shape
carat
color
clarity

Specs on my new diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Krissie

Brilliant_Rock
I picked up my new engagement ring today! For those of you who followed the saga (I posted a couple of weeks ago), my old diamond was loose in its setting (after 6 weeks of wear) and I just wasn''t happy or confident with it. Cartier let me do an exchange for value so we did a mini-upgrade in terms of size and clarity, and they crafted a new 1895 pave setting for the diamond I selected (which was set in the plain 1895 setting at the store).

The ring looks gorgeous - the pave shank is so delicate and sparkly! I know I''m committing a cardinal sin by not posting photos, but there''s no camera here at work!! I will share asap.

Here are the specs on the diamond - it is HRD (Antwerp) certified, and I got it here in London:

1.26 ct
VVS2 clarity
G colour
7.01x7.04x4.27mm
Proportions: Very Good
Girdle: thin 2.5% faceted
Culet: pointed
Table Width: 59%
CR Height: 14.0%
Pav. Depth: 44.5%
Finish Grade: Very Good

I know we don''t see many HRD diamonds on this board, so I figured I''d post the stats. I understand that "Very Good" is their highest rating; from my research the proportions seem to be in a good range with perhaps the exception of table width, but I did a really uneducated thing and just let the diamonds speak to me - and this is the one I chose! I''m really thrilled!
36.gif

HappyFish

Rough_Rock
Garry, is this an online tool you are using?

Krissie

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/29/2007 4:37:37 PM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)
Sorry to rain on your parade, but this is not that good a cut quality.
we are seeing a fair bit of top brand name diamonds that dont ''cut it''.
No worries, Garry! I loved the look of it when I picked it out of a lineup, so it''s still spectacular to me!
9.gif

Kissmark

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/29/2007 3:39:22 PM
Author:Krissie
I picked up my new engagement ring today! For those of you who followed the saga (I posted a couple of weeks ago), my old diamond was loose in its setting (after 6 weeks of wear) and I just wasn''t happy or confident with it. Cartier let me do an exchange for value so we did a mini-upgrade in terms of size and clarity, and they crafted a new 1895 pave setting for the diamond I selected (which was set in the plain 1895 setting at the store).

The ring looks gorgeous - the pave shank is so delicate and sparkly! I know I''m committing a cardinal sin by not posting photos, but there''s no camera here at work!! I will share asap.

Here are the specs on the diamond - it is HRD (Antwerp) certified, and I got it here in London:

1.26 ct
VVS2 clarity
G colour
7.01x7.04x4.27mm

I know we don''t see many HRD diamonds on this board, so I figured I''d post the stats. I understand that ''Very Good'' is their highest rating; from my research the proportions seem to be in a good range with perhaps the exception of table width, but I did a really uneducated thing and just let the diamonds speak to me - and this is the one I chose! I''m really thrilled!
36.gif
Hi krissie do you mind telling me how much this ring was originally selling for (same stone in the plain 1895 setting)? I saw a stone that is almost the same, 1.27 ct, F/VS1, from Tiffany''s. Just want to see how Cartier prices compare with Tiffany''s. Thanks!

HappyFish

Rough_Rock
Date: 10/29/2007 9:20:17 PM
Author: Kissmark

Date: 10/29/2007 3:39:22 PM
Author:Krissie

1.26 ct
VVS2 clarity
G colour
7.01x7.04x4.27mm

I know we don''t see many HRD diamonds on this board, so I figured I''d post the stats. I understand that ''Very Good'' is their highest rating; from my research the proportions seem to be in a good range with perhaps the exception of table width, but I did a really uneducated thing and just let the diamonds speak to me - and this is the one I chose! I''m really thrilled!
36.gif
Hi krissie do you mind telling me how much this ring was originally selling for (same stone in the plain 1895 setting)? I saw a stone that is almost the same, 1.27 ct, F/VS1, from Tiffany''s. Just want to see how Cartier prices compare with Tiffany''s. Thanks!
What is the price for this Tiffany ring? I am searching too. Here are the two I found:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/please-comment-on-these-two-tiffany-diamonds.71400/

Kissmark

Shiny_Rock
Happyfish the one i mentioned is 18,700. Why is your diamond 2 more expensive than diamond one but it''s smaller?

HappyFish

Rough_Rock
Date: 10/29/2007 10:29:32 PM
Happyfish the one i mentioned is 18,700. Why is your diamond 2 more expensive than diamond one but it''s smaller?
The second one is triple exellent. I am waiting for the sales lady to bring in more rings for me.

