shape
carat
color
clarity

Somebody's Gotta Buy This Piece!

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
Would this description make you more or less likely to buy this ring? The seller sounds very motivated, anyway. Criss cuts, if anyone's looking for that.

"This lovely ring has a complex combination of curses layered on it. The primary curse is a Binder that prevents the wearer from leaving the relationship or situation even if they desperately want to. In addition to the binding curse, it also has a financial losses curse layered on it, which causes the wearer to lose money even in situations which should be easily profitable. Finally, it has a joy block, which means it creates a shield around the wearer, preventing them from experiencing happiness even in the most euphoric situations.

This ring will berate the wearer and criticize every aspect of their life. Nothing will ever be enough for this ring. It is haunted by the ghost of a dissatisfied mother who took great pleasure in destroying her children’s relationships, and keeping them in her control through emotional and financial blackmail.

The perfect gift for a frenemy or if you want to punish someone close to you but don’t want them to be able to leave you.
The ring has requested a new owner and instructed us to sell it ASAP"

I wonder if you can break the curses by pulling it apart. I'm not particularly superstitious, but this creeps me out a little. :eek-2:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can you get use a pic of the bottom of the stone? I just wonder if it's really an H color. Color will determine if it's a deal or not.

I sort of feel the price is fair even if its more tinted, which I assume that it is, but of course having a reputable lab report would be much better.

@Tinytreasurers my e-ring diamond in my avatar is an American cut and you can read all about it in this thread. It is one of the latest old cuts, right before the transition to MRBs, and one of the most rare because the time period when it was cut was very very short and many were recut into modern MRBs because the proportions are similar enough that a recut would not lose much weight.

Yes I always said (thought) I wanted a three stone, yes I sold a diamond a year ago in part because it was too big, yes I am a changable creature... we all know the history! :lol:

But I had been saving to set my three stone and kept finding excuses not to do it. I couldn't decide on a setting, I couldn't decide whether I liked the big side stones or smaller side stones. Somehow I had a mental block about that project. And when I saw Demelza's huge OEC -- the first time I had the pleasure of seeing such a large and amazing diamond in person -- GAME OVER!! I wanted one too ;( InnaR said in my three stone thread that she thought I was a solitaire girl at heart. And I realized she is right. It just needs to be a really big solitaire :devil: Social norms be darned.

But I had also been wondering if maybe old cuts were not for me. I love so much about old cuts -- the chunkiness, the history, the uniqueness. But I cannot stand lazy central facets, leakage, hazy mush. I am OCD about cut!! My 7mm OEC is about as good as it gets in a traditional OEC and even that stone niggled at me in terms of optics. So I was considering getting an RB again!

And then yesterday I stumbled on a listing on ebay that made me stop in my tracks and gasp out loud! This is it! The holy grail, the one in a million cut! Just what I have been looking for! I made an offer, back and forth we went, seller shipped overnight, and I made a day long trip to pick it up today.

It is love at first sight!! :love: :love: :love: This diamond is perfect, all my dreams come true: Huge, white, perfect chunky optics, and a gorgeous setting. It is that rarest of rare cuts: a very symmetrical later European cut, what some call transitional. Like a chunkier, bolder, modern RB. The cutter who crafted this stone was a master. And it is *perfect* for me. Looks so much like Demelza's stone! And others I have admired on PS: jjc's, happy canary's, kennedy's.

So, may I introduce my 8.1mm later period European cut diamond, likely from the 1920s. Estimated G color, SI1 clarity with no under table inclusions, 1.9ct. In a supposedly authentic platinum octagonal-bezel prong-set mount.

I have named her "George" because I will love her, and kiss her, and squeeze her and never let her go.

george_011.jpg

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
I sort of feel the price is fair even if its more tinted, which I assume that it is, but of course having a reputable lab report would be much better.

@Tinytreasurers my e-ring diamond in my avatar is an American cut and you can read all about it in this thread. It is one of the latest old cuts, right before the transition to MRBs, and one of the most rare because the time period when it was cut was very very short and many were recut into modern MRBs because the proportions are similar enough that a recut would not lose much weight.

Hard to say without a cert. Take this certed retail comp as an example:

Even if this is a GIA L-price point is on par with the uncerted stone at $5995. I buy pieces with uncerted stones all the time, but for this price point a cert would be reassuring.

Last edited:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

Even if this is a GIA L-price point is on par with the uncerted stone at $5995. I buy pieces with uncerted stones all the time, but for this price point a cert would be reassuring.

Yeah it’s a totally good point!

