shape
carat
color
clarity

Star 129

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

captainahab

Rough_Rock
Ok, diamond experts. I''ve been lurking here for awhile, and now it''s time to get down to business.

I''ve been looking for a diamond for a little while, and found a very nice one in the local jewelry store. It has incredible brilliantscope ratings: were Very High for White Light, Very High for Color Light and Off the charts for Scintillation. Simply put, it''s a pretty sparkly rock.

One caveat, it''s a Star 129 diamond. A different cut, very similar to a Brilliant Round, but with 129 facets.

Has anyone heard of this cut? Its only offered from one company: Star Diamond Group. It seems liek the real deal, but I can''t find any info on these diamonds on the web. Help!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have no idea on this particular type of cut, but run a few searches on other types of extra faceted cuts like the Leo diamond etc...many people are not keen on them. IMO..why cut a stone with 129 facets when if you were GOOD, you could get the same bscope results and cut an excellent 57/58 faceted regular modern brilliant stone? What do the extra facets bring? What are they hiding?

However, if you like the stone and the Bscope ratings are excellent, it may be the stone for you.

I would note that if it has 129 facets, its nothing like a modern round brilliant. It may be round, but its another type of bird altogether!
1.gif

One thing that I have seen people say as well is that when they see these extra faceted stones, they almost don't look like real diamonds. I don't know that my personal tastes would run to something that doesn't look like a regular diamond.

Hopefully one of the experts can chime in and let us know if they have heard of this cut. Let us know what you decide and if you get it, we'd love to see pix.

captainahab

Rough_Rock
Thanks Mara. I had the exact same thought, "Why the extra facets?" And yes, I did think to myself, "hmm, too much sparkle? Not "diamondy" enough?" But what do I know about too much sparkle?

Still, I would greatly appreciate more advice. I put down a few hundred bucks to hold it, cause it was a good deal, and I'd like to know whether I should hang onto it for awhiel or let it go.

magna2

Shiny_Rock
captainahab,

More importantly, have you seen these diamonds personally? If yes, how did it look to you. If you and/or the intended owner like it, that is what really matters. These extra facets are not for everyone because of our preconceived notion of what diamonds should look like. I have taken a look at Leo diamonds (100 facets) and was not overly impressed nor did I like the look, so it would be hard for me to like something that is even cut with more facets.

If you are serious about this type of diamond, be sure to also view it under ambient/diffused lighting in order to get a true feel on how the diamond would look/sparkle.

rodent.gif

spicolicpa

Shiny_Rock
Not many people will find the flaw in TOO MUCH sparkle........haha

If its price competitive I would use this as a starting point and bench mark other well cut stones BrillianceScopes against it. I am a big fan of the B-scope as a method of narrowing the choices. Its just difficult to find B-scope runs on non-ideals.

captainahab

Rough_Rock
In any light, it sparkled more than the other AGS 0 rocks I looked at, and was priced about the same. I was told that the Star company sets the price for the dealer, to keep it in line with similar ideal cuts since they want their new cut to catch on ( and the jeweler was very accomodating and has a good, honest reputation). It had only one inclusion, and the meaurements seemed inline with what I'd read here. I looked at it very carefully, and it seemed like a nice one.

My ony real complaint was the one Mara mentioned. It didn't "look like a real diamond" I couldn't decide if that was good, bad, or irelevant.

The only other thing I could find regarding the Star cut online was a mention that it may not have a good resale value. But that better not ever be an issue.
1.gif

Caratz

Shiny_Rock
Another factor to consider is that if you think you might someday want to upgrade or exchange, it might be difficult to sell or trade in a non-standard cut.

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
I think the jury's still out on whether or not extra facets equal extra light return, extra value, or extra special marketing plan.
1.gif
There was a thread a few weeks back on this subject - someone representing Leo diamonds posted to it - and it was quite interesting.

