shape
carat
color
clarity

SS Red-Pink Spinels

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/29/2009 10:42:18 PM
Author: sleepyspinel
Oh Harriet... you and Tourmaline Lover are some of the most prolific posters here and ''elsewhere'' ;-) Your colored jewel adventures are always entertaining for me to read and now see pics of! As for your sugar loaf, I kind of wanted one just like it heheh. How do you plan on setting it?

Date: 5/29/2009 10:35:00 PM
Author: Harriet
Hi
35.gif
I''m not sure we''ve ''met.'' I''m surprised that you know about my sugarloaf. My sugarloaf is more pink. I wish I had the LED lights to play with. My gem has no orange though.
Hmm, give a girl a hint, please? Oh, I daren''t make a peep there. I guess you could call them "adventures."
9.gif
As for the sugarloaf, I haven''t decided on a setting yet.

sleepyspinel

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Innerkitten :)

sleepyspinel

Shiny_Rock
here is a handshot for reference and thanks LtlFirecracker!

Date: 5/29/2009 11:14:21 PM
Author: LtlFirecracker
That is a beauty!!!

388hand.jpg

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Way to go on getting those stones from David. I did get one from MC. It is a 3.5 ish cushion. A very nice orange in fluorescent and orange red in natural light. I also have a 1.8 ct trillion. That came from ebay.

I do not have any pic of the adularescence effect in my spinel. It really is not noticable unless you lare looking for it. It seems to be more of a color change in the stone in direct sunlight than anything else.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SS,
What GIA gemset color would that be?

I assumed at first you were a gentleman, but I guess you're a lady by the handshot, unless that's your significant other (I need more clues to your true identity).

sleepyspinel

Shiny_Rock
Hi TL... I like to keep em guessing
37.gif

I designed the ring as a way to showcase the stones... its rather opulent for outdoor wear. As for this stone...

GIA Code: slpR 4/4
Hue: slightly purplish red
Tone: Medium light
Saturation: moderately strong

sleepyspinel

Shiny_Rock
Here is the other biggie I got from MC...

this is the vendor pic

redspinel17.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/29/2009 11:25:51 PM
37.gif

I designed the ring as a way to showcase the stones... its rather opulent for outdoor wear. As for this stone...

GIA Code: slpR 4/4
Hue: slightly purplish red
Tone: Medium light
Saturation: moderately strong
That''s great to know. What do you think of this for Mahenge spinels?

GIA Code: oR*3/5
Hue: orangy red
Tone: Light
Saturation: strong

sleepyspinel

Shiny_Rock
Well as I get around to doing my other threads, you will see that nearly all my collection is comprised of med-light stones with at least moderately strong saturation if at all possible that is my visual sweet spot where stones can look good in and out doors.

Well that sounds like a nice color, on the other side of red (which this longer cushion likely is). I am def liking the strong saturation. The color range from Mahenge is pretty broad though frankly I''ve not seen any of the silky stones graded with that color, not to say they don''t exist, but my sample size is especially limited these days. Do you have a picture of said stone?

Date: 5/29/2009 11:29:49 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

That''s great to know. What do you think of this for Mahenge spinels?

GIA Code: oR*3/5
Hue: orangy red
Tone: Light
Saturation: strong

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/29/2009 11:25:51 PM
37.gif
And I like guessing. ''Nuck?

sleepyspinel

Shiny_Rock
And here is my take on the stone which AIGS called orangey-pink (the set stone was called pink).

412compspinel.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s moderately included - looks vivid though

b_ysp474ad.jpg

sleepyspinel

Shiny_Rock
Harriet, I used to be a very active poster years ago then I went into hibernation. It just seemed like a good time to start interacting again. But your guess would not be correct. Perhaps if you look for "glowing" stones... you might see a picture or two that you recognize.

Date: 5/29/2009 11:35:51 PM
And I like guessing. ''Nuck?

sleepyspinel

Shiny_Rock
OH I have had my eye on that for a few yrs. I think its a great stone! If I didn't have money tied up on spessies, I'd have gotten it. I know that you've not been pleased with the spinels that you've seen in the past but I think this pretty will change your mind... and for a really decent price. Actually that color grade was modified... I think the saturation was listed as vivid and the tone med-light, overall I believe MC is pretty accurate on their color estimations.

Date: 5/29/2009 11:38:32 PM
It's moderately included - looks vivid though

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks SS - I just bought it, and a 2 carat oval with the same gemset color as yours. I''m so glad I got your blessing on this one because it''s such a hassle to return things to MC.com. I''m so picky, it''s unbelievable, not to mention I bugged poor David Weinberg with about 8 million questions.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/29/2009 11:44:58 PM
OH I have had my eye on that for a few yrs. I think its a great stone! If I didn''t have money tied up on spessies, I''d have gotten it. I know that you''ve not been pleased with the spinels that you''ve seen in the past but I think this pretty will change your mind... and for a really decent price. Actually that color grade was modified... I think the saturation was listed as vivid and the tone med-light, overall I believe MC is pretty accurate on their color estimations.

