shape
carat
color
clarity

Specific Gravity of Grade B Jadeite

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
@ChaiK @icy_jade @Burmesedaze @mellowyellowgirl is icy black jadeite really a thing? Here it's called "crow type" jadeite, and I'm really attracted to it for some reason. My go-to neutrals in clothing agree gray and black.

Yes 乌鸡 black chicken. It's usually old mine material and getting popular now. Used to be practically free just a few years ago.

Opaque ones still very affordable and can make for scenic bangles. Beads, not so much.

The expensive ones are the icy and very translucent, also not that common. I've been trying to score a bangle like that (4 digits for sure) but nothing in my size so far.

The top end ones are called black ice/glass jadeite 黑冰,黑钢。 The icier the less black and more grey. Evenness, glassy base, lustre, thickness and colour all come into play for price factor for that. I've seen carvings and eggs and those are well over 10,000rmb for a small piece. Lower end they call wuji. When it reaches that black ice state, black ice.

Lab memos still call them A jade.

Appeals more to the Taiwanese, China collectors and HKers.

Last edited:

voce

Ideal_Rock

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
@Burmesedaze @icy_jade do you think this is a good price for black jadeite? Big bangle for about $200.

1. I think it may be too big for you? Jadeite bangles should not be worn too loose else it gets banged around more easily.

2. Typically I would look for more even coloration, like very black or nice mix of black/white patches (personal preferences and all).

voce

Ideal_Rock
1. I think it may be too big for you? Jadeite bangles should not be worn too loose else it gets banged around more easily.

2. Typically I would look for more even coloration, like very black or nice mix of black/white patches (personal preferences and all).

Unfortunately, I'm not spoiled for choice. I measured today, and the way my hand is shaped, the widest part of my palm is 80mm, and the perimeter with fingers clenched is about 120mm-125mm. I measured a metal bangle I don't wear often, and it was also between 63mm and 64mm, and that one is just the size I can barely fit over my hand.

My wrist can definitely fit with 57mm or smaller. My white nephrite I bought when I was a teenager is about 57mm, and I have a lever ceramic bracelet with the same inner diameter that even has a little bit of room to spare over my wrist. The problem is getting a bangle that doesn't open to fit over my hand.

I will have to watch the banging, I suppose. If bangles don't work for me I'll have to try those beaded bracelets, but for me it's hard to disassociate elastic bracelets with tackiness.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Unfortunately, I'm not spoiled for choice. I measured today, and the way my hand is shaped, the widest part of my palm is 80mm, and the perimeter with fingers clenched is about 120mm-125mm. I measured a metal bangle I don't wear often, and it was also between 63mm and 64mm, and that one is just the size I can barely fit over my hand.

My wrist can definitely fit with 57mm or smaller. My white nephrite I bought when I was a teenager is about 57mm, and I have a lever ceramic bracelet with the same inner diameter that even has a little bit of room to spare over my wrist. The problem is getting a bangle that doesn't open to fit over my hand.

I will have to watch the banging, I suppose. If bangles don't work for me I'll have to try those beaded bracelets, but for me it's hard to disassociate elastic bracelets with tackiness.

I have I think a few 63 64 I bought in my early jade bangle days. Several I may not have worn out other than just buying. I can look into my boxes tonight and see if there's something nice and affordable in those sizes. Those are mostly 2019 prices and I didn't splurge then on bangles so mostly in the low hundreds.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock

Ah ok, then not many choices. If you think you can fit 62-63mm (with soap?) then UJ has some blacks that size but yes large sizes are hard to come by.

My black is in below.
041E85EE-21FE-4A54-A88C-1AB1FDBBB8A1.jpeg 84CBC6F0-AE47-4A52-ABC8-20D34F65849E.jpeg 3813B548-19AE-47DF-AAE4-532447D6A0A5.jpeg B07FCBD4-71D2-4764-95D4-9BD4BF33978B.jpeg

Ok lemme post pics first... slow cos iphone/ipad... so if my responses r Super short, usually is cos one finger typing (esp on phone) is so painful...

While shopping and I bought the black but there was a beautiful purple my size. So so tempted but I recall price was scary high (since I buy to wear not display) so I held back. The other two were not princess style (I only like princess bangles).

