shape
carat
color
clarity

Spending Guidelines

Discussion in 'RockyTalky' started by Looking, Jun 11, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
  1. Looking
    Rough_Rock

by Looking » Jun 11, 2001
    I have heard over and over again about the "two month salary" guideline for purchasing a diamond. Is this a good rule to go by, is this what most people use? I hate to sound like I want to "keep up with the Joneses" but most of my friends have bought rings that I know are way in excess of two months salary.On the DeBeers site they have a calculator where you plug in your yearly salary and then they come up with a number. I did that and that way it came out to like 4 months salary.

2. lawmax
    Brilliant_Rock

by lawmax » Jun 11, 2001
    That's marketing hype...spend what is comfortable for you. [​IMG]

3. oldminer
    Ideal_Rock
    Trade

by oldminer » Jun 11, 2001
    I imagine that about two months salary is probably a researched average range of what people do spend on engagement rings. There is no reason to overdo the spending,but you want to give a gift that will be appreciated and appropriate.If you research the kinds and sizes of diamonds that will make her happy, then calculate with PriceScope what kind of job you need to find to spend only two months salary. Go get the new job and do the deed. Couldn't be simpler, could it? [​IMG]------------------
    David Atlas
    Accredited Gem Appraisers

4. Garry H (Cut Nut)
    Super_Ideal_Rock
    Trade

by Garry H (Cut Nut) » Jun 30, 2001
    I like that Dave.But who will pay me 6 million a year?
    garry

5. oldminer
    Ideal_Rock
    Trade

by oldminer » Jul 1, 2001
    Garry;If you can earn 12 million a year for me, I'd be pleased to hire you for a 6 million figure [​IMG] I wouldn't want to be a pig and take more than that...------------------
    David Atlas
    Accredited Gem Appraisers

6. Garry H (Cut Nut)
    Super_Ideal_Rock
    Trade

by Garry H (Cut Nut) » Jul 1, 2001
    then i could afford 2 wives?
    I will gladly pay you 6M Dave if you can earn me 12m.
    One condition, i just keep Drena, could not handle another.PS Definition of wealthy man....
    .. One who earns more then his wife can spend. (Sorry feminists)

7. Garry H (Cut Nut)
    Super_Ideal_Rock
    Trade

by Garry H (Cut Nut) » Jul 1, 2001
    PS the De Beers advice was based on a bit of logical greed.
    The survey's found avg spending was about 1X months salary - so they reasoned - tell'm 2 and they will spend more.
    Personally i find the concept offensive.
    Spend as much as you want, or buy the diamond your lady wants, or compromise in between, its your lives [​IMG]

8. lawmax
    Brilliant_Rock

by lawmax » Jul 1, 2001
    Garry!
    (and I'm not a feminist!)

9. sma1213
    Rough_Rock

by sma1213 » Jul 1, 2001
    LOL, Cut Nut!Two months salary is crap - get the best you can with what you can afford to spend. What good is it to have a huge, expensive rock if you are stressed beyond belief trying to pay for the thing?------------------

10. hawkjr
    Rough_Rock

by hawkjr » Mar 12, 2004
    I agree with most posters that the sensible amount to spend is what you are comfortable with. I am however curious as to exactly what the two months guideline was intended to cover. Is it just the engagement ring/stone or the e-ring/stone AND the wedding ring?

11. LadyJ
    Shiny_Rock

by LadyJ » Mar 12, 2004
    I don't think any woman would be happy with her ring if she knew her beloved was losing sleep over how he was going to pay for it. She could not enjoy it. It really does come down to what you can afford and are comfortable spending. Don't forget you can always upgrade later![​IMG]

12. Hest88
    Ideal_Rock

by Hest88 » Mar 12, 2004
    Spend as much as you can afford without going into debt, without having to eat Ramen for six months, and leaving enough in savings for your wedding/honeymoon/downpayment for your house.

If you really can't get a decent ring that way, then save up until you've got that money.

13. Mara
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by Mara » Mar 12, 2004
    I am sure the original 2 months was only e-ring (ring and stone)...the w-ring is probably another month or something in DeBeers language! [​IMG] haha.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.