shape
carat
color
clarity

Spinel that looks the same under CFL?

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
Does it exist? I had a stone that I sold on LT a few weeks ago, it's a big mahenge spinel. Pink.
I met this purchaser who wants the spinel to look the same all the time, doesn't shift at all, stays the same under strong sunlight and under CFL. Her jeweler told her that the best mahenge spinels are like that.

I have seen hundreds of mahenge spinels, good or bad, not one single stone stays the same under all lighting condition. If it's a good spinel than it has that strong fluorescence under sunlight, which means it will look differently under other lighting(without strong UV). That's just my understanding.

Another puzzle I have is about tilt window. The stone I sold to her has absolutely no window from front view. But since she choose a tension setting that is pretty open so she wanted one that has no tilt window at all. Does it exist also?

It's for her e-ring so I want her to find a stone meets her goal as well, Maybe those really sleepy spinels are her best candidate? I know really sleepy spinels tend to hold its color better than brilliant ones. And the opaque body helps with the tilt window too?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OTL|1473445292|4074638 said:
Does it exist? I had a stone that I sold on LT a few weeks ago, it's a big mahenge spinel. Pink.
I met this purchaser who wants the spinel to look the same all the time, doesn't shift at all, stays the same under strong sunlight and under CFL. Her jeweler told her that the best mahenge spinels are like that.

I have seen hundreds of mahenge spinels, good or bad, not one single stone stays the same under all lighting condition. If it's a good spinel than it has that strong fluorescence under sunlight, which means it will look differently under other lighting(without strong UV). That's just my understanding.

Haven't come across any. All I've seen have a shift; it's a matter of the degree of shift and whether it is to a colour you like or dislike.

Another puzzle I have is about tilt window. The stone I sold to her has absolutely no window from front view. But since she choose a tension setting that is pretty open so she wanted one that has no tilt window at all. Does it exist also?

Nope, you will get some tilt windowing in a spinel, even if precision cut, if you angle it enough.

It's for her e-ring so I want her to find a stone meets her goal as well, Maybe those really sleepy spinels are her best candidate? I know really sleepy spinels tend to hold its color better than brilliant ones. And the opaque body helps with the tilt window too?
The downside is that you'll lose the sparkle that spinels are famous for. For some, the sleepy look looks oily all the time, as though it needs a thorough cleaning.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most spinels, blues, reds, dark pinks all shift in colour due to different lighting situations, that is normal, I think I've seen baby pink ones that don't shift much that is about all. Maybe what the halfwitted jeweller was trying to say is the best spinels stay vivid and don't turn nasty colours in other lighting situations. I suspect the jeweller was trying to tell the person buy something highly saturated but didn't have the correct terminology or doesn't know enough about stones to say that properly, or something was lost in translation to the buyer.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results