shape
carat
color
clarity

Spacer vs soldering

Ally66

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hello all! When I got my 3 stone ring reset I soldered a plain gold band to it in order to protect the milgrain. As I've worn it for a while, I don't like the width this creates, so I'm considering having a thinner band replace the one that's currently in place. Help me understand, though -- would a spacer accomplish the same thing? It seems like I need something "fixed" in place to protect my 3 stone's delicate details, and a spacer ring would potentially rub and cause damage over time? Is sticking with a soldered band my best option?

Thanks for any opinions!

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
Not sure, sorry. Hopefully someone will jump in to help :) GL!

Ally66

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you, Cinnamonstick! Not a rocket science question at all, but if anyone has thoughts...

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd say, if you don't have fingers where you have knuckles that are larger, where you'd size your rings to make it over the knuckle, but they'd be a little loose on your finger and spin, then you'd be safe with separate rings because theremwouldnt be an opportunity for rings spinning and rubbing against each other.

Ally66

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks, PintoBean! This is kind of what I've been thinking, too -- if the rings are just sitting there, not moving too much, it seems like a spacer would be ok.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I find using spacers work fine and I agree I don't like soldering rings together. Leaves you no room to change what you wear, what order you wear them in etc. I like freedom to choose and I think a spacer should work just fine. But see how it goes because it depends on how it fits and take it from there. Hope it works out well for you.

Ally66

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you, Missy! I think I'm going to give the spacer route a try!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't like the permanence of soldering. I'd definitely start with a spacer, and see how that works, before you go the soldering route. Obviously having them soldered will prevent moving, and moving, banging, grinding, etc., is how you get the wear you're worried about, but if they don't do that with the extra band, then why solder them and prevent yourself from having the option of wearing just your band?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results