Last pic is with my icy bangle.

voce

Ideal_Rock
@icy_jade you have a gorgeous black bangle. I love the lavender one even more. I bought a cheap 62mm from another vendor so once it gets here, I will know whether 62mm will fit. If it doesn't, I will gift it away. I need to see whether I can get used to actually wearing jade bangles again, before I spend money on higher priced, better quality items. Remind me who you are referring to by UJ?

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Hi ladies
I'm researching jadeite bangles again and narrowing down the types I like that are within my budget. It's getting more and more expensive now so hoping to pull the trigger soon if I can find the right one.

I'm looking at lots of photos and videos and was wondering if there are resources where I can learn to tell whether the photos are taken using filters and/or have been photoshopped. While some photos have been obvious photoshop signs, other photos are harder to tell.

I've noticed the hand/fingers looking more red/pink than usual, does it mean these photos were taken with filters?

joycece

Rough_Rock
Hi ladies
I'm researching jadeite bangles again and narrowing down the types I like that are within my budget. It's getting more and more expensive now so hoping to pull the trigger soon if I can find the right one.

I'm looking at lots of photos and videos and was wondering if there are resources where I can learn to tell whether the photos are taken using filters and/or have been photoshopped. While some photos have been obvious photoshop signs, other photos are harder to tell.

I've noticed the hand/fingers looking more red/pink than usual, does it mean these photos were taken with filters?

I would ask for videos under different lightings, photos can't do the justice IMO. but yes fingers color or lighter/white background can be a good indication.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The initial vendor videos are always more vivid than the real deal. I don't know if they use filters but the color is certainly amped up.

These days I always ask for an "ugly" video to show the real colour. It usually looks significantly less bright than the initial video. When I find a bangle that looks almost identical to the initial video despite being filmed under poor lighting, I buy it!!!

Also ask specific questions like: is this bright green? Is there cotton? Is 2/3 of the bangle full of cotton etc

I find that whilst they don't tell me if I don't ask, they will be honest if I ask the right questions.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Thanks @joycece & @mellowyellowgirl .

I'll try and weed out vendors who are more incline to beautify their photos and concentrate on those with more realistic pictures.

Do you think this one turned up the filters? The fingers are very pink here. Trying to spot photoshopped pictures.

XHS_16201147457428dfd4e75-2a79-3fc1-b2ee-d7b3e081c805.jpg

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @joycece & @mellowyellowgirl .

I'll try and weed out vendors who are more incline to beautify their photos and concentrate on those with more realistic pictures.

Do you think this one turned up the filters? The fingers are very pink here. Trying to spot photoshopped pictures.

XHS_16201147457428dfd4e75-2a79-3fc1-b2ee-d7b3e081c805.jpg

This one the bright green will likely be less vivid.

You might also find that it will have more cotton in the less green bit than it appears in the picture.

This was the vendor photo of my bangle

This is my picture of the bangle

My camera picks up on the grains a lot more so it does look less grainy in real life but you can see in their photo, the lighting is such that the grain is not obvious at all.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another one
XHS_162012420245099a72621-bd1d-3dd0-a587-4f8070f10307.jpg

This one the green might not be as fresh and possibly a tad more dull but you shouldn't have any problems with texture. It's a beautiful bangle!!!!

Last edited:

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
@mellowyellowgirl
Your green one the texture is quite different in real life.

The lavender's texture seems to be pretty close in all three pictures, your photo has more blue.

The vendor's photo for the green one, I'm trying to think the fingers looked more smooth and pink, so possibly beautified? Smoothness filter?

Both look good on you though especially paired with the rings.

The 2 bangles are random photos from the web for educational purposes. The first one's pricing does point to a less vivid green and a less translucent bangle. The second one if real is most likely out of my price range. :mrgreen:

joycece

Rough_Rock
@mellowyellowgirl
Your green one the texture is quite different in real life.

The lavender's texture seems to be pretty close in all three pictures, your photo has more blue.

The vendor's photo for the green one, I'm trying to think the fingers looked more smooth and pink, so possibly beautified? Smoothness filter?

Both look good on you though especially paired with the rings.

