shape
carat
color
clarity

Songs you either didn''t get the lyrics to, or others didn''t......

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen before they start rocking in the middle of the song, I still don''t know what the proper lyrics are but I always think it sounds like

'' Devil has a sideboard me... For me.....For MEEEEEEEEEEEE........."

Then the rocking bit starts!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/19/2009 10:47:48 PM
Author: Skippy123

Date: 2/19/2009 9:05:29 PM
Author: arjunajane
Yes - Dire Straits ''money for nothing''

We had a hits of the 80''s album we used to rock out to when we were little - I always thought (and sung) the hook to that song as ''Money for Nothing and CHIPS for free!'' instead of Chicks for free...
20.gif

Hey, I was a kid - I wanted CHIPS!!

I''m sure there are more, but that one always sticks out for me..
9.gif
OMG,
lol.gif
I thought it was CHECKS for free since they were talking about money. doh!!!
6.gif
Now I know! ha!
face20.gif
ROFL! thats too funny that you still had it as checks Skip! At least yours makes sense, lol..

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/20/2009 12:32:28 AM
Author: Linda W

Date: 2/19/2009 9:05:29 PM
Yes - Dire Straits ''money for nothing''

We had a hits of the 80''s album we used to rock out to when we were little - I always thought (and sung) the hook to that song as ''Money for Nothing and CHIPS for free!'' instead of Chicks for free...
20.gif

Hey, I was a kid - I wanted CHIPS!!

I''m sure there are more, but that one always sticks out for me..
9.gif

ha ha ha ha ha AJ, you have me rolling with this. ha ha ha ha ha
HaHa, it still makes me giggle Linda - I think it was at least 10yrs until I had a lightbulb moment on that one..
41.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/19/2009 10:50:59 PM
Author: Italiahaircolor

Date: 2/19/2009 10:44:26 PM

Date: 2/19/2009 10:15:44 PM
Author: tlh

Date: 2/19/2009 10:10:26 PM
The Pussycat Dolls

real lyrics : I want see the world, drive nice cars, I wanna have have groupies

I thought they said : I want to see the world, drive nice cars, I wanna have boobies
23.gif

And Britney Spears new song If You Seek Amy...now, say it out loud and think about it....I didn''t pick up on it at first either, but now I do.
HAHAHAH... took me like 15 times hearing the song to know it was groupies and not boobies....
Me too! And I thought that line was such a disgrace! Actually I think PCD are pretty disgraceful in general..
14.gif
I really like them...and they are opening for BS in April...I am sooo excited!!

Thats just me Italia - for some reason folks like PCD rub me the wrong way these days -I find myself being very disapproving, and then I catch myself and think "boy am I becoming a prude before my time !", lol..

I''m sure the concert will be fun
5.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
My daughter went to see the PCD recently and she loved it. I have a little diva story for you about them.

My nail technician was telling me that their manager called her when they were playing here and asked if she could send someone over to their hotel to do the PCD nails and hair. My nail tech said sorry but we have customers here now but we can come in an hour to which he said 'No they want you now or not at all!'

In this case the regular customers came first. Good for the salon!!

I genuinely thought they said boobies!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Today my cousin's wife sent me a link to this: a video of Joe Cocker singing "A Little Help From My Friends" at Woodstock in 1969. I immediately thought of this thread and decided that I had to post it here. If it isn't obvious to everybody, the words helpfully supplied by the video are not the true lyrics of the song ;-).

(Sorry, everyone. I deleted the link. I hadn't realized it had some offensive material in the video!)

Deborah
34.gif

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It happens to me all the time -- I hear a song I grew up with and suddenly I hear some part of the lyrics in a way that makes sense, rather than the shoehorned version of the lyrics I've assumed for -- oh, a decade or three?

This past weekend, I was just settling in for a long drive to see "the folks" when I the radio started playing "White Rabbit" by the Jefferson Airplane. Sorry, but I'll have to cut out the interesting anecdotes about the last time I saw Jefferson Airplane/Starship live... suffice it to say I've always assumed the line in question was "tell them Ma Hooper's smoking characters.... " This past Saturday was the first time I realized that Grace was singing about "a hooka-smoking character....
40.gif

At least I can credibly claim that I have no hookas in my distant past!

I'm beginning to understand the "old folks" complaints about unintelligible words. In fact.....
2.gif

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/20/2009 5:34:27 AM
Author: Lorelei
In Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen before they start rocking in the middle of the song, I still don''t know what the proper lyrics are but I always think it sounds like

'' Devil has a sideboard me... For me.....For MEEEEEEEEEEEE.........''

Hehe, this one got me too! The lyrics (in case you are interested) are:

"Beelzebub has a devil put aside for me, for me, for me"

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2009 11:03:06 PM
Author: AGBF

Today my cousin''s wife sent me a link to this: a video of Joe Cocker singing ''A Little Help From My Friends'' at Woodstock in 1969. I immediately thought of this thread and decided that I had to post it here. If it isn''t obvious to everybody, the words helpfully supplied by the video are not the true lyrics of the song ;-).

