shape
carat
color
clarity

Spread Index

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

wonka27

Brilliant_Rock
My apologies! Right number, wrong terminology. Should have been more careful.

Superidealist

Brilliant_Rock
Don't worry. It's not like it's official terminology. It's just something I made up. I just didn't want people to get confused.

wonka27

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks. I just did the formula that would give the "ideal" diameter for their stone. I figure that is what they wanted to know.

It is a fun formula to play with!

researcher

Ideal_Rock
I was too tired last night and made the same mistake about thinking what you were calling the spread index was for the diameter. Now I get why the numbers didn't come out the same! Very cool. Thanks for sharing!

lsmathis1

Shiny_Rock
Ahha! Now this makes a lot more sense. Thanks for helping...and thank you for clearing that up Superidealist and running my numbers as well. Looks like my little babies a bit fat
1.gif
No problem though - it's perfect to me!

Thanks again,
Lisa

Superidealist

Brilliant_Rock
Your diamond is no slouch, Lisa. Its spread index is near that of the average Hearts on Fire diamond. (link)

lsmathis1

Shiny_Rock
Oh wow, thanks - that is a very interesting and educational chart you have put together. I now understand even more about this little sparklers!

When we were looking at the diamond before purchasing I was just blown away by it's visual performance...but still tend to get fixated on the "numbers". Probably so because I'm still awaiting it's arrival and can't see it in person - just in memory(BF has it to formally present to me soon). Anyway, thanks again for helping me understand what all this means - how it works and how mine stacks up. I can't wait to show it when it arrives on my anxiously awaiting hand.

appl.gif

Lisa

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 8/18/2004 10:34:48 PM stretch4 wrote:

Lynn,

6.518...very nice!!!

Michelle----------------

Michelle,

THANKS! You sure made it seem easy. I'm still scratching my head!
rolleyes.gif
2.gif
1.gif

Lynn

lenhejo

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I am having difficulty with the calculation:

My diamonds measurements are 9.40-9.44-5.76
Carat - 3.095

Could you please include the numbers on how you figured it out.

Thanks.

Superidealist

Brilliant_Rock
Spread Index: 6.46
"Ideal" Diameter for 3.095ct: 9.47mm
"Ideal" Weight for 9.42mm: 3.04ct

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
You guys are AMAZING!!!!
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif

Lynn

Rowan

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Superidealist!!! It's nice to know my stone is ideal and fat free!
11.gif

Todd07

Shiny_Rock
Wow, I'm good at my math /idealbb/images/smilies/read.gif but had trouble with this until I found an example in another post. Hope the below helps other readers check the fitness of their diamond.

My stone: 1.6 c, 7.6 ave diameter

Spread Index = (average diameter) / ((carat weight)^(1/3))

= 7.60 / ((1.6)^(1/3))

= 7.6 / (1.169607)

= 6.498

Tip - use the excel spreadsheet "Power" function if you don't have a good calculator "=+(7.6)/POWER(1.6,(1/3))"

Can't wait to see the diamond at the appriasers next week

(edited to delete comparison to ideal)

Superidealist

Brilliant_Rock
Just to reiterate, I recommend not dividing by 6.50 as Magna had suggested. This implies that 6.50 is the standard for perfection. If you notice, I've been very careful to include the word ideal in quotation marks throughout this thread. That's because I don't believe that there is such a thing as an ideal diameter or carat weight. Dividing by 6.50 locks us in to the mindset that there is such a thing as the perfect diameter for a diamond of a given carat weight. I just don't believe that is true.

msbennie

Shiny_Rock
How do you "raise to the power of 1/3"? I tried using the scientific calculator but that doesn't work either. I would appreciate if someone would compute my spread index.

Average Diameter: 6.905
Carat: 1.194

Thanks!

wonka27

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 8/21/2004 10:19:35 AM msbennie wrote:

How do you 'raise to the power of 1/3'? I tried using the scientific calculator but that doesn't work either. I would appreciate if someone would compute my spread index.

Average Diameter: 6.905
Carat: 1.194

Thanks!----------------

MsBennie -

I think I have all the terminology right and have calculated your numbers. For your diamond:

Spread Index: 1.001341504
Ideal Diameter for 1.194 cts.: 6.895749325 mm

As you can see...you have an ever so slightly larger diamond compared to the "ideal" measurements at your carat weight
1.gif

msbennie

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Wonka!

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks so much motcs! That excel calculator's terrific
appl.gif

My RHR stone (the one i recently bought) comes out at 0.00% fat - the avg diameter is slightly greater than the "ideal"
1.gif

Superidealist

Brilliant_Rock
Nice work, motcs.
wacko.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results