shape
carat
color
clarity

Spinel project?

IcePhoenix

Shiny_Rock
Hello everyone,
I thought about making a necklace with 3 salmon pink spinels in a gradient (darker to lighter) per side (total 6 spinels) and a dangling chain at the front made of 5, 6 or 7 spinels.
Do you think these are good for something like that or there are other sellers I should ask? Seller is Mr. Spinel on IG. Around 300 $, untreated
I would have preferred something more pastel-y
Also he asked 50$ for FedEx shipping.
Does anyone here have bought from him or have tips?
Thanks
IMG_20191009_034900_111.jpg

IcePhoenix

Shiny_Rock
Anyone? Please

voce

Ideal_Rock
I have zero experience with Mr Spinel, nothing to contribute there.

Have you contacted other vendors via IG? I would try The Gem Collector, and I've had good experience with Haydenfred Gems, although I don't know if Haydenfred is active anymore.

On Etsy, you could also reach out to Yvonne Raley. I know she has spinels in a range of colors.

In my humble opinion, the spinels you posted pictures of are 1) not good pastel colors, some too bright and some too brown or gray, and 2) do not show a lovely gradient. I'd hold out for the right gems for the type of project that you are describing.

One person you could reach out to (and they would probably be able to source you the spinels) is Ivy New York, Vlad Yavorsky? But--his prices can be sky-high for high quality gems. I think he may come down to a more reasonable price as long as he's not sourcing top color spinels. There's a range of color and quality on the Ivy New York web inventory.

pwsg07

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It is hard to tell the tone on their photo. The stone comes darker than in the photo in real life. What is the clarity?

IcePhoenix

Shiny_Rock
I have zero experience with Mr Spinel, nothing to contribute there.

Have you contacted other vendors via IG? I would try The Gem Collector, and I've had good experience with Haydenfred Gems, although I don't know if Haydenfred is active anymore.

On Etsy, you could also reach out to Yvonne Raley. I know she has spinels in a range of colors.

In my humble opinion, the spinels you posted pictures of are 1) not good pastel colors, some too bright and some too brown or gray, and 2) do not show a lovely gradient. I'd hold out for the right gems for the type of project that you are describing.

One person you could reach out to (and they would probably be able to source you the spinels) is Ivy New York, Vlad Yavorsky? But--his prices can be sky-high for high quality gems. I think he may come down to a more reasonable price as long as he's not sourcing top color spinels. There's a range of color and quality on the Ivy New York web inventory.

Those people you mentioned do not seem to have melee sized spinels in those colours. Yavorskyy has a very nice range of spinels but the price isn't super affordable. Raley couldn't help me.
I honestly fell in love with the pastel colours I initially saw on Mr spinel page (salmon pink and love in a mist post). Now I'm not sure about it and I don't know where I'm supposed to look

IcePhoenix

Shiny_Rock
It is hard to tell the tone on their photo. The stone comes darker than in the photo in real life. What is the clarity?
Didn't ask about clarity, but the stones aren't as pastel as I wanted them to be...

IcePhoenix

Shiny_Rock
Thanks but I'm after more pastel-y colours rather than neon ones? Do you think she has those?

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
She might, you are not after large sizes which means a lot of vendors have a chance of having something.

suzanne2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I've never dealt with Mr. Spinel but I do like the colors. The second row is my favorite pad type color and I think they would be gorgeous.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There’s a good chance his photos don’t represent the colors accurately. I’ve had no experience with him though. They could be better or worse. I’m convinced if your locale isn’t the same as his- you’ll see them differently anyways.
If the 300 is for the whole bunch you need -and you know the amount it’s going to cost to set for your project and it’s in your budget - go for it.
I think your project sounds pretty.
I mean- this price range you can’t expect perfect clarity, perfect tone, and reports stating no crazy treatments right?

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The photographed colours will be darker and brighter than the actual stones and in general they don't offer refunds, but if you like the stones and are happy with the price and can deal with the fact the stones might be a little paler than that pic you should be fine..

voce

Ideal_Rock
I've never bought from them, but I came across these spinels in a search last night.
1570722984084.png
Their store name is RanSpinel on Etsy.