(Sorry, everyone. I deleted the link. I hadn''t realized it had some offensive material in the video!)

Deborah
34.gif
Deb...great minds think alike. But...you''re too late!

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/19/2009 8:51:33 PM
Author: OUpeargirl
Date: 2/19/2009 8:49:31 PM

Author: choro72

Eiffel65''s song ''Blue''. The chorus is

''I''m blue Da ba dee, da ba di Da ba dee, da ba di...''

To my ears it sounds forever as

''I''m blue, I''m in need of a guy, I''m in need of a guy...''

Haha!!! I thought it was either that or ''If I was green I would die''

Pepsi all over my monitor.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Deb,

That video of Joe Cocker was posted awhile back in the hangout. It is hilarious. Some guy made other videos of others singing too. He listens then posts what he hears. It is so funny. I saved the video and sent it to all of my friends.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
3/10/2009 12:00:45 AM
Author: Regular Guy

Deb...great minds think alike. But...you''re too late!

Thanks for the heads up, Ira! The link to the other thread allowed me to listen to a highly entertaining interpretation of a Pearl Jam performance. Yes, indeed, our singers do enunciate well!

Deb
34.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/9/2009 11:41:17 PM

Hehe, this one got me too! The lyrics (in case you are interested) are:

''Beelzebub has a devil put aside for me, for me, for me''
ROFL!!!!

Thanks, now I know!!!
31.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/10/2009 12:07:00 AM
Author: pennquaker09

Date: 2/19/2009 8:51:33 PM

Date: 2/19/2009 8:49:31 PM

Author: choro72

Eiffel65''s song ''Blue''. The chorus is

''I''m blue Da ba dee, da ba di Da ba dee, da ba di...''

To my ears it sounds forever as

''I''m blue, I''m in need of a guy, I''m in need of a guy...''

Haha!!! I thought it was either that or ''If I was green I would die''

Pepsi all over my monitor.
Mine too!! ROFLMAO!!!!

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/19/2009 6:06:03 PM
Author: MC
I just have to add a comment to my above post, before I run off to the kids'' bus stop, that Stevie Nicks has the coolest voice ever! Definetly the best female singer of all time!
Distinctive? Yes! Great for what she sings? Yes! Best female singer of all time? No! We always called her "Goatwoman". That vibrato - yikes! And nowadays they''ve had to re-key all her songs so she can sing them in the basement. I''m not trashing her truly, I love her, and had her album (whichever one had Edge of Seventeen) in college. On vinyl. Wonder where that is...hmm....
2.gif

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen before they start rocking in the middle of the song, I still don't know what the proper lyrics are but I always think it sounds like

' Devil has a sideboard me... For me.....For MEEEEEEEEEEEE.........'

Beelzubub has a devil set aside for me.... is what I recall it as.

ETA - ah! I see someone else has already answered. ;-)

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/10/2009 9:06:43 AM
Author: ksinger

Beelzubub has a devil set aside for me.... is what I recall it as.

ETA - ah! I see someone else has already answered. ;-)
Thanks Karen!!
35.gif

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Pussycat Dolls

I thought they said : I want to see the world, drive nice cars, I wanna have boobies
23.gif
ME TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Even though I googled the real lyrics just to confirm she wasn''t indeed saying ''boobies'', I STILL hear it as ''boobies''!

And I''m notorious for changing lyrics. I really dont care much for them, so I insert whatever I feel like into the song and sing it on the top of my lungs. Mr. Kama is always correcting my lyrics, but I tell him it''s not fun if I sing them right
16.gif

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
This thread made me snort my water lol. Boobies and groupies and devils, oh my!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/10/2009 9:59:11 AM
Author: kama_s

The Pussycat Dolls

23.gif
ME TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Even though I googled the real lyrics just to confirm she wasn''t indeed saying ''boobies'', I STILL hear it as ''boobies''!

And I''m notorious for changing lyrics. I really dont care much for them, so I insert whatever I feel like into the song and sing it on the top of my lungs. Mr. Kama is always correcting my lyrics, but I tell him it''s not fun if I sing them right
16.gif
I do that too and if they make absolutely NO SENSE then so much the better! There is a silly seventies song called '' Goodbye My Love" and the gist is the lady is leaving and is going to get on a plane. The lovelorn singer wails about the plane engines which I always sing..." I can hear the engines softly screaming.....'' hehe! Drives my Husband bonkers and the more he complains the more I sing it.
16.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
3/10/2009 9:05:21 AM

Distinctive? Yes! Great for what she sings? Yes! Best female singer of all time? No!

Oh, you purist, Karen-the-Singer! Although I have to agree that I have heard the Queen of the Night aria sung by someone better (on vinyl). Maybe Joan Sutherland. I am also very fond of Maria Callas, even though she is not a coloratura.

