shape
carat
color
clarity

spinel envy

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/17/2009 7:20:18 PM
Author: Chrono
I like the idea of placing contrasting demantoids with the spinel. The intense and dispersive green would make lovely sidestones for that Mahenge.
Thank you so much Chrono!
9.gif

CravingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love the spinel. I love the color of it and it just beautiful. So what if it is smaller, it wil look great in a 3 stone ring.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Very pretty, I love how it is muted in some lighting situations and bright in others!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good things come in small packages!

sparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful. I particularly got a kick out of the orange glow!

Can''t wait to see how you set it.....

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/17/2009 5:09:06 PM
Author: LtlFirecracker
Very pretty, I love how it is muted in some lighting situations and bright in others!

Ditto! What a great spinel.

jleb

Rough_Rock
Trade
I think "sleepy" mahenge spinel makes an incredible gemstone. I''ve been buying up the rough every chance I get, I have one already done that''s a Trilliant. The most amazing thing about it ( which is why it is so hard to photograph) is that the micro "fibers" in it reflect light throughout the stone, so it has NO extinction (ie: dark areas) when you tilt/roll it on your hand. It also glows in the shadow (try it with your hand over top of it shading).

When I was at the Tucson AGTA show a while back I spent about 20 min looking at Pala''s high end sapphires, including a Kashmiri. The Kashmiri sapphire had exactly that same velvety sleep look that you also see in these spinels! A few more chunks and I''m going to cut a suite of those, don''t know if i''ll be able to part with them afterwards though...
1.gif

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you CravingDiamonds, LtlFirecracker, Harriet sparkles, and icekid!

Date: 7/20/2009 9:17:22 PM
Author: jleb
I think ''sleepy'' mahenge spinel makes an incredible gemstone. I''ve been buying up the rough every chance I get, I have one already done that''s a Trilliant. The most amazing thing about it ( which is why it is so hard to photograph) is that the micro ''fibers'' in it reflect light throughout the stone, so it has NO extinction (ie: dark areas) when you tilt/roll it on your hand. It also glows in the shadow (try it with your hand over top of it shading).

When I was at the Tucson AGTA show a while back I spent about 20 min looking at Pala''s high end sapphires, including a Kashmiri. The Kashmiri sapphire had exactly that same velvety sleep look that you also see in these spinels! A few more chunks and I''m going to cut a suite of those, don''t know if i''ll be able to part with them afterwards though...
1.gif
I couldn''t agree more jleb! So far I believe it''s my favorite stone. I wish I could describe how it looks because pictures really don''t do it justice. It''s got this way of bouncing light around inside that is just incredible.
9.gif
It''s almost got this "wet" look to it internally. Almost like a blazing sunset reflecting off of the water...

Sunset-710932.jpg

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Neat photo and description of the sleepy spinel. Enjoy it!

sleepyspinel

Shiny_Rock
Hi John,

Nice to see you posting here! Perhaps you can do us the honor of posting some of the spinels you've cut... I remember that nice piece of rough you got a while back, did you have a chance to cut it yet?

-SS

here is a link to that project I discussed with you last year LINK.

Date: 7/20/2009 9:17:22 PM
I think 'sleepy' mahenge spinel makes an incredible gemstone. I've been buying up the rough every chance I get, I have one already done that's a Trilliant. The most amazing thing about it ( which is why it is so hard to photograph) is that the micro 'fibers' in it reflect light throughout the stone, so it has NO extinction (ie: dark areas) when you tilt/roll it on your hand. It also glows in the shadow (try it with your hand over top of it shading).

When I was at the Tucson AGTA show a while back I spent about 20 min looking at Pala's high end sapphires, including a Kashmiri. The Kashmiri sapphire had exactly that same velvety sleep look that you also see in these spinels! A few more chunks and I'm going to cut a suite of those, don't know if i'll be able to part with them afterwards though...
1.gif

jleb

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hi SS,

You''ll have to jog my memory about the project last year.. sorry, can''t recall.. are you on G.O.? I did get the "flat top" Vietnamese spinel recut, however that spinel had a HUGE amount of internal stress in it, so it had a tendency to crack propagate. By the time it was done, it was under the client''s requirements for weight... That''s the problem sometimes w/ recuts when there is damage/cracks to cut out in the stone.

