shape
carat
color
clarity

Speaking of Bling Compliments: Where Was The Most Awkward Location You Received A Compliment?

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by Matthews1127, Jun 22, 2019.

1. Matthews1127
    Ideal_Rock

by Matthews1127 » Jun 22, 2019
    My most awkward location was at a funeral home.
    The same weekend DH proposed, his best friend’s (our best man’s) grandmother passed away.
    The viewing & funeral were the following week.
    When we arrived, we were stopped outside by friends, and the FIRST thing they wanted to see was my ring!! Even his mother (the grieving daughter of the deceased) hugged us, congratulated us, and had to have a look!! I suppose, in her case, the distraction may have been welcomed.
    As much as I loved the attention, this wasn’t supposed to be about our engagement....lol!!
    Quite an awkward situation, indeed.
    What was your most awkward experience?

2. KKJohnson
    Brilliant_Rock

by KKJohnson » Jun 22, 2019
    My husband was trying to introduce me to some of his bosses at a funeral of friend, of course I was crying and I could have killed my husband for putting me on the spot during such an emotional time.

Matthews1127 and OoohShiny like this.
  3. redwood66
    Ideal_Rock

by redwood66 » Jun 22, 2019
    From my hot as heck OB/GYN in the exam room. He said he wanted to buy his wife a new ring. Yes just what I want to discuss sitting here in this paper gown. :rolleyes: He is funny as hell and I never know what is going to come out of his mouth.

Tekate, JrJ, Matthews1127 and 2 others like this.
  4. Big Fat Facets
    Shiny_Rock

by Big Fat Facets » Jun 23, 2019
    I find this so funny. But can see how it would be awkward. I suppose its lovely that people can still partake in enjoyment of looking at beautiful sparkly things in during times of loss and greif...

Matthews1127 and missy like this.

5. missy
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by missy » Jun 23, 2019
    I already shared a similar story but it is a different person who complimented me though it was also on the subway. I find it uncomfortable to be complimented on bling on the subway because it doesn't feel like a safe environment to me. And I always turn my ring around but that time somehow he noticed (another male who complimented me) and I felt uneasy. Though it was a subway car filled with people. One never knows if anyone would come to your rescue when in a precarious situation. Anyway it was an innocent compliment in hindsight but felt funny at the time.

And another awkward time was in our local cream shoppe in Brooklyn. It is no longer around sadly but it was such a great mom and pop ice cream shoppe. Anyway Greg and I had just gotten engaged and we went in and the young man (who knew us from our regular visits to this ice cream shoppe) behind the counter made such a fuss about the ring. He noticed it right away too. And he went on and on and on about how huge, how amazing, how beautiful and it embarrassed me. The whole engagement thing was so new to me and still didn't feel real and IDK I was embarrassed by the big fuss this boy was making. Especially given the fact that he was struggling working his way through school and here I was with this expensive ring. Yeah I felt sort of bad. I know that should not have been my feeling but at the time I was feeling that way.

Tekate and Matthews1127 like this.
  6. MissGotRocks
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by MissGotRocks » Jun 23, 2019
    So this was years ago when I had my first three stone ring - not the last two with the ACAs.

I had gone for a followup to a mammogram and to have a thyroid sonogram. Always nerve wracking to have people looking 'inside' at body parts - ha! The sonogram/mammogram revealed nothing but a cyst and the thyroid sonogram had been completed. I was sitting in a room waiting on the radiologist to give me results of the thyroid. Still nervous - I don't like that stuff - who does? The door opened and the radiologist and three scrub clad women came in. I didn't know if they were nurses or doctors or what but I immediately was in a panic as I thought it must be bad news to have that many people come to deliver it. I said "what it is?" meaning what did you find and they said, "Oh, nothing, it's fine - we just wanted to see your ring!" Can't tell you the jumble of emotions I felt at one time - relief, frustration and wonderment at the ring compliments. I told them they almost had a stroke patient on their hands and they just laughed. Not the best bedside or professionalism I've encountered! We all like compliments but I could have definitely foregone that one!

