color
clarity

Speaking of JKT

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Circe|1306260271|2929231 said:
TravelingGal|1306259819|2929223 said:
Loves Vintage|1306256712|2929190 said:
I'm not understanding the chain length issue. If there's a jump at 16 and 18 inches, and it's still too long at 16 inches, then the chain length never would have been correct, right? Is it the length of the key that is at issue then? Was it not made to agreed upon specifications? I do get that F asked for an 18 inch chain, and therefore, there's too much length at the end of the chain perhaps at the 16 inch jump, but what does this have to do with the length of the necklace itself.

As far as pricing, people in this thread (and the other thread) are saying JKT is overpriced. I think that's the law of supply and demand, no? :confused: If people don't want to pay her prices, they don't have to, right? I don't think, as was implied in the other thread, that Etsy sellers should continue to sell their pieces at pre-"discovered-by-PS" prices if the market demands otherwise, simply because they were "discovered-by-PS."

Many apologies if the second paragraph is a T/J. Perahps I should start a new thread because I am genuinely curious as to why anyone would think that sellers are somehow beholden to members of this forum simply because they were "discovered" here. If prices are too high, either don't buy it or go elsewhere.

That seems like it would be true...except that it'd also be a lot of extra chain Freke didn't want.

And I do agree that etsy sellers should sell at whatever they want...it's silly to think that they owe being discovered on PS. Not sure anyone is REALLY saying that. But it also means that business will die down eventually, because PSers are all about a good bargain. :rodent:

On the underlined ... if that's the problem, you can just snip the extra chain off. Nail clippers are tough enough to do it, with sterling.

And on the issue of pricing and selling ... well, that's definitely the case, but if the jeweler can make more money with less stress selling one thousand dollar piece as opposed to ten hundred dollar pieces, it's worth the power-up boost the attention has given them!

Yep, you can even cut through platinium on your own. I used a wire cutter on a platinum chain I have. lol It kept getting kinked and I looped it and found the culprit and chopped the extra bit off! lol

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Loves Vintage|1306260743|2929240 said:
TravelingGal|1306260460|2929234 said:
Circe|1306260271|2929231 said:
TravelingGal|1306259819|2929223 said:
Loves Vintage|1306256712|2929190 said:
I'm not understanding the chain length issue. If there's a jump at 16 and 18 inches, and it's still too long at 16 inches, then the chain length never would have been correct, right? Is it the length of the key that is at issue then? Was it not made to agreed upon specifications? I do get that F asked for an 18 inch chain, and therefore, there's too much length at the end of the chain perhaps at the 16 inch jump, but what does this have to do with the length of the necklace itself.

As far as pricing, people in this thread (and the other thread) are saying JKT is overpriced. I think that's the law of supply and demand, no? :confused: If people don't want to pay her prices, they don't have to, right? I don't think, as was implied in the other thread, that Etsy sellers should continue to sell their pieces at pre-"discovered-by-PS" prices if the market demands otherwise, simply because they were "discovered-by-PS."

Many apologies if the second paragraph is a T/J. Perahps I should start a new thread because I am genuinely curious as to why anyone would think that sellers are somehow beholden to members of this forum simply because they were "discovered" here. If prices are too high, either don't buy it or go elsewhere.

That seems like it would be true...except that it'd also be a lot of extra chain Freke didn't want.

And I do agree that etsy sellers should sell at whatever they want...it's silly to think that they owe being discovered on PS. Not sure anyone is REALLY saying that. But it also means that business will die down eventually, because PSers are all about a good bargain. :rodent:

On the underlined ... if that's the problem, you can just snip the extra chain off. Nail clippers are tough enough to do it, with sterling.

And on the issue of pricing and selling ... well, that's definitely the case, but if the jeweler can make more money with less stress selling one thousand dollar piece as opposed to ten hundred dollar pieces, it's worth the power-up boost the attention has given them!

I think Freke's point is that Julia said she would deliver one thing, but did another.

Yes, I undersood that part, but wasn't understanding the wearability issue. If, when worn at 16 inches of length, it is still tooo loooooooong to be wearable, then that's an entirely different issue in and of itself. Even if JKT did deliver an 18 inch with a 16 inch jump, it still wouldn't be wearable. So, does the chain need to be 15 inches? Or does the key need to be smaller? And, if the key needs to be smaller, then what'd they agree to with respect to the size of the key?

