clarity

someone here buy this emerald

scouty

Brilliant_Rock
Right!!! It is sooo glorious!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks like a green beryl. Maybe it’s just his photo, but it’s extremely pale in color. I would even call it light toned.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s a pretty stone, but very pale. I have a green beryl that looks identical. I wonder if he could show a photo of it with a Chelsea filter indicating the presence of chromium.

To be honest, it really doesn’t have any of the qualities that makes emerald so revered. You can find a tourmaline that color. I apologize for my brutal honesty

scouty

Brilliant_Rock
It’s a pretty stone, but very pale. I have a green beryl that looks identical. I wonder if he could show a photo of it with a Chelsea filter indicating the presence of chromium.

To be honest, it really doesn’t have any of the qualities that makes emerald so revered. You can find a tourmaline that color. I apologize for my brutal honesty
That would be interesting to see. If it does have chromium do you think it's more of a green beryl and not a true emerald due to the color in this case? I'm still learning about emeralds!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That would be interesting to see. If it does have chromium do you think it's more of a green beryl and not a true emerald due to the color in this case? I'm still learning about emeralds!

Here’s an example of a stone Jeff White labeled green beryl in his gallery. It looks pretty much like the aforementioned stone.

While it could be true emerald, it should be priced accordingly. Much finer emerald can be $3k/ct and up for similar size stones, and this is nearly $2300/ct. I know there’s a surcharge for the faceting, but I think it’s still too expensive for that quality imo. Emeralds, like ruby, are all about color, not sparkle or cutting. That being said, it’s still a pretty stone and maybe his video and photos just don’t do it justice. :confused:

83206E8C-8EB3-47C3-9691-7BE389F7B259.jpeg

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it’s gorgeous

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is a very pretty stone, but I guess my point is, if you want an emerald, I would pay for stones that have the qualities that emeralds are revered for, like their beautiful sheen, and metallic slightly bluish green color. Even medium toned emeralds can have these qualities. I know it’s weird to say this, but I don’t expect an emerald to sparkle and look like a tourmaline, just like I don’t expect a Paraiba to look like an aquamarine or a ruby to look like a garnet. That’s not dissing aquas, tourmaline or garnet, as I love those stones too. However, emeralds, like rubies and Paraiba have qualities one should look for. They don’t have to be top gem material either.

Again, maybe this stone is just notoriously difficult to properly capture on film or video????

It certainly would be beautiful set in a piece of jewelry, but if one loves that color, luster and sparkle, tourmaline is a fabulous option.

Sungura

Brilliant_Rock
:lickout: To

I agree with TL here. It’s a beautiful color but it is pale and possibly not glowy. I’m headed to visit family in Colombia next week and was hoping to look at some of the these cleaner, paler gems in hopes of finding a large one that could use a recut. I’m lucky to have family that work in the emerald district. In general Colombians don’t value the lighter stones and I think they are really pretty.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:lickout: To

I agree with TL here. It’s a beautiful color but it is pale and possibly not glowy. I’m headed to visit family in Colombia next week and was hoping to look at some of the these cleaner, paler gems in hopes of finding a large one that could use a recut. I’m lucky to have family that work in the emerald district. In general Colombians don’t value the lighter stones and I think they are really pretty.
One of my best friends is Colombian American and she reveres emeralds. She has a tiny one, I guess it to be 30 points, but does the green color stand out!!! That’s the thing about vivid color, you don’t need a huge stone to notice it. I always wear my emerald when I see her because she loves it so.

Nosean

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I love this quality of emerald. Bright, glowing and a super clarity.

Check Ron Ringsrud fantastic book about emeralds. Very helpful.

Is the stone TL posted from Nigeria? Strong zoning (barcode) typical for Emeralds from Torrington and Nigeria.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t know where that green beryl is from. Jeff didn’t call it an emerald. It’s in his gallery.

I have that book you mentioned. It is a great book.

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

TL, would a stone be considered an emerald if any amount of chromium is present? Or is there a certain threshold it has to reach before it qualifies as an emerald? Apologies if it’s an ignorant question.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Finewater gem looks more like an aquamarine to me, green toned, than an emerald. Green beryl, emerald, aquamarine?
I think with any gem you have to buy the gem, not the label.
It’s very beautiful, great clarity and cut but if I was buying an “emerald” that gem wouldn’t be my choice.

