color
clarity

Somebody's Gotta Buy This Stone!

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Absolutely perfect, Kenny! :love: :love: :wavey:

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock
An Ebay seller with a good reputation is offering what may be a good deal on a Burma ruby, 1.44 carats, unheated, halo setting, certificate to be sent:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370864085540

The trouble is, it is currently illegal to import Burmese rubies into the U.S.
If $4899.99 is as attractive a price as I think it is, someone on the forum should take a serious look!
Will try to post a picture as well.

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock
The Ebay ruby:
__kgrhqzhjcofh_t_uj_obr9qedlg6w__60_3_0.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not sure that seller is held in high regard here; I believe in the past, there were some quite negative reviews of them, and it was only afterwards that people realized that they had confused them with the more reputable seller, "Starruby." I would suggest buyer beware on that seller, unless someone can tell us otherwise from their first hand experience. Sorry to rain, boe. :(sad

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
boerumbiddy|1376142341|3500220 said:
An Ebay seller with a good reputation is offering what may be a good deal on a Burma ruby, 1.44 carats, unheated, halo setting, certificate to be sent:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370864085540

The trouble is, it is currently illegal to import Burmese rubies into the U.S.
If $4899.99 is as attractive a price as I think it is, someone on the forum should take a serious look!
Will try to post a picture as well.
There are too many red flags:
1. 5% restocking fee which is $250
2. Full payment required before vendor will send it to GIA.
3. Doesn't look very saturated.

The sun is shining

Shiny_Rock
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300948134613&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

Although there are a few things which bug me... The cert is not GIA as stated, but a valuation from a GIA gemologist, and to me the stone seems purple. (anyone else see that too? The seller says it is red and makes note of the cert. Ugh.)

Having said that, if a good return option is negotiated, it could be a pretty good buy (and I hope someone buys it to stop me from being able to do so... damn inquisitive nature).

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The sun is shining|1376547784|3503543 said:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300948134613&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

Although there are a few things which bug me... The cert is not GIA as stated, but a valuation from a GIA gemologist, and to me the stone seems purple. (anyone else see that too? The seller says it is red and makes note of the cert. Ugh.)

Having said that, if a good return option is negotiated, it could be a pretty good buy (and I hope someone buys it to stop me from being able to do so... damn inquisitive nature).

Anyone can say they're a GIA gemologist. Appraisals can be forged, and GIA doesn't "certify" anything. They just issue reports stating the physical aspects of the gem in question.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Shining,
There are many things that bother me about that eBay listing:
1. It does NOT have a GIA lab memo. That is an appraisal paperwork issued by someone who took and passed the GIA gemmology exams.
2. There is nothing on treatment, the type or level.
3. The stone is shallow as heck and has a large window.
4. The stone pictured looks nothing like the red one photographed in the appraisal. It looks very pinkish purple without any red. :confused: There is always the possibility that that paperwork is not for that particular stone.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
It also looks fishy that there aren't any closeup photos of it. I know, inexperienced seller, etc., but who knows if that is really the case? (Besides, the person can't spell basic English. :nono: ) It does look quite purple, not like the photo on the document. I figure with gems or houses online, if they don't show you detail, it's because they don't want you to see it.

Looks like one of those "too good to be true" bargains to me. Save your money for a better one. How's that to help you lose interest? 8-)

--- Laurie

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks to all who sent along the caveats. As usual, I have learned a lot. I would not have dreamed of buying it myself, because of the legality issue. And I did wonder about the delayed "certification." But some of the other issues had not jumped out at me.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1377122411|3507530 said:
TL|1377115882|3507469 said:

Umm, yeah, TL, I'll get right on that :roll: :praise:

All kidding aside, I was surprised they called that a Merelani Mint...

I think some people might feel it's a little too light in tone to be called tsavorite??? Perhaps that's why. Very beautiful stone, I love the cutting, and color, no matter what it is (merelani or tsavorite).

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1377128165|3507625 said:
minousbijoux|1377122411|3507530 said:
TL|1377115882|3507469 said:

Umm, yeah, TL, I'll get right on that :roll: :praise:

All kidding aside, I was surprised they called that a Merelani Mint...