Oh, and I agree here with Loves Vintage, it seems to be the size of the key! The bottom of it is nearly in her chest area and seems like an alternative would to make it into a choker style to compliment the size.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Seem it's a multi-layered issue when it comes to length of the chain...

- I agree that 16 inch jump ring on a 20 or 18 in chain is a moot point...would have been too long on either.

- Freke stated she said she didn't want it danging in cleavage. Now, the question becomes how much is JKT responsible for in knowing where it should go? If the key is 3 inches, even for someone like me who isn't big boobed, it's going to be an issue on a 16 inch chain. Maybe it would be LESS on an issue with someone with a bigger neck? There are a lot of variables here, so who's responsibility is it to figure it out?

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think both Arjuna and Freke should have returned their items to Julia immediately. She needs to know people aren't satisfied and that bad/lazy work won't be accepted. She probably has no idea people are upset (although she knows Arjuna is now). I'm sorry this happened to both of you ladies. :( I definitely won't ever use her for any projects, but then I'm not a sterling silver fan (it tarnishes on me).

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I will admit to knowing next to nothing about the skill and craftmanship required to make jewelry, so I have a question. If JKT's pieces are handmade, could the lumpy bezels be considered part of the character of having something completely handmade? It's probably a very naive question but there it is...

I don't mean to diminish Freke's experience but this is what I wondered as I scrolled through the photos.

I'm not sure how one would smooth out bezels without potentially damaging the gem stones, and that is one reason why I'm not a jeweler. :cheeky:

Freke -- I'm sorry that the pendant didn't turn out the way you expected.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have been reading everyone's responses on my Blackberry, and there are certainly a lot of things to talk about. I don't have a lot of time right now, so I'll be back later with more.

Seems like a more recent sticking point is the chain length. I have VERY long hair. Any extra chain length will get tangled and rip it out. I said 16 and 18 inches, but never intended to wear it with 18 inches. That is easily changed.

I was not expecting the key to be over three inches. I believe the length of the key is either 3.25 inches or 3.5 inches, but I will measure for sure when I get home. Choker length would have been great--I actually adore chokers, but she never suggested it, and I didn't think of it at the time.

More later.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Zoe|1306275289|2929401 said:
I will admit to knowing next to nothing about the skill and craftmanship required to make jewelry, so I have a question. If JKT's pieces are handmade, could the lumpy bezels be considered part of the character of having something completely handmade? It's probably a very naive question but there it is...

I don't mean to diminish Freke's experience but this is what I wondered as I scrolled through the photos.

I'm not sure how one would smooth out bezels without potentially damaging the gem stones, and that is one reason why I'm not a jeweler. :cheeky:

They could be considered as such - some artists deliberately introduce such textures into their work, and it becomes a kind of a selling point. Since the rest of the piece is polished smooth ... it sort of seems like shoddy workmanship. My first amateur pieces looked like that: then I got into the habit and discipline of filing, sanding, and burnishing the bezels as needed. When the stones are set together as closely as that, it becomes more of a challenge, but it is doable.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
FrekeChild|1306275632|2929408 said:
I have been reading everyone's responses on my Blackberry, and there are certainly a lot of things to talk about. I don't have a lot of time right now, so I'll be back later with more.

Seems like a more recent sticking point is the chain length. I have VERY long hair. Any extra chain length will get tangled and rip it out. I said 16 and 18 inches, but never intended to wear it with 18 inches. That is easily changed.

I was not expecting the key to be over three inches. I believe the length of the key is either 3.25 inches or 3.5 inches, but I will measure for sure when I get home. Choker length would have been great--I actually adore chokers, but she never suggested it, and I didn't think of it at the time.

More later.

Offered in the nature of a hopefully helpful suggestion, and not to mitigate/dismiss the problems ... given how big the key is, have you tried wearing it around 30" - 36"? I'm a bosomy lady, too, so I know that wearing a large pendant right up there on the chest can draw a little too much attention. On a longer chain, a big, chunky piece can seem more proportionate, and it can be quite flattering in relation to the figure. Just a thought ....