Having seen both the Zoe and the Leo in person, I didn't think that they weren't diamond-like in appearance - but they did look somewhat different when compared to a well cut 57/58 faceted round. The difference didn't mean these stones were better to me, either. But if you like this stone, and your intended wearer likes it, that's all that truly matters.
1.gif

magna2

Shiny_Rock
I second what canadiangrrl posted - if you and your intended like it then get it.

BTW canadiangrrl, great new avatar.

rodent.gif

captainahab

Rough_Rock
http://www.Star-Direct.com/

Here's a link for the diamond itself. It looks to me like all of the extra facets are on the bottom. Similar to a Leo but even more cuts.

Thanks for the comments. It sounds like it may be a personal preference thing, but I've got thirty days, so if anyone has any more insight, I'd love to hear it.

spicolicpa

Shiny_Rock
Now thats a sexy webpage! Love the groovin' music!

At first glance the stone looked "wierd"...but everything new looks "different"

But they back their claims with a GemEx report on every stone..to me thats means there is more to their claims than just marketing.

Man I would love to get an Idealscope of one of these diamonds.

If their Gemex's reflect a greater light return than the standard Ideal Cut diamond.....you gotta give them a second look.

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock
You will get more scintillation (sparkle) with all those facets, but I doubt you will get more light return. With that many facets in the pavilion, aligning them all correctly to return light through the crown would be quite a bit more difficult than with a standard round brilliant, and this is even without considering that there are decades of research on the proper angles for a RB and nothing for a new cut like this one.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok... Those Briliance Scope readings can be achieved with the standard number of facets. I hapened to handle samples of some of these new, branded diamond designs. They look like diamonds all right, the extrafacets does produce more 'pin fire' sparkle rather than broader 'flashes', but this effect, I find, does not look blatantly different in smaller stones (at least when you leave that 10X home). All these are a matter of taste, which is exactly what the creators of that brand hoped for: to be different. I am quite sure you are paying some premium for those extra facets. Otherwise, that is a fiery diamond indded. And... I would have NEVER guessed that anyone on PS would write doem 'TOO MUCH SPARKLE'! People here go for different cuts too: if you run a search, you will find some Regent cuts, al least.

There might be some discussion wether those extra facets guarantee extra light return, but with your stone this point is moot, since one way or another it did achieve this. No other white stone matches diamonds in optical properties (leaving the cut aside), there will never be doubt what the stone is. Your choice, I guess, is wether the SUBTLE difference in appearence (from an equally ranking standard cut) is worth the money.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Resale value? Diamonds don't resell well to start with. You will face the same difficulty the primary seller faces (selling something great, but somewhat different). They do charge a premium. so, it can't be that bad. Buying any diamond for its resale value is a NO GO... (run a search on "investment" to get some hints from around here.

PS: I did not see this branded cut yet. As far as I see the crown has a standard cut, while those extra facets are all on the girdle and pavilion... Is the result really all that different? I was rather dissapointed with the mild 'uniqueness' of other new round cuts (Leo it's contentious Spirit-of-Flanders cousin, and some others, less extravagant). Maybe this one would make my day!

captainahab

Rough_Rock
I'll head over to the jeweler sometime next week and get some measurements and maybe a photocopy of the brilliantscope ratings, or anything else I can acquire and post them here. Maybe that'll help judge whether or not it's a good deal.

Here in Minneapolis, there seems to be a growing battle on the airwaves about these stones. They've been selling well for the one jeweler that carries them (Arthur's for any locals) who imply that more facets equals more sparkle while the other jewelers have taken out ads degrading the "other jewelers who add extra facets." Pretty amusing really, but I wonder who is right, if anyone.

magna2

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 11/21/2003 9:10:39 AM captainahab wrote:

Here in Minneapolis, there seems to be a growing battle on the airwaves about these stones. They've been selling well for the one jeweler that carries them (Arthur's for any locals) who imply that more facets equals more sparkle while the other jewelers have taken out ads degrading the 'other jewelers who add extra facets.' Pretty amusing really, but I wonder who is right, if anyone.----------------

Both camps are right. As LawGem stated, more facets means more scintillation (or sparkle) but less light return back to the eyes.

