shape
carat
color
clarity

Star Padparadscha Sapphire 10.869 cts

Doveton

Rough_Rock
20200215_004748.jpg

Hi all, first time poster, I'm very new to this, a friend in Sri Lanka has this gem and has asked me to sell it in Australia due to the corruption in their home country. I was wondering if anyone knew an approximate price? I have found price guides for a Padparadscha Sapphire but not a Star Padparadscha Sapphire, I have a gem identification report also.

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
This is not a high-quality stone - it's opaque rather than transparent and I can see color banding and growth lines. It's also probably not a padparadscha. Without a gem identification report from a reputable lab (AGL, GIA, etc.), I can safely estimate the value at between $0-$100,000.00. I don't know if you're a troll or if your "friend" is pulling something on you, but this story does not add up.

Lexililac

Shiny_Rock
Main value factor is color and strengt of the star. Also overall apereance / beauty. The color looks pink and not padparadscha on the foto. The star looks very weak and the legs of the star are all broken because of the uneven texture and zoned body. Even with a reputable cert witch say unheated and padparadscha (reputable laboratories have very strong criterias in term of color to give padparadscha) it will not have a very high value as the star is to weak and the sapphire looks very uneven and not so attractive.

The corruption reason why you should sell it in Australia I not get at all. Sri Lanka is a country with a hundreds of years old gem tradition and has a huge gem industrie. Many Sri Lankan dealers travel also often to Thailand and many other countries.

The exact value of a gem not exist. Its always a more or less and depend on many many factors. So even with the label „padparadscha“ it not say automaticaly the specific gem is super beautiful and everybody want it and is willing to pay a high price.

My opinion is that it has some value because of the large size and more or less good color. But will be difficult to find a buyer because of the weak star and the much zoning. After my opinion what I can see on the pic its less then 10k

In many Asian countries with long gem history customers accept also much more „inperfection“ like uneven color, zoning, inclusions ect. In some cases its even appriciated and people see beauty in it. Were in the industrialized western countries without deep gem history customers see „inperfection“ as something bad and its very quickly a dealbreaker. There a gem should be as even and perfect as a furniture out of a cataloge or some expensive shoes. So that one seems to me not very easy to sell in Australia.

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That isn't a pad stone by any stretch.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sorry but it Is visually very similar in appearance to star rose quartz. And will be hard to sell for $$$$s because it looks so similar, but is notably less clean.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you need to know for sure what it is, have it checked by an independent lab, get a report.

Based on the images, The stone has a very pretty body color, but this is not a very good quality star sapphire. A good to great star sapphire will have at least 5 legs, every straight and visible, star would be well centered in the stone. The body would need to be more transparent as well.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry but it Is visually very similar in appearance to star rose quartz. And will be hard to sell for $$$$s because it looks so similar, but is notably less clean.

My exact thoughts as well.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Out of curiosity how much did your friend from Sri Lanka say he wanted for it? I'm friends with a few dealers from Sri Lanka they ALWAYS know the prices for everything....

Doveton

Rough_Rock
Screenshot_20200215-004650_Gallery.jpg 20200215_005256.jpg

Doveton

Rough_Rock
Sorry for those who thought I was trolling, I honestly don't know anything about gems. He was led to believe it was worth a huge amount but it appears not by the opinions here...

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry for those who thought I was trolling, I honestly don't know anything about gems. He was led to believe it was worth a huge amount but it appears not by the opinions here...

I can tell you I based it solely on the images presented. Even with that report, I would still have pause. First, I don't know that lab. I would want to go through a top tier lab like on level with GIA to see what those results were.

I don't feel you were trolling. Maybe feeling you were trolled! A natural star sapphire of some size thats got very good quality will cost money, a pad even more so. But... I'll be honest; based on the images you presented, I would not give it a 2nd look.

Rember, we're a board of consumers first and foremost. if you ask opinion you'll get it.

