color
clarity

Specifications for vendors to remain on recommended list

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1417973655|3797250 said:
Marlow|1417971649|3797231 said:
The problem is not a vendor selling obscene overprised gems - the problem is a list on a consumer forum which recommend this vendor and user (PSer) who still think it is a good advice to post a link them if a newbie for example is looking for a sapphire or something else.

This is why I am using the new title, "list of vendors for reference." It's no longer a recommended list, but a starting baseline for people to look. I think if we use "recommended," then it makes me feel, at the very least, that everyone here is happy with that vendor, and that's obviously not the case. There's some vendors on that list I would never ever recommend, and I would even warn people against using them. The new title makes me feel better at the very least, and I hope others would weigh in on that as well.

Agree with this 100%

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
TL, could we put something like the questions below near the list? If we cannot remove vendor's from the list, then I feel strongly that these questions are a way for people to move toward informed decisions. If they choose not to use these questions, then that's their choice, but as a consumer forum "power" is in education and information, right?

Does this vendor (in total) provide CS at prices that are normed to the gems he/she sells?

Does this vendor provide a reasonable description/photo/certificate through which a knowledgeable person could make a sound decision?

Does this vendor have a reasonable return policy that provides the consumer with time and safety in viewing/returning gems?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
digdeep|1417974170|3797262 said:
TL, could we put something like the questions below near the list? If we cannot remove vendor's from the list, then I feel strongly that these questions are a way for people to move toward informed decisions. If they choose not to use these questions, then that's their choice, but as a consumer forum "power" is in education and information, right?

Does this vendor (in total) provide CS at prices that are normed to the gems he/she sells?

Does this vendor provide a reasonable description/photo/certificate through which a knowledgeable person could make a sound decision?

Does this vendor have a reasonable return policy that provides the consumer with time and safety in viewing/returning gems?

TechieTechie,
The star or number rating system might be subjective to others if they don't elaborate. I do like the idea that Digdeep brought up above providing information to base a review on. I think that gives less subjectivity to other members, and helps reviewers to elaborate more. The star system might be too much work for newbies and other members to adhere to, but I could be wrong. It's only my opinion. If we start subforums, this would be more work for the moderators, and I'm not sure that's feasible.

Digdeep,
As to your first comment,
"Does this vendor (in total) provide CS at prices that are normed to the gems he/she sells?

That is really subjective. I know, and other probably feel this way, that I've seen some gems sell for what I would consider a high price, but the consumer thinks they got a great deal, or they at least paid a fair price.

As for accuracy of photography, that's much more clear cut. When the owner gets their gem, they'll know if it looks accurate to the photo or not. This is also true for a good return policy as well. :)

I would also add something about disclosure and if the vendor allows consumers to obtain reputable lab reports. I know I would hate to buy a sapphire that came with a report from a small lab that doesn't have the ability to do certain tests, or some lab I never heard of. Its important, at least to me, to have the vendor back up their product with a secondary report if asked. So, for example, if the lab report doesn't come back with the item as described, can the consumer get a refund, and for the lab report as well?

Thanks for both of your suggestions.

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes, my first 'question' is a bit wide open. The intent was that the price is relevant to the gem type, origin, etc. It was based on the comment made about an amethyst being represented as "rare" and the price exorbitant. That dilemma could be solved by researching prices or amethyst's. Either way, hopefully the buyer would be more informed at purchase, rather than a year or two down the road when the brick wall shows up... :wall: So that is more a reflective question for buyers to make sure they are getting what they are comfortable paying for. Whether that price is more, or less than other vendor's is very subjective. But for most gems there is a range that is the norm...........am I making sense or just muddling the issue?

I agree about the info on certification as part of the transaction process.............good point!

sparkleismyfavcolor

Shiny_Rock
TL said:
This is why I am using the new title, "list of vendors for reference." It's no longer a recommended list, but a starting baseline for people to look. I think if we use "recommended," then it makes me feel, at the very least, that everyone here is happy with that vendor, and that's obviously not the case. There's some vendors on that list I would never ever recommend, and I would even warn people against using them. The new title makes me feel better at the very least, and I hope others would weigh in on that as well.

I completely agree. I think your suggested changes are spot-on! :appl:

I do think it might be worth considering in the future having another pinned thread just for vendor reviews, positive or negative, where buyers are asked to give details on their experience using specifications like those that have been discussed on this thread. It would be understood that it is subjective and each PS'ers opinion. Kinda like the vendor pics pinned thread that we can read through but with reviews instead. This way might also be a way to weed out anyone giving reviews for themselves etc by their post count.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
To the point another poster commented on the subject of CS pricing, I agree no one can't really dictate how much a vendor decides to sell a stone for; however, with the new list, in addition to the new disclaimer, maybe just adding a sentence that reads, "If you find an item of interest from one of these or another vendor, and would like others' opinions on that item (quality, price, etc), please start a thread with a link to the item." I know it kinda feels like being "captain obvious" and all, but at least we aren't building a list based on how sellers price items; rather, we are up front offering input & opinions from those who collect CSs, much to the theme of "PriceScope".

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the disclaimer and new title idea are liked so far. However, one more change that we're getting at seems to be encouraging people to provide reviews, and providing criteria for those reviews. I don't want the disclaimer to be long and convoluted, as I would like it to be to the point. Therefore, if people wish to add another paragraph on reviews, what exactly should it say, how should it be constructed, if we combine it with what has been recommended thus far?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sparkleismyfavcolor|1417981568|3797309 said:
TL said:

I completely agree. I think your suggested changes are spot-on! :appl:

I do think it might be worth considering in the future having another pinned thread just for vendor reviews, positive or negative, where buyers are asked to give details on their experience using specifications like those that have been discussed on this thread. It would be understood that it is subjective and each PS'ers opinion. Kinda like the vendor pics pinned thread that we can read through but with reviews instead. This way might also be a way to weed out anyone giving reviews for themselves etc by their post count.