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
411ECAE7-1D2A-4AA5-8BF5-7CCB4D49F829.jpeg
TL, would a stone be considered an emerald if any amount of chromium is present? Or is there a certain threshold it has to reach before it qualifies as an emerald? Apologies if it’s an ignorant question.

I bought one of Jeff’s other vanadium beryls a few years ago:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/jeff-white-vanadium-beryl.213096/

At the time, we had some discussion about what made an emerald vs a green beryl, but it’s too long ago for me to remember much, and I can’t find the emails. IIRC, he said that some vendors call it an emerald if it’s coloured by chromium only, and some use the term “emerald” more loosely. I do know greens are a bi*#+ to photograph. Jeff sold another one last year that he called chrome/vanadium beryl (attached photo).

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s a really good question. I’ll link a GIA article, but I think if there’s no chromium, it shouldn’t be an emerald.

https://www.gia.edu/emerald-description

It’s kind of like calling a pink sapphire a “ruby.”

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
411ECAE7-1D2A-4AA5-8BF5-7CCB4D49F829.jpeg

I bought one of Jeff’s other vanadium beryls a few years ago:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/jeff-white-vanadium-beryl.213096/

At the time, we had some discussion about what made an emerald vs a green beryl, but it’s too long ago for me to remember much, and I can’t find the emails. IIRC, he said that some vendors call it an emerald if it’s coloured by chromium only, and some use the term “emerald” more loosely. I do know greens are a bi*#+ to photograph. Jeff sold another one last year that he called chrome/vanadium beryl (attached photo).

Thank you, and your stone is gorgeous. I love the slightly bluish component it has.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think with any gem you have to buy the gem, not the label.

The problem is that a label can mean differences in $$$$$$. A pink sapphire can be labeled as a “ruby”
and sold for thousands more per carat. The same goes for padparadchas, Paraiba, and of course emerald. There is sometimes ambiguity with certain stones, which is why education on colored gems is important, and reputable lab reports of course.

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That’s a really good question. I’ll link a GIA article, but I think if there’s no chromium, it shouldn’t be an emerald.

https://www.gia.edu/emerald-description

It’s kind of like calling a pink sapphire a “ruby.”

Thanks for the link! Wonder if the GIA, or another reputable lab would actually consider it an emerald.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The problem is that a label can mean differences in $$$$$$. A pink sapphire can be labeled as a “ruby”
and sold for thousands more per carat. The same goes for padparadchas, Paraiba, and of course emerald. There is sometimes ambiguity with certain stones, which is why education on colored gems is important, and reputable lab reports of course.
Of course reputable lab certificates are necessary but the point I’m trying to make is is that if a “labeled” emerald doesnt look like an emerald to you, why pay the “emerald” premium ditto pink sapphires and rubies, especially rubies seeing as the premium is so great.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
I also think that it's absolutely gorgeous but I agree with other posters in that it shouldn't be labeled "emerald" and therefore the price is way overvalued.
I do think its stunning though and would be beautiful and icy in white gold!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of course reputable lab certificates are necessary but the point I’m trying to make is is that if a “labeled” emerald doesnt look like an emerald to you, why pay the “emerald” premium ditto pink sapphires and rubies, especially rubies seeing as the premium is so great.
Got it, I misunderstood your comment. I agree.

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Agree with @TL. It's a pretty stone, but not an Emerald. It appears to be nicely saturated, but the tone is too light. And, IMO, it almost has too much blue to be called an Emerald. It's a nice blue/green beryl. It does remind me of vanadium beryls, which are also quite pretty.

IMO emeralds should have at least a medium tone with about a 85/15 90/10 mix of green/blue, and should also possess the "glow." This stone is about the lightest tone that I would call an "Emerald" (excuse the music. I saw this on GemRockAuctions a few days ago and thought it was a good example of a medium-toned emerald. It's a GIA F1 (light oil) Columbian Emerald):

And as already mentioned, the presence of chromium alone does not make a beryl an emerald. Or at least, it doesn't make a stone a good example of an emerald. Very similar to paraiba tourmalines. There's tons of tourmalines on the internet listed as "paraibas" simply because they possess appreciable levels of copper and manganese, but if they don't have the paraiba glow, then, IMO, they are just overpriced blue-green tourmalines.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@TreeScientist - that does look like a light emerald.