I think some people might feel it's a little too light in tone to be called tsavorite??? Perhaps that's why. Very beautiful stone, I love the cutting, and color, no matter what it is (merelani or tsavorite).

Right there with you on that - if they want to call it a lump of coal, fine with me...

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful green garnet....if only the price has one less zero behind it. :lol: I like that Prima is honest enough to call it a Meralani mint rather than a tsavorite, which will have a deeper tone. Cutting is nice as is the hint of blue undertone.

ohlala

Rough_Rock
PinkyPie|1374091261|3484940 said:
PLEASE put me out of my misery. 0.24 Fancy Deep Orangy Pink diamond that is so gorgeous! (Kinda have a thing for those orangy pinks)
http://www.fancydiamonds.net/view_diamonds/12640.htm#.Ueb2bL3D_Fo

looks like someone bought this! :love: wish i could see other shots of it!! :bigsmile:

wonder how much it was...very pretty...but in terms of carat weight it seems small. it seems though...that diamonds might be heavier than some gemstones as i've seen some gemstones that carat weight is 6ct but is no bigger than a 1ct diamond. ::)

The sun is shining

Shiny_Rock
Chrono|1376584383|3503781 said:
Shining,
There are many things that bother me about that eBay listing:
1. It does NOT have a GIA lab memo. That is an appraisal paperwork issued by someone who took and passed the GIA gemmology exams.
2. There is nothing on treatment, the type or level.
3. The stone is shallow as heck and has a large window.
4. The stone pictured looks nothing like the red one photographed in the appraisal. It looks very pinkish purple without any red. :confused: There is always the possibility that that paperwork is not for that particular stone.

They were precisely my issues (except the shallow part, I hadn't noticed that!) and I had considered questioning the seller but after his first response I realised I couldn't be bothered. At any rate, I have another stone on my radar which seems to have made me put my blinkers on. It makes me quite happy when something can so easily be put in the past!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MakingTheGrade|1377695381|3511267 said:
Seriously, someone buy this and post pictures!

http://www.litnon.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=9677

2.41 ct, AGL unheated, blue sapphire in a precision cut modified cushion at a price that's affordable by mere mortals? YES PLEASE

This is too funny, because I *believe* this one has already been posted here once - and if not here, then another group that is frequented by many from here! In other words, many of us agree with you MTG! :bigsmile:

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
And... it sold. No, not me.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lady_Disdain|1377796641|3511958 said:
And... it sold. No, not me.

I was all excited for Michael when I saw this Lady D, but it doesn't appear to be sold? :confused:

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sorry, I meant the Mahenge. I was too busy drooling over it and forgot about the sapphire.

But if anyone has a couple grands to spare, that sapphire would console me quite nicely.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lady_Disdain|1377799420|3511990 said:
Sorry, I meant the Mahenge. I was too busy drooling over it and forgot about the sapphire.

But if anyone has a couple grands to spare, that sapphire would console me quite nicely.

Gotcha!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, remember this one? Its come back around for sale again - jump quickly!

minousbijoux|1369374305|3452921 said:
I freely admit that I've never met a well cut, grossular garnet of excellent saturation that I did not want to buy - from medium dark Tsavorites all the way to light toned Merelani mint garnets. But still,this stone is lovely!

Prices of tsavs are escalating as we've heard. This one, just under the 2 carat mark, appears to be medium toned with excellent (vivid?) saturation. It is precision cut and its selling for just about $350/ct. Look around - I don't know where one can find a 2 ct, precision cut tsav with close to vivid saturation for under $400/ct. Check out going prices - Jeff Davies has a medium dark with excellent saturation for $1,000+/ct! And Jeff has good prices!

Here's where to find it: http://loupetroop.com/listings/loose-stones-colored-gemstone/bright-green-tsavorite-garnet-1-dot-94-ct-finewater-gems Fwiw, the new owner is in a tough situation and needs to sell - otherwise, I really doubt it would be here. But hey, we get to ogle it again!

5-23-13_fc_2ct_tsav_0.jpg

ChelseaM

Rough_Rock
The tsav sold the first day! Thought you ladies would want to know.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results