shape
carat
color
clarity

Solitaire suggestions

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
In light of my recent wreck damaging my Vatche, and having the option now with the insurance claim to move forward with a new setting, I need to figure out what setting to go with. The local jeweler I am sure would prefer I replace it through him. I haven't committed to that OR anything yet. So far nothing has my heart going bonkers over it. I am kind of "spent" on all of these ring dramas. The one damn day I wear my rings all month of September would be the day my car gets totalled.

I like solitaires, they "go with" everything. I like flush fitting as much as possible. I like six prong. Platinum is a requirement for allergies.

What would you go with for a 1.15Ct round (star129) that is "stacked" with a plain and channel set band?

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mark Morrell. If I were ever to go the route of solitaire, he would be the one.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Asscherhalo_lover|1413412376|3767622 said:
Mark Morrell. If I were ever to go the route of solitaire, he would be the one.
I have considered him, however to get it made how I would want it, would be SIGNIFICANTLY more expensive than anyone else, IF he will even do it how I ask (ie high, preferably without a donut.) Previous email exchanges with him have indicated that he doesn't prefer to change his designs that way.

kathley

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ame, have you gone to Clarkson Jewelers for some ideas? They have a one of the largest selections in town, so you would be able to try some styles on to get a feel for what would work for you.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
kathley|1413417993|3767666 said:
Ame, have you gone to Clarkson Jewelers for some ideas? They have a one of the largest selections in town, so you would be able to try some styles on to get a feel for what would work for you.
I actually was there (and Genovese and Curt Parker and Simons) a couple months ago helping my now SIL look for bands before she went with her bezel beauties (pics to eventually go up here. I don't have any to share!) I didn't see a lot that I was really drawn to, besides a Forevermark fishtail pave band that I tried on three times like a crazy person. The settings didn't wow me.

I am finding that most settings are 4 prongs, and none of them are even remotely ....graceful. I don't really want a 4 prong for security reasons despite many being very open and there's not as much 6 prong out there that isn't Tiffany style. The only 4 prong I like is a Sholdt Fremont, but I tried it on and didn't love it as much ON me. We saw a pretty rose gold one at Summa but it's a little more flowy and slightly wider than I want, and again, 4 prong. I might be confusing it with the micropave one though we also saw there.

The only pro to a 4 prong is the openness possibility. But I'd be so concerned about prongs loosening and my stone falling out or getting whacked that I don't think I can go that way.

kathley

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
ame|1413424849|3767700 said:
kathley|1413417993|3767666 said:
I actually was there (and Genovese and Curt Parker and Simons) a couple months ago helping my now SIL look for bands before she went with her bezel beauties (pics to eventually go up here. I don't have any to share!) I didn't see a lot that I was really drawn to, besides a Forevermark fishtail pave band that I tried on three times like a crazy person. The settings didn't wow me.

I am finding that most settings are 4 prongs, and none of them are even remotely ....graceful. I don't really want a 4 prong for security reasons despite many being very open and there's not as much 6 prong out there that isn't Tiffany style. The only 4 prong I like is a Sholdt Fremont, but I tried it on and didn't love it as much ON me. We saw a pretty rose gold one at Summa but it's a little more flowy and slightly wider than I want, and again, 4 prong. I might be confusing it with the micropave one though we also saw there.

The only pro to a 4 prong is the openness possibility. But I'd be so concerned about prongs loosening and my stone falling out or getting whacked that I don't think I can go that way.

I know what you mean by liking a setting, but not so much after you tried it on. That is what I found to be frustrating when I was looking for myself, which is why I ended up going through Maytal to just have her create a ring for me. And you are also right, there just isn't a whole lot to choose from to try on around here in 6 prongs; but if you found a 4 prong that you love, then you could have someone make that style in 6 prong...just a thought. I know Jim Summa makes his own jewelry (hand forges a lot of his items), perhaps he has some ideas as well.

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
Oh no! I'm so sorry. This was the thread I didn't want to see.

I really loved your Vatche. You've worn it (or at least had it!) for a long time now. What, if anything, would you change about it? Do you like the width of the band? The height of the setting? It seems like you'd rather no donut and want 6 prongs, so that will narrow things down a bit.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
mrs taylor|1413431401|3767760 said:
Oh no! I'm so sorry. This was the thread I didn't want to see.

I really loved your Vatche. You've worn it (or at least had it!) for a long time now. What, if anything, would you change about it? Do you like the width of the band? The height of the setting? It seems like you'd rather no donut and want 6 prongs, so that will narrow things down a bit.
Yea I am kinda disappointed as well. I didn't want to be at this point necessarily but a "one shot take it or leave it" kind of option isn't, to me, going to work well given the history.

