shape
carat
color
clarity

Specific Gravity of Grade B Jadeite

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, this is a jade thread. But I want to buy these spinels for my jade earrings. I am not good at looking at spinels. What you think? It is huge around 13 mm each pair. Height is good too. Vendor wants 1.7Kusd. These are translucent. I don't mind the inclusions. I like inclusions sometimes. They make for better colour in a way, at times.

I want these as earrings but they can also be attached to the jade pair of earrings I bought, when I want to glam up.

Are spinels irradiated? These have been certified as unheated and untreated by AIGS. Still, irradiation is hard to detect....

Opinions anyone? Thanks

Spinel 1.jpg Spinel 2.jpg

Last edited:

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't comment on pricing but I read somewhere on this board that spinels aren't treated.

Someone told me that it was safer to buy spinels from Caratzone since there is not treatment for them so likely to be legit.

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
I can't comment on pricing but I read somewhere on this board that spinels aren't treated.

Someone told me that it was safer to buy spinels from Caratzone since there is not treatment for them so likely to be legit.

Good colour? I am so bad at this spinel thing.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Good size and not too included. But I'm not feeling them for 1.7k. Cabs are usually not gem quality but for colour so your focus is right.

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Good size and not too included. But I'm not feeling them for 1.7k. Cabs are usually not gem quality but for colour so your focus is right.

Oops, bought already. So busy. Just jumping around. And the vendor replied today. I got them from Starruby. His pricing is mad. You need to knock off 50% or more from prices advertised online. These were originally at 3.5k and I still think 1.7K is expensive. But I did it anyway. Need to move on. Feeling that dread and regret now......I hate it when I am not sure.

Anyway, focus. Slap slap cold water - green green green green green and then red red red huge huge red. Earrings.:kiss2::geek2::roll2:

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I get distracted by things like....

Seahorse!

Screenshot_20181214-183741_WeChat.jpg

I should so open a shop irl in my spare time for exclusive viewing of odds and ends of jade and gems. That rhymes :razz:

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Oops, bought already. So busy. Just jumping around. And the vendor replied today. I got them from Starruby. His pricing is mad. You need to knock off 50% or more from prices advertised online. These were originally at 3.5k and I still think 1.7K is expensive. But I did it anyway. Need to move on. Feeling that dread and regret now......I hate it when I am not sure.

Anyway, focus. Slap slap cold water - green green green green green and then red red red huge huge red. Earrings.:kiss2::geek2::roll2:

Imo and just my opinion, don't think cabs should cost over 1k. That should be reserved for faceted gems. Excl jade cabs.

Spinels have gone up by so much, not a good time to get I feel. Unless you find old stock old price.

My jewellers will love you. Go big or go home.

Oh look...dolphins!

Screenshot_20181214-184207_WeChat.jpg

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dude that seahorse is too cute! Did you get it?

@ChaiK they are a lovely colour! You do need them for your earrings! It's not like you went mad and bought them for no reason!

Question: For the lace earrings with the YELLOW GOLD hooks are they very yellow? Like will they clash if you're wearing white gold everywhere else?

I am funny about matching gold.......

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Burmesedaze I saw a crab while flicking through! Are you collecting all the sea creatures at this rate?

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Dude that seahorse is too cute! Did you get it?

@ChaiK they are a lovely colour! You do need them for your earrings! It's not like you went mad and bought them for no reason!

Question: For the lace earrings with the YELLOW GOLD hooks are they very yellow? Like will they clash if you're wearing white gold everywhere else?

I am funny about matching gold.......

No, I so blind. I just wear. All colours. Who cares? I feel good. I have a pair of ruby earrings. Yellow around the ruby and white around the diamonds. No one notices.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, I so blind. I just wear. All colours. Who cares? I feel good. I have a pair of ruby earrings. Yellow around the ruby and white around the diamonds. No one notices.

Ever since I bought a RG bangle I have gone CRAZY matching my gold

Need to chill!

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Ever since I bought a RG bangle I have gone CRAZY matching my gold

Need to chill!

Or ask her to change to white gold? She took out the gems for me on the lace earrings. I am sure she can swap for white gold hoops.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Haha i love marine animals but need to focus.

Live stream is on. Going to focus to find bargains now. Ttyl!

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Or ask her to change to white gold? She took out the gems for me on the lace earrings. I am sure she can swap for white gold hoops.

Arrgggh I am indecisive today! It would go with my YG emerald...

I sleep on it! I have commitment issues today!