I couldn''t find a picture of that recut. Here''s a shot of some of the sleepy pink rough I picked up, I have more buried somewhere... those are about 7 - 10 carats each, you can see the pink peeking out at the bottom, it''s not quite this deep a read in person.. camera illusions as we all know.. There''s such a problem locating good rough these days, mostly it''s upside down ( rough worth more than finished stones) so a lot of us are looking at native cut stones as preforms. The absolutely must cut next is my 19.9 carat tsavorite chunk, then some big peridot and hopefully I can get to those spinels.

jleb

Rough_Rock
Trade
Date: 7/21/2009 12:58:05 AM
Hi SS,

You'll have to jog my memory about the project last year.. sorry, can't recall.. are you on G.O.? I did get the 'flat top' Vietnamese spinel recut, however that spinel had a HUGE amount of internal stress in it, so it had a tendency to crack propagate. By the time it was done, it was under the client's requirements for weight... That's the problem sometimes w/ recuts when there is damage/cracks to cut out in the stone.

I couldn't find a picture of that recut. Here's a shot of some of the sleepy pink rough I picked up, I have more buried somewhere... those are about 7 - 10 carats each, you can see the pink peeking out at the bottom, it's not quite this deep a read in person.. camera illusions as we all know.. There's such a problem locating good rough these days, mostly it's upside down ( rough worth more than finished stones) so a lot of us are looking at native cut stones as preforms. The absolutely must cut next is my 19.9 carat tsavorite chunk, then some big peridot and hopefully I can get to those spinels.

Sorry pix was too big.. here it is..

rough3.jpg

sleepyspinel

Shiny_Rock
Almost looks good enough to eat! Can''t wait to see some of your cuts. Thanks for the pic of the rough.

-SS

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/21/2009 1:30:27 AM

Hi SS,

You''ll have to jog my memory about the project last year.. sorry, can''t recall.. are you on G.O.? I did get the ''flat top'' Vietnamese spinel recut, however that spinel had a HUGE amount of internal stress in it, so it had a tendency to crack propagate. By the time it was done, it was under the client''s requirements for weight... That''s the problem sometimes w/ recuts when there is damage/cracks to cut out in the stone.

I couldn''t find a picture of that recut. Here''s a shot of some of the sleepy pink rough I picked up, I have more buried somewhere... those are about 7 - 10 carats each, you can see the pink peeking out at the bottom, it''s not quite this deep a read in person.. camera illusions as we all know.. There''s such a problem locating good rough these days, mostly it''s upside down ( rough worth more than finished stones) so a lot of us are looking at native cut stones as preforms. The absolutely must cut next is my 19.9 carat tsavorite chunk, then some big peridot and hopefully I can get to those spinels.

Those are going to be so gorgeous! Please come back and post the cut stones when you get them done!
30.gif

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/21/2009 1:30:27 AM

Well those look just lovely!!
9.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi SS,

You''ll have to jog my memory about the project last year.. sorry, can''t recall.. are you on G.O.? I did get the ''flat top'' Vietnamese spinel recut, however that spinel had a HUGE amount of internal stress in it, so it had a tendency to crack propagate. By the time it was done, it was under the client''s requirements for weight... That''s the problem sometimes w/ recuts when there is damage/cracks to cut out in the stone.

John,
I still have those pictures. Would you like me to post any?

jleb

Rough_Rock
Trade
Sure, save me the time trying to find them! thanks!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ll be back later. I have to resize the pictures otherwise, they will not attach.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Picture showing the original before picture.

259fissure1.JPG

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A different view of the fissure.

259fissure2.JPG

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another view.

259fissure3.JPG

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tired of the fissure yet?
9.gif

259fissure4.JPG

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Enough "butt" pictures.

259incandescent1.JPG

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Incandescent lighting.

259incandescent2.JPG

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last incandescent picture.

259Incandescent3.JPG

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Getting ready for work.

259magdopalignment.JPG

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dop picture.

259magdopalignment2.JPG

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yet another on the dop picture.

259magdopalignment3.JPG

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Will this work ever get done?
11.gif

259magdopwork1.JPG

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pavilon done, but not the table.

259uncuttable.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results