shape
carat
color
clarity

Somebody's Gotta Buy This Piece!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock

FWIW I bought a paraiba from TRR that was stated as a tourmaline some time back. Irl it’s not super glowy though it can look good in pics. Quoted in my post below

I think the one you posted could be a paraiba but maybe not a glowy one and clarity isn’t great.

Ok last one... and this is a funny stone cos it’s the only one where I’m always trying to make it look worse rather than better.

It’s a preloved convertible ring/pendant from Therealreal that was indicated as a tourmaline rather than a paraiba. 3.58 ct paraiba with 0.34 ct diamond in 18k WG setting

And the vendor pic is on the left. So I really had a surprise when I opened the package and saw what it really looked like. The pic on the right shows it as being much more glowy than it is irl.
435DED32-93DC-4531-BF7F-8222EEA88639.jpeg

Irl the color isn’t so intense nor is it so glowy. My other paraiba pendant is much more glowy irl (but not visible from photo) but in photos this one really pops.

Anyway thankfully it checked out as paraiba after being tested in my local lab cos it was a huge gamble...
F47C56ED-2D4C-42D6-A3BA-762794A8FAA6.jpeg C3F89057-D91E-4D82-B7D8-1A861A79B366.jpeg 9391D825-3FE3-4A4D-989F-6742C661E22B.jpeg

And this is me trying to make it look not so glowy. I have so many pics like this and most ‘fail’ cos too glowy. Like I said, funny stone. :lol-2:
3A4922C7-D605-44E8-BA36-9585759CDFE0.jpeg

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
For context, I got a $10k+ Erika Winters ring for $1200 because it was just listed as a "platinum ring" and it said there was a maker's mark, but not that it was clearly EW (although in that case, her work was so unmistakeable I knew it was hers the instant I saw it).

Wow can you share pics? Sounds like a fab steal

andrewcarter173

Rough_Rock
When I pulled the trigger on my Colombian emerald ballerina-style ring (it’s posted over on PS Colored GemStones), I had to choose between it and this beauty.
I must admit the Tiffany part made my heart beat faster.
Very difficult decision.
So this ring is still out there and it’s truly amazing!
Here are a couple mod shots indoors and outside along with the jewelers Etsy Store.... F0915584-F4C6-4F87-AE10-CA18A5642C14.jpeg E9383BF1-3976-4830-B89D-30CB31A44B6E.jpeg BC83B83C-862D-4B0E-84C1-45CC99B6084F.jpeg andhttps://www.etsy.com/listing/661939378/vintage-tiffany-co-platinum-agl

I love this ring! Still for sale it seems. What do you think is a reasonable value for it relative to the asking price?

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I love this ring! Still for sale it seems. What do you think is a reasonable value for it relative to the asking price?

I really don't know - will let the experts weigh in on that, but I do know that emeralds are often heavily treated so you may want to ask about that. Being Tiffany & Co it seems less likely because of course they are famous for their high quality, but wouldn't hurt to ask.

andrewcarter173

Rough_Rock
I really don't know - will let the experts weigh in on that, but I do know that emeralds are often heavily treated so you may want to ask about that. Being Tiffany & Co it seems less likely because of course they are famous for their high quality, but wouldn't hurt to ask.

Thanks. I see a certificate but I have no idea how to read these things! il_1588xN.1796447413_oab7.jpg

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
And since we are asking experts I'm now thinking more and more on that item that @YadaYadaYada posted. Do you think it would look like a champagne diamond, given the the fact that it's so low on the alphabet scale? Because I did contact Zach and he offered to sell me the stone sans setting (I don't care for the setting) for $3650. It is cut so beautifully that I am tempted; but a bit worried that it might look champagne or brownish. Advice needed! Sorry if this wasn't an advice thread! Gah! Some of you including @YadaYadaYada know that I almost bought a 2 ct ring for a good price but then the deal got all balled up. So I'm on the hunt again. Link again if needed: https://www.etsy.com/listing/860239501/platinum-old-european-cut-diamond-ring

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Thanks. I see a certificate but I have no idea how to read these things! il_1588xN.1796447413_oab7.jpg

I am unsure perhaps the "insignifcant"? You should post in "Rocky Talky" maybe or the Gemstone forum as you might also get some more feedback there :)

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Lol you got me down a rabbit hole! The 4.10ct Certified Old Mine Cut in Platinum Antique Setting on his page is divine :kiss2::kiss2::kiss2:

@maryjane04 I am so glad you commented!! I need to know what you think about the one that @YadaYadaYada posted that now I'm thinking of...(see above). But I'm not sure about this guy; he has amazing things but there is some weird stuff going on. Like that one ring that I posted, the picture of it shown on someone's finger isn't of the actual ring that would be sold. The diamond listed is in a different setting and the setting would be made to order. There are some other specs like that on his other pictures that don't line up with EBay to Insta to his site...it's a bit confusing to navigate. It's not necessary bad, but important to know that the real pics or videos aren't necessarily the exact thing being sold.

