shape
carat
color
clarity

Starting from Scratch

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

indigo

Rough_Rock
I am just beginning to research diamonds and rings as I expect to be engaged within a few months. I'm rather picky and this might take a while (a girl's gotta be ready, right?).
I want a platinum ring with a diamond between .5 and .8 ct.
I really need general advice on how to go about this. Should I find the diamond that I want online and then take it to a local jeweler?
I think that I will look for a G/H in the VS range. I really like the ideal cut diamonds and should be able to afford one since I'm not wanting a large stone. I feel like I should get the best stone that I can afford, but which Cs are the most important? Is it better to skimp on color or clarity?I haven't found any rings that I like locally so should I have one "made" or find that online also? I like old engraved rings rather than the more modern look.
Can you recommend a few sites for purchasing diamonds and especially rings?ALSO, I hate tiffany settings. I like bevel settings. It seems like that would prevent a lot of light from getting in though. What are your thoughts?

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Hi Indigo,It is great that you start studying the subject instead of rushing to the mall...Let me start from the end. If the diamond is ideal cut, bezel settings won't cause less brilliance at all. Only poor cut diamonds benefit from Tiffany or any other open type of settings.We believe that cut is the most important C but it doesn't mean than one should buy ideal cut diamond with I3 clarity... However, this is very much up to personal taste and different people can prefer other Cs.Your selection (G-VS) is very reasonable: diamond will be white and there will be no visible flaws. You might also consider good SI1 clarity if there will be no visible inclusions.You should by from vendor you most comfortable with considering all services he/she would provide - no matter whether it is internet or local store. As more you'd learn about diamonds, as easy it would be for your find trustworthy vendor.Many internet vendors could make the setting for you too including custom design so it shouldn't be a problem.Internet gives you a chance to save some money and select from thousands of diamonds including ideal cut and Hearts and Arrows diamonds that usually cost much more in the local stores.

barry

Shiny_Rock
Indigo;Of all the "C"'s, Cut is the most
important. A very well-cut G-H diamond will
visually outperform a poorly-cut
D-E stone.Barry www.superbcert.com ------------------
barry

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Hi James, interestingly, diamonds that don't leak light also don't allow it passing from pavilion to the table and crown. Hence illuminating well cut diamonds from the pavilion facets won't help while diamonds that leak light will benefit from it.

jamesd

Shiny_Rock
Repeating what the others have written, the open setting is needed to let light come in through the sides/bottom of the diamond. But the very well cut diamonds and much of the point of ideal cutting is to stop any of the light from above getting out of the sides and simultaneously stop any light which might come in from the sides get out the top. SO, pick a very well cut diamond and don't be concerned.One of the most attractive diamonds I've seen was in a bezel setting and another in a partial bezel. One on a man, the other a woman.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results