoram project to be completed!

@AV_ I think that most of us here have what may be viewed as 'unreasonable' demands by normal folk, haha -- and I hope that you are able to get your dream bling!

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oooo that ring is stunning -- which reminds me that I think we are still waiting for @Matthews1127 's Yoram project to be completed!

@AV_ I think that most of us here have what may be viewed as 'unreasonable' demands by normal folk, haha -- and I hope that you are able to get your dream bling!

Should be soon for my band project to be launched. Getting things in gear. @joelly’s ring is beautiful!! Yoram’s work is unsurpassed! I do hope you get the pleasure of working with him, in the future.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve been checking every day, hard to find something that seems good in my budget! I think I may need to buy the stones separately — I can’t get an ASET for the below, but the rep said it is eye clean. Does this look promising? @Karl_K @Matthews1127

That inclusion does look pretty white and get lost in the sparkle, so that is good :)

The facet patterning works well to my eyes and there doesn't appear to be any 'dead' areas - I think the only thing I would want to check would be how the slight 'windowing' looks (which seems visible when it's facing about 80degrees to the left or right in the video) :)

I would agree that buying stones separately might be needed - it's hard to find matching stones in stepcuts so it might take some time!

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
That inclusion does look pretty white and get lost in the sparkle, so that is good :)

The facet patterning works well to my eyes and there doesn't appear to be any 'dead' areas - I think the only thing I would want to check would be how the slight 'windowing' looks (which seems visible when it's facing about 80degrees to the left or right in the video) :)

I would agree that buying stones separately might be needed - it's hard to find matching stones in stepcuts so it might take some time!

Thanks for the input!! I feel the same - hadn’t noticed the potential windowing so that is helpful if I purchase - and it’s a good price so I’m hoping it works!

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For some strange reason, I am unable to open the link to the diamond, but I trust @Ooohshiny’s judgement.
He has a great eye!
Have you discussed sourcing twin stones with the vendor?
They may be able to connect with other vendors to source 2 stones, nearly identical in proportion, color and clarity for you.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Few on JA that jumped out :)

Not sure if cloudy?

Not sure if lacking contrast when head-on?

This is quite different - low crown, big table, but performs well! Would be interested to see if @Karl_K thinks this works.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For some strange reason, I am unable to open the link to the diamond, but I trust @Ooohshiny’s judgement.
He has a great eye!
Have you discussed sourcing twin stones with the vendor?
They may be able to connect with other vendors to source 2 stones, nearly identical in proportion, color and clarity for you.
Is it taking you to the BN front page? I think some browsers do that. Open it twice, leaving the first window open - I think that means it opens correctly on the second time!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results