Kissmark

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/29/2007 10:34:59 PM
Author: HappyFish

The second one is triple exellent. I am waiting for the sales lady to bring in more rings for me.
but my saleslady told me that they dont charge extra for excellent vs. very good....oh well

HappyFish

Rough_Rock
Date: 10/29/2007 11:03:50 PM

Date: 10/29/2007 10:34:59 PM
Author: HappyFish

but my saleslady told me that they dont charge extra for excellent vs. very good....oh well
I guess we are getting conflicting info from different sales people.

Krissie, please show us your ring!
30.gif

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Krissie, can I ask where in London you got your stone.

My brother did a price check with 6 stores in Hatton Garden this morning and was pretty horrified with both price/quality ratio and the service.

I would be interested to find a good vendo there for other projects.

PS I have bought an HRD very good in the past - which was amazing (but the specs were pretty good too).

Krissie

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Pandora! We got the diamond and setting from the Cartier on Old Bond St. Our informal survey of Hatton Gardens vs. Cartier led us to believe there was a really incredible mark-up in HG for quality and size (of course, the mark-up at Cartier is a given!!) I wasn''t looking for the traditional hearts and arrows that are so favoured on these boards, so that wasn''t a priority when I was looking for my diamond - I wanted chunky, colorful light and I''ve sure got it!

I''m not sure what the diamond cost in its original iteration (in the plan 1895 setting) as we did an exchange and I only know the final figure that incorporated the price of the 1895 pave, which is a more expensive setting by about US$2,500. Also, our final price incorporated VAT of 17.5% which wouldn''t be added in the U.S. But I can tell you that Cartier''s standard 1 carat RB in a platinum 1895 setting is around £10,000 (inclusive of VAT).

I looked at a 1.56 G VS1, 1895 platinum setting, in the 5th Ave. store in Manhattan in May, and was quoted around US$28,000 exclusive of tax. Hope that helps!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Ah, I thought it probably wasn''t HG.

I have stopped going there even to look as I find them somewhat pushy to say the least.

My understanding was that the VG grade with HRD is equivalent to GIA Excellent. They also have a reputation for being stricter on colour than GIA, but not as strict on clarity. Can anyone confirm this?

The main thing is that you loved it.

I got my ex-boss to pick the stone out in Antwerp for me from my old dealer over there in my pre-PS days. I gave him certain parameters and he picked the one that spoke to him from the potential candidates. I put the figures in the HCA recently and it wasn''t as tight as I would want if I was buying sight unseen, but it was beautiful when it arrived. And it was a great price I thought - 1.51ct F VS2 at $10k.

FBIL said he has really noticed how much more it sparkles than those of many of the other girls in the US (where he works) who have even bigger stones. It has emerald pears on the sides, so it''s not going in an ultrasonic even.

Kissmark

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/30/2007 1:09:40 PM
Author: Krissie
Hi Pandora! We got the diamond and setting from the Cartier on Old Bond St. Our informal survey of Hatton Gardens vs. Cartier led us to believe there was a really incredible mark-up in HG for quality and size (of course, the mark-up at Cartier is a given!!) I wasn''t looking for the traditional hearts and arrows that are so favoured on these boards, so that wasn''t a priority when I was looking for my diamond - I wanted chunky, colorful light and I''ve sure got it!

I''m not sure what the diamond cost in its original iteration (in the plan 1895 setting) as we did an exchange and I only know the final figure that incorporated the price of the 1895 pave, which is a more expensive setting by about US$2,500. Also, our final price incorporated VAT of 17.5% which wouldn''t be added in the U.S. But I can tell you that Cartier''s standard 1 carat RB in a platinum 1895 setting is around £10,000 (inclusive of VAT).

I looked at a 1.56 G VS1, 1895 platinum setting, in the 5th Ave. store in Manhattan in May, and was quoted around US$28,000 exclusive of tax. Hope that helps!
Krissie thanks for your reply. I calculated roughly that the cartier 1 carat RB you mentioned would be about USD17,000 before the 17.5% VAT (which by the I can''t believe is so high!). Tiffany''s quoted me a 1.05 ct, F/VS1 before for 14,700 before tax (this one cut symmetry is very good not excellent).

Happyfish I got my info from the Tiffany''s flagship store in Tokyo. Here they dont even bother mention anything about cut, they just talk about color and clarity to the customers (who usually demand high color and quality). When I asked about excellent cut vs. very good, the sales person seemed very surprised and just said that they don''t charge extra for the cut. Anyway all Tiffany stuff here has like a 20% premium. Let us know which one you decide to buy!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results