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I've never bought from them, but I came across these spinels in a search last night.
1570722984084.png
Wow, I was looking at these on Etsy the other day.
I like these.

SparklePolo

Rough_Rock
1570722984084.png

I haven't bought from Ran yet but did interact with her during my red spinel search. She was very nice and provided helpful information on the pricing of the current spinel market, etc. I recommend reaching out to see what she has!

voce

Ideal_Rock
I think this set from Kosnar gems would be excellent for your project.

Desertrose

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Also this set on Kosnar:

IcePhoenix

Shiny_Rock
I have contacted Brett Kosnar and he came up with something that could be it. Opinions from you more experienced people is appreciated. They don't look bad to me and I asked about clarity and treatment
icm_fullxfull.221664260_ttnoxbqo5dco4k084440.jpg icm_fullxfull.221664262_iykp2l4luwowc8gcw0s8.jpg icm_fullxfull.225914423_7jefu81lyq88www8owws.jpg

I also asked him for 2-3 grey spinels, I think they would look cute, especially considering that the lavender gradient can be subtle. 1 or 2 greys may help it pop if put at one of the extremes of the pendant. :think::confused::)

voce

Ideal_Rock
I like this spinel set. I like the red stones (top left) to transition between the salmon and the lavenders.

IcePhoenix

Shiny_Rock
I like this spinel set. I like the red stones (top left) to transition between the salmon and the lavenders.
They are supposed to be the darkest peachy ones, they are more orangy-red or reddish orange, Idk

voce

Ideal_Rock
They are supposed to be the darkest peachy ones, they are more orangy-red or reddish orange, Idk
I'd trust the vendor's description of the color more so than how it appears on camera. Just as an example, the 5mm stone in the middle here is orangey-pink, but often photographs as more red.

IcePhoenix

Shiny_Rock
Yes, it looks pretty red on the photographs. I may ask him to see something more orange and keep 4-5 extra stones (should not be too expensive considered the size). Maybe even a single purple one for the lavender gradient to me more visible.
Lovely assortment of colours and shapes and I may have the mini me version of the first stone (a light blue sapphire, pretty pale, almost looks like a tiny ice shard)

IcePhoenix

Shiny_Rock
icm_fullxfull.226454895_7o56caex9v48ocg4c4co.jpg icm_fullxfull.226454899_ephwffusj808oswsok8k.jpg icm_fullxfull.226454903_lw0r5lk0y40ogw0gko00.jpg

One set is 3 mm (160 usd) and the other 3.5 mm (270 usd). Clarity should be at least VS according to him
Photos in daylight, bad indoor light and his desk lamp. Desk lamp is what I showed you before.
Leaning towards the 3.5 mm set as the colours seem better, maybe the first pair is a bit mismatched so I will tell him that. I might ask him to add a grey spinel in 3.5 mm as the last stone for the dangling pendant if the price stays under 300 usd.
Would that be a fair price or not considering the stones?

voce

Ideal_Rock
I think it's fair given how well everything matches and graduates in color.

pwsg07

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
How many carats does each set weigh?

pwsg07

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

IcePhoenix

Shiny_Rock
They should be pretty clean and untreated. Other vendors that may have more affordable prices?

voce

Ideal_Rock
I still think 100-130 USD per carat is a fair price, considering the fact that it's U.S. precision cut, calibrated, and matched. There are plenty of other vendors that may have lower prices, but then the problem becomes how do you find spinels that work well for your project, graduation of color, matching, etc. I certainly wouldn't hesitate any longer at this point if I were you, because time is money, and you need to consider how much you value your time, if it's worth it to spend hours more searching for a better price.

IcePhoenix

Shiny_Rock
The price could be even higher than that, I was just guessing based on other sets he has. Plus I may need to contact more than one vendor for the various colours which would mean $$$ spent in shipping costs. And apparently pastel colours and gradient aren't super easy to find. I will contact him about the slightly mismatched (?) first pair and maybe an extra grey spinel if I stay under 300 USD

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results