shape
carat
color
clarity

Sometimes I’m curious...

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wonder how popular the Vintage/Antique section is in comparison to other sub-forums here on PS. Is it more of a place that folks come to look vs post? Also if you are a vintage person do you regularly look at all the other sections?

For myself, I look through nearly every other section here even if I don’t have anything to contribute. It’s fun to see all the projects in colored stones, I’m rather amazed at the advances in growing lab stones so it’s fun to see the rings posted in that section.

Was there a time this part of PS was not as active? I’ve only been here since 2016 so just curious about how it has evolved over time.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Well, mostly everything I own is antique or antique components. But I don't post in here a lot for some reason. I don't know why. This section is slower compared to others. Probably because of folks like me. I look at a little bit of everything, but probably post in Hangout the least.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@elizat, it will be interesting to see if others respond with a similar viewpoint. I think part of the reason I wondered about this is that the old cuts do seem to be so popular and because of that you would think this forum would be hopping! I do think there are a lot of readers and lookers here though.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hit new posts and just read the topics I find interesting so I miss things.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I honestly don't post much of what I have or acquire or am looking at. I don't know why. I really kind of think most folks wouldn't be interested, I suppose.

lovetodream

Shiny_Rock
Well, I'm pretty new, but I love antique and vintage. I actually look at this page a lot, especially for @YadaYadaYada to post things I should maybe buy on the "Somebody's Gotta Buy This Piece" thread!

I look to many of you to learn, but I don't think I have much to offer in terms of expertise. So I mostly lurk.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I honestly don't post much of what I have or acquire or am looking at. I don't know why. I really kind of think most folks wouldn't be interested, I suppose.

I’m interested:)

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I would like to argue with you on this -haha!

edited to add:
I would LOVE to see an @elizat collection thread. Doesn’t matter what forum you pick to put it in :)

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also I share my old cuts in SMTB so generally won’t share in the antique forum too. I figure whoever is interested can see it in SMTB.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@elizat We are definitely interested!

@lovetodream, I hope you find something in that thread sometime ;-) and if you do come back and share of course.

@missy, that explains why maybe some folks don’t share here, maybe they feel they would be over sharing or they just think of SMTB first.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@elizat, how could we not be interested in that beautiful ring! :love: It's gorgeous! Can't wait to see the finished piece!

ETA - forgot to comment on OP - This subforum definitely seems a litte more active than in the past. I would say SMTB and Hangout are the most active. It's nice to see this subforum getting a little love LOL.

Last edited:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@elizat, you have really been holding out on us! That ring is amazing!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
@elizat, you have really been holding out on us! That ring is amazing!

It is a good one. It's almost done. I think really soon. It's been in the works since fall of 2019.

I actually wasn't planning on showing those one here because it's so different than what the usual aesthetic is for SMTB- it's definitely not precision cut, etc.!

It's probably something that's very taste specific. But it is very much my preferences!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will work on it!

I will drop this photo for now. It's not done yet and I don't yet have it. We are finalizing some finishing on it.

Screenshot_20210208-184819.jpg Screenshot_20210208-184813.jpg

That’s stunning @elizat ❤️

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
To answer your original question, I’ve wondered the same thing! This forum was the first one that I ever posted in so it holds a special place in my heart. But there were rarely new posts back then so I stopped visiting as frequently as I do the rest of the forums. Until recently. Lately I stop by almost daily! Now. I do think that it’s odd that so many PSers love old cuts but don’t seem to embrace the overall antique aesthetic when it comes to jewelry—I even started a thread in hangout about this to see what the overall consensus was. Anyhow. This thread is becoming a lot more lively since the regulars started to nurture it!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am like @missy
Under "forums", I hit the "new posts" tab.
Then I can see everything. I look at the things that seem interesting.
My favorites are:
Antiques and Vintage
Pearls
Hangout
Colored Stones

My most favorite thread is "Who Wants to See My Haul"
That thread can't be beat!
Thanks to the awesome Yada.

