shape
carat
color
clarity

Sparkle Question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Meraj

Rough_Rock
Do you think that having an Excellent polish/symetry vs. Very Good polish/symetry have any impact on the sparkle in the diamond??? I know that it is the crown/pavillion and all the rest of the numbers that makes the sparkle but what I am asking is...can a diamond get a great HCA # or ideal scope / brilliant scope rating etc while still having a VG polish/symetry. Thanks!

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Mera, I think the threads below will anwer a lot of the initial questions you posed in your original thread about symettry. When considering symettry do not confuse symmetry as currently evaluated by the labs with optical symmetry. Current evaluations of symmetry only consider external meet point faceting. GIA symmetry need not mean much

Confused about the definition of a H&A diamond

Difference b/t VG polish/VG symmetry and Ex polish/Ex symmetry?

Which is more important - polish or symmetry

To answer your last question: Yes I think a diamond can get a great HCA # or ideal scope / brilliant scope rating etc while still having a VG polish/symetry. If the symmetry is off you will be able to tell if you look straight into the table. I think Lack of symmetry makes very little difference when it comes to light return, fire, etc.. People can tell if your diamond sparkles but no one can see a diamond has perfect symmetry..

Also check out this tutorial:
http://www.ideal-scope.com/using_symmetry.asp

-Josh RIoux

9.gif
9.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Greetings AJ,

Without downplaying the GIA Ex/Ex grade, the sparkle factor (or more specifically how fiery, brilliant or scintillating a diamond is) depends more upon it's proportions and the angles/precsion to which they've been cut to than anything else. There is in our Educational diamonds section a stone we purchased that was a GIA with Ex symmetry and only VG polish yet had some of the most outstanding optics we've seen in a diamond. http://www.goodoldgold.com/1_11ct_e_vvs2_h&a.htm We generally limit our purchasing of stones to the GIA Ex/Ex or AGS "0" caliber (for starters) but if the stone checks out to be superior in various other aspects concerning it's optical analysis then I wouldn't rule it out.

Most of the finely cut diamonds, with the most flattering proportions usually will also get the highest grades of polish & symmetry as well. Before the cut revolution the most valued diamonds on the market were the GIA Ex/Ex (and that's before AGS introduced the "Ideal"). GIA Ex/Ex are still among the most rare.

Rhino

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results