shape
carat
color
clarity

Specific Gravity of Grade B Jadeite

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Omg! That's gorgeous if it hasn't been dyed. Hope the results come back nicely for you. Are you sending it to GIA or AGL?

Thanks! I bought it from a reputable jade vendor that's been around for decades. He is going to get the certificate in Singapore as he's bringing it overseas to have set. I could get it re-certed later if I wanted to but probably not worth it.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks! I bought it from a reputable jade vendor that's been around for decades. He is going to get the certificate in Singapore as he's bringing it overseas to have set. I could get it re-certed later if I wanted to but probably not worth it.

The Singapore lab ought to be Nanyang Geomological Lab. For jadeite they are good enough. They just told a friend last week that among his 4 sent in, 1 was B jade.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Singapore lab ought to be Nanyang Geomological Lab. For jadeite they are good enough. They just told a friend last week that among his 4 sent in, 1 was B jade.
Good to know...thank you!

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock

Agree. Nanyang Lab is reputable.

Might that B grade piece be from YY ? How interesting to note.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha I think we were all shaking in our boots in case it was a yy piece :lol:

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Just came across these earrings set in 14K. No cert of course, but the color is decent and they have a nice glow. Do you think there's any chance at all they might be A grade?

Jade Earrings 1.jpg Jade Earrings 5.jpg

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
The backs look rough. Maybe it is the light. But when I see texture like this, I think maybe it is treated.

I would avoid.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The backs look rough. Maybe it is the light. But when I see texture like this, I think maybe it is treated.

I would avoid.
Thank you ChaiK.

I have numerous photos of the stones from the front that look great, I think I chose to post that photo of the back because, deep down, I knew I needed one of you to talk me out of it. :lol-2:

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Just came across these earrings set in 14K. No cert of course, but the color is decent and they have a nice glow. Do you think there's any chance at all they might be A grade?

Jade Earrings 1.jpg Jade Earrings 5.jpg

Can't tell but for these, no cert no purchase :)

Green looks too even in photo

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Can't tell but for these, no cert no purchase :)

Green looks too even in photo
Thank you Burmesdaze.

It seems to me that the very best Type A pieces do have very even color, so how does a novice like me tell even color by dye from even color by nature?

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
I think this type of look. Can you see fine fine very fine pores and lines when you enlarge this picture?

That to me means it is treated. Alarm bells ring.

dsc01304jpg-1544007411879.jpg

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
@prs, Oh, er, maybe I answered something meant for Burmesedaze. Sorry if I did. :oops2:

I blunder along and make the usual booboos, regardless. Whether it is buying jade or other stuff. So you are not alone. And ouch, the mistakes that I make!

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@prs, Oh, er, maybe I answered something meant for Burmesedaze. Sorry if I did. :oops2:

I blunder along and make the usual booboos, regardless. Whether it is buying jade or other stuff. So you are not alone. And ouch, the mistakes that I make!
You answered my question just fine! We have all admired your eagle eye, and now I know to remember to apply "ChaiK's Eye" and look close up for uneven color in any piece under consideration. :))

I also wonder if more translucent pieces are less likely to be treated, the theory being the treatment would make a stone look more opaque?

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Ok. So like in this picture of your earrings. Can you see the circled areas. If you focus on them, or big up the images, you can see the little holes and pores and little cracks and lines. Jadeite really isn't like this. And then when I saw the backs of the earrings, it confirmed my thoughts - treated to the hilt. It just looks a bit odd to me and so I would run the other direction.

PRS Earrings_LI.jpg

I think the more translucent jadeite, you sometimes can tell more easily because the look is just so fake. However, sometimes, very good jadeite can look too good to be true as well! Very beautiful and green and glowy.

I don't know. Even very very experienced buyers make errors ( :geek2: I don't feel too bad when I think of that).

Last edited:

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm desperate to scratch my green jade itch without paying thru the nose for a USA certified piece!!! Sorry to keep bothering you all.

