shape
carat
color
clarity

Stay the blazes home

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
I'm Canadian and live in BC. I also work for a ferry corporation. Our borders are closed. Exactly what that means as far as essential service and people traveling to Alaska I can't say, but I'm pretty damn sure that the American families I'm seeing are none of the above. They are clearly off the beaten path for those supposedly traveling to a distant American state. You will not be welcomed, we aren't happy to see you at this time. American families travelling and obviously holidaying are being targeted in various ways by Canadians, which I don't condone. My people are frustrated, worried, and acting out of fear.
Stay the blazes home.

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Our boarder thankfully is the ocean but we are only letting citizens and perminate residents back in to go straight to quareteen which is costing so much money for the taxpayer
i kind of think if NZ wasn't good enough for you the last 4 or 5 years, why didn't you come home a few months ago when all this started ?
why should you come home now because covid is coming back in with you

While i have the upmost sympathy for the situation the US finds in self in with so many people dying from covid im with Canada on this

Mekp

Shiny_Rock
Agreed. We love our American friends and family, but we need to keep our border closed and ensure those that are exempt and permitted through follow our laws.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m American and I think no one should be leaving the country. I don’t even think travel for fun in the US should be happening.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm Canadian and live in BC. I also work for a ferry corporation. Our borders are closed. Exactly what that means as far as essential service and people traveling to Alaska I can't say, but I'm pretty damn sure that the American families I'm seeing are none of the above. They are clearly off the beaten path for those supposedly traveling to a distant American state. You will not be welcomed, we aren't happy to see you at this time. American families travelling and obviously holidaying are being targeted in various ways by Canadians, which I don't condone. My people are frustrated, worried, and acting out of fear.
Stay the blazes home.

LOL!! I'm American and I completely echo the sentiment to the Americans!!!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Californian here. Persona non grata in many parts of the world, and I totally understand.
Stay safe out there, even if it means rolling up that welcome mat for a while!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
We all miss our oversees visitors (and the money you spend)

when i was a kid there was this domestic advertizing campaign that worked very well

don't leave home till you see the country

Country could eaiserly be substituted for state in the USA, Canada and Australia

If you can safely go out, spend your money close to home and keep your neighbours in a job

And tourist operators how about adjusting your pricing to cater to the domestic market

And don't forget your mask !

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nobody should be leaving THEIR HOME, unless essential.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
It is so hard on my Wifey4vr not being able to get to her moms side with the passing of her dad recently. She is in NS.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree @Begonia. Americans stay in our country til the pandemic is over. Please be respectful of everyone.

I also feel that way with people coming to states that have lower numbers from states that have higher numbers if they are not properly quarantining for 2 weeks. Their behavior is selfish and reckless IMO if they come from a hard hit state to a state where it is more controlled and then go about their daily business ie beaches, restaurants etc.

If you must travel within the USA please do so responsibly and quarantine when you get to your destination for everyone's safety. And most definitely I am with you @Begonia and everyone who shares the same sentiment. Americans (and others from hard hit countries) need to stay home and away from other countries for the good of all.

Screen Shot 2020-07-15 at 4.27.37 AM.png

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We would love to be able to see our only child, he lives in the US, and we’ve had 2 visits this year cancelled, BUT, during this pandemic, there’s no way we would travel (even if it was permitted), nor would he want us to and put ourselves at risk. I just don’t understand why anyone would think it’s OK to travel somewhere else just for the sake of a taking a trip. We’re reconciled to it being over a year since we last saw him, it’s just the way it is, and we can’t do anything about it. Better for us all to stay safe and healthy, than take the risk.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We would love to be able to see our only child, he lives in the US, and we’ve had 2 visits this year cancelled, BUT, during this pandemic, there’s no way we would travel (even if it was permitted), nor would he want us to and put ourselves at risk. I just don’t understand why anyone would think it’s OK to travel somewhere else just for the sake of a taking a trip. We’re reconciled to it being over a year since we last saw him, it’s just the way it is, and we can’t do anything about it. Better for us all to stay safe and healthy, than take the risk.

Because people are selfish and foolish. And that is a very bad combination.

:/

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

The actual travelling part seems way too risky
Its like if you don't have covid when you leave home you will have contracted it by the time you arrive

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
People are just bizzare sometimes.

Queensland has had to have trucks checked in case there are stowaways trying to sneak into Queensland.

Obviously there is no humanitarian crisis to flee from in Victoria. People just want to sneak into Queensland. It's baffling.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I’m American and am ashamed to say so right now with the behavior of so many of my fellow citizens. Very few people seem to get the concept of doing something for the greater good....wearing a mask is really not that much to ask, yet here in the South, I’d say about 50% of people I see in the grocery store aren’t wearing them. We will never get out of the hole we’ve dug for ourselves if we can’t work together. :angryfire::blackeye:

Good for your countries to do the right thing for its citizens and protect you when possible!

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m American and am ashamed to say so right now with the behavior of so many of my fellow citizens. Very few people seem to get the concept of doing something for the greater good....wearing a mask is really not that much to ask, yet here in the South, I’d say about 50% of people I see in the grocery store aren’t wearing them. We will never get out of the hole we’ve dug for ourselves if we can’t work together. :angryfire::blackeye:

Good for your countries to do the right thing for its citizens and protect you when possible!

Agree wholeheartedly, everywhere I go, hardly anyone wearing masks. So sad people won't take it seriously.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My state in the United States is one of three among the 50 with a falling covid19 case rate. I wish everyone in my state would stay home. I am still, basically, sheltering in place. I go to the grocery store and drive through the bank. I still have the issue of living with people who go out more. I do not feel safe. I made my first hairdresser's appointment for August 10. I also had one in-person appointment with my internist who just opened his office again. But I am scared. I think the coronavirus can come roaring back to New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut and I can be among the victims of the next wave. I am not tempting fate, but I know that many people who did not succumbed to it anyway.

