shape
carat
color
clarity

SteerCom Collective: DTC, Alrosa, Rio Tinto, BHP & HW

What do you think about this?

• Wait - aren''t these the people who insisted we BRAND a few years ago?

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Looks like just another Boys Club to me...

• Diamond Monopoly by Parker Bros.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Todd Gray

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
In the trade journals this week:

In a joint effort, De Beers, Alrosa, Rio Tinto, BHP Billiton and Harry Winston are coming together to set up a steering committee and naming it as SteerCom. The purpose of the committee will be to collectively promote efforts towards developing a "generic" diamond marketing campaign for the global diamond industry.

Although De Beers has been undertaking various efforts to promote diamonds in a generic manner, its participation in SteerCom would have a different focus, as now it would now not intend only to promote its brands but support the global industry post economic slowdown in 2008.

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Does car industry promote "generic" car ?

Do you know any other industry( instead) diamond industry which promote "generic" product to support this industry ?

Todd Gray

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/7/2009 3:14:49 PM
Author: Serg
Do you know any other industry( instead) diamond industry which promote ''generic'' product to support this industry?

Here in the United States, there are advertisements on television that promote things like food products, things like "Eat Beef" and "Pork, it''s the other white meat" and "California Cheese" and all that, so yea...

But you know what I''m really wondering? And Sergey, you''ve been around long enough to remember the fallout from the DeBeers Diamond Trading Company "Supplier of Choice" initiative launched in June of 2000. For those of you who weren''t involved with diamonds back then... It basically required Sightholders (cutters who buy rough from the DTC) to create, develop and market their own BRAND of diamond. There was a lot of banter from the cutters about how expensive it was to create their own brand and how unnecessary it was, etc. and if I recall correctly if you refused to create a brand, you didn''t get to buy rough from the DTC anymore... Am I right about that? And there were all sorts of cutters claiming that they couldn''t afford to be in business anymore, etc.

And now the push isn''t going to focus on diamond brands anymore, but just diamonds... I personally don''t give a rip because I look at a diamond in terms of cut quality regardless of brand, but I''d love to be a fly on the wall in the office of a few cutting houses who filed suit against the DTC for the provisions of the Supplier of Choice program. I bet I''d learn all kinds of "new words" today! (words that I couldn''t share here on PS)
23.gif

diamondbank

Rough_Rock
Its reported they will spend ! billion Dollars on this, a lot of money

World leaders in diamond production, namely Russian Alrosa, De Beers, BHB Billiton and Rio Tinto are set to join efforts to sustain demand and prices in the diamond industry, reports the Vedomosti newspaper.

In the course of the advertising campaign diamonds will be promoted as a good way to invest money, Alrosa’s CEO Sergei Vybornov said.

To implement the new marketing strategy the competitors will set up a company under the name of SteerCom, said Lynette Gould, De Beers spokeswoman. It is supposed that all participants of diamond production cycle – from mining companies to jewellers – will finance SteerCom’s funds. The Jeweller Harry Winston has joined the campaign, Lynette Gould added.

The volume of investments has not been announced, though experts say the companies need at least $1 billion to make the marketing campaign successful.

Russian business

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/7/2009 3:27:31 PM
Author: Todd Gray

Do you know any other industry( instead) diamond industry which promote ''generic'' product to support this industry?

Here in the United States, there are advertisements on television that promote things like food products, things like ''Eat Beef'' and ''Pork, it''s the other white meat'' and ''California Cheese'' and all that, so yea...

But you know what I''m really wondering? And Sergey, you''ve been around long enough to remember the fallout from the DeBeers Diamond Trading Company ''Supplier of Choice'' initiative launched in June of 2000. For those of you who weren''t involved with diamonds back then... It basically required Sightholders (cutters who buy rough from the DTC) to create, develop and market their own BRAND of diamond. There was a lot of banter from the cutters about how expensive it was to create their own brand and how unnecessary it was, etc. and if I recall correctly if you refused to create a brand, you didn''t get to buy rough from the DTC anymore... Am I right about that? And there were all sorts of cutters claiming that they couldn''t afford to be in business anymore, etc.