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
The report doesn't mention treatment (or even the type of gem on the ID report). I think the lab is just made up. There is no way that someone knowledgable about gems would have bought this stone with this ID report. If he/she is not knowledgable about gems, I do not understand why 1) it was purchased in the first place and 2) why it's being pawned off to someone with even less knowledge. I certainly hope no money has been spent by OP during this interaction.

JackTrick

Brilliant_Rock
Out of curiosity, is it actually transparent? It looks opaque, but I noter the lab claimed it as transparent.

Doveton

Rough_Rock
Hi all, it's my boyfriends friend, he found the rock himself and got it valued. Here is a report from another lab, but again I do not know if they're reliable. No money has changed hands, he actually said if we lined up a buyer he'd give us 10%, so at no point would I be giving them any money... Screenshot_20200216-181130_Messages.jpg

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think perhaps you had better go back to your boyfriend's friend and ask how much he is expecting he might get for it.

Then list it to loupetroop, (please don't attach any information here about the listing, it's not allowed). As long as you are honest you can try listing it for what you might think it would be worth and then decreasing the price if it doesn't sell.

For a benchmark on price you can look here

Don't forget that gems typically go for 30% less when sold through second hand retail on sites like loupetroop (you should be expecting to be operating in this model).

It will be difficult to target consumers in a particular country like australia this way. If you want to do this (e.g. so that you can avoid issues with it getting lost in the post) then you may be able to find a retailer like the real real or someone who takes and resells personal items (you'd have to check carefully as many of these only sell finished jewelery).

Not to be doom and gloom, but you may not make much off this at all. It is so similar to rose quartz that I would have trouble buying it without a better lab report (as instinctually my head is screaming rose quartz). You may want to think about how much time you wish to invest then calculate how much return you might get and weigh up whether it is worth it for you.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
This might belong here - www

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi all, it's my boyfriends friend, he found the rock himself and got it valued. Here is a report from another lab, but again I do not know if they're reliable. No money has changed hands, he actually said if we lined up a buyer he'd give us 10%, so at no point would I be giving them any money... Screenshot_20200216-181130_Messages.jpg

This just sounds so shady. I think this person is either confused, got lied to, or is lying.

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
He "found the rock himself." :roll2: Neither lab report is reputable. I looked up the second lab, FGL, the "French Gemological Laboratory" not to be confused with the legitimate lab, LFG, "French Gemmological Laboratory." The FGL website is amateurish and full of typos, but beyond that, the "lab" is seemingly run by a single individual in Sri Lanka. There is no mention of what services he offers or what equipment he possesses; there is basically no way that a lone gem "expert" would have access to the types of machinery needed to accurately ID gems and levels of treatment. I actually don't think it's okay to try to sell this gem as a padparadscha sapphire without having any real information on whether or not it's even a sapphire, not to mention that its treatment level is a complete unknown. I stand by my valuation of $0-$100,000.

tapio

Shiny_Rock
20200215_004748.jpg

Hi all, first time poster, I'm very new to this, a friend in Sri Lanka has this gem and has asked me to sell it in Australia due to the corruption in their home country. I was wondering if anyone knew an approximate price? I have found price guides for a Padparadscha Sapphire but not a Star Padparadscha Sapphire, I have a gem identification report also.

This is a really interesting star pad. I like the subtlties.

JimiP

Rough_Rock
A Star Padparadscha Sapphire is extremely rare. I have seen only 3 in my 20 years and all were from Sri Lanka with only one with good transparency. padpas usually lack the rutile silk needed for the asterism. As for price, the seller should always name his/her price if they intend to sell. It certainly is a unique piece. Do ask for the price from the owner.
Below is one that I have

Attachments

• A57157BF-CC1D-4726-BA13-C563BDF318AF.png
    A57157BF-CC1D-4726-BA13-C563BDF318AF.png
    916.4 KB · Views: 15
  • CB00D45A-0CED-4C85-8D25-DDA195D4432C.jpeg
    CB00D45A-0CED-4C85-8D25-DDA195D4432C.jpeg
    144.4 KB · Views: 12
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results