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
@maryjane04 I am so glad you commented!! I need to know what you think about the one that @YadaYadaYada posted that now I'm thinking of...(see above). But I'm not sure about this guy; he has amazing things but there is some weird stuff going on. Like that one ring that I posted, the picture of it shown on someone's finger isn't of the actual ring that would be sold. The diamond listed is in a different setting and the setting would be made to order. There are some other specs like that on his other pictures that don't line up with EBay to Insta to his site...it's a bit confusing to navigate. It's not necessary bad, but important to know that the real pics or videos aren't necessarily the exact thing being sold.

Yeah I found that his pricing is not very transparent nor are the details of the actual ring that is being advertised on his instagram (every time you ask for details i.e. specs of the diamonds/ring he has to send you a DM). I haven't looked at his ebay but briefly looked at his website and some of the pictures are awful lol.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Yeah I found that his pricing is not very transparent nor are the details of the actual ring that is being advertised on his instagram (every time you ask for details i.e. specs of the diamonds/ring he has to send you a DM). I haven't looked at his ebay but briefly looked at his website and some of the pictures are awful lol.

Yes service merchandise stock pics lol! What do you think of this ring? https://www.etsy.com/listing/860239...cut-diamond-ring?ref=shop_home_active_1&cns=1

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Mreader if low colors are not your thing then the Zachary ring won’t work for you, he is saying Q/R so there will be a visible tint to it, probably yellow. Now he could be wrong if it is not a GIA graded Q/R and it could be a higher color or lower of course. If it has fluor then it would face up whiter.

I had an M color OEC that did have fluor and although it did face up white sometimes there was a noticeable tint to it. I will say the cut on Zach’s diamond looks amazing but old cuts are very subjective and you would really need to see it to know if it is for you.

ean

Brilliant_Rock

I tried contacting him about a french cut band initially. It was up on his instagram, ebay, and etsy. I dm’ed him on insta asking about the specs and he said it’s been sold. I asked him if he was aware that his listing is still up on ebay, etsy, and some other antique site that I forgot the name of. I think it took him like 3 days to take all the listings down. If I had jumped the gun and purchased it, I would’ve been very very disappointed to see my order being cancelled like that. Idk. It just kinda put me off.

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
I tried contacting him about a french cut band initially. It was up on his instagram, ebay, and etsy. I dm’ed him on insta asking about the specs and he said it’s been sold. I asked him if he was aware that his listing is still up on ebay, etsy, and some other antique site that I forgot the name of. I think it took him like 3 days to take all the listings down. If I had jumped the gun and purchased it, I would’ve been very very disappointed to see my order being cancelled like that. Idk. It just kinda put me off.

Yeah I think it sounds messy. Not to mention he advertises different things and specs not listed so it would be so hard to keep track of what is what (i.e. same setting different centre)? I would be hesitant to purchase from him too. I am glad that you sent him a DM on Insta to ask for specs (wish he would list them and be transparent about it).

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
@Mreader if low colors are not your thing then the Zachary ring won’t work for you, he is saying Q/R so there will be a visible tint to it, probably yellow. Now he could be wrong if it is not a GIA graded Q/R and it could be a higher color or lower of course. If it has fluor then it would face up whiter.

I had an M color OEC that did have fluor and although it did face up white sometimes there was a noticeable tint to it. I will say the cut on Zach’s diamond looks amazing but old cuts are very subjective and you would really need to see it to know if it is for you.

I don't mind warmth at all; just wasn't sure if it had more that champagne brown color rather than warm tint. Another link makes it look much whiter, but lighting is super good in that one:
But none of this stuff is certified. So it's hard to say exactly what it is, but the fire and faceting is what I was drawn too :)

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I looked at the price and that was attractive with the setting lol. I am not sure the setting does it for me but the stone if certified might be good. I am not that good at judging stones but I think it looks nice. But I think I'd rather ask Adam from OWD to pick a stone for me instead hahaha.

Yes the setting wasn't my favorite I actually really like the shape but would prefer larger melees. I was attracted to the fire and facets. I agree about Adam and he comes very highly recommended but what I'm sort of searching for, I realize, it an estate piece as those tend to be less pricy. OWD doesn't have many already put together things, and when you start with the stone first then go from there things get pricier. Plus I confess I have less of an imagination with this stuff; I like to browse and select something that I really love, already made :)

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Yeah I think it sounds messy. Not to mention he advertises different things and specs not listed so it would be so hard to keep track of what is what (i.e. same setting different centre)? I would be hesitant to purchase from him too. I am glad that you sent him a DM on Insta to ask for specs (wish he would list them and be transparent about it).