And now the push isn''t going to focus on diamond brands anymore, but just diamonds... I personally don''t give a rip because I look at a diamond in terms of cut quality regardless of brand, but I''d love to be a fly on the wall in the office of a few cutting houses who filed suit against the DTC for the provisions of the Supplier of Choice program. I bet I''d learn all kinds of ''new words'' today! (words that I couldn''t share here on PS)
23.gif
Todd,

Cutters need do Brands. It is right direction. Unfortunately nobody did right steps yet in this direction. You can not prepay for Brand

If you want I can send you my Surat report ( I did report in 26 December 2006 on Surat conference) in which I explained ( I hope I explained) why cutters had not chance to create Brands even with "support " from DTC and why cutters need create Brands to retain profit from innovation

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I voted old boys club because it sounds like it is ripe for an anti-trust suit in the US and EU.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2009 3:49:49 PM

Todd,

Cutters need do Brands. It is right direction. Unfortunately nobody did right steps yet in this direction. You can not prepay for Brand

If you want I can send you my Surat report ( I did report in 26 December 2006 on Surat conference) in which I explained ( I hope I explained) why cutters had not chance to create Brands even with ''support '' from DTC and why cutters need create Brands to retain profit from innovation
Well said.
Its not brands that are a problem it is how brands were implemented and marketed that was a problem.
You can not spend a brand into existence.

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
Hmm, I am not sure consumers need to be reminded that they want diamonds... Though in a post "Blood Diamond" world, I hear a lot of young women my age insist they''d only accept a sapphire/non-diamond engagement ring, so maybe working the ethics angle would make some sort of difference?

diamondbank

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/7/2009 4:03:59 PM
Author: strmrdr

Todd,

If you want I can send you my Surat report ( I did report in 26 December 2006 on Surat conference) in which I explained ( I hope I explained) why cutters had not chance to create Brands even with ''support '' from DTC and why cutters need create Brands to retain profit from innovation

Well said.

Its not brands that are a problem it is how brands were implemented and marketed that was a problem.

Could not agree more, the only people who can brand diamonds are the retailers they have spent years as the face of diamonds to the consumer you cant buy that no matter how much money you put in. Everyone knows you cant brand a diamond, you can brand a piece of diamond jewelery however and theres the added value.The money mining companies and some cutters have spent on branding a diamond is phenomenal. Most to little or no success.

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/7/2009 4:37:09 PM
Author: diamondbank

Date: 2/7/2009 4:03:59 PM

Todd,

Well said.

Could not agree more, the only people who can brand diamonds are the retailers they have spent years as the face of diamonds to the consumer you cant buy that no matter how much money you put in. Everyone knows you cant brand a diamond, you can brand a piece of diamond jewelery however and theres the added value.The money mining companies and some cutters have spent on branding a diamond is phenomenal. Most to little or no success.
Seems I am not everyone.
Cutters can brand Companies based on exclusive , unique and best for any particular market niche diamonds.(cuts) .
For example: night club diamond or most fire diamonds, or most brilliant diamond, fashion diamonds, classical diamonds, sporty diamonds, create yourself diamond for your fiancee, your second diamond,
spring diamonds, flowers diamonds, ring diamonds, ear-ing diamonds, national identity, teenager diamonds , diamond for gold wedding, ..etc

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Here in the United States, there are advertisements on television that promote things like food products, things like ''Eat Beef'' and ''Pork, it''s the other white meat'' and ''California Cheese'' and all that, so yea...

But you know what I''m really wondering? And Sergey, you''ve been around long enough to remember the fallout from the DeBeers Diamond Trading Company ''Supplier of Choice'' initiative launched in June of 2000. For those of you who weren''t involved with diamonds back then... It basically required Sightholders (cutters who buy rough from the DTC) to create, develop and market their own BRAND of diamond. There was a lot of banter from the cutters about how expensive it was to create their own brand and how unnecessary it was, etc. and if I recall correctly if you refused to create a brand, you didn''t get to buy rough from the DTC anymore... Am I right about that? And there were all sorts of cutters claiming that they couldn''t afford to be in business anymore, etc.

