shape
carat
color
clarity

Split-prong setting - Where can I find it?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sparkly

Rough_Rock
We are looking for a platinum engagement ring setting (first time). We saw a unique design that caught our eyes at a local jewelry shop. It's called a split-prong setting, where the four prongs holding the center stone are split in the middle to form four pairs of prongs that are thinner, more delicate looking. It's a relatively low-profile, simple and antique looking setting, with delicate paved diamonds on the shank and "crown". (I hope I'm using the right terminology here.)

The jeweler said the design's been around since 1900, but we couldn't find anything similar anywhere else. Has anyone else seen similar settings? Where else can I find them? Please advise.

Thanks in advance! :confused:

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Try visiting www.tacori.com as Tacori has similar settings to antique 'estate' looking rings. They have a few prong settings similar to what you mention with the 'split-prong', where the prong is part of the beauty of the setting w/diamond, as opposed to today's traditional solitaires where the prongs are built to be as unobtrusive as possible to showcase the beauty of the center stone. They also sell in retail stores, so if you see something you like online, check to see who carries their designs to go into a B&M to view.

Good luck!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh and also try looking around your local cities to see if there is an antique or estate jeweler as sometimes they create replicas of older settings, or if you see an older style they can have it re-created for you. In Carmel, CA we found a great estate jewelry store that has some gorgeous older style settings from 1920-1930's with the pave diamonds on the crown and shoulders of the band in delicate patterns, they are beautiful.

For similar LOOKING styles already set with stones (though not with split prong), check out www.faycullen.com, she does sell some settings on their own but you'd have to see which she'd be willing to do as I think most of theirs are one-of-a-kind.

sparkly

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the advise. I found one setting on Fay Cullen's website that looked similar to the one we saw with the "split prongs". Thanks again.
----------------
On 12/1/2002 6:13:53 PM

Oh and also try looking around your local cities to see if there is an antique or estate jeweler as sometimes they create replicas of older settings, or if you see an older style they can have it re-created for you. In Carmel, CA we found a great estate jewelry store that has some gorgeous older style settings from 1920-1930's with the pave diamonds on the crown and shoulders of the band in delicate patterns, they are beautiful.

For similar LOOKING styles already set with stones (though not with split prong), check out www.faycullen.com, she does sell some settings on their own but you'd have to see which she'd be willing to do as I think most of theirs are one-of-a-kind.
----------------

BEDAZZLED

Shiny_Rock
I believe it is called a FISH TAIL setting. My grandmother has one.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results