shape
carat
color
clarity

SOS: Aqua Setting Help

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
After months of researching settings and coming up with what I thought was my perfect vision for my very beloved JW aquamarine, I am in dire need of some expert (read: PSer) advice.

Weeks gone by, many detailed e-mails and CADs aplenty, things just didn't feel right. (Please let me clarify. It's not about the vendor, just the actual setting. He is already working on a different project for me.) So, I am back to square one. I am hopeful that something will click. At least it is much more likely to click here, with your help. P-L-E-A-S-E?

Things I think I know for certain:

* platinum setting

* Classic, Art Deco, or even Art Nouveau inspired

* diamond melee

* a setting that makes the most of the aqua blue and shows off Jeff's superb cutting

This project has an enormous amount of symbolism (cancer free!) attached to it. I appreciate any advice in advance.

Thank you so much!

JW%20aqua%20custom%20antique%20cushion_0.jpg

sphenequeen

Brilliant_Rock
Hi!

I think these are two great setting ideas for your stone. They are both from Jewels by Erica Grace - I love that each design would highlight your stone without too much fuss. A competent, skilled jeweler should be able to design something like this to house your specific stone shape.

ASSCHER%20TRAPS.jpg
Asscher cut diamond with trapezoids and bullets

ILLUSION%20TOP.jpg
Illusion setting (round stone in a square setting) with filigree

I know you said you wanted diamond melee. Are you leaning towards a halo setting? If so, there are several great examples of that on this website. Otherwise you can incorporate melee into an existing design.

Best of luck!

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Omg. The filigree. I gasped.

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
I really like the 5-stone ring sphenequeen posted: there's nothing more classic and beautiful than trap and bullet sidestones with a cushion. Leon Mege has some variations of 3- and 5-stone combinations, so that's another place to look for inspiration if you haven't already looked there. I also like these from Singlestone:

HFS0114.jpg

8J12231.jpg

Can you give some information about what hasn't worked for you?

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
Sphenequeen ~

Thank you for responding and with pictures too! :appl:

I do like many of the settings on JBEG's site. (I actually went so far as to get a quote on one of her Signature Settings for my aqua.) That said, I had not seen either of the images you posted, so thank you again. Food for thought....

~ faegrace

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
Aoife ~

Those are beautiful settings. Thank you for sharing them.

I think one of the most difficult parts of building this ring is what happens underneath the stone. Gallery, correct? Initially, I thought scrolls would be a fine look but quickly realized they just weren't doing much for me. And I like my settings to sit fairly low.

I want to love the ring from all angles. I tend to notice details, always have, and I think details in a setting can determine whether I love it or it sits in a drawer. There's no way that can happen here. :nono:

~ faegrace

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
faegrace|1308978896|2954642 said:
Aoife ~

Those are beautiful settings. Thank you for sharing them.

I think one of the most difficult parts of building this ring is what happens underneath the stone. Gallery, correct? Initially, I thought scrolls would be a fine look but quickly realized they just weren't doing much for me. And I like my settings to sit fairly low.

I want to love the ring from all angles. I tend to notice details, always have, and I think details in a setting can determine whether I love it or it sits in a drawer. There's no way that can happen here. :nono:

~ faegrace

Could you post some photos of rings that are close-but-not-quite-there so we have a starting point? That lovely aqua certainly deserves a wonderful setting.

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for saying so, Aoife. :) I appreciate it!
I will definitely work on posting images tomorrow.

T

talamasca

Aoife|1308978134|2954636 said:

:love: OMG, I loooooove this one. The twist on the sides is stunning!!!!

T

talamasca

Not too sure on what you like, but had a quick go on Google and saw these which look lovely

Side 2.jpg

Side 1.gif

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
I really like those french cuts settings that're all over PS recently. The effect is like sparkles on ripples of water, especially if you place an aqua as a centre stone. How large is your aqua?

natsplat

Brilliant_Rock
I totally agree with Lovinggems: my first thought was french cuts to match the "wateriness" of the aqua. Very clean lines, not fussy, but still delicate. Don't have any pictures for this though...

diva rose

Shiny_Rock
talamasca|1308982113|2954653 said:
Aoife|1308978134|2954636 said:

:love: OMG, I loooooove this one. The twist on the sides is stunning!!!!

Love it!! :love: That really caught my eye.

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
Talamasca & Diva Rose ~

Yes, that setting from Single Stone is very pretty. ( :appl: to Aoife) May be too delicate for these worn hands.... LOL
Thanks for the input! I like its simplicity. Tal, the pics you posted are lovely but I am thinking a bit more streamlined as I plan to wear it a lot. (Think of it as sort of my e-ring to myself for engaging in life, committed to truly living, or what have you.)

LG ~

My aqua is just over 9mm (4.07ct). French Cuts would be amazing. I had some photos saved as inspiration. I did some checking then and believed them to be out of my budget or my financial ceiling. There may be a way to get the effect of water in a more affordable way though.