The width on mine was actually good, I'd have gone even a hair thinner if possible, but it was still good. It went well with my bands. But the height I would've been happier with if it was taller overall. I get that they have this design and felt like it needed to be "this way", but I felt like if I was paying that much money, I should have a little bit of leeway to request even 1mm higher. They were willing to make my shank a hair thinner, made the prongs nice and clawlike, and put my sizing beads in, for which I am extremely grateful. I didn't feel like I was asking for the world , but to get the final product was frustrating for all involved.

LaraOnline|1413456348|3767840 said:
LLJsmom|1413434990|3767787 said:
Ame,

Did you see this setting? I just saw it yesterday, and I am in love with the scalloped basket. LOVE IT!!!

http://www.victorcanera.com/jewelry/engagement-rings/six-prong-pave-solitaire-with-scalloped-basket

It's so gorgeous that I might choose this over a halo by Victor.

What do you think?

Wow!! that is HG material!!!
Yes, I have seen that VC and I actually do not care for that basket at all! (blasphemy, I suppose!) It's too closed off for me (I like to see ALL of my stone!) AND has diamonds on it which I don't really prefer, though I know it can be done without those.

kathley

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
6 prongs, platinum, open, and flush fit... A.Jaffee ME1560.

_23296.jpg

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
kathley|1413465450|3767893 said:
Good option. I think Simons carries the line. I wonder if they'd set it higher so I can see the culet, and how steep it would be in Platinum compared to the price showing on their site in Gold:
http://www.ajaffe.com/classic-6-prong-solitaire-engagement-ring-me1560

There's also these similar BGD options which are nicely priced for Plat, though obviously the donut would make it less flush. However, I assume with the tapered one, the donut isn't as big of a deal since the shank widens away from the stone:

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/tapered-tiffany-style-half-round-platinum-5540p

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/classic-tiffany-style-half-round-platinum-5478p

They did a great job on my studs, and while I haven't inspected them yet, my sister in law just got her bezel wedding bands from them and they are very nice as well.

kathley

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
ame|1413468006|3767909 said:
Good option. I think Simons carries the line. I wonder if they'd set it higher so I can see the culet, and how steep it would be in Platinum compared to the price showing on their site in Gold:

There's also these similar BGD options which are nicely priced for Plat, though obviously the donut would make it less flush. However, I assume with the tapered one, the donut isn't as big of a deal since the shank widens away from the stone:

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/tapered-tiffany-style-half-round-platinum-5540p

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/classic-tiffany-style-half-round-platinum-5478p

They did a great job on my studs, and while I haven't inspected them yet, my sister in law just got her bezel wedding bands from them and they are very nice as well.

I have purchased rings from Simons and he is VERY negotiable on his prices (if you like it, then it is worth asking.) Also, his bench does an outstanding job in setting stones perfectly. I am betting he could set it higher where you could see the culet.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
kathley|1413469144|3767917 said:
ame|1413468006|3767909 said:

I have purchased rings from Simons and he is VERY negotiable on his prices (if you like it, then it is worth asking.) Also, his bench does an outstanding job in setting stones perfectly. I am betting he could set it higher where you could see the culet.
Good to know! Thanks!

kathley

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Also, purchase your Children's Glennon card for $50 and you get 20% off your total purchase (Oct. 24 - Nov. 2)! at the following:
Genovese
Curt Parker
Ylang Ylang
Michael Herr

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
kathley|1413472568|3767950 said:
Also, purchase your Children's Glennon card for $50 and you get 20% off your total purchase (Oct. 24 - Nov. 2)! at the following:
Genovese
Curt Parker
Ylang Ylang
Michael Herr
I don't think Ylang is open yet in their new location? But thanks!

kathley

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
ame|1413472857|3767952 said:
kathley|1413472568|3767950 said:
Genovese
Curt Parker
Ylang Ylang
Michael Herr
I don't think Ylang is open yet in their new location? But thanks!

