shape
carat
color
clarity

Somebody's Gotta Buy This Stone!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
YT: If you are interested in a red spinel, then I would seriously consider buying the amethyst from Jeff Davies. Why? Because you can treat it as a test stone to see how accurate his colors are. If you feel his stones are accurately represented, then you might consider working with him to find an excellent red spinel. He seems to frequently have what look to be good Burmese spinels, but I don't know for sure, having not bought from him. There are mixed reviews with some saying his stones are not as vibrant or are darker in real life, but I know people who've worked diligently with him for him to find them precisely what they want. His location in Thailand will potentially give you a leg up on Southeast Asian stones.

Hopefully, others who've bought from him, either good or returned stones, will provide you some feedback.

D

Deactivated member 42515

minousbijoux said:
YT: If you are interested in a red spinel, then I would seriously consider buying the amethyst from Jeff Davies. Why? Because you can treat it as a test stone to see how accurate his colors are. If you feel his stones are accurately represented, then you might consider working with him to find an excellent red spinel. He seems to frequently have what look to be good Burmese spinels, but I don't know for sure, having not bought from him. There are mixed reviews with some saying his stones are not as vibrant or are darker in real life, but I know people who've worked diligently with him for him to find them precisely what they want. His location in Thailand will potentially give you a leg up on Southeast Asian stones.

Hopefully, others who've bought from him, either good or returned stones, will provide you some feedback.
I actually was going to buy the amethyst. I even made him an offer but I showed DH right before but he didn't like it. He wanted me to pick an anniversary stone but he didn't like the trillion. Sad...

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So what about contacting Pregcurious's vendor, Bruce Bridges?

ETA: sorry, that wasn't too clear. I meant contact him about a red spinel?

D

Deactivated member 42515

minousbijoux said:
So what about contacting Pregcurious's vendor, Bruce Bridges?

ETA: sorry, that wasn't too clear. I meant contact him about a red spinel?
I will. There's a stone Athenaworth and Fortekitty said might be worth looking at. I also realized that I don't think I mind orange.I guess that makes it easier. That I don't think I mind orange in small amounts. It was brown I didn't like. I wanted a stone the color of these.

I'm thread jacking! Sorry!

imageuploadedbytapatalk1361164637.jpg

imageuploadedbytapatalk1361164650.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
If you want that darker color, and are okay with orange, I would look at a place like Gemcal http://gemcal.com/gemstones/spinel/red-spinel..... That is not stoplight red (--mine is not either.) I would not contact Bruce unless you are comfortable giving a very accurate written description of what you want--he is not set up to do a lot of back and forth with consumers. He mostly works with the trade. He does not have pictures of his stones ready, and only takes pictures as needed, which is very time-consuming for him. I found that I was able to work with him because I was able to very verbally descriptive and completely trust his written descriptions--he was honest that his pictures were not totally accurate.

Perhaps you can request the mods to move this discussion out of this thread--you will get better feedback in your own thread. You can click on the "report concern" button.

EDIT: In general, I find it easier to pick a stone out of a bunch of pictures. That's why I recommended Gemcal.

D

Deactivated member 42515

pregcurious said:
If you want that darker color, and are okay with orange, I would look at a place like Gemcal http://gemcal.com/gemstones/spinel/red-spinel... That is not stoplight red (--mine is not either.) I would not contact Bruce unless you are comfortable giving a very accurate written description of what you want--he is not set up to do a lot of back and forth with consumers. He mostly works with the trade. He does not have pictures of his stones ready, and only takes pictures as needed, which is very time-consuming for him. I found that I was able to work with him because I was able to very verbally descriptive and completely trust his written descriptions--he was honest that his pictures were not totally accurate.

Perhaps you can request the mods to move this discussion out of this thread--you will get better feedback in your own thread. You can click on the "report concern" button.
Thank you pregcurious. I will. I'm gonna see what this stone has to offer and then I will make a thread :) thanks so much for all your help and Chrono and Minousbijoux!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
corundum_conundrum|1361153376|3382776 said:
It looks like a great stone for someone looking for a massive heated yellow stone. The cutting looks beyond reproach to me.

It looks to me from the video that there is a slight brownish-orange modifier, and just a teensy bit of green amidst a predominately very rich yellow (think almost school-bus yellow) with lighter canary flashes. However, I can comment after looking at lots and lots of yellow sapphires that this is about as good as it gets at this size for a heated yellow sapphire. Often the brown and green component in heated yellows makes them look a little sickly, in my opinion. It could be a great pick-up for someone looking for a real statement stone.

+1 on every point.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
YT|1361164730|3382922 said:
There's a stone Athenaworth and Fortekitty said might be worth looking at. I also realized that I don't think I mind orange.I guess that makes it easier. That I don't think I mind orange in small amounts. It was brown I didn't like. I wanted a stone the color of these.

This one actually looks to have a lot of brown but if your eye cannot see it, then it could be the stone for you. The saturation is also not strong at all. I expect this one to close up indoors.

D

Deactivated member 42515

chrono said:
YT|1361164730|3382922 said:
There's a stone Athenaworth and Fortekitty said might be worth looking at. I also realized that I don't think I mind orange.I guess that makes it easier. That I don't think I mind orange in small amounts. It was brown I didn't like. I wanted a stone the color of these.