Nat ~

Thanks for chiming in too! :)

I'll look for more images today, after coffee.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful aqua, and I don't have any design ideas because I think it would look great in just about anything! Looking forward to this project. :appl:

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
Thank you, TL :) Knowing how much you love beryl, it means a lot. hehe

Okay, I cannot upload any of the images to PS that I have saved to My Photos, as inspiration. :( I don't know if they're just not in the right format or ???

~ a very caffeinated faegrace

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
faegrace|1309015920|2954792 said:
Thank you, TL :) Knowing how much you love beryl, it means a lot. hehe

Okay, I cannot upload any of the images to PS that I have saved to My Photos, as inspiration. :( I don't know if they're just not in the right format or ???

~ a very caffeinated faegrace

Save them as jpg files.

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
TL, thanks for the tech advice!

I want to preface the images by saying that there are elements of each I really like or an overall look I am drawn to. It will seem I am a bit "all over the place" if they're viewed as a whole.

* JBEG Setting: I like the milgrain that peeks around the edges of the stone, creating almost a halo effect. This ring was the primary inspiration for my setting. However, as I viewed CAD after CAD, the side view didn't work for me, regardless of modifications (remember I am not much into scrolls :oops: ) Other modifications included setting the stone as low as possible, widening the band and making it a knife edge that flowed into a comfort fit, making the diamond 'halo' larger so you'd see even more of the milgrain from a straight-on view....

solitaire%20setting.jpg

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
(a side view of the JBEG setting)

aqua%20setting%20close%20up.jpg

* Durnell Setting: I like the simple lines of this setting but not jumping up and down about the elevation of the center stone.

Durnell%20ring.jpg

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
* Fellow PSer Setting: As mentioned, the French Cuts are so, so beautiful, but more than likely waaay outta my price range. This is a lovely example. I kind of melt when I see it because it incorporates the fine beadwork with the cuts....

French%20Cuts.jpg

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
In talking about the gallery (and acknowleging that you don't like scrolls), what about using an upside down "ribbon emblem" squished to the right proportions. It could also contain the melee you like.

ribbon gallery.JPG

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
* Beaudry Setting: I am very drawn to the work on the basket and the engraving on the band of this setting. The rest is too blingy for this particular project though.

So%20Inspired.jpg

* Brian Gavin Setting: I :love: the basket detail and cut out work all over this setting! TDF! I don't know what you'd do about/instead of all the side diamonds, as they're not practical (not to mention affordable) for me.

inspiration.jpg

I think that is it for now. Thank you for looking and even more for responding. I want to believe this project is going to unfold exactly as it should.

sphenequeen

Brilliant_Rock
Upgradable|1309021335|2954835 said:
In talking about the gallery (and acknowleging that you don't like scrolls), what about using an upside down "ribbon emblem" squished to the right proportions. It could also contain the melee you like.

What a great idea! I can see how one of these "ribbon" details can be made into the prongs that hold the stone... and what a great way to commemorate beating cancer!

Many of the designers that have been posted here can take an exsiting design and modify it with the details you are looking for. If you love the Beaudry gallery, it is something that can be incorporated into a different style. I would find the rings that have the elements I want and send them off to your designer of choice - something like "I love X shank detail, X gallery detail, and for my stone to sit as low as possible (etc. etc.).

Looking forward to the end result!

sapphirecats

Shiny_Rock
wow, that aqua is among the most beautiful I have ever seen! :lickout: What is JW? I would set that baby in a double halo, ,yummy!

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
:wavey: sapphirecats ~

JW is Jeff White; he custom cut this aqua for me. Thank you for the compliment. This gem is what turned my thinking (180 degrees 'round!) about my birthstone. Since then, I've seen other exquisite examples of aqua here on PS, more blue-green and highly saturated.

I wish I had the skill to superimpose my gem onto the images of the various settings I like. It would save the artist who is eventually making the ring a lot of headaches. (Thank you for your patience, Michael.)

~ faegrace

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Im absolutely loving your aqua!!! :love: The color sooooo cool and refreshing! The cut is Stunning and sooo facet-tee! :appl: Cant wait to see the finished project!!

p.s. im not very creative when it come to setting designs. :(sad I do believe this aqua pretty in any setting...you cant go wrong with this one!! ;))

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
Hi, ZB :appl:

I like your new avatar. Very nice!

Thank you for the compliments. I am going to take my time to make sure the setting is everything I hope for. It has been an interesting experience letting go of my original plans, rethinking. I am very thankful for the technology of CADs. I daresay that without that visual aid, I would've been disappointed by the final ring. I wouldn't have been able to see my initial choices aren't what I want at all.

Thanks again, ZB!

~ faegrace

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Faegrace, your aqua is beautiful and will look stunning in any setting. Congratulations on being cancer free. :appl: :appl: :appl:

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
Thank you, Marcy! :D

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
Faegrace, I wish I could be more help to you. I do see some common themes in the photos you posted. Have you considered a split shank design, with engraving on the shanks, and a basket similar to the Beaudry design you say you like? The Brian Gavin design (is that Matata's ring?) has a similar basket, and if you eliminated the diamonds on that setting, you're left with a split shank that ends with milgrain.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results