They are suppose to open up sometime in October. But the sale runs through Nov. 2.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I called Simons about the Jaffe just to get a feel for price. The Jaffe price was good, and they tried to sell me on their custom one, it is similar, better and faster turnaround. She also said they set those in house, that Jaffe doesn't set them, so I'd wait a month for Jaffe to get it to them, then wait for it to be set in house... Then she dropped the bombshell: Final sale, No modifications on the Jaffe, it comes how it comes. And their custom one is the same deal, I can get the custom version from them, but if it isn't what I want when it's done, I am stuck with it. And the saleswoman seemed to really turn on me for asking such questions, like I dared to suggest it might not be meeting my needs. I did say up front I am particular and have had bad luck in the past, so I wanted that out in the open. She was very upbeat about how they could help me fix that, til I asked about the what ifs.

kmarla

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Do you like Tacori? I've recently fallen in love with the Sculpted Crescent 56-2RD65. I can't get the pic to post but it's a very simple but graceful 6-prong that looks like it would allow your bands to sit flush or very close to flush. Good luck with your setting search!

mn_shopaholic

Shiny_Rock
ame|1413488931|3768108 said:
I called Simons about the Jaffe just to get a feel for price. The Jaffe price was good, and they tried to sell me on their custom one, it is similar, better and faster turnaround. She also said they set those in house, that Jaffe doesn't set them, so I'd wait a month for Jaffe to get it to them, then wait for it to be set in house... Then she dropped the bombshell: Final sale, No modifications on the Jaffe, it comes how it comes. And their custom one is the same deal, I can get the custom version from them, but if it isn't what I want when it's done, I am stuck with it. And the saleswoman seemed to really turn on me for asking such questions, like I dared to suggest it might not be meeting my needs. I did say up front I am particular and have had bad luck in the past, so I wanted that out in the open. She was very upbeat about how they could help me fix that, til I asked about the what ifs.

Ame - do you have another Jaffe dealer near you? I'm considering an A Jaffe ring (part of their quilted collection) and was told by the store I’m working with that I could do as much customization as I would like with that setting. I’m not sure which vendor is right as far as A Jaffe and customization of their settings is concerned (or maybe it varies based on setting/collection), but if you like that ring, it could be worth your time to double-check either directly with A Jaffe or with another dealer if that solitaire can be customized at all.

Good luck with your search!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
mn_shopaholic|1413495367|3768163 said:

Ame - do you have another Jaffe dealer near you? I'm considering an A Jaffe ring (part of their quilted collection) and was told by the store I’m working with that I could do as much customization as I would like with that setting. I’m not sure which vendor is right as far as A Jaffe and customization of their settings is concerned (or maybe it varies based on setting/collection), but if you like that ring, it could be worth your time to double-check either directly with A Jaffe or with another dealer if that solitaire can be customized at all.

Good luck with your search!
Thanks!

There is another one locally but I am not a big fan of theirs and I know that when you don't buy the diamond through them, they are less likely to work with you in case of an issue. They carry tons of lines, they're just kind of a hassle for bringing in outside stones. I know the jeweler I went through for the Vatche can get Jaffe but it isn't a line they normally carry.

kathley

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Whenever I go to Simons, I deal with Simon Katz directly. He has always been very accommodating and wants his customers to be 100% satisfied. As a matter of fact, I purchased a ring from him, wore it a month and told him I just wasn't happy with it. He took it back and left me pick out another ring as an even trade! I was never "stuck" with anything that I wasn't happy with. But I always deal with Simon directly. I know Clarkson has Jaffe too, but they are not very friendly to work with... Glenn Betz shows Jaffe on his facebook page, so they might handle the brand as well.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
kathley|1413499482|3768216 said:

Whenever I go to Simons, I deal with Simon Katz directly. He has always been very accommodating and wants his customers to be 100% satisfied. As a matter of fact, I purchased a ring from him, wore it a month and told him I just wasn't happy with it. He took it back and left me pick out another ring as an even trade! I was never "stuck" with anything that I wasn't happy with. But I always deal with Simon directly. I know Clarkson has Jaffe too, but they are not very friendly to work with... Glenn Betz shows Jaffe on his facebook page, so they might handle the brand as well.
Yea I might have to deal with Mr. Katz directly if I go with the Jaffe. I was not pleased with the woman's demeanor with whom I spoke today, and when I asked the questions she had someone feeding her the data from the background and it was insanely obnoxious. I got the distinct impression these two people did not want me to get anything but their custom work and they were annoyed I was asking about the designer piece at all. I ended up contacting Jaffe directly to ask my questions, so I might get a call back from Simon's again following up on that because I did mention that I contacted them to ask and was told things that don't line up with the info on their website.

I don't LOVE this setting, so it's not like a given that I'd go with it but I do like having my ducks in a row. NOTHING has really grabbed me yet.

I want to know all of my options, and all the possible info.

I contacted Jon at GOG about what possibilities of a custom cut for side stones to match my main stone there are, as well, but I think that's going to be beyond the budget constraints.

