shape
carat
color
clarity

sphene

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock
I've had a sphene from multicolour on my wishlist for many months now. It's still available so I'm thinking of purchasing next month possibly (if it's still there).

I think some of you may have bought sphenes from multicolour in the past. Would you mind posting their picture vs. your picture? I'm trying to figure out how this particular sphene might look in person. I would post a pic of the one I've been eyeballing, but you guys know about lurkers, and this particular stone isn't expensive so that makes me even more afraid. Actually, if you have a sphene, even not from multicolour, please feel free to post pictures. :naughty:

I know sphenes are very soft so probably best suited as a pendant. And they have that cool double effect...what's that called again? Anything else I should know? What colors are more desirable in sphene?

TIA. :)

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Sphene tends to be more expensive in lighter shades (shows dispersion better) and in the greener hues.

I have set them as earrings and as a pendant, I wouldn't ever set them in a ring but I know people have done without problems.

Good sphene do not come cheap sadly. I saw an amazing matched pair of square stepcuts each over 2cts which would have made spectacular earrings and the price was :-o . I was still tempted but decided not to in the end as I'd want to halo them and the price of gold/diamonds at the moment is :nono: (I like them in yellow gold btw).

The double effect is due to their high double refraction - or birefringence - which causes the back facets to look double when viewed through the table and can give them a rather hazy look.

I have some horrible photos of my stones on PS somewhere - they are a nightmare to photograph. Mine came from Richard Homer who sourced them from me at Tucson (pendant is a 4ct cushion and the earrings are each around 1.2ct and are rbs).

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's mine from Multicolour. It's incredibly difficult to photograph Sphene so you see it's dispersion and full beauty. I'm attaching the Multicolour photo and my own photos. In all honesty, this stone is phenomenal and really does look like the Vendor's photo but with dispersion on top!

Sphene 3.99ct 8.8x8.4x6.5 trim.jpg

Sphene1_1_1 trim for PS b.JPG

Sphene3a.jpg

Sphene in snow2_1_1.JPG

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock
What is a reasonable price per ct on a yellowish or greenish sphene?

Thanks for the responses so far.

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
I have been looking at sphenes for a while as well. What do the experts think about this one? It is over 4 carats....

2362hs.jpg

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock
Well I'm no expert, but if it looks anything close to the picture I'd buy it! Does your source have more? That is stunning.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

May I too ask about costs or ballparks? I saw one here that was 2DIE4 but balked at the price. You know, the "trunk show" gig.

I would like matched pair for earrings but also want to replace a stone in a ring--and would like a sphene. Is it really that dangerous to wear? I always thought if it could get thru the setting process.......(and I no longer brawl in the bar....so.... :devil: )

Pandora--have "we" seen your sphene jewellery? If not, please share!

cheers--Sharon

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Prices - I paid around $500 for a 4ct in 2007, it was honey coloured and was vs2, more recently I've seen some nice ones for sale here, an amazing 6ct in green which was over £400 GBP and the pair I saw at the show were around £450 GBP.

I wouldn't personally set in a ring unless it was for very occasional wear, I trusted my jeweller and was using a very easy to do prong setting. Especially considering that they aren't exactly cheap.

I'll try and find some photos of some of mine when I'm home - they are a bugger to photograph.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pandora|1319288894|3045355 said:
Prices - I paid around $500 for a 4ct in 2007, it was honey coloured and was vs2, more recently I've seen some nice ones for sale here, an amazing 6ct in green which was over £400 GBP and the pair I saw at the show were around £450 GBP.

I wouldn't personally set in a ring unless it was for very occasional wear, I trusted my jeweller and was using a very easy to do prong setting. Especially considering that they aren't exactly cheap.

I'll try and find some photos of some of mine when I'm home - they are a bugger to photograph.

The sphene I saw here were over $300/carat and I just had to say, NO.

Look forward to pictures.

cheers--Sharon

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a beautiful apple green sphene of around 7 carats, and I paid $150 for the whole stone several years ago. Prices have definitely gone up.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love sphenes but suspect it would be difficult to find a really stunning one...

Lee Little

Shiny_Rock
Trade
crasru|1319402167|3046034 said:
I love sphenes but suspect it would be difficult to find a really stunning one...
Hi Crasru,
Like any gemstone, the exceptional is difficult but in Sphene it is not really so uncommon. Judge by the amount of fire, which means noticing a certain color and a certain cut makes the better fire. Lots of Sphene is exceptional, of course you need good clarity for the best fire, best regards, Lee

Jaybbles

Rough_Rock
I have yet to "capture" this stone properly in a photo; so hard to photograph as an amateur!
30.75 cts from my mother's collection.

s1.JPG

s1.JPG

Lee Little

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Zeolite, The cut on your Sphene is fantastic.

Jaybbles, 30 carats is huge for Sphene. Try taking a pic straight down onto it with the table centered and parallel to the camera lens.

Jaybbles

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the tip Lee! I tried today with a few different lighting configurations and somehow it still looked dark. But you are right, that angle or perspective is what's needed to really show off the stone. I am going to try again tomorrow, with hopefully better natural light than I had today!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Am enjoying all the sphene! Feel post to post more pictures!

cheers--Sharon

Lee Little

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Jaybbles|1320183247|3051974 said:
Thank you for the tip Lee! I tried today with a few different lighting configurations and somehow it still looked dark. But you are right, that angle or perspective is what's needed to really show off the stone. I am going to try again tomorrow, with hopefully better natural light than I had today!

Hi Jaybbles,
I like to use the gem holder on my microscope rotated out to the side of the scope. Then the angle can be adjusted and it frees up my hand so as not to add any jiggle to the pic. With the camera then on a small tripod one can adjust the two until the facet pattern is balanced and the shot is straight on.
Maybe you would be better off with a re-cut on that large Sphene to optimize the fire, not sure from only seeing that angle though. Best regards, Lee

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mr. Zeolite, your stone is superb... as usual!

zeolite

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you, Lee, crasru. Yes, it is a delight to view it.

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jaybbles, that's the same sphene you have listed for sale in the Prelove PS Jewels forum? More pictures there would be great.

Jaybbles

Rough_Rock
That's the one Mary! I am trying to get better pictures of it as we speak. I hope to add more soon to that post!
Thanks!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
zeolite|1320285153|3052969 said:

I can imagine!! :love:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
zeolite|1320285153|3052969 said:
HHI:

Anytime you wish to part with it..... :bigsmile:

cheers--Sharon

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results