This stone is set in a very expensive 18K diamond setting, but maybe the color is too even, although bottom right shows more yellow? I don't see any dark pores but might be missing something. It's not as transparent as we would like. Opinions please!

Jade 1 (2).jpg Jade 2 (2).jpg

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
It’s pretty. Maybe you want more translucence? Better colour needed as well.

If you are going for those colours and that texture, a lovely translucent glowing chrysoprase would be better value.

Attachments

• 20190421_173557.jpg
    20190421_173557.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 38
  • 20190504_074901.jpg
    20190504_074901.jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
20190521_101322.jpg 20190521_101449.jpg Is that the true colour @prs ?

It looks a bit like cloudy chrysoprase to me if that's the true colour.

Here is mine which is lower quality than the one ChaiK owns. But as you can see it's still transparent and glowy.

20190521_100857.jpg
20190521_100925.jpg

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Last edited:

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm desperate to scratch my green jade itch without paying thru the nose for a USA certified piece!!! Sorry to keep bothering you all.

This stone is set in a very expensive 18K diamond setting, but maybe the color is too even, although bottom right shows more yellow? I don't see any dark pores but might be missing something. It's not as transparent as we would like. Opinions please!

Mountain jade. Too light. Not enough water. Above all, stone has no luster.

Reactions: prs

YC

Brilliant_Rock

PRS, I agree with ChaiK and Burmesedaze. The jade looks opaque and colour is so-so. You should aim for a better stone, especially if the setting is expensive.

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
:kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2:
20190521_101322.jpg 20190521_101449.jpg Is that the true colour @prs ?

It looks a bit like cloudy chrysoprase to me if that's the true colour.

Here is mine which is lower quality than the one ChaiK owns. But as you can see it's still transparent and glowy.

20190521_100857.jpg
20190521_100925.jpg
:kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2:

Last edited:

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
No no, I actually desperately looking for mellow’s colour at the moment. Light neon green. Can you see? How mad her ring is? It’s called Nong in Chinese. Richard Hughes speaks of it. The glow in jadeite. The saturation of a colour combined with translucency, the Cui.

https://www.lotusgemology.com/index.php/library/articles/270-lotusgemology-com-jade-buying-guide
Thanks for posting this article ChaiK, it's very interesting and educational.

I have saved copies of mellow's photos to my PS Hall of Fame, right next to @Bluegemz lavender jade pendant. From now on every jade piece under consideration will be compared to those two before I go any further!!

@Burmesdaze the ring in your avatar is magnificent, and maybe a little deeper green. Would you mind posting a photo or two, so I can save them too!

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Took a flyer on this 5-11mm, graduated 20" necklace. No cert, just looks right to me. The photos are not that great, but at $200 it's not much of a risk. DW really likes the look of it.

Jadeite Necklace 1A.jpg Jadeite Necklace 2A.jpg Jadeite Necklace 3A.jpg

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Took a flyer on this 5-11mm, graduated 20" necklace. No cert, just looks right to me. The photos are not that great, but at $200 it's not much of a risk. DW really likes the look of it.

Jadeite Necklace 1A.jpg Jadeite Necklace 2A.jpg Jadeite Necklace 3A.jpg

Oh now, after you buy this necklace, you would need a jadeite pendant to go with it.......l kid you not; jadeite is addictive. Once you start, you can’t stop.

Reactions: prs

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh now, after you buy this necklace, you would need a jadeite pendant to go with it.......l kid you not; jadeite is addictive. Once you start, you can’t stop.
Now that we have warmer weather I'm trying to persuade DW to wear her lavender jade necklace so I can get a good neck photo. I keep looking at pendants and rings, but in this American market there is next to nothing that would meet the high standards set here! I did see a rather nice certified ring that the vendor claimed was "Imperial Jade" but she wanted $35,000 for it, and whilst the green was right, it had almost no water and no glow!!!

Chaik, if you would kindly post photos of your ring, I would like to add them to my Jadeite album to help keep me on the straight and narrow as my search continues. =)2

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results