shape
carat
color
clarity

Standard name for angled princess cut mounting? (and suggestions for mountings)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

unloud

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone. I''ve been looking around for a princess cut solitaire ring to propose to my girlfriend. I know that she wants a princess cut and I know that she loves what some have called a "kite" "diamond" or "angled" mounting... I really, just wanted to ask if there is any standard for what this setting would be called, and if anyone knows of ring styles out there that have this mounting integrated (i.e., not on a soldered mounting, but one solid piece). I''d love to get her an angled setting but making sure the stone is secure and beautiful is very important to me.

Here is an example of what I''m talking about, but in a soldered mounting (which I''d rather not have):

http://www.serendipitydiamonds.co.uk/detail.asp/sku=R1D012#

Thank you so much for your help! :)

Jacob

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Jacob and welcome!

I think that is what is called a starset Princess, it may be worth asking if a standard Princess setting could be modified to accomodate this, the vendor you buy from should be able to advise.

Are you interested in buying the diamond online, or have you purchased already?

unloud

Rough_Rock
Date: 7/8/2008 4:31:13 AM
Author: Lorelei
Hi Jacob and welcome!

I think that is what is called a starset Princess, it may be worth asking if a standard Princess setting could be modified to accomodate this, the vendor you buy from should be able to advise.

Well, right now I recently became an employee at a retailer similar in size to Zales but not Zales (forgive me for not using names directly). As a part of my job I can get 50% off retail price, but even at that I am thinking I might be able to get a better deal online, and so I am still looking around for the perfect diamond. Of course, one of the things I am most nervous about is buying something I am not seeing in person and is one of my main concerns about buying online.

The place where I work doesn't really have unified shank/head mountings but I know it can be set "starset" (thank you for that, by the way) in a simple solitaire... Do you have any suggestions for a starset unified mounting, and where do you feel is the best place to look for diamonds online in terms of beauty/price?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/8/2008 4:46:01 AM
Author: unloud

Date: 7/8/2008 4:31:13 AM
Hi Jacob and welcome!

Well, right now I recently became an employee at a retailer similar in size to Zales but not Zales (forgive me for not using names directly). As a part of my job I can get 50% off retail price, but even at that I am thinking I might be able to get a better deal online, and so I am still looking around for the perfect diamond. Of course, one of the things I am most nervous about is buying something I am not seeing in person and is one of my main concerns about buying online.

The place where I work doesn't really have unified shank/head mountings but I know it can be set 'starset' (thank you for that, by the way) in a simple solitaire... Do you have any suggestions for a starset unified mounting, and where do you feel is the best place to look for diamonds online in terms of beauty/price?
I will have a look regarding the settings.

As to buying the diamond online, check out these chaps.

www.whiteflash.com They sell AGS0 cut grade Princess, also have their branded A Cut Above Princess which are handpicked and cut to very high standards. Also the vendors I will list have also done the cut analysis on each diamond so you know what you are buying and will also provide pics so you aren't buying blind. It is difficult to analyse a Princess by the numbers, so the following vendors can make life easier and advise you on the cut.

www.winkjones.com Wink offers some beautiful diamonds, AGS0 Princess and also some which are cut by Infinity, gorgeous diamonds! The beauty of buying from one of these vendors is that they have in house stones, and can advise you with the diamond in hand whether it is eyeclean or not, and answer any questions you may have.

www.goodoldgold.com Jon offers lovely Princess too.

I would have a look at these vendors to begin with, see which you like and then you can go from there.

Cut is so important as it is what gives a diamond it's beauty, if you like, give us an idea of budget, size and specs of what you are looking for, and perhaps we could suggest some diamonds you might like.

unloud

Rough_Rock
I will have a look regarding the settings.

As to buying the diamond online, check out these chaps.

www.whiteflash.com They sell AGS0 cut grade Princess, also have their branded A Cut Above Princess which are handpicked and cut to very high standards. Also the vendors I will list have also done the cut analysis on each diamond so you know what you are buying and will also provide pics so you aren''t buying blind. It is difficult to analyse a Princess by the numbers, so the following vendors can make life easier and advise you on the cut.

www.winkjones.com Wink offers some beautiful diamonds, AGS0 Princess and also some which are cut by Infinity, gorgeous diamonds! The beauty of buying from one of these vendors is that they have in house stones, and can advise you with the diamond in hand whether it is eyeclean or not, and answer any questions you may have.

www.goodoldgold.com Jon offers lovely Princess too.