And now the push isn''t going to focus on diamond brands anymore, but just diamonds... I personally don''t give a rip because I look at a diamond in terms of cut quality regardless of brand, but I''d love to be a fly on the wall in the office of a few cutting houses who filed suit against the DTC for the provisions of the Supplier of Choice program. I bet I''d learn all kinds of ''new words'' today! (words that I couldn''t share here on PS)
23.gif
You mean "vertical integration"?

See..., how I see it is the fact that sight-holders didnt know how to translate it (except a single few you can count on your hand).
And DTC didnt know how to correctly describe what they meant (nor did DTC realy know what they themselves wanted).

Thats the problem..., both DeBeers (DTC) and Sightholders (Diamond manufacturers) are light-years away from the world called "JEWELRY".

I believe 90% + of Diamond manufacturers around the world have very limited knowledge where their products/wares go to. They know Diamonds (period).
They know how to purchase Rough and cut for their purposes (as opposed to the jewelers "real" needs).

A huge gap with plenty of opportunities to fill and explore.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/8/2009 3:41:12 AM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)
Guys is there a larger number of more famous retail brands - or a larger number of more famous manufacturers brands?
manufacturers by far

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/8/2009 5:33:02 AM

Date: 2/8/2009 3:41:12 AM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)
Guys is there a larger number of more famous retail brands - or a larger number of more famous manufacturers brands?
manufacturers by far
Defiantly. retail can not invest big sum to innovation , retail has not real motivation and aspiration for product innovation. Retail just select best available products
Only manufactures have enough knowledge and aspiration for product innovation
New Brands are not possible without innovation.

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Do you know any other industry( instead) diamond industry which promote 'generic' product to support this industry?

Here in the United States, there are advertisements on television that promote things like food products, things like 'Eat Beef' and 'Pork, it's the other white meat' and 'California Cheese' and all that, so yea...

But you know what I'm really wondering? And Sergey, you've been around long enough to remember the fallout from the DeBeers Diamond Trading Company 'Supplier of Choice' initiative launched in June of 2000. For those of you who weren't involved with diamonds back then... It basically required Sightholders (cutters who buy rough from the DTC) to create, develop and market their own BRAND of diamond. There was a lot of banter from the cutters about how expensive it was to create their own brand and how unnecessary it was, etc. and if I recall correctly if you refused to create a brand, you didn't get to buy rough from the DTC anymore... Am I right about that? And there were all sorts of cutters claiming that they couldn't afford to be in business anymore, etc.

And now the push isn't going to focus on diamond brands anymore, but just diamonds... I personally don't give a rip because I look at a diamond in terms of cut quality regardless of brand, but I'd love to be a fly on the wall in the office of a few cutting houses who filed suit against the DTC for the provisions of the Supplier of Choice program. I bet I'd learn all kinds of 'new words' today! (words that I couldn't share here on PS)
23.gif
re:'Pork, it's the other white meat'

'Diamond, It's the other luxury product."
I hope diamond industry could avoid so deep degradation .

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
What other option is there for diamond miners/producers?

Demand worldwide has fallen somewhere between 10 and 20% at the consumer-level. Because of the ripple-effect, this results in a reduction of demand for rough diamonds of more than 50%. With a number of manufacturers, their demand for rough diamonds has fallen to zero.

With the big manufacturing houses and wholesalers worrying mostly if their customer will not go belly-up, it is clear that these have little to no room to increase their advertising-spent. Organizing advertising-campaigns in favor of all diamonds is the only thing they can do.

What the producers are trying to do here, can be compared to the huge bank bailout. If they do not come to the support of the whole industry, there will be huge companies failing. At the same time, they are also reducing their production by closing mines, sometimes temporarily.

And it is funny to see them currently standing in line in order to possibly supply our company. When the majority of banks has a portfolio of bad-credits, you need to go looking for the small player that has stayed away from the game.

Live long,

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/9/2009 12:33:56 PM
Author: Paul-Antwerp
What other option is there for diamond miners/producers?