This 4.5 ct stone was sold to me by technofacet as a vanadium beryl. I never checked it with a Chelsea filter, but even if it had chromium, I would not consider this an emerald even though it’s green beryl. I just wanted to post for comparison. To me, it’s more like a sea foam green aqua or tourmaline. It has no enhancement and is very clean.

IMG_5875.JPG

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
IMO emeralds should have at least a medium tone with about a 85/15 90/10 mix of green/blue, and should also possess the "glow." This stone is about the lightest tone that I would call an "Emerald" (excuse the music. I saw this on GemRockAuctions a few days ago and thought it was a good example of a medium-toned emerald. It's a GIA F1 (light oil) Columbian Emerald):

I think this is the listing for the oval? Pretty.

https://www.gemrockauctions.com/auc...ombian-emerald-aaa-color-glowing-green-911299

I am no expert but the tone looks medium light.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It will be interesting to see what it eventually sells for. Is there a reserve? I don’t see one. I’m glad GIA considers it an emerald. Now look at that stone and compare it to my green beryl I posted above. There is clearly a stark difference in regular green beryl and true emerald.

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think this is the listing for the oval? Pretty.

https://www.gemrockauctions.com/auc...ombian-emerald-aaa-color-glowing-green-911299

I am no expert but the tone looks medium light.

Yep, that's the one! I'm also interested to see what it eventually sells for. Anyone want to play a "Price is Right" game to call the winning bet?* :mrgreen2: Closest one to the final bet without going over wins bragging rights haha. I'll say $8000

Yes @T L, there's a huge difference between this stone and the "Emerald" in the OP. The oval is a true emerald, albeit towards the lighter tonal end of emerald (medium bluish-green). The radiant is a minty beryl.

*I have no interest in bidding on it. Just thought it was a pretty Emerald so I saved the video a few days ago.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No way $8k. If you look through their feedback, they’ve sold substantial size emeralds, albeit, not high quality, for hundreds of dollars. I say $1200 tops since this one has less clarity enhancement than the others.

I meant to compare it to my vanadium beryl stone I showed above, as I don’t know what Finewater’s stone looks like in person. It has a Colombian lab report calling it emerald, but I would defer to GIA or AGL. He also said it glows red under a Chelsea filter, but as you said, the presence of chromium alone does not make a stone an emerald. If his photos and video are accurate, I would say it’s not an emerald, but I don’t know if the images are accurate. That being said, I’m sure someone will buy it and make it into a lovely piece of jewelry.

If anything, I’m glad this thread became educational in determining the nuances between emerald and other green beryl.

Last edited:

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
No way $8k. If you look through their feedback, they’ve sold substantial size emeralds, albeit, not high quality, for hundreds of dollars. I say $1200 tops since this one has less clarity enhancement than the others.

I meant to compare it to my stone, as I don’t know what Finewater’s stone looks like in person. It has a Colombian lab report calling it emerald, but I would defer to GIA or AGL. He also said it glows red under a Chelsea filter, but as you said, the presence of chromium alone does not make a stone an emerald. If his photos and video is accurate, I would say it’s not an emerald, but I don’t know if the images are accurate. That being said, I’m sure someone will buy it and make it into a lovely piece of jewelry.

If anything, I’m glad this thread became educational in determining the nuances between emerald and other green beryl.

If it goes for $1200, I'll buy it haha. That vendor has sold a few emeralds for cheap, but they've been really heavily included (almost opaque) and F2 or F3 on the enhancement scale. Perhaps $8k is high, but it will go for a few thousand I'm sure.

The OP stone is certainly lovely. No doubt about it. But as you and @Bron357 said, if you're going to be paying the premium for the Emerald name, it better have the Emerald look. Ditto all of the other named CS that carry a premium: Ruby, paraiba, pad sapphire, etc. Just because a lab assigns one of these names to a particular stone does not make the stone a good example of the variety. The market is glutted with "Pads" that are little more than brown sapphires with a hint of pink. Does a cert that says "pad" make a stone worth a rediculous premium if it doesn't look like a pad?

Anyway, enough of that rant. I agree that it's good to have an educational thread on the qualities that define these named gems (we should start a thread on pads and get the battle gear ready haha). One take-away from this thread, that is discussed in many books on beryls, is the importance of an Emerald's "jardin." Blue-green beryl that is too clean won't possess the glow, and will look more like tourmaline or mint garnet. A "fine" emerald walks the line between too clean and overly included, a middle ground between limpid transparency and opaque translucency.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results