The 2 bangles are random photos from the web for educational purposes. The first one's pricing does point to a less vivid green and a less translucent bangle. The second one if real is most likely out of my price range. :mrgreen:

For yours the 1st one I think has the saturation adjusted so the green pops up and the background is slightly blue. The 2nd one maybe original.

@mellowyellowgirl gave the perfect example on the green one, it is not the smooth filter but expected to see more "texture" than picture or video if you buy semi translucent bangle. I see Jadeite as a color changing stone lol, they just looks so different in diff lightings. I had a light green+purple one that looks so fresh and smooth indoor but white with texture showing under sunlight. I told myself if I can't see the beauty in it's ugly time then it's not mean to be mine.

Rmb to asked for photos showing both side of the bangles too, it could be jelly/smooth on one side and heavy cotton on the other side.

Here's one of my new purchase I haven't received. Vendors toke picture in the same room.

This is screenshot from video under strong direct artificial lights
Screenshot_20210504-094807_Gallery.jpg

This is picture from same condition
received_927734144661665.jpeg

This is without the strong light
received_891720201386872.jpeg

joycece

Rough_Rock
This one is like winning lotto lol, Vendor picture:
mmexport1620148789818.jpg

After it is set, picture from vendor:
mmexport1620148849507.jpg

I was pleasantly surprised when I received it, it produces halo light reflections!
mmexport1620148905120.jpg

Make a perfect mother's day gift and she loves it.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
@joycece
Thank you for sharing your observations. All are very helpful tips! I like your thinking if you're not pleased with the piece when looking at the least attractive picture of it, do not buy.

Please share photos of the new bangle once it's here. I am interested to see how the real thing compares with the seller's pictures.

The gourd is definitely a pleasant surprise, more translucent and less gray than the original photo, looks like it is emitting a soft glow from within.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@joycece the example of your bangle is fantastic!!! I feel like I learnt something new today. The texture is completely different been pic 1 and pic 3!

I buy what appeals to me too. And colour appeals to me the most so I will forgive a few sins for color.

Plus beer budget and all!!!!

Beer budget lavender

PXL_20210425_050122370.jpg

joycece

Rough_Rock
@joycece the example of your bangle is fantastic!!! I feel like I learnt something new today. The texture is completely different been pic 1 and pic 3!

I buy what appeals to me too. And colour appeals to me the most so I will forgive a few sins for color.

Plus beer budget and all!!!!

Beer budget lavender

PXL_20210425_050122370.jpg

Envy! It wouldn't be beer budget now sadly ...I wished I'm into Jadeite earlier...price is definitely getting higher and higher with the political situation and closing mine sites in Myanmar...

A little too late thou :( for me .... would've been able to afford icy lavender bangle back in 2019! Lavender is still very popular choice but the recent trends seems shifting toward light yellow and icy green/bluish flower (like the one @Lovinggems shared) in China so lavender's price from the sellers I follow is still somewhat stable :evil2:

joycece

Rough_Rock
@joycece
Thank you for sharing your observations. All are very helpful tips! I like your thinking if you're not pleased with the piece when looking at the least attractive picture of it, do not buy.

Please share photos of the new bangle once it's here. I am interested to see how the real thing compares with the seller's pictures.

The gourd is definitely a pleasant surprise, more translucent and less gray than the original photo, looks like it is emitting a soft glow from within.

Yes, soft glow is better words for it haha.

I only recently became obsessed and was so lucky to have a knowledgeable senior fellow who taught me the a lot about the basics. Plus believe or not I watched probably around 6 hours of jade related stuff per day in the past 3 months! :lol: but they are all in Chinese so I had difficulty trying to describe Jade in English lol

I'm learning from some PSer's in this thread as well !

Last edited:

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@joycece if you have any other goodies please post!!!!

I'm always up for a good Jade perve!!!

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
@joycece

Looks like I came to the forum at the right time. =)2

I came across this 'new to me' term quite often - 果冻种水 (translation similar to 'fruit jelly type'?)。Do you know what translucency they are trying to convey? From photos it looks better than glutinous, not quite ice type right?

I also have a hard time differentiating between ice glutinous and 'melting' glutinous (maybe they are the same?).
Wish I can see more real life examples in person.

Also looking forward to your jadeite package reveal!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results