shape
carat
color
clarity

Square Radiants

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Minga

Rough_Rock
I''ve been shopping for a square radiant but I''m not always sure what the lenght to width ratio is and I was wondering if someone could help me calulate it. I was told that the length to width for a square radiant should be somewhere between 1.00 to 1.05, and that''s what I''ve been looking for. Sometimes when you''re shopping online they don''t give it to you that way, but instead will provide you with the measurements.

For example:

6.42x5.77x4.01

Would this be more of a square or rectangular radiant? How do you do the calculation?

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
The length (larger of the first two numbers) divided by the width (smaller of the first two numbers) = ratio. Therefore, this diamond has a ratio of 1.11.

I think radiants with this ratio still look pretty square. I have one with a 1.10 ratio and it looks pretty square to my eye.

dani13

Ideal_Rock

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here''s the photo Whiteflash sent me of my ring so you can see my radiant. My own pictures aren''t very clear.

fgdfhghgfhd.jpg

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock
Minga:

Dani has provided a really great link for you to evaluate the "squareness" of your stone. I have three square radiants in my RHR and I just love the light performance of the square vs. rectangular radiant. The original radiant cut was meant to be a rectangle shape, but I soooo much more liked the square. But that''s just my taste, some prefer the rectangle radiant shape.

Good luck in your radiant search. Don''t be discouraged and look at as many radiants as you can to determine what is "the look" you want--crushed ice/pinfire or more faceted/brilliant light return.

Fancy shapes are more trouble to select as the numbers don''t tell the whole story. Radiants with the same numbers, can appear totally different to the eye. Where you might love the look of one, you might be totally indifferent to the other. But once you find "the one" for you. You will have a very unique diamond with a personality of its own. Let your eyes be the final judge and use the numbers as a starting point.

Have fun and happy hunting!!!

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock
Minga:
My stones have the crushed ice/pinfine effect. Here's a picture so you can see the facets.

Suzyqzfacets.jpg

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock
And here is a picture of the "crushed ice" way they appear.

SuzyQZcrushedlook.jpg

Minga

Rough_Rock
Thank you very much for the help. I wasn''t considering purchasing a diamond from an online dealer but it seems the more I deal with these diamond brokers maybe I should give it a shot. I was working with one dealer who I gave very specific qualifications on what I wanted; 1.2-1.3 CT, VS2 or better, more square than rectangular, GIA Certified, D-F in color, and no greater than 69 on the table or depth. This person brought me back everything but that, and it seems like only these online stores have what I''m really looking for.

I found this one on Jamesallen.com, is anyone familiar with this site?

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?cid=131&item=1044834

What do you think about this stone? I was thinking about ordering this one

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/15/2007 8:23:31 PM
Author: Minga
Thank you very much for the help. I wasn''t considering purchasing a diamond from an online dealer but it seems the more I deal with these diamond brokers maybe I should give it a shot. I was working with one dealer who I gave very specific qualifications on what I wanted; 1.2-1.3 CT, VS2 or better, more square than rectangular, GIA Certified, D-F in color, and no greater than 69 on the table or depth. This person brought me back everything but that, and it seems like only these online stores have what I''m really looking for.

I found this one on Jamesallen.com, is anyone familiar with this site?

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?cid=131&item=1044834

What do you think about this stone? I was thinking about ordering this one
HI Minga:

James Allen is a reputable vendor and many folks (including myself) on PS have purchased from them and were satisfied.
emthup.gif
You can use the search engine on PS and find out what people, themselves, have posted.

In regards to the stone you posted, why don''t you call JA about it? No copy of the cert is available, so it likely isn''t "in house"; but it can be easily obtained/requested, as I''ve done it before.

Besides the shape selector Dani posted a link to, have you seen the fancy shape cut grade charts on the same site? I will provide a link here for your perusal
http://www.gemappraisers.com/GradeForm.asp

Good luck in your search. BTW, I own a rectangular radiant that I bought because I fell in love with it''s appearance. As SQ aptly suggests, each stone has a life of its own.

cheers--Sharon

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
am1.JPG

my rectangular radiant

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
i can''t help with the radiant info just wanted to compliment the ladies on their stones. stunning!

Minga

Rough_Rock
SuzyQZ, those are beautiful stones! Are those Original Radiant Cut diamonds? And may I ask what are the specifics on the center stone?

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/15/2007 9:48:57 PM
Author: Minga
SuzyQZ, those are beautiful stones! Are those Original Radiant Cut diamonds? And may I ask what are the specifics on the center stone?
No, my diamonds are not Original Radiant Cuts, they''re generic. It took us a long time to find them but they were definitely worth the effort. The numbers chart is a good starting place, but that alone doesn''t tell the whole story. I know my numbers are not the ideal. But I''ve got to tell you that I LOVE the look of my diamonds. The more radiants you see the more you will determine what you like (and don''t like) about each one. Let your eyes be the deciding factor. At the end of the day, THAT is what is the most important. After all, you will be seeing your diamond every minute of every day and the certificate? Well that just gets put in a drawer somewhere.

Specs on my center stone, per your request:

1.51 CT
Cut corner square modified brilliant
6.80 X 6.62 X 4.30 mm
Depth: 65.0%
Table: 67%
Crown: 6.0%
Pavillion: 53.3%
Girdle: Thin to Sl Thick polished
Culet: None
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Good
Clarity: VS2
Color: H
Fluoresence: None
EGL-USA Certified - March 2006.

Them''s the facts!

Happy hunting, I know you''ll find a real beauty!!!

Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results