I would definitely not send my daughter to school if she were still school age. People have to wear masks in stores and they do. We got used to the virus by getting hit hard early and getting shut down (New York area).

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Could your MIL come and stay with you guys for a while ?
She must be very lonelly
We talked about her going to her other daughters place in the US which is far closer but someone would have to pick her up and drive her.
Because she cant fly on a plane and flights are huge $$.
Which with the border closed cant be done either.
She has lots of friends who are taking good care of her.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
A couple from Florida (!) came thru somehow and didn't quarantine, and they've been charged and fined. Small comfort knowing the people they might have exposed. Now public health has to do all the contact tracing.

This isn't the year for holidaying folks. Stay home and save your pennies, because the way things are going, you're going to need it.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Canada doesn't have closed borders really. All you have to do is fly in.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Likewise I have some Canadian neighbors who I see in the winter (they drive down yearly). Y'all, please don't come down here until you are sure this shit is gone.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I utterly agree that people should not be traveling at all, internationally or domestically, right now, and that they should be staying home except for the most essential of reasons.

That said, I have a bit of a hypothetical question for the Canadians here: what would you as Canadians think of Americans who've been very careful about their exposure risk slipping through not to do a fun travel visit or for recreation, but looking to stay for a while for reasons of not being safe in the US and who were very open about being from America, quarantined themselves for an extra-long time, and did everything they possibly could to prevent risk to Canadians? Oh, and weren't going to try to take a job from anyone or need any kind of financial assistance during the pandemic. I'm not referring so much to the current laws around the matter, but just what your average Canadian would think of those people. I guess what you could deem "super-responsible but desperate COVID refugees." Because it's getting increasingly difficult here for even the strictest of us to stay away from it, and I'm predicting that will get worse. For example, they're forcing even high-risk people to do jury duty in person in the middle of this, for crying out loud, with the kind of numbers we have and with no option to use online video conferencing instead, and they're not offering any other options for drivers license renewals than to go in in person, take off masks for pictures, and stick your face in the full-face device that everyone else's face has been in for the vision test. There's plenty more, but those are just a couple examples. It's everywhere, between the behavior and attitudes of private individuals to public and government policy, at least where I'm at, because that policy is all being set by people with the same "it's only the flu, it's a conspiracy, we can't hurt the economy, just suck it up, everyone dies" beliefs.

I'm feeling increasingly unsafe and desperate here. Honestly, DH and I want out permanently, and I think the only thing stopping us is that no one is letting Americans in at all. Which I understand from their perspective, but......we feel like if we stay here any longer, we're going to die.

Sorry......just....desperate and rambling.

Last edited:

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@OboeGal I know you didn't ask me but as an Aussie, if you could magically appear and quarantined yourself and brought all your money for our economy I'd welcome you with open arms.

I actually suspect our government at some point will let people in, lock them up for 14 days and then set them free so they'll bring in the cash.

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@OboeGal I know you didn't ask me but as an Aussie, if you could magically appear and quarantined yourself and brought all your money for our economy I'd welcome you with open arms.

I actually suspect our government at some point will let people in, lock them up for 14 days and then set them free so they'll bring in the cash.

OMG, I can't tell you how much I would love that. Being in Australia is my dream!

Mekp

Shiny_Rock
I utterly agree that people should not be traveling at all, internationally or domestically, right now, and that they should be staying home except for the most essential of reasons.

That said, I have a bit of a hypothetical question for the Canadians here: what would you as Canadians think of Americans who've been very careful about their exposure risk slipping through not to do a fun travel visit or for recreation, but looking to stay for a while for reasons of not being safe in the US and who were very open about being from America, quarantined themselves for an extra-long time, and did everything they possibly could to prevent risk to Canadians? Oh, and weren't going to try to take a job from anyone or need any kind of financial assistance during the pandemic. I'm not referring so much to the current laws around the matter, but just what your average Canadian would think of those people. I guess what you could deem "super-responsible but desperate COVID refugees." Because it's getting increasingly difficult here for even the strictest of us to stay away from it, and I'm predicting that will get worse. For example, they're forcing even high-risk people to do jury duty in person in the middle of this, for crying out loud, with the kind of numbers we have and with no option to use online video conferencing instead, and they're not offering any other options for drivers license renewals than to go in in person, take off masks for pictures, and stick your face in the full-face device that everyone else's face has been in for the vision test. There's plenty more, but those are just a couple examples. It's everywhere, between the behavior and attitudes of private individuals to public and government policy, at least where I'm at, because that policy is all being set by people with the same "it's only the flu, it's a conspiracy, we can't hurt the economy, just suck it up, everyone dies" beliefs.

I'm feeling increasingly unsafe and desperate here. Honestly, DH and I want out permanently, and I think the only thing stopping us is that no one is letting Americans in at all. Which I understand from their perspective, but......we feel like if we stay here any longer, we're going to die.

Sorry......just....desperate and rambling.

I appreciate your situation. It really sucks.

It's an interesting question. While there is part of me that is very reluctant to say yes, I would be ok with that plan (my mom is incredibly high risk and I'm terrified about her catching it), I also strongly believe in Canada being a safe haven for others who are not safe in their home country. I can certainly see that the USA is not safe for many right now.

My husband's family immigrated to Canada from the US just before he was born. They felt increasingly unsafe where they were in the States, discovered Toronto and moved their family here in 1976. If you are serious about coming here, whether during this current crisis or afterwards, I know you will find a welcoming home.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results