carat
color
clarity

Somebody's Gotta Buy This Stone!

IcePhoenix

Shiny_Rock
5a99782d-1809-4ff7-a22f-4416bde0a12f.jpg

51c61af3-ffa9-49a4-89a1-f163d1b2924d.jpg

Spinel with a very interesting color (imo), could be (a lot) darker in real life, I don't know though:think:
Reserve price maybe around 1000 or 1500$ on Catawiki

voce

Ideal_Rock
5a99782d-1809-4ff7-a22f-4416bde0a12f.jpg

51c61af3-ffa9-49a4-89a1-f163d1b2924d.jpg

Spinel with a very interesting color (imo), could be (a lot) darker in real life, I don't know though:think:
Reserve price maybe around 1000 or 1500$ on Catawiki
Judging by those two pics, the stone would be too dark for me. I don't expect the lab photo to get the tone correct, but the photo of the gem in tweezers looks like it was taken under very bright light, and the stone looks dark on the lab report. The amount of purple also makes it not worth the $1000 reserve price to me personally. I mean, I've bought an overly dark, pure red spinel around the same size for $180 on Ebay (learner stone), so you can probably do better.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That spinel is a dead ringer for rhodolite.

IcePhoenix

Shiny_Rock
Judging by those two pics, the stone would be too dark for me. I don't expect the lab photo to get the tone correct, but the photo of the gem in tweezers looks like it was taken under very bright light, and the stone looks dark on the lab report. The amount of purple also makes it not worth the $1000 reserve price to me personally. I mean, I've bought an overly dark, pure red spinel around the same size for $180 on Ebay (learner stone), so you can probably do better.

Yes, I thought it was going to be way too dark, but how cool would that be if it had the colour of the well lit photo always?

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you! I’m thinking of trying faceting soon and wasn’t sure where to look for rough. He has a lot of nice pieces!

I am going to a lapidary workshop this Saturday and asked him if he had roughs for beginners. He said if I could give him a budget, he’d make a parcel. ;)2 Lots of lapidaries use him.

Here’s a pic of the rough I bought for my friend earlier: E1805A28-8D57-481F-869F-67E71CA97E4B.jpeg

Last edited:

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am going to a lapidary workshop this Saturday and asked him if he had roughs for beginners. He said if I could give him a budget, he’d make a parcel. ;)2 Lots of lapidaries use him.

Here’s a pic of the rough I bought for my friend earlier: E1805A28-8D57-481F-869F-67E71CA97E4B.jpeg
The rough you bought is gorgeous! Thanks for the tip on asking for beginners rough. I would love to see what you create at your lapidary class. Maybe there could be a show and tell thread for CS hobbyists gem cutters =)2.

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you! I’m thinking of trying faceting soon and wasn’t sure where to look for rough. He has a lot of nice pieces!
Hah! You’re not alone - its on my list of “next year” skils to acquire. Too busy this year, with enough projects in the works. In the mean time, I’m slowly acquiring all the doodads and learning what rough to avoid..

hwm

Rough_Rock
I am the one who got this ring :geek2:. It took quite a while to get it shipped to asia though...
The stone is lovely but is quite included and show a chip/crack from the pavilion all the way to the table, should I worry about its durability?
Anyway I will keep the ring regardless since the color match with my wife earrings very well, just thinking if I should get it unmount and re-polish
01.jpg 02.jpg 03.jpg 04.jpg 05.jpg

voce

Ideal_Rock
@hwm, yes, I would worry about durability. I hope your wife is careful with wearing jewelry!

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am the one who got this ring :geek2:. It took quite a while to get it shipped to asia though...
The stone is lovely but is quite included and show a chip/crack from the pavilion all the way to the table, should I worry about its durability?
Anyway I will keep the ring regardless since the color match with my wife earrings very well, just thinking if I should get it unmount and re-polish
01.jpg 02.jpg 03.jpg 04.jpg 05.jpg
I wouldn’t be very happy about the chip/crack personally. Was it disclosed in the original listing?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It would take more than a repolish to fix that. It would have to be refaceted to remove it and the size loss and carat weight loss is most likely not worth it.

hwm

Rough_Rock
Thanks all for your reply!
@voce If the stone cannot be fixed I guess I wont tell my wife about the crack at all otherwise she would be mind bugged and inspect the ring everyday
@2Neezers No the crack is not disclosed in the listing (but the stone is discounted). To be honest I am not happy with it either but my wife like the ring a lot so I decided to keep it. We have been looking for a Purplish-Red ruby white gold ring and a Red-Red ruby/spinel yellow gold ring for a while already so at least we partially accomplished one of the missions..
@chrono Thanks for the advice! Guess I have to try my luck and see how long the stone can last then. I wish the ring can last for at least few years as an occasionally ring...

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous! I saw that on Etsy, but does it come with an origin report @distracts?

I believe only the one I ended up getting, the most expensive one (wah! I tried so hard to like the others most!), came with an origin report. Iirc the supplier doesn’t get them so Yvonne has to. I would think anyone interested in buying could have one added. I would, if I were buying it, but I think many buyers don’t care. The two most expensive ones she has right now have them, a big cab and a 2 ct cushion that looks significantly more intensely colored and glowy than mine.

polarisfire

Rough_Rock
A4729A34-0EB2-462F-9E5D-EDCEEAC2195F.jpeg
2782AD1A-B1BC-46B3-A272-625C814326F1.jpeg

I have pics of that one! It was one I was deciding between when I bought my paraiba.

Oof I have my eye on that one. Sigh it is lovely.
If I may pick your brain, what made you pass on it?

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oof I have my eye on that one. Sigh it is lovely.
If I may pick your brain, what made you pass on it?

Well, to put it bluntly, the one I bought was $16k gem. I’m not sure how fair it is to compare them for someone else because unless your budget is a similar amount, your expectations and criteria are going to be totally different than mine. When the price is $16k for 2 cts vs $2.3k for 3 cts, if the expensive stone isn’t noticeably better, something has gone wrong. (The one I got is the other stone in the first pic.)

The marquise is a large size, gorgeous color, absolutely great bang for the buck. Glowier than it looks in the first pic (pics taken through gem boxes in unflattering lighting are, shockingly, unflattering - it never looked that “flat” out of the gem box, which is why I took it out again to get a hand shot, lol) which I think you can see in the hand shot - but not as glowy as the one I got, which makes sense given the price difference. It was more saturated than the one I got. I didn’t notice the inclusions at all irl - the Etsy pics make them look more noticeable than I found them to be. If I had gotten this one I would have done an onyx or black enamel halo because it’s just screaming out for something like that imo... surround the rich color with even more richness. It looked like a drop of tropical ocean on my finger.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results