shape
carat
color
clarity

Someone needs to buy this stone - PSA!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
See @Mamabean. Even if my comments are worthless, they can garner the attention of the true experts who's opinions are valid.

Good luck on the cushion, I am sure it will be lovely. Again, sorry if I caused you doubt. That was never the intention and despite trying to be clear about that I failed.
One of the hardest thing about giving advise about diamonds is knowing/deciding when an issue is theory or a real probability.
You could be right in theory, but the real world probability can be insignificant.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think seeing the stone in-person would tell us more. That said, here are a few of my thoughts.

capture2.jpg

1. The area in blue is the feather that prompted this conversation. My concern here is that due to placement & length that under duress the feather continues to grow and extend to the other edge of the stone creating a small chip. Perhaps setting a certain way would help alleviate potential stresses?

2. The feathers in green are interesting to me as well. Some of it depends how we interpret/visualize the clarity plot. Obviously the crown view is looking down on the stone. Consequently you would also think that when grading, the diamond would be turned over and the pavilion view is also looking down. The key part there is it's FLIPPED over.

If that's true, envision the blue dotted line as a hinge point. The pavilion would then mirror/rotate and the feather in the pavilion view would then be in near proximity to the crown feather.

See the mirrored image below to see what I am talking about. Notice how the feathers are in near alignment to each other? Even if this assumption is true they aren't running the same direction, but it creates worry they may be potentially be on top of one another.

mirror2.jpg

3. There are quite a few feathers in this stone. Also, I see that as the grade setting inclusion. Is it because of the number of feathers, or the severity of the ones I've mentioned or possibly that larger one in the middle of the pavilion?

4. Smaller feathers are around the edges that may also need to be considered when setting.

While you may be up in the air on the setting type, do you know who will likely do the work? It may be worthwhile to send this clarity plot to them and ask their opinion as well.

Recently @Rockdiamond and myself got into a debate over another SI1 stone with a knot. I was more critical them he was, and he felt I created some panic. I don't want to do that. But I think you are wise to address these concerns earlier rather than later so you can take advantage of a 30-day return, if needed.

In addition to David (rockdiamond), I'd be interested to hear some other opinions and thoughts as well. @rockysalamander @farrahlyn @Karl_K

Thank you for including me in the discussion!
Here's what we can learn about specific inclusions, based on looking at the GIA plot.
ZERO- NADA- NOTHING- BUBKAS

It is a total waste of time trying to figure out visual, or durability concerns ( which there are only a minuscule number of valid durability concerns on most commercially available diamonds) based on a two-dimensional plot. Even if it was 3d, it still would not answer the question.....

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sorry @Mamabean, it was not my intention to worry you. But I think it's good protocol to have DK take a look. It may make more sense to do a bezel set like that VC setting I posted earlier that you loved.

This doesn't have to be a negative. Rather just know what you are getting into so you can make sure the price is right for the risk and you are able to work with the obstacles. Perception is everything. This could be a great opportunity. Obviously others let the worry/concern rob them of the opportunity that is now in your hands. :cool2:
I asked your opinion sledge so no worries about making me nervous. I do a good job by myself. I appreciate your opinion and your willingness to share them.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
See @Mamabean. Even if my comments are worthless, they can garner the attention of the true experts who's opinions are valid.

Good luck on the cushion, I am sure it will be lovely. Again, sorry if I caused you doubt. That was never the intention and despite trying to be clear about that I failed.
@sledge I asked you for your opinion and you gave it. It’s not worthless to me. With your new family beginning you took the time to help me and I appreciate it..

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well...It’s eye clean! I just emailed David with the link to the diamond. I have forty-eight hours before they let it go.
@mrs-b Do you ask David to send you an insured label to send to him. Would I need to get my insurance company to insure just the stone while setting? Usually I get a diamond and setting in the same place.
I plan on getting it here first..seeing how small it is compared to my MRB and set it in a beefy halo..

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
David said he has no problem with setting it. He just advised that I look at it because it’s hard to see how it performs unless I actually have it and see it. He also said to make sure there’s a return policy..which I told him Blue Nile does. I’m leaning towards this one without the emerald cuts with no air line. What do you think about square emerald cuts instead or rectangular..or just plain?
It also depends on how much David will charge for the setting. If it’s too pricey I could go up in size or clarity and get a simpler design..
I’m going to sleep on it and call to purchase in the morning.
upload_2019-1-9_16-57-43.jpeg

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I changed my mind about the setting again but I won’t post it until it’s done! First the purchase tomorrow!