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Zoe|1306275289|2929401 said:

Zoe, I'm not an expert by any means, but I have several other handmade bezels by less "famous" artisans (I live in NM, I have seen more than my fair share of bezels) and they are much smoother than these by JKT.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Circe and Freke. I'm sure to some artists, the bezels could have that unique look on purpose, but I know that's not what you were going for.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:shock: Wow Freke...

I don't even know what to say! My ring from Julia was fabulous with a really beautiful bezel on it. I've not bee in colored stones much (because I'm trying to stay away from temptation) but I'm sorry this happened. I haven't seen AJ's thread yet either, so I'm totally colored surprise.

Thats really a crazy timeline for a piece, not to mention the workmanship should have been spot on given the time it took. I would have spoken with her about it for sure.

-A

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
I would have sent that key right back to JKT for her to fix....TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE!!!! :nono:

Lori

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Yikes. Those bezels are terrible!

One of the reasons I've never considered Julia Kay Taylor is that her pieces are never anywhere CLOSE in proportion to her sketches. I think her sketches and think they are beautiful, and then I see the finished, bulky product and I'm not all that impressed.

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
OUpeargirl|1306285926|2929576 said:
Yikes. Those bezels are terrible!

One of the reasons I've never considered Julia Kay Taylor is that her pieces are never anywhere CLOSE in proportion to her sketches. I think her sketches and think they are beautiful, and then I see the finished, bulky product and I'm not all that impressed.

This was actually the problem I had with a piece she did for me. The sketches were so delicate, and as much as kept saying "not bulky!", it was. Very.

ETA: Realized I hadn't posted earlier - Freke, really sorry about your key. I kind of feel your pain; my project with her was a graduation gift to my sister. It's very disappointing.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok, so there are a lot of responses and it's a little bit overwhelming. I kind of miss the days when I was in school and spent all day on PS responding to posts...stupid work.

AJ
Thanks hon. I'm really glad to know I'm not alone. I think that was the most daunting part about of not sharing. You gave me tangerine balls instead of mandarin orange balls.

Fortekitty
I don't know, I haven't asked. I know that he's really cautious about working on other people's pieces, and I think he does that at his day job. His etsy site is really more about creation, but who knows, it could be worth asking.

JStar
I agree that getting burntout was probably part of the problem. She said she was specifically burnt out on making keys, but that she was excited to make mine.
As for Daniel M, I agree that his prices seem to have gone up, and I think that has something to do with metal prices, but also popularity. That whole supply and demand thing. I know that PS can really make or break a small artisan, and I think that JKT and Daniel M have really gotten their breaks here. I do want to note that when I'm paying $450 for a silver ring from Daniel M, I'm getting CADs, I'm getting more than one stone set, and there is probably some significant detail going into it (as is true with my current project with him). And I know that if I have a problem somewhere along the process, they (Caren and Dan) will address it as best they can. I don't have that same confidence in JKT, which is one reason I've never bothered doing anything with it.

TGal
I've seen much better bezels here on PS in macro than what I hold in my hand. At the time when I saw the glamour shots I thought it was amazing too. Then I got it the day before we were leaving for the wedding and honestly didn't look it over all that closely until after we were back and things settled quite a bit.

VRBeauty
I agree with you. Especially on the volume of work. I think that while she puts a lot of time and effort into the creative process/correspondence with the client that she's essentially losing money on each transaction. Well, perhaps this was the case before the increase in prices.

suchende
I think that JKT and Daniel M bring very different things to the table, but I've often considered that heirarchy you listed. I feel like a lot of Daniel M's work centers around the stone, and a lot of JKT's work is about the metal detail work. I think that my typical style really meshes better with DM.

Dreamer_D
I should, and I probably will in the future. I'm considering asking Daniel M to send me a couple sterling chains--one because it's on a chain that is only silver plated, and perhaps a shorter one for this. I do have a vendor here in the city who does great work with silver, but I'm really in the serious business of setting stones right now, so unfortunately repairs will have to wait a while...

JewelFreak
Thanks. I really appreciate your words. It's so hard to accept this as it is because it is from a fellow jewelry lover and I know she's heartbroken to see a gift she cares so much about looking the way it does. I hope one day I'll be able to wear it without thinking about the experience.

