shape
carat
color
clarity

Speaking of diamond prices........

Sagefemme

Shiny_Rock
After reading the thread about Old World Diamonds and their upgrade policy changing, I got to thinking. If I have been looking at a particular diamond (listed on a respected vendor website) how much chance is there that the vendor will lower the price as world markets fall? Or do vendors typically stay with the original pricing (since they bought the stone in a higher priced market)? My guess is existing inventory is not likely to change price, but I would love to know what you experienced diamond buyers have experienced.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe some of stones are worth less too as the site holders (not vendors but mine (site) owners apparently hold onto the better rough until prices rise again. I wonder if there is a choosing to stock better color G nearer to F or lower color G nearer to H, and the same
with all the other colors and clarities, e.g. a better SI1 or a worse SI1 nearer to SI2. Stock a better G instead of an F color. If the prices remain low then
surely the vendors will change what they stock in order to lose less money but still appear to be selling the
same item. Is there any truth in this, maybe the experts can say or not?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I get email from JA about stones that I had looked at in the past that the price had gone down on. I havent really noticed how much
they have gone down because I was not looking at the stones for me.

Boom

Shiny_Rock
I have been keeping track of some diamonds on WF since around June.
These are ACAs, so WF-owned stones.
In the carat range that I've been tracking, they have had 3 price adjustments downwards, each time by a couple of percentage points.
So even with existing inventory, prices do change with market conditions. I expect they would go up too if the market outlook improves.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I know that they go up and down in price a few times depending on the market. However, how do we know with new stones coming in say with reports dated September 2016, say it is a G VS1 is that the same kind of G VS1 they bought in previous years or is the G a lower G and the VS1 nearly a VS2. I know this is splitting hairs but little amounts are big money in diamonds markets.

Does this mean folk can only rely on buying older stock, or is it truly the same type of stock and they are taking a loss on it. Surely a company will try to find a way to stop the money leaking out if they can. I just wonder if this is happening or not?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely diamond prices do go up and down. Trust me, it is easy to see when you watch the sites often. It is always true that some equivalent diamonds will be priced differently due to the original cost to the vendor from the supplier or cutter which goes back to the cost of the rough.

Q

Queenie60

DS - what are your thoughts regarding OEC's and other antique stones? Any ideas on their price fluctuations? I have been considering a stone for a future project and have been lurking on the sites, LAD and JBG. And waiting for their Miami show in February.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results