This one actually looks to have a lot of brown but if your eye cannot see it, then it could be the stone for you. The saturation is also not strong at all. I expect this one to close up indoors.
Oh it definitely closed up indoors. That's why it's going back. Loved the color outside, hated it inside.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry it wasn't right for you. The search goes on. I'm glad that you are holding out for something better. :wavey:

D

Deactivated member 42515

chrono said:
Sorry it wasn't right for you. The search goes on. I'm glad that you are holding out for something better. :wavey:
Thanks! Like I told pregcurious, I don't wanna keep thread jacking. So I will make a new one if this new stone doesn't work out.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
corundum_conundrum|1361153376|3382776 said:
I can certainly give my thoughts as a lover of yellow sapphires.

It looks like a great stone for someone looking for a massive heated yellow stone. The cutting looks beyond reproach to me.

It looks to me from the video that there is a slight brownish-orange modifier, and just a teensy bit of green amidst a predominately very rich yellow (think almost school-bus yellow) with lighter canary flashes. However, I can comment after looking at lots and lots of yellow sapphires that this is about as good as it gets at this size for a heated yellow sapphire. Often the brown and green component in heated yellows makes them look a little sickly, in my opinion. It could be a great pick-up for someone looking for a real statement stone.

One to ask about for sure if anyone is looking for a Titanic yellow sapphire. I know Jeff will sell for a bit less if you contact him directly and cut out the middle man (ebay).

I'm not sure where the yellow sapphire lovers went. Alas, I don't think we'll ever get to see this in real life. Everyone is looking for blue sapphires now.

ChrisA222

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Jeff Davies has been listing some sweet Red Spinels lately...from Vietnam. These are in addition to the Burma stones he has also had. I've gone ahead and bought one of the Vietnamese stones, and Ill post it with pics once I have it. Definately check him out though...

Chrono, I am lucky that I do not have your eye for orange and/or brown in Red Spinels, because then I'd probably never have one. LOL.

This is not my stone, but one that is similar that is available for sale, just to give you an example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CUSHION-CUT-TOP-COLOR-2-31ct-RED-SPINEL-VIETNAM-WATCH-VIDEO-/370762422869?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5653299a55

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As a collector, it is very important for me to be able to see, read and differentiate the nuances of colour as accurately as possible. It also helps in deciding if the stone is priced right for the colour and other qualities.

ChrisA222

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I know this Chrono. Im a collector too. But what looks like awesome red to me would look like something else to you.

This is my current Red Spinel which I love. Its too small...which is the only reason I am upgrading. This one is a wee 1.26ct.

Vendor pic is first and the best I could do with my camera phone follows. TO me, this is red. I dont see brown or orange. To you, its probably brownish-orange. LOL. But--I digress. I really believe that no matter how much I learn about seeing color, my eye is just not capable of seeing what you see. To me, if this stone was larger, it would satisfy me. The vendor of the new one that I've bought (the same as this stone) has told me that it has better color than this one. Great--but I would have been happy had it looked like this one.

I did take that color test that was floating around on here. I did pretty well, but I did not get 100%.

_3808.jpg

_3809.jpg

_3810.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chris,
You are right again. I certainly see a modifier in all 3 pictures. Better to have something small and nice, than something big with lesser colour. At least you have this to keep you "busy" until the right one comes along. :))

ChrisA222

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I am just glad that I got the camera to actually show the stone correctly. Look at the white paper...its....white!!! It didnt turn the stone a funky color, either. But, sadly it does not cooperate most of the time. It does reds ok but forget blues or greens. SO you might be waiting a long time for the hand shot of the blue tourmaline. LOL.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Depends on who you are buying from and how good your negotiating skills are. :naughty: From Pala, expect this one to be expensive, is all I can say. I've seen stones like this offered as high as $1K/ct but I've also seen much lower pricing.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Someone PLEEAASSSEE buy the pear mahenge on gemfix so I will stop coveting?

_3818.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1361212343|3383225 said:
Chris,
You are right again. I certainly see a modifier in all 3 pictures. Better to have something small and nice, than something big with lesser colour. At least you have this to keep you "busy" until the right one comes along. :))

Sorry to say, but I do too. Its not bad, its just there. All in all, I'm liking your latest acquisitions a bit more - if this spinel is any indication, you are also realizing its worth it to spend more to get more.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
athenaworth|1361214799|3383270 said:
Someone PLEEAASSSEE buy the pear mahenge on gemfix so I will stop coveting?

No, Athena, its not worthy of you (unless its cheap). You have better. :))

emmmme

Shiny_Rock
ChrisA222|1361211896|3383217 said:
I did take that color test that was floating around on here. I did pretty well, but I did not get 100%.

What is this color test? I tried searching but couldn't find it. Sounds like something I'd like to try!

emmmme

Shiny_Rock
Go figure -- I though I'd have more luck searching the American spelling (even though I'm Canadian).

Thanks, Chrono!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What about this spess? 3.64 ct, $600

spesstgt.gif

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Second one yes! First one too much brown to my eye :((

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
I feel like this has been posted before?

Another gem trader stone that I spotted when looking at that spess. The shape on this is its main drawback, the color is fabulous, imo:

It is 1.13 carats, 6.8 x 6.4mm, and 904 dollars

may-09-tsavoi.gif

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results