T2of2
Thanks homie.

Amys Bling
Thanks. I concur with your "smiley".

Princesss
Yeah, I know. I'm assuming that's why all of the glamour shots she took were from a distance.
Here is the listing: http://www.etsy.com/transaction/23758795

Aoife
I'm glad that you didn't receive what I did. I really need to ask a jeweler or two about repairing the bezels, but I've just kept it kind of buried in my jewelry box only to take it out, try it on and put it back away. Which really blows.

Packie
I know. And I really don't like that policy. Paying for her design time? I know a lot of jewelers do custom work and they tack that design fee onto the completed project, but to make someone put down a deposit before she even spends any time working with them? I'm not down with that.

Laila619
I really don't have much of an answer. I think that because it was a gift from a trusted friend that she (friend) would think I was ungrateful/picky/obnoxious or something else maybe? And really, I am not much of a "Hey there is something wrong with ____" I don't really ever complain, even when something is really bothering me. Sometimes it festers enough for me to eventually say SOMETHING, but often it doesn't. She knows now, she has seen the thread and is just as bothered by it as I am, but it really took a lot for me to post this where I knew she would see it...

herekittykitty
I think you hit the nail on the head.

TGal (again)
Yes she is in AZ. We are about 8ish hours apart. I've seen so many bezels from her that come out perfectly. These? Not so much.

Xiriah
Thanks. Yeah that middle one is really the worst, but it seems that all of the bezels on the stones with straight sides...suck. The round/oval ones are much better, although still far from perfect.
I agree 100% on the "what if they fall behind", especially in Julia's case. Because as we've seen several times, she often does not deliver on her deadlines, whether they are set by her or by the client.

MP
I know. From a distance it really looks great. Its when you get close that the bezels sparkle like they are faceted...and they sure as hell aren't supposed to!

Circe
Agreed, it's not a very good business model. I hope that she does reconsider her approach. Perhaps find someone to help collaborate or take on an apprentice to help with fabrication? Sometimes having high standards is a terrible thing....

iota15
It's hard to, especially when someone is so beloved like Julia Kay Taylor. Especially here. This is really where she seemed to get her start, all thanks to MakingTheGrade and her spinel pendant...

Loves Vintage
I'll explain more on the chain later, but it's not the fact that it's an easy fix. It's that I asked for something specific, she agreed and she delivered something else.
Agreed on supply and demand, and I'm certainly not going! I don't think it's even the prices that leave ME so disgruntled, but more the approach to paying for her time, waiting 6-12 months just for her to pay attention to your project. I'm pretty flaky when it comes to what projects I want to do--I have a lot of colored stones to set and a lot of ideas to go with each one--what if I pay her deposit, decide on a project and then in 6-12 months drop that project completely? I'm out the $50 deposit, and tough $#!+ for me!
I'm not down with that.

MC
I think at this point I'll just have to alter it to my exacting standards and cherish it for the love in which it was given.

TGal (again)
Yup. Ditto.

Circe
I've done that before, but not with a piece I cared about as much...

TGal (again)
You nailed it.

Loves Vintage (again)
Again, I'll go into this in my next post, because I think it's an important consideration.

Circe (Again)
Yes. But I have to have the jump rings as the clasp will not go through just one of the links. If this were the case I could easily deal with it myself and have a 14-15 inch necklace in no time. For the record my neck is about 13 inches around.
The bezels are completely unacceptable.

MC (again)
You have softball cojones. I can't nail clip platinum! Indeed, the size of the key is definitely a problem. At this point a choker style necklace is a viable option.

TGal (again)
Yes. Yes, yes, yes. Great question. Whose responsibility is it? Was it mine? I don't know? I'm going to go measure from hollow to cleavage now and report back with the results...from hollow to boobage, it's 4 inches. My neck is 13 inches around or so. Seems like 14-15 would have been ideal for a key of this size, but I didn't know how big it was going to turn out until it was done.

Laila619 (again)
I think you are right. Both of us should have. Then again, we probably both would have if the stones had come from her. Mine had something between 4-6 carats of garnets, peridots, tourmalines in it and I know AJ's had a lot more carat weight and a lot more value in hers.