Deb
34.gif

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/19/2009 7:27:15 PM
Author: swedish bean
Date: 2/19/2009 7:00:31 PM

Author: princesss

Alanis Morsette''s song, ''You Oughta Know'' used to have me singing, ''This is the cross-eyed bear that you gave to me,'' instead of ''This is the cross I bear,'' LOL

DITTO.
19.gif

Thritto! I thought maybe she was talking about a baby that had a lazy eye and she was mad at him about it?

Whenever I hear Tiny Dancer by Elton John, I always sing along "HOLD ME CLOSER, TONY DANZA!!!!" (yes, that deserved all caps, since I always sing it at the top of my lungs.
9.gif
)

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
I always thought "manic Monday" was "magic Monday" until a few days ago.

The song makes a lot more sense to me now
17.gif

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 10:25:04 AM
Author: ladypirate
Date: 2/19/2009 7:27:15 PM

Author: swedish bean

Date: 2/19/2009 7:00:31 PM

Author: princesss

Alanis Morsette''s song, ''You Oughta Know'' used to have me singing, ''This is the cross-eyed bear that you gave to me,'' instead of ''This is the cross I bear,'' LOL

DITTO.
19.gif

Thritto! I thought maybe she was talking about a baby that had a lazy eye and she was mad at him about it?

Whenever I hear Tiny Dancer by Elton John, I always sing along ''HOLD ME CLOSER, TONY DANZA!!!!'' (yes, that deserved all caps, since I always sing it at the top of my lungs.
9.gif
)

Hehe tony danza..

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
LOL. Wow, I''m dying over here (and making my coworkers look at me strangely!). These lyric misinterpretations are hilarious--especially Alanis'' "cross-eyed bear" and "hold me closer, Tony Danza." I would be just as upset as Alanis (and pretty freakin'' confused) if someone gave me a cross-eyed bear!

Gayletmom

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, I too am laughing out loud, all by myself at my computer. Those are hilarious!

Here are mine, one song and one just a ridiculously silly misunderstanding. First, when we were in high school there was an annoyingly peppy song that my best friend believed was titled . The real lyrics went two of hearts, two hearts that beat as one.

Then, last winter my mother and I went to Washington, DC to spend the weekend with my sister. It was cold and my mother was very confused as to why everyone kept warning her to watch out for "the black guys". Mom said she didn't think my sister's neighborhood seemed that dangerous. It turns out that everyone was warning us about "black ice". Yes, my mother is from a different generation and probably has her own biases but it was still pretty funny. We still crack up about it.

Gayletmom

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry for the confusion. My friend thought the song was called "Two Pop Tarts" when it was really "Two of Hearts".

I''m still working on how to edit my posts!

starsapphire

Shiny_Rock
I always thought "Hells Bells" by AC/DC was "House Bills"!!!!

Scorpioanne

Shiny_Rock
My first husband (sounds like I have had 15 but am only on #2) is a professional musician and often was asked to transcribe music from an audio source to sheet music (I don''t know why they didn''t just buy all the parts required but anyway...) was transcribing a song that had the line "meet you on the rooftop". I jsut about peed myself when I saw that he had written it out as "midget on a rooftop". He also thought the song "Peg" by Steeley Dan was "Pig".

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/10/2009 10:20:38 AM
Author: AGBF

Date:
3/10/2009 9:05:21 AM

Distinctive? Yes! Great for what she sings? Yes! Best female singer of all time? No!

Oh, you purist, Karen-the-Singer! Although I have to agree that I have heard the Queen of the Night aria sung by someone better (on vinyl). Maybe Joan Sutherland. I am also very fond of Maria Callas, even though she is not a coloratura.

Deb
34.gif
Ha! I won''t threadjack (too much anyway) and get started on opera singers. I could wax for a bit. However, Deb, since you mention Callas, I will assume that my next attempts at name dropping will have their intended effect. I''ve not met more than one in 50 around here who knew enough to be impressed.
2.gif
I hope you will. A cousin of mine by the name of Lucille (Lucilla) Udovick sang opera. She was not huge in the states, but was well-known in her day in Europe. She was a dramatic soprano specializing in those roles and had a large repertoire. She excelled at Norma., I have a recording of her doing Elektra at the 1959 Glynndebourne Opera Festival, and she sang at a level to sing with Corelli (Turandot in a 1959 Italian television production - I have the tape) and Tucker (Turandot - Houston Grand Opera, 1960 - I have the pics of my mom and aunts backstage with her, Tucker, and his wife). She was also the one asked to fill in for the famous Callas Norma walkout after the first act. I imagine her at home with a glass of wine, kicked back, when the call came. "Ummm....can you run over here and sing the rest of Norma in oh....the next 30 minutes?" She was quite the diva herself, and declined. She lived in Rome all her life and died in 2000? They did a nice obit write-up on her in Opera News.

So yeah, I DO love opera.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results