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Coming late to the party and I think you have good advise.

On the inclusion plot, I think where we have no reliable third-party eyes to help (and we are helping others spend money), its fair for us to make maximum use of the inclusion plot. We may err on the side of caution sometimes, and thus eliminate stones unnecessarily, but we PS members are doing the best we can with the information at hand.

When we can rely upon the vendor to act as "our" eyes, I weigh the plot less heavily in some ways. I will use it to generate questions for the reliable observer for me. If I can be the observer...even better. I know what I expect out of a diamond and what I can or cannot love.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
@sledge - I didn't mean to diss you.
To give a bit more detail on using the plot to determine how a stone looks- and why it doesn't work: Based on placement, imperfections can either reflect and multiply, or completely disappear on all but one orientation. An example might be a feather that you can only see looking through the pavilion.
Now here's the even more strange part- if the exact same feather was oriented differently in the stone it could be a massive visual light blocker through the table- looking like a huge blob. SAME size!
Both will look the same on the plot.

I totally get the desire to use the plot- but my experience doing so is a crap shoot on VS2 and lower stones.

BTW- The plot IS useful if one is looking at the diamond in person and wants to use identifying factors.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just purchased it! It will ship on the 17th to my local FedEx. It will get there the next day, Friday the 18th! :appl:The only problem is I’m meeting my son and family on Saturday in Maryland and will be leaving on that Friday..so it will be sitting in the FedEx until I can pick it up on the Monday following!

chanieish

Rough_Rock
Premium
I just purchased it! It will ship on the 17th to my local FedEx. It will get there the next day, Friday the 18th! :appl:The only problem is I’m meeting my son and family on Saturday in Maryland and will be leaving on that Friday..so it will be sitting in the FedEx until I can pick it up on the Monday following!

:appl::dance::love: Yayyyy! So happy for you! Also cannot wait for your photos!! Will it come loose or set? Any hints on what your new setting will be? :)

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Can’t wait for pictures!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Congratulations - what a wonderful purchase!

And I cannot WAIT to see it!! Good luck on having the patience you'll need to get to the 17th!!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
:appl::dance::love: Yayyyy! So happy for you! Also cannot wait for your photos!! Will it come loose or set? Any hints on what your new setting will be? :)
Thank you! Yes..I struggled but came up with it..It will be a diamond halo with tucked in shoulders with a diamond tucked in it and a little swag design underneath..I drew on inspiration pics for David Klass and we’ll see what the cad will look like. I could get it Friday but I’m leaving early for Maryland and won’t be back until Sunday..so I’ll be anxious all weekend until I can pick it up on Monday!

Last edited:

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you! Do I insure the diamond before sending and reinsure when it’s set? It seems confusing..I thought maybe he would send a prepaid insured label and it’s insured by him until I insure it to be sent back to me.. I have no idea how that works.

My experience. YMMV.
  • Paid for BGD stone and had Lesley keep in their vault until DK required it.
  • A day or so before the stone shipped, I insured the stone only with JM.
  • BGD mailed to DK under BGD insured label.
  • DK set stone and mailed to me under DK insured label.
  • I called JM and adjusted my policy to include setting and stone, and updated the value based on the appraisal that DK included.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
My experience. YMMV.
  • I called JM and adjusted my policy to include setting and stone, and updated the value based on the appraisal that DK included.
Thank you @sledge! That was what I was going to do but I have to see it before I send it to be set. I have to make sure it’s good to my eyes and I don’t see anything wonky. David said he will mail me an insured label and he insures it while being set. He’ll ship the completed ring back to me insured. Once I get it I’ll call my insurance company and add it to my policy.

tr0janman

Rough_Rock
My experience. YMMV.

@sledge Who are DK and JM? I figured out that BGD is brian gavin diamond. Are DK and JM the recommended setting/insurance policy for rings?

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@sledge Who are DK and JM? I figured out that BGD is brian gavin diamond. Are DK and JM the recommended setting/insurance policy for rings?

DK = David Klass in Los Angeles
JM = Jewelers Mutual

DK did a custom setting for my fiancee. Superb work. Fair prices. Highly recommend.