We have had some interesting conversations on these boards about how to determine value of vintage/antique pieces. In the spirit of those conversations I’ll say this is a time when I would attach added value to the cut style on this one. I understand not everyone would make that value judgement. But this cut is so rare. I mean I’d need to see more photos to be 100% sure about this one, or see it with my eyes like OP has done, but this cut is just so rare and so spectacular. If I was looking I’d consider buying a nice version of this diamond cut without it needing to be a deal. I might even pay a small premium.

But obviously, others may disagree! Thus the hard-to-pin value of old treasures.

Grymera

Shiny_Rock
@newtojewels Ah that makes sense, thank you. I always wondered why I'd see two pieces and they'd look similar, but one would be more neon and the other more subdued. I'm a neon girl myself when it comes to jewels ;)2

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Yeah it’s a totally good point!

We have had some interesting conversations on these boards about how to determine value of vintage/antique pieces. In the spirit of those conversations I’ll say this is a time when I would attach added value to the cut style on this one. I understand not everyone would make that value judgement. But this cut is so rare. I mean I’d need to see more photos to be 100% sure about this one, or see it with my eyes like OP has done, but this cut is just so rare and so spectacular. If I was looking I’d consider buying a nice version of this diamond cut without it needing to be a deal. I might even pay a small premium.

But obviously, others may disagree! Thus the hard-to-pin value of old treasures.

Conceptually, I totally agree! I will pay more for a “rare” piece. When judging old cuts, cut preference 100% comes into play.

In this case, if the stone is actually say an NOP color then the premium would be quite high. But we don’t have this info bc the seller is grading the color-not a third party.

I *think* the OP was trying to get a sense if the stone was priced well. And we simply need more info to make that assessment.

ETA: Prices are all over place right now. There are definitely deals to be had especially in the MNOP color range. Some prices have me scratching my head-for instance there’s a 1 ct certed transitional listed for less than $2k!

Last edited:

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium

The pic in the appraisal doesn’t match the pic of the diamond. Is this typical for I&R?

IMG_3781.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3780.jpeg
    IMG_3780.jpeg
    126 KB · Views: 19

LTCT814

Shiny_Rock
Would this description make you more or less likely to buy this ring? The seller sounds very motivated, anyway. Criss cuts, if anyone's looking for that.

"This lovely ring has a complex combination of curses layered on it. The primary curse is a Binder that prevents the wearer from leaving the relationship or situation even if they desperately want to. In addition to the binding curse, it also has a financial losses curse layered on it, which causes the wearer to lose money even in situations which should be easily profitable. Finally, it has a joy block, which means it creates a shield around the wearer, preventing them from experiencing happiness even in the most euphoric situations.

This ring will berate the wearer and criticize every aspect of their life. Nothing will ever be enough for this ring. It is haunted by the ghost of a dissatisfied mother who took great pleasure in destroying her children’s relationships, and keeping them in her control through emotional and financial blackmail.

The perfect gift for a frenemy or if you want to punish someone close to you but don’t want them to be able to leave you.
The ring has requested a new owner and instructed us to sell it ASAP"

This is too funny. I suppose the ring has become bored with its current owner? "The ring has requested a new owner and instructed us to sell it ASAP"

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
The pic in the appraisal doesn’t match the pic of the diamond. Is this typical for I&R?

IMG_3781.jpeg

@kgizo I have no idea. I didn’t do a deep dive-I was just quickly looking for comps. Generally, I&R has competitive pricing. But the 1 ct I referenced has a GIA cert.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Conceptually, I totally agree! I will pay more for a “rare” piece. When judging old cuts, cut preference 100% comes into play.

In this case, if the stone is actually say an NOP color then the premium would be quite high. But we don’t have this info bc the seller is grading the color-not a third party.

I *think* the OP was trying to get a sense if the stone was priced well. And we simply need more info to make that assessment.

ETA: Prices are all over place right now. There are definitely deals to be had especially in the MNOP color range. Some prices have me scratching my head-for instance there’s a 1 ct certed transitional listed for less than $2k!

Yeah prices are wacky. And you are right. If the color is off by that much then not such a deal anymore. I’ve generally found random GGs are not that far off. Though my American cut was sold to me as a G color and it’s more like a KL. So who knows!

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hey! So pretty new here, hoping this is okay to ask here. My local jeweler is awesome and knows I'm into Old euro cuts. I brought a piece into her appraised today and she showed me the following diamond. This photo is under 10x magnifying lens, plus has a good bit of dust on it (all the tiny white flecks).

She graded it (she's a certified Gia gemologist for what it's worth) at 1.57 carats, h color (but faces up very white), no fluorescents, and s12, not because of inclusions, but because the stone has some abrasions on the facets under magnification. She offered it at $5700, thoughts? I am looking to upgrade my engagement ring which is a 1/2 carat aaa ruby.