Circe
Thats a thought, but then I really won't wear it, for multiple reasons...I feel like long necklaces get in my way, as I'm always carrying files around at work and I know that it'll get caught on something. Also, the back of the key is not pretty. It's not terrible, looks kind of like a stained glass window, but it's not something I'd like people to see, if that makes sense?

Arcadian
I'm not surprised. I've seen her do good work. I don't know why this left her bench with this kind of finishing. I think if something happened in which it was absolutely unwearable by anyone I would have said something. (I recently had something happen where one of my pieces from Daniel M broke, I immediately emailed them about it, mailed it out soon after, and it was back in my hands a week later, with no charges to me. They even wanted to reimburse me for my shipping costs, but I wouldn't hear of it because I sent them my current project stone at the same time. It was absolutely not their fault, but a risk of the design, courtesy of yours truly.) I'm just kind of blah about it at this point...about the situation, not the piece itself.

Lori
Hugs.

OUpeargirl
You have a very valid point. I think that someone was concerned about their drawing from JKT and the finished product, but I can't remember who it was. Perhaps I should dig out my drawings of the key and see what they look like...

Novel
Did you post your piece? As with Arcadian, I can't remember specifics on anyone's projects right now! Maybe the person I am thinking of in my post to OUpeargirl was you!

I'm tired. You guys were busy today!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am 5'2.
I have a DD (and growing!) chest.
My hollow to cleavage measurement is 4 inches.
My neck is 13 inches around.

I measured the chain when I got home from work. It's actually 22 inches long. Jump rings at 16, 18, 20 inches. Even freaking better! Ugh.

The problem with the chain is not the chain length itself. As I've said (and others have said) it's an easy fix. Its just that I specifically asked for one thing. She agreed to make it that way. I got something else entirely different.

The key is 3 inches long (I have a picture that I will attach). We did not talk about size of the key, I essentially gave her all control over that and let her do what she wanted.

I arranged the stones.
She liked the arrangement.
She went with the arrangement and the basic outline of the key.
I was expecting the bezels to be closer together than they ended up in the final piece, which would have made the whole key a bit smaller.
Julia mentioned after it was already in fabrication that the key was going to have to be larger than anticipated (one inch across) because of the placement of the stones.
Too late to make changes (as far as I knew), and I felt I should go with what the expert said looked best.

If I am being really honest, it has too much metal for my taste, and as a result is really big and heavy. It's still beautiful, but just not what was in my head. Then again, if I went with just what was in my head, I would not have used JKT for this because her strong suit seems to be her designing ability.

So really this point is really more informative than anything else. Someday it will get fixed and I'll wear it. I'd wear it more now if I had cojones to start nailclipping metal and could put in a ring to connect it to.

In my time here I have conversed with a lot of tradespeople. I have a few that I'm closer to than others, including Barry Bridgestock and Dan Stair, but also Daniel M and Caren. I've had dealings with Mark Morrell, Debi Wexler and others at WF, people at BGD, people at James Allen, Gene Flanigan at Precision Gem, a bunch of etsy vendors, John B at GemRite, the list goes on and on and on. I guess what I'm getting at is that each person has to decide for themselves what is important, what the risks are, design aesthetic, price/budget but most of all what personalities mesh well with yours.

I'm nice. Nice to a fault most of the time. I wouldn't say I'm a people pleaser, but I go out of my way to not step on people's toes or hurt their feelings. But I have too much of an idea of exactly what I want to want to give up control to a jeweler.

Basically I could never ever work with Leon. :cheeky:

At this point I plan to eventually see about fixing the bezels--even just straight edges on the straight edges of the rectangular stones would be nice! And will probably fix the chain issue sooner so I can at least wear it on occasion.

I doubt I will ever suggest anyone go to her for a custom project.

I don't plan to ever go back to Julia for another project.

More pictures...

JKT key 3 inches.jpg

gemkey1.jpg

gemkey3.jpg

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Freke, I agree from your pics (and from the few others I've seen) that her drawings look more delicate than the final product. I do think a lot of her stuff is lovely, but I guess because I'm so used to cads, I would (maybe unrealistically) expect that the final would be more refined than the drawings.

It still IS a pretty key. I would wear that three inches on a LONG chain. I think it would fab, regardless of boobage.