Date: 5/29/2009 11:38:32 PM
It''s moderately included - looks vivid though
Speaking of spessies, where are the pics ???!!

Art Nouveau

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Sleepyspinel,

Thanks for sharing the beautiful pictures of your spinel. You are a very good gem photographer. Your closeup photos look better than the vendor''s. I love how your spinel seems to glow and the way it changes from more pink to more red to more orange in different lighting. I like the ruby red spinels from Burma too, but those don''t have the glow. The price of these stones have gone up a lot and fine gemmy ones are getting hard to find.

For those of you interested, it is possible to order the handout from the recent John Sinkankas Spinel Symposium held recently at GIA, Carlsbad. I just received mine today. There are tons of beautiful pictures of spinels in all colors. I haven''t had time to read the text yet, but the pictures alone are worth it. If you wish to order this, the information is in Palagem''s home page.

AN

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
TL this could be a life changing experince.
9.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/29/2009 11:40:03 PM
Harriet, I used to be a very active poster years ago then I went into hibernation. It just seemed like a good time to start interacting again. But your guess would not be correct. Perhaps if you look for 'glowing' stones... you might see a picture or two that you recognize.

Date: 5/29/2009 11:35:51 PM
And I like guessing. 'Nuck?
Frustrated.
14.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/29/2009 11:50:30 PM
Author: colormyworld
9.gif
ROTFLMAO - you love to tease me about my "love" of spinels, don''t you!! hehehehehehe!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/29/2009 11:50:13 PM
Author: Art Nouveau
Hi Sleepyspinel,

Thanks for sharing the beautiful pictures of your spinel. You are a very good gem photographer. Your closeup photos look better than the vendor''s. I love how your spinel seems to glow and the way it changes from more pink to more red to more orange in different lighting. I like the ruby red spinels from Burma too, but those don''t have the glow. The price of these stones have gone up a lot and fine gemmy ones are getting hard to find.

For those of you interested, it is possible to order the handout from the recent John Sinkankas Spinel Symposium held recently at GIA, Carlsbad. I just received mine today. There are tons of beautiful pictures of spinels in all colors. I haven''t had time to read the text yet, but the pictures alone are worth it. If you wish to order this, the information is in Palagem''s home page.

AN
Thanks for the info, AN. It''s just what I need to focus my collecting.

sleepyspinel

Shiny_Rock
Oh TL congrats! I sure can''t wait to see your pics with your brandspanking new digicam, the fanta stone you have is a knockout and pushed me to get some spessies of my own... also my birthstone so it all works out
11.gif

I had returned one thing to them in the past and while its not difficult... international shipments are never fun.

Date: 5/29/2009 11:47:24 PM
Thanks SS - I just bought it, and a 2 carat oval with the same gemset color as yours. I''m so glad I got your blessing on this one because it''s such a hassle to return things to MC.com. I''m so picky, it''s unbelievable, not to mention I bugged poor David Weinberg with about 8 million questions.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/29/2009 11:54:14 PM

9.gif
ROTFLMAO - you love to tease me about my ''love'' of spinels, don''t you!! hehehehehehe!
Count me in! How could you?!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh no!! being teased by Harriet and CMW.
9.gif
2.gif

Well, I''ll let you both know if I have an epiphany when I get the two stones.
emidea.gif

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/29/2009 11:54:14 PM

9.gif
ROTFLMAO - you love to tease me about my ''love'' of spinels, don''t you!! hehehehehehe!

I really think you have a good eye for stones. I envy your collection. I really think of it less as teasing but rather more as if you can see what I see.

sleepyspinel

Shiny_Rock
TL, one thing at a time, I don''t want to overwhelm you with all my pics :) As for the spessies... I have two (which I''ve had in my possession for less than a month) and the third is in the mail. Once I am settled with the last one, I''ll have to do a proper photoshoot, since as you know ORANGE is one of the most devilish colors to accurately represent.

Date: 5/29/2009 11:50:08 PM

Speaking of spessies, where are the pics ???!!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/29/2009 11:55:15 PM
Oh TL congrats! I sure can''t wait to see your pics with your brandspanking new digicam, the fanta stone you have is a knockout and pushed me to get some spessies of my own... also my birthstone so it all works out
11.gif

I had returned one thing to them in the past and while its not difficult... international shipments are never fun.

Date: 5/29/2009 11:47:24 PM
Wow, I''m shocked that my spess made you get some spessies of your own. I''m flattered, especially from someone so astute in gems. (pssssst! - CMW is secretly barfing right now - hehehehehe).

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/29/2009 11:59:35 PM
Oh no!! being teased by Harriet and CMW.
9.gif
2.gif

Well, I''ll let you both know if I have an epiphany when I get the two stones.
emidea.gif
Next stop -- tsavorite!
27.gif
9.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/30/2009 12:01:45 AM

I really think you have a good eye for stones. I envy your collection. I really think of it less as teasing but rather more as if you can see what I see.
23.gif
23.gif
23.gif
23.gif
Shocked beyond belief. Did someone get in your account and type this, or is your body being held hostage by an alien visitor? If not, THANK YOU!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results