Demand worldwide has fallen somewhere between 10 and 20% at the consumer-level. Because of the ripple-effect, this results in a reduction of demand for rough diamonds of more than 50%. With a number of manufacturers, their demand for rough diamonds has fallen to zero.

With the big manufacturing houses and wholesalers worrying mostly if their customer will not go belly-up, it is clear that these have little to no room to increase their advertising-spent. Organizing advertising-campaigns in favor of all diamonds is the only thing they can do.

What the producers are trying to do here, can be compared to the huge bank bailout. If they do not come to the support of the whole industry, there will be huge companies failing. At the same time, they are also reducing their production by closing mines, sometimes temporarily.

And it is funny to see them currently standing in line in order to possibly supply our company. When the majority of banks has a portfolio of bad-credits, you need to go looking for the small player that has stayed away from the game.

Live long,
Every economic or other crisis is a doorway to opportunities...
Small players/companies who are able and willing to think out of the box have a super advantage over big companies in steering through the rough oceans...

Like I said many times previously..., SMALL PEOPLE WITH BIG IDEAS WILL WIN OVER BIG PEOPLE WITH SMALL IDEAS!!!

There is no better time than now for implementations. We just need to be very careful..., there is NO room for mistakes to be made
1.gif

Todd Gray

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Sergey, I''d love to read a copy of your report. Please do email it to me.

I agree with Paul that the smaller players who have lower operating expenses often weather uncertain times better than larger companies with different divisions which may not be in touch with the expenses and operations of another. I''m glad to hear that the rough vendors are knocking on your door because that means more stuff for Wink and I to play with!
3.gif

There are definitely more well known diamonds brands from a manufacturer level than well known in-store brands, with perhaps the exception of an online realm like Price Scope where the in-house brands of the more well known vendors have been talked about so much within the forum that they are in essence a "household name" here on PS. Arguably "Infinity" / "Nice Ice" / "A Cut Above" / "Good Old Gold" and others are "brands" in their own right due to the selection process that we''ve (all) become known for over the years, however we''re not as well known as somebody like "Hearts on Fire" who''s tossed how many of millions into advertising? The power of the internet, you''ve got to love it as a marketing venue and educational resource. What did we ever do without it? When we first came online in the beginning of 1997, fewer than 12% of jewelers in America had email accounts! Then again, I can remember when we purchased our first fax machine and asked a cutter to fax us a copy of a lab report... The response was "Fux? Wut is this Fux muchin'' you talk ''bout?" (No, I''m not swearing, it''s Ebonics for cutters). Now the same guys are like "I''ll fux you a copy (of) the report" and those of us who have been on the net for years are saying "Fax it?!?! Can''t you email it?!?!" Spending money on print ads to build a brand, silly rabbits, print is so last year.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Speaking only as a consumer it sounds like a complete and total waste of money to me?

99% of newly engaged couples in America already want to buy a diamond. Are they trying to go after the remaining 1%, or is the focus on convincing other countries that diamonds are the engagement ring?

I guess I don''t understand what more can be accomplished since DeBeers has already done the "diamonds are forever" and "spend 2-3 months salary on the ring".

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/9/2009 2:39:37 PM

I agree with Paul that the smaller players who have lower operating expenses often weather uncertain times better than larger companies with different divisions which may not be in touch with the expenses and operations of another. I''m glad to hear that the rough vendors are knocking on your door because that means more stuff for Wink and I to play with!
3.gif

