shape
carat
color
clarity

Square vs. Round Shank - Any opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

KGenoa

Rough_Rock
I am having a e-ring custom made and I am intrigued by the thought of a square shank. One of the thing that bothers me with solitare type settings is that they always twirl around your finger. The square shank seems to eliminate this problem. Any thoughts?
wavey.gif

caratgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Hi KGenoa,

I going to bump this for you, cause I am also interested in a reply to this question! I have a slightly larger knuckle than finger base, so I'm a twirler too. I tried on a squared off setting, but just in a wedding band style, so couldn't really tell...
10.gif

barkingsheep

Rough_Rock
My e-ring has a square shank and I hardly have any spin at all...

HTH!

Emily

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A squared off shank, or a Euro type with a weighted bottom will spin less. It might make some people more conscious of the ring, but I think, with patience, their sensitivity to the ring will go away in a few days by just wearing the ring. Sizing balls soldered inside the shank can also help to reduce spinning. In case of really enlarge knuckles, one can get various models of shanks which expand and then close. When a ring is a good fit, it spins less regardless of the shank shape. Big knuckles create problems, but there are several good partial solutions.

MrsFrk

Brilliant_Rock
I've found that a euroshank definitely helps with spinning. My finger varies in size depending on the weather, so getting the fit dialed in is difficult. As Oldminer mentioned, it feels weird at first, but after a week or so you won't even notice the diff. I would give it a try. You can always have it altered back to a round shank if you're not pleased with it, more easily, I imagine (as a non-bench person) than trying to make a round shank euro.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Square shank rings are slightly more costly to have resized if need be (this can be eliminated by adding sizing beads instead) - according to this here.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
I have had both squared and round shanks, and prefer the squared because it really made a difference on the spin. Mine was very comfortable. The only reason I would reconsider a squared shank is if I was going to put it with an eternity band. I''m not sure how that would look from the palm side of the hand.

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
i have to disagree..........i am on my third ring with a square shank and they all spin.............my preference for the square is b/c when the metal starts getting worn and "distressed" the square has more definition...kind of like a blunt hair cut keeping its shape longer...........

Van Graff

Rough_Rock
This is a European shank, with this design you ring will not spin in your finger.
The two bumps don''t allow the ring to spin, of course it can spin if you open your fingers or if the ring size is too loose.

solitarios113c.JPG

rms

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all, I definitely love the square shanks on my rings, mostly just because they add to the overall style of the ring. I never noticed a difference between the square and round shanks as far as comfort. My rings have been super comfortable since the day I received them. I was without a doubt also hoping they would help minimize the spin factor, because I like to wear my rings loose. But I think they are too loose. They are definitely spinning. Would these square shanks spin less if more properly sized? I am not convinced, but opinions from other folks are here too, and it would be nice to get even more feedback from people. Still waiting for summer to come to see how mine feel...if needed I think I will put sizing balls in, rather than resize.

If anything, the square shanks make for good conversation when people notice them
2.gif
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results