shape
carat
color
clarity

Spending Guidelines

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Looking

Rough_Rock
I have heard over and over again about the "two month salary" guideline for purchasing a diamond. Is this a good rule to go by, is this what most people use? I hate to sound like I want to "keep up with the Joneses" but most of my friends have bought rings that I know are way in excess of two months salary.On the DeBeers site they have a calculator where you plug in your yearly salary and then they come up with a number. I did that and that way it came out to like 4 months salary.

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
That's marketing hype...spend what is comfortable for you.
smile.gif

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I imagine that about two months salary is probably a researched average range of what people do spend on engagement rings. There is no reason to overdo the spending,but you want to give a gift that will be appreciated and appropriate.If you research the kinds and sizes of diamonds that will make her happy, then calculate with PriceScope what kind of job you need to find to spend only two months salary. Go get the new job and do the deed. Couldn't be simpler, could it?
smile.gif
------------------
David Atlas
Accredited Gem Appraisers

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Garry;If you can earn 12 million a year for me, I'd be pleased to hire you for a 6 million figure
smile.gif
I wouldn't want to be a pig and take more than that...------------------
David Atlas
Accredited Gem Appraisers

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
then i could afford 2 wives?
I will gladly pay you 6M Dave if you can earn me 12m.
One condition, i just keep Drena, could not handle another.PS Definition of wealthy man....
.. One who earns more then his wife can spend. (Sorry feminists)

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
PS the De Beers advice was based on a bit of logical greed.
The survey's found avg spending was about 1X months salary - so they reasoned - tell'm 2 and they will spend more.
Personally i find the concept offensive.
Spend as much as you want, or buy the diamond your lady wants, or compromise in between, its your lives
smile.gif

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Garry!
(and I'm not a feminist!)

sma1213

Rough_Rock
LOL, Cut Nut!Two months salary is crap - get the best you can with what you can afford to spend. What good is it to have a huge, expensive rock if you are stressed beyond belief trying to pay for the thing?------------------

hawkjr

Rough_Rock
I agree with most posters that the sensible amount to spend is what you are comfortable with. I am however curious as to exactly what the two months guideline was intended to cover. Is it just the engagement ring/stone or the e-ring/stone AND the wedding ring?

LadyJ

Shiny_Rock
I don't think any woman would be happy with her ring if she knew her beloved was losing sleep over how he was going to pay for it. She could not enjoy it. It really does come down to what you can afford and are comfortable spending. Don't forget you can always upgrade later!
2.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Spend as much as you can afford without going into debt, without having to eat Ramen for six months, and leaving enough in savings for your wedding/honeymoon/downpayment for your house.

If you really can't get a decent ring that way, then save up until you've got that money.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am sure the original 2 months was only e-ring (ring and stone)...the w-ring is probably another month or something in DeBeers language!
2.gif
haha.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results