There are definitely more well known diamonds brands from a manufacturer level than well known in-store brands, with perhaps the exception of an online realm like Price Scope where the in-house brands of the more well known vendors have been talked about so much within the forum that they are in essence a ''household name'' here on PS. Arguably ''Infinity'' / ''Nice Ice'' / ''A Cut Above'' / ''Good Old Gold'' and others are ''brands'' in their own right due to the selection process that we''ve (all) become known for over the years, however we''re not as well known as somebody like ''Hearts on Fire'' who''s tossed how many of millions into advertising? The power of the internet, you''ve got to love it as a marketing venue and educational resource. What did we ever do without it? When we first came online in the beginning of 1997, fewer than 12% of jewelers in America had email accounts! Then again, I can remember when we purchased our first fax machine and asked a cutter to fax us a copy of a lab report... The response was ''Fux? Wut is this Fux muchin'' you talk ''bout?'' (No, I''m not swearing, it''s Ebonics for cutters). Now the same guys are like ''I''ll fux you a copy (of) the report'' and those of us who have been on the net for years are saying ''Fax it?!?! Can''t you email it?!?!'' Spending money on print ads to build a brand, silly rabbits, print is so last year.
Hi Todd,

re:Sergey, I''d love to read a copy of your report. Please do email it to me.

Please use http://www.octonus.com/oct/support/SubmitTicket.phtml to send your email address which I can use for 6Mb letter.

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Todd,
re:There are definitely more well known diamonds brands from a manufacturer level than well known in-store brands,

Really? What manufactures diamond brands does USA consumer know?

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/9/2009 2:39:37 PM

3.gif

There are definitely more well known diamonds brands from a manufacturer level than well known in-store brands, with perhaps the exception of an online realm like Price Scope where the in-house brands of the more well known vendors have been talked about so much within the forum that they are in essence a ''household name'' here on PS. Arguably ''Infinity'' / ''Nice Ice'' / ''A Cut Above'' / ''Good Old Gold'' and others are ''brands'' in their own right due to the selection process that we''ve (all) become known for over the years, however we''re not as well known as somebody like ''Hearts on Fire'' who''s tossed how many of millions into advertising? The power of the internet, you''ve got to love it as a marketing venue and educational resource. What did we ever do without it? When we first came online in the beginning of 1997, fewer than 12% of jewelers in America had email accounts! Then again, I can remember when we purchased our first fax machine and asked a cutter to fax us a copy of a lab report... The response was ''Fux? Wut is this Fux muchin'' you talk ''bout?'' (No, I''m not swearing, it''s Ebonics for cutters). Now the same guys are like ''I''ll fux you a copy (of) the report'' and those of us who have been on the net for years are saying ''Fax it?!?! Can''t you email it?!?!'' Spending money on print ads to build a brand, silly rabbits, print is so last year.
Todd..., I am afraid thats not good enough.
You must be innovative to weather this one (not a storm but more like a tsunami)! Lower operating expenses will only help for the near term..., to survive and cruise into the longer term..., innovation is key.

But as I see it..., there was never a better time than now for smaller players to take advantage of current market conditions and adapt them to innovations!

Thinking out of the box is the key and must to survival!

And participation is needed by manufacturers and retailers as one.

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
re:RAPAPORT... Stephen Lussier, executive director of De Beers, delivered the keynote address at the Mining Indaba in Cape Town on February 10, 2009. In his speech, Lussier outlined the bold actions that De Beers has taken to weather the current global economic downturn.

Lussier's presentation

Is quality this presentation adequate for De Beers executive director?

quality information and presentation on pages 6,15,17,19 shocked me

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/10/2009 11:10:08 AM

re:RAPAPORT... Stephen Lussier, executive director of De Beers, delivered the keynote address at the Mining Indaba in Cape Town on February 10, 2009. In his speech, Lussier outlined the bold actions that De Beers has taken to weather the current global economic downturn.

Lussier''s presentation

Depends to who its aimed
31.gif

6------ Nice for Idex..., nono for the DeBeers
14.gif
15---- Again..., to who is it aimed? Perhaps DeBeers doesnt think the ability to read its work is important enough....
27.gif

17 and 19 is not shocking to me..., but again..., I dont expect more. (19 just doesnt make sense altogether.

But again..., who is the crowd? And I am not shocked DeBeers allowes itself to look from above the rest...
20.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock

Lussier''s presentation

If that is the best they can do the industry is lucky that DeBeers isn''t in control more than they are now.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/10/2009 1:43:46 PM

Lussier''s presentation

If that is the best they can do the industry is lucky that DeBeers isn''t in control more than they are now.
The industry is very lucky...
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results