shape
carat
color
clarity

Something old/new/borrowed/bue

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is anyone else doing this? If so what are your Something Old/New/Borrowed/Blue, if anyone doesn''t mind sharing? I''d love to know what you''ve all got for the big day! Here''s mine:

Something Old: A brooch, which is two tiny individual 9 carat gold bluebirds, joined by a gold chain. Every female in mum''s side of the family who has been married, for now four generations (my cousin and I are the fourth generation) has worn this to her wedding, so it''s about 100 years old or so. My mum wore them in the front centre of the neckline of her dress. I''m planning to but then up the top of my veil, just peeking out from under my hair at the back.
Something New: The wedding dress!
3.gif

Something Borrowed/Something Blue: I kinda cheated on this one, my borrowed and blue are the same thing
37.gif
Mum wore a blue garter on her wedding day which I plan to wear. It was plain blue but when I asked mum if I could wear it she glammed it up with a pattern made out of swarovski crystals, it''s really cute!

Anyone else?
36.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m hoping to cheat on the borrowed and blue with my grandmother''s turqouise necklace. Which is also old. So... my new will be undergarments.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Something old/Something borrowed: My beautiful late grandmother's pearl necklace, which is my mom's now. The pearls are the most gorgeous, warm ivory. I cannot WAIT to wear it.
Something new: My dress!
Something blue: I'm going to buy a cute little pair of light blue boy-cut (my favorite!) underwear for under the gown.
2.gif

labbielove

Brilliant_Rock
Something Old: (still looking for it ) a vintage locket with a photo of my dad to carry in my bouquet
Something New: My dress!

Something Borrowed: TBD

Something Blue: Blue stretch lace undies (hanky panky brand--- sooo comfy and pretty too)

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Something old: I''m not sure my prom shoes count... They''ll only be 6 years old!

Something new/blue: My dress!
10.gif

Something borrowed: I''m hoping to borrow my jewellery, some drop pearl earrings and a pearl strand necklace. It might count as something old depending how old they are.

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
Something old/borrowed: I''m going to be borrowing a diamond tennis bracelet from my mom. It used to be my grandmother''s

Something new: my dress!

Something blue: Not sure yet, but this will probably be my garter.

Jaders731

Brilliant_Rock
OK.. I think my list is pretty extensive.. meaning.. I think I have some multiples of the something old/something new/....etc.

Something Old: Probably one of my great grandmother''s handkerchiefs... also my Tiffany pearls that were given to me by my family for College graduation.

Something New: Dress, veil, shoes...

Something Borrowed/Something blue: My grandmother on my stepdad''s side... when she got married over 50 years ago (my grandfather D passed away from lung cancer before I ever had a chance to meet him) Her florist stuck a small glass bluebird (alittle bit smaller than a golfball) in her bouquet.. and she found it after the ceremony. Well, she gives the bird to every granddaughter that gets married to put in her bouquet (there are something like 12 of us). The maid of honor is in charge of getting in back after the wedding. (My MOH is scared now that she is in charge of this!! LOL). My grandmother is just soo precious... She celebrates their wedding anniversary every year.. and on her answering machine she says "you have reached the D''s".. I love that she still honors him EVERY single day.. I pray every day, that Fi and I have an ounce of the happiness she had/has in her marriage to Grandpa D. ughh.. Now I''m tearing up!

Something blue (again): My garter is blue...

Anyone else doing the "six pence penny in your shoe"? I am.. although I''m wearing sandals.. so not sure where the penny will go...

oshinbreez

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/1/2007 9:13:00 AM
Author: Jaders731

Anyone else doing the ''six pence penny in your shoe''? I am.. although I''m wearing sandals.. so not sure where the penny will go...

I got a "six-pence" for my daughter when she got married. I think traditionally it''s something the father gives his daughter and puts in her left? shoe. Since my kids father hadn''t been in their lives for many years, I decided to do it myself. If you decide to do it, you can tape it inside your shoe.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
borrowed: sparkly hair pins from SIL''s wedding day
blue: my garter had the date written in blue thread on the inside
old: heirloom rosary
new: dress, shoes, veil
sixpence: same year as FI''s sixpence cufflinks he wore the day of

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
awww, i love hearing about all the neat little treasures people are incorporating into their wedding...i am not sure what i am using yet, so i am happy to get ideas from you guys. I plan to go through my grandma''s and aunts'' jewlery collections to gather some ''old and borrowed"

njc

Brilliant_Rock
Jaders - I was like you... lots of doubles!

Something Old: Six pence, moms pearls dad gave her on their wedding day, a starfish necklace I have that is very sentimental (tucked inside top.... story about it).

Something New: Dress, shoes, veil, hankie, diamond bracelet (wedding present from DH)

Something borrowed: Six pence, moms pearls

Something Blue: MY TOE NAILS! My flowers were blue hydrangeas and my hankie had blue writing (At one point I had a pair of blue shoes, but returned them!)

and I had a six pence in my shoe!

basil

Brilliant_Rock
My great uncle brought a sixpence from England (where he was stationed in WWII) to my grandmother to put in her shoe at her wedding in 1944. My mom wore it in her shoe in 1973. It''s kept in a tiny blue velvet pouch. I''m not exactly sure about the rules for this sort of thing, but I think this may count as something borrowed, something old, and something blue. Just in case
2.gif
, I think I''m going to have my mom embroider our names and wedding date on the inside of my dress in blue thread (when I actually get a dress). I''m hoping to wear the headpiece and trim of my grandmother''s/mom''s veil as well. And I guess I''ll have a new dress/shoes. I''m not sure about ''something borrowed'' because I''m not sure that the sixpence and veil won''t be passed on at that point, and given to me to pass down. I might have to see if my grandmother has a pretty bracelet or ring to wear, but I''m not sure since most of her nice jewelry was stolen in a house burglary some years back. We''ll see.

