shape
carat
color
clarity

Some assistance on a Sapphire

aveda6

Shiny_Rock
Hello all, and first off all, thank you for the great information from anyone on this site. I am currently looking to purchase a sapphire to be used in an engagement ring and I'm struggling to find exactly what I want. I have been to local jewelers and they just aren't knowledgeable enough to be of assistance.

What I want is a blue (violet or purple) gem between 2 and 3 carats. Ideally I would like a color-change but a fixed color stone is fine if one of the colors mentioned. I would like a depth between 60-75% and I think my preference is a cushion cut (followed by oval and the round).

I'm not concerned about treated versus untreated.

I was looking at the following gem but I believe the inclusions will drive me crazy. Are these as obvious to everyone as they are to me? I know inclusions are common on Sapphires so I'm struggling a bit to figure out what eye-clean means in real life.

My budget is not unlimited so that makes it a challenge (my max gem cost may only be $3-4k). It's hard to ask for thoughts without having someone grab the gem, but I am curious for feedback as I have plenty of time to find the right gem.

thank you,
james sapphire_11.jpg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't be sure, but I dont think that those inclusions would be visible IRL (unless you were extremely close to the stone and looking for them). I bet it would be eye clean, although the best bet is likely to ask the vendor. If the stone is from the vendor I suspect it is, he is really nice and should be able to tell you what it looks like IRL.

Good luck! :wavey:

aveda6

Shiny_Rock
Thank you very much...i'm sure you are correct in who has the gem. I did send a request so we'll see.

In the meantime, any thoughts on this 2ct round sapphire? I know the image sucks but I was curious what to look for...

sapphire2_12.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The light source is too strong and the stone is at an angle in the photograph so I don't know how to read its true colour and cannot tell a thing about the cut. A hand shot (without flash) is best.

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock
That second one looks like the photo has been ramped up to me (increased saturation and contrast if I had to guess). It's possible it's just really strong light, but I'd want to see videos and additional pictures with someone's hand in it, to better judge color.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
agreed--from the second picture it isn't really clear what we are looking at in terms of color + cut. Hopefully a better picture would make the specs more clear.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
paulreinhard|1450132410|3961451 said:
3-4K is WAY too much for what you are looking for. These stones I buy for 350 bucks/ct, eye clean VVS in Sri Lanka. I wish I had clients willing to spend 4k for a stone like that. I'd be very very wealthy by now. :mrgreen:

Check out gemrockauctions.com for some stones. Prices are not as cheap as the mines, but still you can find a nice stone for a fair price. It is very difficult to get a clean and well cut sapphire of good color without inclusions or color bands. Patience is the key.

Good luck!

Hi! If you're a vendor, and the first paragraph sure makes it sound like you are, you need to identify your self as such to the mods. :)

aveda6

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for all of the feedback. I was, by no means, indicating what the price of either stone was, I was only referring to my max budget. Neither stone is that expensive but I will say that $350/ct doesn't seem to be inline with anything I've found either in person or on line. I have multiple issues with the second stone but I wanted to gauge some feedback. The picture was taken with a cellphone but it appeared "off" to me for some reason. I have multiple pics and videos of the first stone but just haven't shared them here. I appreciate everyone's comments. I spent multiple weeks studying diamonds on this website many years ago and now feel as though I have to relearn all new skills for evaluating sapphires.

aveda6

Shiny_Rock
And, I wasn't going to say anything, but I checked out that website that was recommended and it is a simple auction site with almost zero information on the gems. I wouldn't trust it with my purchase but this is just one person's view. Perhaps it's great for others...

eastjavaman

Shiny_Rock
Eye clean, means you cannot see the inclusion with naked eye. Without magnification, if you can see with naked eye r without magnification, it is considered not eye clean.
That is as simple as it gets

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
eastjavaman|1450183770|3961644 said:
Eye clean, means you cannot see the inclusion with naked eye. Without magnification, if you can see with naked eye r without magnification, it is considered not eye clean.

For some people, they don't want to see anything from any angle about 6 inches away. However, the general rule is 12 inches away and only from the top.

eastjavaman

Shiny_Rock
Chrono|1450189727|3961665 said:
eastjavaman|1450183770|3961644 said:

For some people, they don't want to see anything from any angle about 6 inches away. However, the general rule is 12 inches away and only from the top.

Yes, correct, I forgot to mention from the top thing.

aveda6

Shiny_Rock
Thank you everyone...based on the feedback here I have made my decision and look forward to receiving the sapphire listed first. I think it just matches what I want out of a gem...I'll post pics once i have the final ring..

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just had to post to say that I love your avatar - tulips are my favorite. :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results