Yes because I would like to see what I am actually getting. It would probably be a better place if you lived in the area and could look at everything. He sent me a video of the stone but it was in another setting totally. I thought that was so weird - like why advertise one stone with one setting when that stone isn't even a loose stone, but one that is in another ring entirely?

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
Yes the setting wasn't my favorite I actually really like the shape but would prefer larger melees. I was attracted to the fire and facets. I agree about Adam and he comes very highly recommended but what I'm sort of searching for, I realize, it an estate piece as those tend to be less pricy. OWD doesn't have many already put together things, and when you start with the stone first then go from there things get pricier. Plus I confess I have less of an imagination with this stuff; I like to browse and select something that I really love, already made :)

I agree with the cost factor and getting pricier when you add in a setting. Although the thing that I have found on my search for an OMC is that - when you choose an estate piece you can't choose the diamond or the setting. It comes as a package. I was tossing up over this completed piece because I loved the antique setting but the diamond was dead and didn't do it for me. So I went with buying a loose stone and having it set. I really wish I found a complete antique piece but it was so hard to find something that sings to me.

Yes because I would like to see what I am actually getting. It would probably be a better place if you lived in the area and could look at everything. He sent me a video of the stone but it was in another setting totally. I thought that was so weird - like why advertise one stone with one setting when that stone isn't even a loose stone, but one that is in another ring entirely?

I am in Australia and we can't see anything down here. So you need someone who is transparent and up front and shows you lots of videos/photos in different lighting etc so you can have all the information to make an informed decision. It seems like there is so much confusion in the way he communicates, what if he sent you the wrong stone lol. Anyway I do enjoy looking for pieces and drool over the pretty ones but for a purchase you need to be confident with the vendor. I wouldn't be confident in buying from him.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I agree with the cost factor and getting pricier when you add in a setting. Although the thing that I have found on my search for an OMC is that - when you choose an estate piece you can't choose the diamond or the setting. It comes as a package. I was tossing up over this completed piece because I loved the antique setting but the diamond was dead and didn't do it for me. So I went with buying a loose stone and having it set. I really wish I found a complete antique piece but it was so hard to find something that sings to me.

I am in Australia and we can't see anything down here. So you need someone who is transparent and up front and shows you lots of videos/photos in different lighting etc so you can have all the information to make an informed decision. It seems like there is so much confusion in the way he communicates, what if he sent you the wrong stone lol. Anyway I do enjoy looking for pieces and drool over the pretty ones but for a purchase you need to be confident with the vendor. I wouldn't be confident in buying from him.

100% yes. I had a bad feeling in my gut too after the back-and-forth emailing etc. so you gotta go with that. There aren't vintage shops in Australia to peruse?

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
100% yes. I had a bad feeling in my gut too after the back-and-forth emailing etc. so you gotta go with that. There aren't vintage shops in Australia to peruse?

LOL the quality is awful haha and hardly a bargain. There aren't many vintage shops to peruse either. If I wasn't on PS and saw the potential for old cuts and how amazing they could be, I would never ever buy an old cut.

Here is a taste (in AUD):

I can't believe these prices for that clarity LOL:
https://www.rutherford.com.au/produ...ings3-16ct-d71751?_pos=5&_sid=f37b6797d&_ss=r

https://www.rutherford.com.au/produ...amond-ring-d90140?_pos=2&_sid=f37b6797d&_ss=r

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
LOL the quality is awful haha and hardly a bargain. There aren't many vintage shops to peruse either. If I wasn't on PS and saw the potential for old cuts and how amazing they could be, I would never ever buy an old cut.

Here is a taste (in AUD):

I can't believe these prices for that clarity LOL:
https://www.rutherford.com.au/produ...ings3-16ct-d71751?_pos=5&_sid=f37b6797d&_ss=r

https://www.rutherford.com.au/produ...amond-ring-d90140?_pos=2&_sid=f37b6797d&_ss=r

Yikes!!! Also those awful 2ct earrings for 8K!!

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
Yikes!!! Also those awful 2ct earrings for 8K!!

Actually it's 12.5k USD hahahaha!!!

12ct rose gold earrings each with an old mine cut diamond set in ten claws above a scalloped gallery suspended from a top with rose gold scrolls and a yellow gold leaf with hinged clip hook fittings.
Total Diamond Weight: 3.16ct
Colour I-K Clarity P1
Weight: 3.33grams

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I tried to this pretty the other day. 1920 delicate filigree setting with 1.33 OEC. An I1 but all you saw was chunky flashes :) I wish I could post videos here bc can’t get a clear pic. 9ED069C9-2ED3-4528-97D3-34045EF42BC5.jpeg

ean

Brilliant_Rock
I tried to this pretty the other day. 1920 delicate filigree setting with 1.33 OEC. An I1 but all you saw was chunky flashes :) I wish I could post videos here bc can’t get a clear pic. 9ED069C9-2ED3-4528-97D3-34045EF42BC5.jpeg

Wow!! She looks positively blinding on your hand!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results