Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

spinel, would love to set it but...

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
... unfortunately I have a really hard time envisioning different metal colors with it.

I would really like to set it in a bezel bridge type design, like this http://www.etsy.com/listing/75418285/reserved-for-chasiu?ref=af_you_favitem

the spinel in question is 6.3mm round, and I'd say it usually has a pink/peachy-pink color to it. I asked for a quote for an all silver design, as well as one for silver band and rose gold bezel like the one pictured. I just can't seem to picture it in my mind and that makes me a bit nervous. I'd be a little sad if I made my very pretty spinel look a little less pretty than it could have been

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

July 033.JPG

July 034.JPG

July 035.JPG

July 040.JPG

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm thinking the all-silver is a very safe bet and the pink would contrast nicely and stand out well.

The rose-gold bezel with silver shank is a very nice combo with a little more pizazz; I'm just wondering if the rose gold color will best show off the pink/peachy-pink of your spinel -- sometimes rose gold can be more pink or more coppery and if it were too coppery then I might be inclined to say go with the all-sterling version.

On the other hand, for some reason, I keep thinking, what if the rose-gold bezel has a thin milgrain edging just on the inside? Somehow, I think that will help the spinel "pop" against the bezel rather than meld in to the rose-gold, if you know what I mean.

By the way, your spinel looks like such a pretty pink with a nice cut too -- it should look great in that setting you chose!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I tried to Photoshop the ring from Etsy, but I think the color of the stone is a little bit more purple than your spinel. Doing this helped me understand what marymm meant about pink gold sometimes being too coppery. I think your stone may make the pink gold look more yellow than if it were set with a white colored stone for instance.

il_fullxfull.249096867peach.jpg

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
thanks for the input!
I had been wondering the same thing about the rose gold. Everyone seems to have slightly different hues depending on the proportions of metals they use to make it.
I also had been wondering about asking for milgrain, but I'm already considering a satin finish band/shank, with high polish rose gold bezel. crazy? too much? or a good idea? lol, I just have such a hard time envisioning it!

Freke! would you believe I have earrings from the same guy? my FI got them for my birthday this year and ever since I've been in love. I've been searching for a tsav to put in a ring similar to the blue sapphire hydrangea ring he has in his sold items. drool.
I like your spinel/rose gold combo. That gives me a bit more confidence to go ahead with mine.

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
my pitiful attempt... not photoshop, but Powerpoint! lol :rodent:

gives me a better idea I guess. I'm likin' it!

spinelringmockup.jpg

LD

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I very rarely say rose gold for anything but in this case I think it would be beautiful. *TL faints with surprise*

When I saw your photos, your spinel really looked like a Malaya Garnet - so I think it will have peach and rose tones to it? If so, I think it'll work with whatever rose gold you have i.e. coppery or more muted pink and the metal will really compliment the warm tones of the stone. I wouldn't go with a silver/white gold bezel because I think it'd make the stone look cold and hard.

Silver for the shank will work very well though.

Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Diamond Station Tennis Bracelet
    Diamond Station Tennis Bracelet
    What is PriceScope?
    What is PriceScope?
    What is Diamond Color?
    What is Diamond Color?

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.