I asked that my stone be kept in the setting for now, til I figure out what I want, so I don't have a loose stone to contend with til I figure this out. It's not like I've seen anything yet that's been like "YES!"

kathley

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
ame|1413508772|3768288 said:
kathley|1413499482|3768216 said:

Yea I might have to deal with Mr. Katz directly if I go with the Jaffe. I was not pleased with the woman's demeanor with whom I spoke today, and when I asked the questions she had someone feeding her the data from the background and it was insanely obnoxious. I got the distinct impression these two people did not want me to get anything but their custom work and they were annoyed I was asking about the designer piece at all. I ended up contacting Jaffe directly to ask my questions, so I might get a call back from Simon's again following up on that because I did mention that I contacted them to ask and was told things that don't line up with the info on their website.

I don't LOVE this setting, so it's not like a given that I'd go with it but I do like having my ducks in a row. NOTHING has really grabbed me yet.

I want to know all of my options, and all the possible info.

I contacted Jon at GOG about what possibilities of a custom cut for side stones to match my main stone there are, as well, but I think that's going to be beyond the budget constraints.

I asked that my stone be kept in the setting for now, til I figure out what I want, so I don't have a loose stone to contend with til I figure this out. It's not like I've seen anything yet that's been like "YES!"

It makes sense to keep looking and not settle on your ring! Wait until you find "the one"! =)

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was hoping I'd have MY ring back by now but it's still not here. My insurance company wants the estimate and all my associated paperwork (letter of authenticity we got from Vatche, etc, appraisal with images of the Vatche stamp), so they can start the claim part while I figure all this out, but I don't have anything to give them OR any of this figured out. I haven't fallen in love with anything. My brain is in the "I need to have it set into something I like because I need closure" place.

My list right now is this:
http://www.ajaffe.com/classic-6-prong-solitaire-engagement-ring-me1560 (IF I can get a real answer on them setting it high)

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/diamond-faceted-crown-platinum-5687p (not as familiar with the brand)

and perhaps a three stone with darker blue sapphire sides. But that's probably way more than I can swing in the budget, most of the three stone settings I like are in the $1600-$2000 range without factoring in side stones. I considered a three stone with star sides but I am not sure we can get two identically cut stars in a smaller size PLUS a setting in a budget I can handle. Jon is looking into the Star stuff. I haven't seen a lot out of Star lately that's been impressing me. The company that runs them now doesn't seem to cut them as well anymore as I am used to seeing. I think that's a brand GOG should totally take over. Not that he doesn't have enough on his plate.

LittleRiver

Shiny_Rock
ame said:

Just wanted to chime in and say that my ring has a donut and tapered shank as well, and the rings absolutely do sit flush on the underside. (I'm not suggesting it for you as I see you've already considered MWM.) That first setting is a steal in PLT!

...and I just went back to ogle pics of your stack. :love: :love: :love: I just started the hunt for a diamond band myself. :naughty:

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I look very forward to seeing which band you choose!!! I wanted a Tiffany "solstice" band but they didn't have one til of course this year...but that's still on my mind. That or similar.

My ring is back at the local jewelers. I asked that they do go ahead and unset it. I am looking into getting the inscription redone bec it was kind of impossible to see after all the resets, and then I will just have it locked up til I make a decision. I was going to keep it set but the inscription thing is something I'd like to do if it needs it and that will be something that has to be done loose... When they took the stone out they discovered that the prongs were really, really thin. That's kind of scary!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I picked up my setting and diamond tonight and I am REALLY upset that somehow my inscription--clearly shown HERE in one of the photos that GOG took of my stone for the diamond's "listing" and for my appraisal--is completely gone from the girdle. Totally gone. The stone inclusions look to be right, the cut is right, everything looks right, but it's GONE. I am 99.9% sure it's my stone, so that's not really my concern, but the fact that my inscription is gone is really bothersome. I knew it was not easily visible when we got the last setting back, but I hoped it was under a prong. Two jewelers have inspected this under high magnification (one used 100x) and the latter with the highest magnification said they saw something that might have been an inscription but it was so hardly visible that they weren't sure. HOW would slash could this be removed from a diamond!? I don't get it.

I am awaiting word from Jon at GOG on getting this inscription redone since it's loose now.

800+ views and so few posts?!

amestarinsc.jpg

Diamondbug

Brilliant_Rock
Have no idea about the inscription...kinda scary, thought it would always be there to prove that it is your stone. How can it be gone just like it was erased with an eraser? Hope someone from the trade can enlighten us as to what happened. Anyways, please keep us updated on what you find out from Jon and have fun shopping for THE setting.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks! We kinda want to know what happened as well. I know it was there when we originally sent the stone there for the original setting.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results