If you aren't worried about the key being damaged, since it is rough around the edges already, then DEFINITELY buy a long chain and wear it when the baby is about 6 months...HOURS of endless entertainment for the tot...it will earn its keep then! ;))

shihtzulover

Brilliant_Rock
I am so sorry to hear that your key didn't turn out the way that you had planned. I definitely agree that the bezels do not look like they should, and I hope that you are able to get them fixed. I also hope you are able to somehow resolve the other issues with the key and chain, so that you are able to love it, and maybe ever wear it on a more regular basis. It is very beautiful, and I really love the design of it - but you have absolutely every right to be upset, because the workmanship is definitely nowhere near up to par.

It certainly seems that JKT is overwhelmed with the amount of work that she has, but to me, that's just not an acceptable excuse.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us.

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Freke. :wavey:

I saw your post about the baby in CS, congrats!

I've always thought your key was really beautiful and I'm sorry it didn't turn out as it should have. That must be really disappointing. I was wondering if you let Julia know your problems with the key?

I've done three projects with Julia and I've been thrilled with her work every time. She's been super busy ever since I've known her. I honestly think that no one is perfect and some mistakes have been made. Julia actually reminds me a lot of my dad, he is super busy with his small business and works pretty much non stop. He often takes on too much and that's when things start to suffer whether it has to do with work or his personal life. Inevitably, things are bound to fall through the cracks. I understand that is sucks when your project was the one to fall through the cracks. I'm not trying to make excuses for anyone. I guess I'm just explaining what I think happened (I did two projects with her around the same time as yours, but I could be wrong). I completely understand that some people don't give a sh-- whats going on, they just want their project done right and on time. I can't say I blame those people either.

I have always known you to be really nice and helpful on PS--I really am sorry about your key. This situation also makes me sad because I know Julia and she is such a sweet person. I guess its also good that you started this thread because I think it can be helpful to the people involved. It will probably also be helpful to people doing custom projects in the future too. Custom projects can be very time-consuming and challenging.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Go buy a shorter sterling chain asap and then you can just wear it and start loving it. The bezels would only be noticable from a distance, so you can fix them when you care to down the road. But for now, wear it! It is a really cool piece, warts and all 8)

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
TravelingGal|1306297577|2929683 said:
Freke, I agree from your pics (and from the few others I've seen) that her drawings look more delicate than the final product. I do think a lot of her stuff is lovely, but I guess because I'm so used to cads, I would (maybe unrealistically) expect that the final would be more refined than the drawings.

It still IS a pretty key. I would wear that three inches on a LONG chain. I think it would fab, regardless of boobage.

If you aren't worried about the key being damaged, since it is rough around the edges already, then DEFINITELY buy a long chain and wear it when the baby is about 6 months...HOURS of endless entertainment for the tot...it will earn its keep then! ;))

I totally agree about the long chain. It will elongate your shape, especially with a tunic length top and pants. I think a low cowl neck would look great with it in winter; here is an example of one I love, just to give you an idea: http://www.softsurroundingsoutlet.com/P/Cassia_Cowl_Top/

I have a cross that is rather large, in garnet. I had someone on e bay make a long pearl and ruby necklace for it; the beads were not high quality, and I love it. I think it was sixty dollars with shipping.

It really is lovely, and you should enjoy wearing the piece.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it would look great with a long chain, as TGal and PT mentioned. I think the shorter chains would make the proportions off. Short chain, long pendant -- hmmm... I think if you're going to go with a JKT key (which are always really large, it seems), it's best to have a long chain. Just my opinion though.

Freke, I do really like your key -- I think the design is gorgeous. Having said that, the length of JKT's keys is something I've never understood. They're really pretty, but I always wondered how heavy and practical they'd be.

redfaerythinker

Brilliant_Rock
FrekeChild|1306295567|2929671 said:
OUpeargirl
You have a very valid point. I think that someone was concerned about their drawing from JKT and the finished product, but I can't remember who it was. Perhaps I should dig out my drawings of the key and see what they look like...

Novel
Did you post your piece? As with Arcadian, I can't remember specifics on anyone's projects right now! Maybe the person I am thinking of in my post to OUpeargirl was you!