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Nice spinels. Haven't heard of any colour treatment working on spinel (perhaps some on clarity - fracture filling & such, rare as they are not terribly useful). The one source for such news if GIA's journal - 'Gems and Gemmology'.

The cabs are high quality. Colour may be better in the photos than in person - what I am seeing on the screen is too good. There seems to be a fashion for cab & otherwise non-faceted spinel (eg. outrageous! WWW), so fine rough is presented this way. The prices in line with the expected faceted yield.

2c

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Nice spinels. Haven't heard of any colour treatment working on spinel (perhaps some on clarity - fracture filling & such, rare as they are not terribly useful). The one source for such news if GIA's journal - 'Gems and Gemmology'.

The cabs are high quality. Colour may be better in the photos than in person - what I am seeing on the screen is too good. There seems to be a fashion for cab & otherwise non-faceted spinel (eg. outrageous! WWW), so fine rough is presented this way. The prices in line with the expected faceted yield.

2c

That's the problem with Starruby. They take brilliant pictures. I have bought tsavorites from them before and the rubies. Those checked out fine. And I always check and check. I made sure he gave me normal light photos. He said these were taken under normal lighting conditions. He confirmed no extinction. These are reddish pink. Total weight is 11.7 carats for the pair. But let's see actual colour when they arrive. If not good, I will return them.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Just for fun. Inexpensive too. Good as a gift to kids or to carry around in the wallet.

IMG-6b83831c8d6aac1f4f45358e6e733f21-V-1.jpg

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Posting a few items I find interesting, rare (to me) or of good value I saw on Wechat today. Not getting any, but lovely to admire.

Good value glassy jadeite, 18k gold. I would have gotten it if it were a ring.

Screenshot_20181214-230139_WeChat.jpg

Red jade lace earrings. Only pair of lace ones I've seen on the few WeChat accounts I've added within these 2 days. Not sure if it's heated.

Screenshot_20181214-230647_WeChat.jpg

Icy golden yellow jadeite. Enough said.
IMG-8fac405b278aa0662185aa7539848f85-V.jpg

From live stream today. Big block of highly icy jadeite carved into a fairy by a supposed master carver. Trader wanted 5 figures in USD equivalent. Love the material and size but the carving doesn't really speak to me.

IMG-d65780ff616ef240cacfca8ea648e182-V.jpg

Froggies on lily pad. Love the colours, carving and scene. Jade doesn't take a good polish though. Still priced at 4 digit USD but not disclosed.

mmexport1544805821765.jpg mmexport1544805817757.jpg mmexport1544805805150.jpg

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
@Burmesedaze

Post a cab ring. Oval or round. Huge one. I don't know how to see which ones are good. I like bright green. Not imperial green. Please. Thanks. It will give me an idea of what to look for and price range.

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
:love::love::love::love::love: Thank you. So now I know to ask for the ice green like that.

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
@suzanne2 I don't know why those hoops are called "devil's work" but I suspect one of our jade experts will be along shortly to give us the lowdown. Speaking of "devil's work" we had absolutely no interest in lavender jade beads until this thread came along, but are now the proud owners of that Gump's necklace.

Lavender Jade Necklace 1.jpg

I blame it all on @Bluegemz ;)) It started with her post of this fabulous pendant:

1 Lavender Jade Pendant 1.jpeg

I have looked at hundreds of lavender jade pieces and nothing has come close Bluegemz pendant. :cry2: It has great color and translucence which, as Seaglow said, is darned near impossible to find in lavender jade! We were tempted by this Tiffany ring at Monday's Heritage auction, but the final price of $13,800 quickly untempted us :eek2:

284mm $13.8K Heritage Lot 55032 Tiffany 22x17x10.jpg

I'm afraid I can be of no help with Ruyi's Royal Love :P2 but I think if you stick close to Bluegemz, Burmesedaze, Seaglow, ChaiK, and Mellow, they will help you find that perfect set of earrings. :dance:

6562680D-B46D-4264-9A9A-98B291D83C03.jpeg

Putting this here for anyone looking for a huge lavender ring. It’s not saturated but it’s huge. Price seems ridiculously high though.
https://www.cynthiafindlay.com/jewellery/rings/jade/vintage-lavender-jade-and-amethyst-ring.html

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Was good and just bought these 2 small bits and bobs today. Pair of icy snowflake jadeite blocks and a light lavender pixiu.

I'm going to pair the pair of blocks with the pair of white flower carvings bought the last round to make a pair of dangle earrings to go into diamond hoops.

Ok this is addictive and I'm stopping haha!

20181216_004655.jpg 20181216_004631.jpg IMG-20181216-WA0000.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results