But I do look at everything else if I have time.

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
I for one love this forum. I'm mostly a lurker, because I don't have much of a budget right now, but I have to agree with @stracci2000 the "Who Wants to See My Haul" thread is one of my faves for sure! There are zero bargain finds to be had in NYC, so I live vicariously via that thread. :)

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
I love this forum but probably need to post more often. I got here and CS most often.

It is a good one. It's almost done. I think really soon. It's been in the works since fall of 2019.

I actually wasn't planning on showing those one here because it's so different than what the usual aesthetic is for SMTB- it's definitely not precision cut, etc.!

It's probably something that's very taste specific. But it is very much my preferences!

I am sorry but who wouldn't wanna see GLINDA's gorgeous grown up twin!!???

I bounce all over the place. I started with RockyTalky when I was looking for an engagement ring and wedding band. Then moved onto Colored Stones for "fun" rings. Now that I'm older and spend so much time at home, I much prefer to wear bands as RHRs. And old cuts just really speak to me. So I find myself spending more time on this subforum. But like others, I still visit other areas. Heck, I'll probably start exploring the pearls section next :D

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for your thoughts @junebug17 and I agree, it’s good to see more activity here.

@elizat eh, precision cutting is nice but it isn’t the be all end all. Definitely share more of your acquisitions and projects here, we would love to see them all.

@nala, well it’s good that this forum is making a comeback, it definitely is home to me for sure :)

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I for one love this forum. I'm mostly a lurker, because I don't have much of a budget right now, but I have to agree with @stracci2000 the "Who Wants to See My Haul" thread is one of my faves for sure! There are zero bargain finds to be had in NYC, so I live vicariously via that thread. :)

I only really just discovered that thread !
And am now really enjoying it

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@stracci2000
@lala646
I’m so glad you guys enjoy the haul thread, it started out as a place to share my pawn finds but I love that it has become a place for everyone to share their finds. There is a lot of cool stuff out there that maybe doesn’t fit in with other threads, it isn’t high end but it’s just old and neat. Thinking of your watch part necklace you found recently @stracci2000. A place for everyone you know?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@CSpan, so many good things in colored stones, I love stopping in regularly to see the new projects and amazing colors.

@AnastasiaBeaverhausen, you know I’m not even much of a pearl person but recently I’ve been stopping by there to see what’s going on. MakingtheGrade has some amazing pearls that she made into necklaces.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Daisys and Diamonds, it’s a good “curl up in a comfy chair with a cup of coffee or tea” thread. So much to see, I love threads like that. I’m partial to the 1 carat and under SMTB thread, so many pretty diamonds there.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Daisys and Diamonds, it’s a good “curl up in a comfy chair with a cup of coffee or tea” thread. So much to see, I love threads like that. I’m partial to the 1 carat and under SMTB thread, so many pretty diamonds there.

=)2 :appl:
I actually keep a couple of threads back for when i can't sleep - usually the show me your ......type ones
ill add this to the list !

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Although I do not like to buy second-hand jewellery, I like to browse sites such as Lang's, I&R, JbG and auction houses for setting inspirations, and I like to browse this section on PS for the same reason.

DK :))

Bluemuse

Shiny_Rock
I definitely love the antique forum because antique jewelry is my first passion.
And, like others, I really enjoy the “show me the haul thread”. I don’t always comment and rarely post, but I feel like I’m right there with all of you on treasure hunting missions to thrift and antique stores. The flea market scene here is alive and well and full of interesting finds too.

Having said that I usually refresh the
“New posts” button, so might not always get on that forum and sometimes miss getting back to threads I mean to comment on.
I pop into “Show Me The Bling” when new things are posted.
Otherwise, I like to check out the colored stone, pearls and hangout forums. Rocky Talky the least, but occasionally pop in to learn more about diamonds.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results