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
Old: My great grandmother''s pearl earrings, shoes
New: My dress
Borrowed: My sister''s toe ring
Blue: Shoes, a sapphire necklace, the toe ring, and my garter. I like blue :)

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
My grandmother told me about the penny thing, and I''ll do it.
5.gif

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Ummm..

Something Old: I will be carrying a necklace Fi gave me ten years ago when we first dated. The attachment to the pendant is slightly broken, so I''ll just wrap the necklace around my ankle.

Something new: my dress, shoes, tiara, necklace, earrings.

Something borrowed: handkerchief for my bouquet, veil, pearl bracelet.

Something blue: Not sure yet!! I''m not wearing a garter, and I don''t know about blue undies... Maybe something pinned inside my gown?

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
Fun Thread!

Old: The c.1910 lace for my dress. Also some lace trim for my bouquet wrap. And maybe some jewelry if I get lucky at the Atlantic city antique show in a few weeks!
31.gif

New: The rest of my dress, probably my veil, and definitely my undies.

Borrowed: Not sure...maybe my Dad''s wedding band, borrowed from my step-mom. I will ask my grandmom if she has anything, but she is not the sentimental type, so probably not. Of course, I did see a goegrous diamond necklace at an estate jeweler in Asheville...if I can get him to loan it to me, does that count as borrowed?
11.gif

Blue: Hopefully my shoes and undies, possibly a sash.

And I am going to try to (remember to) get a sixpence for my shoe. Note to anyone planning on having one...A friend glued hers inside the shoe so it wouldn''t move around. She said it worked like a charm!

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Old: I have no idea! I''m sure my mom and grandmother will come up with something.
New: My dress, my veil, my jewelry, my shoes... everything it seems....
Borrowed: Don''t know!
Blue: the sapphires in my e-ring, my shoes
sixpence: my sister had one... maybe she can find it and loan it to me?

So I need a little help with the Old and borrowed categories... my mom decided I needed new jewelry so I can''t borrow that, but we did decide that the pearl earrings would be jackets to slip over my diamond studs that I''ve had for 9 years... are those "old" enough???

oshinbreez

Brilliant_Rock
Here's a link about the sixpence in the shoe.

http://www.aluckysixpence.com/

ETA: The one I got for my daughter was bought on ebay and it was from 1979....the year she was born

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fun thread!

Something Old: my late grandmother''s engagement ring, sewn onto a little pillow and tucked into my bra (inbetween the girsl, lol)

Something New: my dress/jewelry/shoes, etc.

Something borrowed/something blue: my MOH''s St. Theresa''s(?) medal, which was metal with blue enamel or something on it, which I tucked into my bouquet and handed right back to her after the ceremony (had to hand right back grandmother''s e-ring as well, ha--no one trusted me with their heirlooms!

sk8rjen

Brilliant_Rock
I love how many people have incorporated their grandmas!
Old/borrowed/blue -- a hankie my mom embroidered in blue for my late grandma some 50 years ago that says "mom" on it... mom said I could keep it, but I told her since it''s borrowed, she''s getting it back!

New -- dress/veil/shoes

My necklace was given to me by Matt on our first Valentine''s Day 2 years ago and my earrings were given by him on my birthday -- since they aren''t something I purchased specifically for the wedding, I think they count as "old." I really wanted to wear "new" jewlery for the wedding to better coordinate with the outfit b/c I wear these things every day, but it means a lot to matt that I wear them, so I decided that was far more important...

jen

chickflick

Shiny_Rock
I had a silver sixpence in my shoe! I bought it on the British eBay and taped it to the insole of my wedding shoes with postal tape.
9.gif
I didn''t feel it at all and now I get to pass down that sixpence to my future daughter oir daughter-in-law. It''s dated 1953.

As for the rest of it:

Something old - my Grandma Lucy''s handkerchief, which I wrapped around the stems of my bouquet. My aunt had brought it for me and surprised me with it two days before the wedding. V. special.
Something new - the dress, shoes, etc. That one''s easy!
Something borrowed - a pearl necklace I borrowed from my mom
Something blue - blue topaz earrings my now-ILs gave me for Christmas the year before we got married

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
I''ll have a six pence! My mom got it for me, and it''s at her house so I don''t know its vintage, but I love the tradition.

Something old: carved ivory rose pendant on a velvet ribbon, from my grandmother, that was made in 1917. Might also be the something borrowed, because technically it''s my mom''s, although I''ve worn it for every prom and special event since high school, and was wearing it the night my FI and I kissed for the first time.
Something new: the dress
Something borrowed: Probably the pendant.
Something blue: my sapphire engagement ring

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
I was really odd in that I felt strongly about having a separate item for each of these things......LOL

Something old: an antique ring loaned to me by a friend
Something new: dress/veil
Something borrowed: my mom''s strand of pearls
Something blue: My really close friends (think ya-ya group!) helped me get ready for the wedding, and I had them each sign the bottom of my shoes with a blue sharpie as we got ready. It felt really personal and unique, and it was a way to further incorporate my friends into my wedding since I had only a MOH and no attendants due to small size of wedding (30 people total).

chickflick

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/1/2007 7:53:48 PM
Author: oshinbreez
Here''s a link about the sixpence in the shoe.

http://www.aluckysixpence.com/

ETA: The one I got for my daughter was bought on ebay and it was from 1979....the year she was born
Ohmigosh, I love that! I can''t believe you found one from her birth year. That makes it even more special.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results