7. Matthews1127
    Ideal_Rock

by Matthews1127 » Jun 23, 2019
    I had a similar encounter with my new OB/GYN. She never said a word, but she STARED at my rings the entire consult, until it was time to do the exam.
    I use my hands a LOT when I talk, and her eyes followed my diamonds like she was completing an alcohol sobriety test...lol!!
    It was SO obvious! After my visit, I went to work & shared my story with my boss (also an avid jewelry lover), and we both had a good laugh over it...lol!!! :mrgreen2:

OoohShiny, Tekate and redwood66 like this.
  8. Matthews1127
    Ideal_Rock

by Matthews1127 » Jun 23, 2019
    It was definitely a nice distraction to those grieving. It was completely unexpected, on my part; just took me off guard. I almost felt guilty for being excited, while attending such a solemn occasion.
    To be fair, it was our first encounter with friends since our engagement, and word got around FAST about our engagement...lol!
    I was happy to bring a glimpse of joy during a time of sadness.

9. Tekate
    Ideal_Rock

by Tekate » Jun 23, 2019
    I walk up to strangers and ask them about their ring(s)! I am the stalker of people in a public place that will gawk at rings..

I did have my ring reset for my 10th wedding anniversary and I wore it out and a girl at a register ooohed and awwed my ring! only time ever that someone said I had a beautiful ring :)

Matthews1127 likes this.
  10. partgypsy
    Ideal_Rock

by partgypsy » Jun 23, 2019
    I was about to be put under laughing gas for a dental procedure, and the female anestheologist said "and once you are under you will be aware of what we are doing, but you wont care, I can even take your diamond studs and you'll just think it's funny." I think she is trying to make a joke, but kind of a weird thing to say, right before I'm not in control of my own body.

OoohShiny, anne_h and Matthews1127 like this.

11. Alex T
    Ideal_Rock

by Alex T » Jun 23, 2019
    By the Dr who was removing my coil a couple of years back. It had dislodged & needed some serious "work" to locate it. It was really painful so I had put my left hand onto my abdomen. She said, as she rummaged with her spotlight "Oh, I absolutely LOVE your rings!" :-o :oops: :lol-2:

Matthews1127 and partgypsy like this.
  12. Bron357
    Ideal_Rock

by Bron357 » Jun 23, 2019
    In public toilets at the Mall.
    The stall next door was out of toilet paper and the lady asked for a spare roll from my stall if I had one. I obliged.
    I passed the roll under the side wall and she said
    “Thanks so much, OMG I love your ring”.
    Washing hands at sink I was joined by her and she asked for an “up close look”. Admired my watch and earrings, showed me her watch and necklace, said thanks again and we went our separate ways.

13. redwood66
    Ideal_Rock

by redwood66 » Jun 23, 2019
    You have a beautiful ring! :kiss2:

Matthews1127, partgypsy and Tekate like this.
  14. Asscherhalo_lover
    Ideal_Rock
    Trade

by Asscherhalo_lover » Jun 23, 2019
    A guy on the sidewalk decided to "Holla" at me as I was stuck in traffic in my car, gotta love Brooklyn!

Matthews1127 likes this.
  15. DiamondGal28
    Rough_Rock

by DiamondGal28 » Jun 25, 2019
    At work, in the middle of a meeting in a conference room full of people. I was talking and a semi-friendly colleague cuts me off mid-sentence to comment on my ring. I was mortified! After that I sat on my hand if I needed to speak during meetings. :oops::oops:

Matthews1127 likes this.

16. arkieb1
    Ideal_Rock

by arkieb1 » Jun 25, 2019
    Doctors at doctors offices and random strangers in toilets....

Matthews1127 likes this.
  17. jordyonbass
    Brilliant_Rock
    Trade

by jordyonbass » Jun 25, 2019
    Men's room urinal. Let's just leave it at that :lol::saint:

redwood66 and Matthews1127 like this.