This looks technically like a very finely cut American Cut, as noted by Dreamer. If it’s an H, that’s rarer.

The only caveat I’d mention is the worn facet junctions on the top of the crown. In the photo you can see the frosted lines (those are the worn facet junctions the vendor has mentioned - from daily wear/rough activities maybe?). I can see them possibly reflecting into the area around the culet. So you want to hold the stone and take it into various types of light to see if the worn facet junctions are something you can see, and if they bother you.

In close up photos they are obvious. In real life, I actually like worn facet junctions on an antique diamond because they accentuate and define the cut, kind of like an outline on the facets IMO.

However, I’ve never seen worn facet junctions on an American Cut, maybe because they are much newer than the really old diamonds I also have never seen facet junction wear just in one place (your’s seems to have it only on the top of the crown). It takes a lot to abrade a facet junction. I’m not even sure how it’s done!

The facet junction wear if it’s obvious without magnification should be contemplated in the price. I don’t think you can polish these out without completely changing the original cut, which looks very good to me (I wouldn’t re-polish this diamond but you COULD take the diamond to a very good cutter and see what a professional thinks about polishing the facet junctions, it might actually be less invasive than I assume but would add to the cost and risk).

Maybe start a new post so people can give you their thoughts. I think it’s a lovely diamond, and I’d like to see more photos and videos.

Last edited:

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@kgizo I have no idea. I didn’t do a deep dive-I was just quickly looking for comps. Generally, I&R has competitive pricing. But the 1 ct I referenced has a GIA cert.

Sorry for any confusion, I was asking in general - not calling you out specifically. There are a lot of I&R repeat customers on here so I wondered if they might have some insight about the appraisals, etc.

Tinytreasurers

Rough_Rock
So appreciate the thoughtful feedback and discussion. Learning a lot and appreciate everyone's opinions.

I took more photos today! The jeweler is awesome and even took out her diamond color grading set so we could compare. I think it's closer to a J than and H for reference, definitely not moving into the K territory. The lighting inside the store was terrible but I took the stone outside to get some photos in indirect and direct light. In indirect light you can't see any of the abrasions but in direct light they are visible. IMG_7680.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7681.jpeg
    IMG_7681.jpeg
    152.4 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_7685.jpeg
    IMG_7685.jpeg
    168.7 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_7687.jpeg
    IMG_7687.jpeg
    189.4 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_7688.jpeg
    IMG_7688.jpeg
    142.4 KB · Views: 42

Tinytreasurers

Rough_Rock
Also my husband and I were debating how in the world you cause some facet level abrasions! It's crazy! He thinks someone took a nail file to it lol. Who knows - maybe someone got this diamond from a mother in law they hated and decided to go to town on it?

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
So appreciate the thoughtful feedback and discussion. Learning a lot and appreciate everyone's opinions.

I took more photos today! The jeweler is awesome and even took out her diamond color grading set so we could compare. I think it's closer to a J than and H for reference, definitely not moving into the K territory. The lighting inside the store was terrible but I took the stone outside to get some photos in indirect and direct light. In indirect light you can't see any of the abrasions but in direct light they are visible. IMG_7680.jpeg

Looks like a fab size on your finger! Since the stone is a tad warmer than initially thought, is there any flexibility on the price?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
So these aren’t great photos for seeing the facet pattern, but I’m a little concerned that the table is larger than might be ideal given the other proportions. It’s potentially causing some leakage around the periphery of the table. Did you get a video by chance? Or pictures in shade under a tree?

This area marked in yellow is where you might see issues. It would look like hazy or just “mushy” facets, not clear and distinct like you see everywhere else. Or darkness when the rest of the diamond is lit up. It might not be an issue but it’s what I would check for when considering the cut quality.
1714356317532.png

cloud_less

Shiny_Rock
Anyone looking for a chunky new band? I double checked the numbers this time! :lol:Chaumet, 18k yellow gold, size 7.75, 9.2mm wide, weighs 10.3 grams with 2.97 carats of cabochon sapphires for $995.

1712694177250.png

Someone snagged an incredible deal!

A very belated report for another trr purchase, but here it comes: it's nice and weighty, I kept reaching for it to put in my stack. Bonus being signed by Chaumet Paris with full marks. Thank you @newtojewels for spotting this!
1714490452415.jpg

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
Size 8, 14K vintage setting. Seller estimates can hold 6.5-7.5mm center stone. Good price given the gram weight and .5ct melee. And the seller sent an offer for $25 off, so the price is lightly flexible.
1714515308957.png

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous, wide 18k band, dated 1885!! Size 5, 7mm wide.
1714592808211.png

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gosh someone please buy this! 22k gold, size 7, very old with lovely engraving.

1714606851959.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results