You might be thinking of me. I never made a post on PS about the project because I never made it to a finished piece with JKT and she therefore requested that I not show the sketches. I think you asked about it on that other site. But the sketches were FAR more delicate than the ring she started to make for me. I'm exceedingly glad that she decided not to work with me now. Apparently pointing out those differences wasn't allowed.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
redfaerythinker|1306368197|2930316 said:
FrekeChild|1306295567|2929671 said:
OUpeargirl

Novel
You might be thinking of me. I never made a post on PS about the project because I never made it to a finished piece with JKT and she therefore requested that I not show the sketches. I think you asked about it on that other site. But the sketches were FAR more delicate than the ring she started to make for me. I'm exceedingly glad that she decided not to work with me now. Apparently pointing out those differences wasn't allowed.
I think it was someone else still RFT. I remember your issues and everything quite vividly and could hardly forget your situation! I do wish you'd post more about it, but I understand why you haven't.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Also, I really do not think I'd wear a long necklace, so that option is pretty out of the running for me. I don't know who all might remember, but my PS gift v1.0 was a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG silver chain with a pair of shoes hanging off of it-I think it is about the 36 inch mark. I have never worn it and it hangs from a hook in my jewelry box. I really can't imagine it will be worn anytime soon, if ever. I also gave away 4 long necklaces (costume) that I never wore either. I just don't like things getting in my way or getting tangled in my hair. A long necklace risks both.

I have been in contact with a jeweler and they have said they will look at it for me and see if anything can be done with the bezels. I will probably wait a little while on that, but at least someone is willing to look at it.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Wow, what horrible bezels and finish work (and I use the term loosely there.) Since the key is so large, I would almost be inclined to get rid of the stem part of the key and put the emerald cut stone on the end with the bale behind it.

Were you thinking of ForteKitty's N/S 3 stone ring? The drawing had lovely curves but the execution was very straight lined.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kismet|1306369915|2930343 said:
Wow, what horrible bezels and finish work (and I use the term loosely there.) Since the key is so large, I would almost be inclined to get rid of the stem part of the key and put the emerald cut stone on the end with the bale behind it.

Were you thinking of ForteKitty's N/S 3 stone ring? The drawing had lovely curves but the execution was very straight lined.
I think you got it. Where the drawing was not really anything like the finished product? Whatever happened with that anyway?

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
This whole thing is making me sick to my stomach. I gave this key pendant as a gift to Liz and am TOTALLY SHOCKED at what she received! Liz communicated with Julia...all I did was pay the bill. I've never seen the key in person so I had no idea what it actually looked like.

Yes, Liz was TOO NICE to say anything at the time....guess she didn't want to hurt MY feelings. I don't know, but I would have said something about the condition of that pendant to Julia!

This is really upsetting me to the point of almost puking. SERIOUSLY! I feel taken advantage of, on both mine and Liz's part, and am just really sick about the whole thing.

I'm not satisfied with what I paid for and am not sure what to do about it.

Lori

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I dunno, I think the drawing is very much like the finished product in this case. It did turn out quite delicate and beautiful, at least from afar. The 3-inch length was necessary to keep it in proportion to the width (which had to be the way it is because of all the stones). My key is under 2 inches long, but it only has one stone. Regarding the chain and jump rings, Julia mentioned that's what comes standard with her keys, and it worked well enough for me (I like being able to adjust the chain to go with whatever neckline I'm wearing). But she should have done what she agreed to rather than just the standard...or else she shouldn't have agreed to it.

Anyway, as I mentioned before, the shoddy bezel work would be the dealbreaker for me. The rest of the problems could be overlooked (or fixed, as in the solution of clipping off the extra silver or getting a different chain) if the bezels weren't so uneven and lumpy.

One more thing - at least with my key, the bale isn't large enough for the entire chain to fit through, so it can't be removed and put on a different chain. So if you wanted to put it on another, you'd have to cut the chain, destroying it. Probably not a big issue since you're not a fan of the chain length anyway, but I thought I'd mention it since a lot of people are suggesting taking it off the chain and putting it on another.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
You know what bugs me about the sketches? The shape is wrong. The sketches are right what I wanted. The key? Not so much. I'll attach the inspiration pic.

Poster shape.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results