JM has been the only insurer I've used. I like separate from home and auto policies. Stupid easy to work with and fair prices to boot. Others exist but JM has a good rep on here and many of the vendors work with them as well making super easy to activate the policy.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @sledge! That was what I was going to do but I have to see it before I send it to be set. I have to make sure it’s good to my eyes and I don’t see anything wonky. David said he will mail me an insured label and he insures it while being set. He’ll ship the completed ring back to me insured. Once I get it I’ll call my insurance company and add it to my policy.

You're welcome. Thanks for sharing info 9n how DK insures. Not everyone insures while setting. Excited for you. :cool2:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
You're welcome. Thanks for sharing info 9n how DK insures. Not everyone insures while setting. Excited for you. :cool2:
:appl:Thank you!

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Mamabean I am so excited to see this stone! Wowza! I think I recall from another thread that you don’t have 10 other diamond rings? Maybe only one other? This must be a big deal! Exciting! (Ok even if you have 10 others it’s srill exciting)

Can’t wait to see!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Mamabean I am so excited to see this stone! Wowza! I think I recall from another thread that you don’t have 10 other diamond rings? Maybe only one other? This must be a big deal! Exciting! (Ok even if you have 10 others it’s srill exciting)

Can’t wait to see!
I have one engagement ring! I have a lot of diamond bands but not another engagement ring! I am not through yet though! My husband told me to get a better quality one but I explained that if I need a loupe to see the inclusions and it sparkles like mad it’s good enough for me. My main engagement ring is a very nice quality so I don’t want or need to blow all my mad money in one fell swoop. I also have a few projects in the works. This was a big birthday year for me! :shifty:

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
24F9C126-1A1E-4EF0-B71E-1D9DF0971D13.png
I have one engagement ring! I have a lot of diamond bands but not another engagement ring! I am not through yet though! My husband told me to get a better quality one but I explained that if I need a loupe to see the inclusions and it sparkles like mad it’s good enough for me. My main engagement ring is a very nice quality so I don’t want or need to blow all my mad money in one fell swoop. I also have a few projects in the works. This was a big birthday year for me! :shifty:

Happy birthday!!! Which decade, if you don’t mind sharing?

Ahhhh I can’t wait to see your cushion! Hope it’s a beauty! I love this setting by sin city finds, showcased by xoxothebijouxbox.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
24F9C126-1A1E-4EF0-B71E-1D9DF0971D13.png

Happy birthday!!! Which decade, if you don’t mind sharing?

Ahhhh I can’t wait to see your cushion! Hope it’s a beauty! I love this setting by sin city finds, showcased by xoxothebijouxbox.
Thank you! Sixth..:eek2:
That’s a gorgeous setting! I need to beef up my cushion because it’s smaller than my engagement ring diamond..

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes..It’s being shipped tomorrow overnight..I can pick it up on Friday! I’m very excited! It takes so long from purchase to delivery because they don’t have the diamonds in-house so it has to be shipped to them and then they process it and ship to me..I’m dying here! I have the setting all worked out with David Klass..I’m just going to give it a good look over and confirm it’s eye clean TO ME and then ask David to email me an insured shipping label!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I’ve decided to not go crazy..I’m still going to do the tucked in shoulders with a diamond tucked at the top..and a basic..the kind you see a lot of..halo that’s bezeled and milgrained following the shape of the cushion. The underside will be a simple swag design that I saw on an antique fence. It’s going to be pretty normal but I won’t get tired of it this way. I really wanted the square emerald cuts on the sides of the halo but I think it will be too much for me. I just want it to be beefed up because I want it bigger than the diamond I have now..and this diamond is smaller.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Would you believe my car has some computer malfunction issue and I won’t have it tomorrow to pick up the cushion?! I guess I’ll have to rent a car...sigh

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
Would you believe my car has some computer malfunction issue and I won’t have it tomorrow to pick up the cushion?! I guess I’ll have to rent a car...sigh

Oh no @Mamabean ... that is something that would happen to me! I would take a taxi or rent a car, lol.

Sorry to hear you have this obstacle!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh no @Mamabean ... that is something that would happen to me! I would take a taxi or rent a car, lol.

Sorry to hear you have this obstacle!
If I have to take Rent a Wreck I will! :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results