shape
carat
color
clarity

Some advice please?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bling

Shiny_Rock
hi all,
i have a quickie question that maybe someone out there can answer. i hope this is the right forum to ask this too... i (well its my sisters) have a diamond that was passed down from our grandmother. a while back, my sister had it set for a pendant..(me..i would have done a ring..its a nice size stone..white..has some inlcusions...may be on the shallower side..and pretty good performer..at least a carat...why a pendant!!!!)..anyway...she had it reset as a pendent. its in a plat bezel setting..the bezel goes about as deep as the stone itself, if that makes any sense. she is getting married this year and my mom and i would like to reset it for her into something more delicate..just a basket type setting..maybe a three prong? my question is will taking the stone out of the bezel damage the diamond at all durin the process? im no expert so i dont know what kind of inclusions are in the stone, and how far they may extend to the edge..but we will definitely not reset it if it endangers the stones integrity. has anyone had any experience with this sort of thing?
if no one thinks it will be aproblem..maybe someone can post some possible pics of new settings for the stone as a pendent.
again..thanks in advance for everyones help!!
confused.gif
appl.gif
appl.gif
read.gif

sumi

Brilliant_Rock
First, I would make sure that your sister isn't totally in love with the way the stone is now. If you change the pendant from something that she LOVED to something that she doesn't love, she might be a little upset.
2.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
There's a thread of pendants, Bling, either in Show Me the Ring or Diamond Hangout. Can't remember which. Also, a poster, Yingh, just had her old e-ring diamond reset into a unique pendant. Kinda horseshoe shaped semi-bezel with diamond accents along the edge. She got the pendant setting at Blue Nile(??) and had the diamond mounted by her jeweler.
1.gif

roshita

Rough_Rock
I'd agree with Sumi. I would not change the setting without input from your sister. Fashion and style is a very personal thing. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, and we all have different eyes.

bling

Shiny_Rock
yes..that is true and a very good point..but she doesnt wear it because the bezel is too heavy looking for her now. so i know she doesnt care for the setting as much as she used to. tastes do change over time and this was made many years ago. it just sits at my parents house and not worn!
confused.gif
im sure she would really like having it reset..but with all her wedding expenses, she would never do it on her own. so my mother and i thought we would do it for her!
9.gif

does anyone have an answer to my other qeustion...regarding the safety of the stone when removing the diamond? and if there is any risk to it? thanks !!!

sumi

Brilliant_Rock
If your sister seems like she doesn't like the current setting, then I think it's really sweet that you guys want to change it. What a shame that a beautiful diamond just sits at home and isn't enjoyed!
3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results