That would be another sticky, and not everyone is going to post their reviews in there. Many people enjoy opening separate threads to highlight their purchases. It's not up to me though. If people think this is a good idea, I believe its outside the realm of this list, and that would be something new to ask the moderators, as they determine what threads can be a sticky. We can also link to a thread in the list however for reviews, but it might discourage people from further searching the forum. The fact of the matter is that this forum has a plethora of existing reviews, and they're quite valuable IMO. I don't want to discourage a search for them, yet I think it's a good idea to give people an idea of how to properly set up a review and the necessary criteria.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TechieTechie|1417973233|3797246 said:
Okay, I'm a newbie, but I will pass along something we do on the car forums (yes, I'm a car nut). We have a main folder for vendor feedback and sticky subfolder for each model (e.g. vendor) and we ask folks who have sold or purchased a car to jot down Model, year, options, price, purchaser/purchasee, date bought, date sold, comments, etc.

Could we do the same for each vendor? Ask folks who have purchased to give facts and figures regarding their jewelry purchase, like the following (though I will leave it up to old hands to name these correctly):

Purchase Facts (non-subjective)
1. Stone
2. Specs
3. Grading institution
4. Purchase date
5. New/Used
6. Purchase price

Vendor Rating (1-5, 5 being highest)..subjective
1. Value
2, Communication
3. Shipping
4. Blah blah blah
5. Comments

That way we separate the subjective from the objective...and folks will be able to get a sense of good pricing (I know I was able to find out a 'fair to excellent' purchase price for my BMWs this way). And those vendors that consistently get high vendor ratings (subjective) will naturally float to the top of the list.

My concern is that the recommended list as it stands now doesn't have enough 'meat' to be really valuable, particularly for us newbies.

Just my 2cents....

Most of us provide that sort of information in our threads on stones we've purchased. I don't want to have to copy-paste my comments to another thread, though it seems reasonable that we could try to introduce a more standardized format like that when posting our showing-off-our-bling posts. I think creating anything more elaborate than that just flat-out won't be used much. Like, there's already a "vendor pictures versus in hand pictures" thread and I've never once posted in it because it seems like too much work, lol. I guess a pinned purchase reviews thread could be fine, but imo it should be merged with the vendor pictures thread and in addition to the other questions/ratings, post a vendor pic and an in hand pic.

TL|1417977908|3797286 said:
"Does this vendor (in total) provide CS at prices that are normed to the gems he/she sells?

That is really subjective. I know, and other probably feel this way, that I've seen some gems sell for what I would consider a high price, but the consumer thinks they got a great deal, or they at least paid a fair price.

And it especially depends on what you're comparing it to. At many brick-and-mortar retail stores, gems seem to have Wildfish-Gems level pricing. I would never pay that much, buuuuut clearly a large subset of sellers have their gems priced that highly so people are buying them at that price. The vast majority of sellers we recommend have gems priced several times less than that. If we're comparing to "vendors often recommended on pricescope," Gemfix has kind of high prices. But if you compare it to the majority of brick and mortar retail stores, their stones are very reasonably priced. That's my problem with using price as a factor. If you don't say WHAT you paid for the gem (which many people are uncomfortable doing), it isn't necessarily helpful.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Regardless of what is posted, the disclaimer has to be short and to the point or else readers are more likely to gloss over it. PS and CS is very much a self-service forum and it is up to the consumer to ask questions. No one vendor is going to have the perfect gem for everyone as they carry varying qualities and prices for every budget and schedule (time line). What I think would be great is for posters new and old to not fear a pile-on should they wish to share a negative review of a vendor who is on that list.

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock
digdeep|1417835947|3796225 said:
And on Jeff Davies........I've only bought one stone from him and I agree the photo didn't represent what I received.......the stone I received was MUCH better than the photo! :love: So he's still on my personal 'good vendor' list..............

Funny, same experience here. The photo was nice, the stone blew me away in person, LOL. I just hope my SIL likes it as much. He has one now that looks almost identical, I want it SO BAD. LOL

OK, done, carry on with the discussion! hehe

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1418044485|3797609 said:
Regardless of what is posted, the disclaimer has to be short and to the point or else readers are more likely to gloss over it. PS and CS is very much a self-service forum and it is up to the consumer to ask questions. No one vendor is going to have the perfect gem for everyone as they carry varying qualities and prices for every budget and schedule (time line). What I think would be great is for posters new and old to not fear a pile-on should they wish to share a negative review of a vendor who is on that list.

Thanks Chrono, I totally agree 1000%.

And yes, I don't want people to fear coming out and giving an honest review on a vendor. I think it also helps the vendor if its constructive criticism.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the main issue is that what would be most useful to newbies is also what would be most work for regulars. Realistically, most newbies who actually post keep their reviews in their stone search threads (frequently several pages in) and rarely, if ever, comment outside of them, then leave forever once they've decided on a stone or finished their ring. Once in a blue moon, one will make a separate thread to show off their completed ring, and even more rarely will a newbie start a new thread to review a vendor - and those are usually for negative reviews. So the bulk of the reviews are by regulars, and I'm sure most of us don't make a post for every single stone we buy, but will chime in with our experiences where applicable.

Those of us who post regularly do it because it's fun for us, and having to log our review in a certain format in a certain place kind of seems... not fun. Like work. And so I think not many people would do it, especially since it doesn't have many benefits, if any, for the people putting in the effort.

Chrono|1418044485|3797609 said:

This.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results