rodent.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 11/21/2003 9:10:39 AM captainahab wrote:

Here in Minneapolis, there seems to be a growing battle on the airwaves about these stones. They've been selling well for the one jeweler that carries them (Arthur's for any locals) who imply that more facets equals more sparkle while the other jewelers have taken out ads degrading the 'other jewelers who add extra facets.' Pretty amusing really, but I wonder who is right, if anyone.----------------

Same on Pricescope--- only the debate is somewhat more mild, and certainly more disinterested. I had my part of fun listening to such things, but why bother, really. It all boild down to comparing two stones and get whichever you like: all diamond cuts have their promotters and detractors and, ultimately, their value is a matter of history unforlding. After all, the old cuts are IN again, and being produced as a novelty 70 years after. Personally I love rose and table cuts (this makes me part of a SMALL but global and enduring tribe, as I gradually learned) and diamonds are diamonds, no matter how many facets are there, be it 5 (no joke, this was something called 'point cut') or 105.

Does this sound like and encouragement? Sure, this is what it is!

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm on the horn with these guys now and will investigate further.

I like exploring.
9.gif
If they send me some stones for review I'll let ya know my .02c

Rhino

captainahab

Rough_Rock
Thanks Rhino!

I was hoping you might join in on this. I eagerly await your evaluation.

captainahab

Rough_Rock
Rhino, any word on the Star 129 diamonds?

fernlet

Rough_Rock
captainahab:

I also hail from Mpls/St. Paul and just wanted to quick recommend my jeweler (from whom we just purchased a 1.51, H&A round brilliant set in white gold). His name is Brian Knox and he owns Certified Diamond House which is on Lyndale in Uptown.

He can obtain diamonds with whatever specs you're looking for. We paid slightly more than internet pricing (plus tax, ARGH) but it was worth it to me in terms of having a B&M jeweler for repairs, etc.

Let me know if you want more info.

Roxy

Brilliant_Rock
I'm interested in hearing (reading) about Rhino's analysis on the star 129 as well!

grapegravity

Shiny_Rock
My e-ring is a 128 facets RB white gold/platinum ring... and I have been getting many compliments about my ring already (I have lost count on how many people come up to me and asking me where I purchase my ring) It is more sparkly than other diamond ring I have seen in the market... But my boyfriend did pay extra $$$ for this ring comparing with the same quality of diamond in 58 facets... I just thought that I'll share my experience on here...

^_^

captainahab

Rough_Rock
Thanks grapegravity good to hear from someone with firsthand experience. I have about a week before my 30 days are up, so everyone's help is much appreciated.

fernlet thanks for the tip. I live in Uptown, so it would be convenient. Are they open regular hours or just by appointment? And dis you get it set there too? I'll have to check it out.

Thanks again everyone.

captainahab

Rough_Rock
Keeping this fresh in hopes of a response from Rhino. Any news? Thanks in advance.

munchelj

Rough_Rock
We sell the STAR 129 diamonds. You should find more then enough informatin at http://www.Star-Direct.com/. There is a lot of information to type for the STAR 129. You really need to see this cut to fully appreciate it.
Let me know how I can help.

Joe

verticalhorizon

Brilliant_Rock
I wonder if Jon ever got to examine the Star129? I want to see it in an IdealScope and Brilliance Scope!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have one as my solitaire. What would you like to know>? Readings or something?

verticalhorizon

Brilliant_Rock
Well, specs would be good-thanks, but unless you have a digital camera and an IdealScope, I don't think you can help me.

Jon @ Good Old Gold puts his stones through the ringer and it makes it easier to compare against others. Once you get that kind of treatment, it's hard to go back into the dark ages of diamond shopping!

AVAGHASIYA

Rough_Rock
YES IT IS WORTH THE MONEY
ONE OF MY FRIEND BOUGHT IT 1.50 I/SI2 IT IS REALLY LOOKS GOOD
I AM PLANNING TO BUY ONE TO FOR MY WIFE
ANJAN
loopy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results