I would have a look at these vendors to begin with, see which you like and then you can go from there.

Cut is so important as it is what gives a diamond it''s beauty, if you like, give us an idea of budget, size and specs of what you are looking for, and perhaps we could suggest some diamonds you might like.

This has been a ton of help so far. Really :) I looked at all three of those sites and interestingly enough there are only two diamonds that interest me, and they are both on Whiteflash here.

I really like the first one a lot (AGS-9606403), but there are two sticking points... since I want to put it in a starset, it''s really important that the diamond appear like a perfect square (or diamond) in the setting. I can''t visualize in my mind the difference in .05 between the sides and how that will appear at an angle.

The other factor I''m wondering about with the first one is the color. This diamond is going to be set in either white gold or platinum, so I''m wondering if having a color of I is no big deal? The differences between these two diamonds is so small that I am trying to realize why one is $600 than the other and yet a smaller caret.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry Unloud, I can't get the link to work for the WF diamonds...

Ok, I guess this is one of them?

http://www.whiteflash.com/aca_princess/A-Cut-Above-Princess-cut-diamond-912080.htm

That is a beautiful stone, the I colour I would think would be fine, but it depends on your preference and colour sensitivity. But an I colour with that superb cut should look very white still - if you explain your concerns to the folk at WF, they will be able to reassure you as to how the colour grade of this particular diamond shows itself. Also it shouldn't be a problem setting in plat or WG, an I should look fine.

I was thinking with the setting, you could probably tell the vendor you buy from what you want, and they could be able to produce what you want without too much difficulty, these guys do a lot of custom work and adaptations for clients. For example, the eternity band I recently bought from WF was offered in WG or plat only, I asked if it could be done in yellow gold and it was no problem at all, so it is well worth asking.

And you are most welcome, glad to help!

unloud

Rough_Rock
Date: 7/8/2008 5:56:38 AM
Sorry Unloud, I can''t get the link to work for the WF diamonds...

Ok, I guess this is one of them?

http://www.whiteflash.com/aca_princess/A-Cut-Above-Princess-cut-diamond-912080.htm

That is a beautiful stone, the I colour I would think would be fine, but it depends on your preference and colour sensitivity. But an I colour with that superb cut should look very white still - if you explain your concerns to the folk at WF, they will be able to reassure you as to how the colour grade of this particular diamond shows itself. Also it shouldn''t be a problem setting in plat or WG, an I should look fine.

I was thinking with the setting, you could probably tell the vendor you buy from what you want, and they could be able to produce what you want without too much difficulty, these guys do a lot of custom work and adaptations for clients. For example, the eternity band I recently bought from WF was offered in WG or plat only, I asked if it could be done in yellow gold and it was no problem at all, so it is well worth asking.

And you are most welcome, glad to help!

Yes, that''s the one :) One last quick question... Do you think if I decided to get a mounting like that picture I posted earlier that it would be a secure mounting for the lifetime of the diamond?

Again, thank you so much Lorelei. :)

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the setting should be secure and it has the chevron prongs which I particularly like for a Princess, as I feel it protects the corners of the diamond. Just make sure you have your prongs checked regularly as you would do anyway, and you should be fine - but as to the practicality and any particular vulnerabilities of this type of setting, your vendor should be able to advise you. I haven't seen many of these settings, although I have heard of them, now yours is the second in a week!

And you are very welcome!

Deelight

Ideal_Rock

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
That cool :)

7.gif
you poor thing I hate sore teeth. If it is inflamed lots of mouthwash and warm salt rinses help :).

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/8/2008 6:47:17 AM
Author: Deelight
That cool :)

7.gif
you poor thing I hate sore teeth. If it is inflamed lots of mouthwash and warm salt rinses help :).
* sniff* thanks Dee! They had to start a root canal yesterday, ow it '' urts!
32.gif

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
7.gif
you poor thing I have had one of those before it is terrible.

Definitely do the warm (as hot as you can handle) salt water rinses they will help keep it clean and reduce inflammation.

You have my sympathies

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/8/2008 7:15:05 AM
Author: Deelight
7.gif
you poor thing I have had one of those before it is terrible.

Definitely do the warm (as hot as you can handle) salt water rinses they will help keep it clean and reduce inflammation.

You have my sympathies
Thanks Dee, I will try that with the warm salt water. These root canals are horrible things!
39.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results