shape
carat
color
clarity

Sent my rings in for repair today...

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just dropped my rings off to be sent in for repairs after my car accident last month. Being that it happened just before the high holy days and my brother's wedding was this past Saturday, I held on to them so I could at least wear them during the wedding and not have them sitting untouched for two weeks during the holy weeks.

The Tiffany seems like it should be ok and really not much to do besides a polish and inspection. The folks in the store said they didn't detect much with that one, there's a slight flat spot on the one side, right near the channel and really, onto the top of the channel, so hopefully NYC doesn't see any issues with the channels when they review. The girl who took the ring in asked how old it was since there were "no signs of any wear" (I know, I know) and she could barely identify the issue til I drew on it. I told her I almost never wear my rings due to my profession, and it would figure that I finally wear them and get into a car wreck... We were detailed in the paperwork so they knew what to look at.

My ering however...not so good. We're sending it in to Vatche. That's a bit out of round, flattened a bit on one side. That took the brunt of the stress in that accident evidently. So I am a little concerned about that one being a pain in the rear. Hopefully Vatche doesn't find any serious issues with it.

Neither ring has any loose stones, thankfully. We tested for that at home and the jewelers. So hopefully they can be taken care of quickly and return them good as new.

I couldn't get any decent images because light reflections make the flatness impossible to detect, but in person it's REALLY obvious on the eng ring. We were trying to get photos in the jewelry store on the dark flocked tray as well but they wouldn't work with the lights bouncing off the metal.

This one is the best I can get but it's not really a straight on shot of the ering bec the head has it tilted. The LEFT side of the rings.

10711024_10203648346661661_847013829234834126_n.jpg

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can't see the damage from the pics.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire|1412752376|3764115 said:
Can't see the damage from the pics.
I know that, I said so in the post.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Ame!

Glad YOU are ok! {Hugs}

I hope you dont mind my asking, but In this situation where the rings were damaged in a car accident, will the repairs be covered out of your pocket? Jewelry insurance? The other party's insurance?

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
PintoBean|1412788819|3764349 said:
Hi Ame!

Glad YOU are ok! {Hugs}

I hope you dont mind my asking, but In this situation where the rings were damaged in a car accident, will the repairs be covered out of your pocket? Jewelry insurance? The other party's insurance?
Thanks!

Most likely out of pocket. I am hoping they're not really big ticket. If they're to the point of "you need to replace them" then I will likely see what my ring insurance covers. I know that my car insurance likely would not cover this without the deductible.

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
It's so disorienting to be without your wedding set. I hope they're back fast. I am really sorry to hear about the accident. I am glad you're not worse off but geez. Rings are not something you even really think about getting damaged in that way. Is your hand okay?

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
mrs taylor|1412809248|3764522 said:
It's so disorienting to be without your wedding set. I hope they're back fast. I am really sorry to hear about the accident. I am glad you're not worse off but geez. Rings are not something you even really think about getting damaged in that way. Is your hand okay?
Yea my hands are fine, thank you! They were actually sore muscularly for a few days, just from the grip I think. I walked away with just crazy bruising and whiplash and that's really all one can ask for! The seatbelt got me good, but it did its job!

I don't wear them all that often ( :naughty: ) but knowing they're not HERE is driving me insane. Not knowing what will happen when the manufacturers get their hands on them, not knowing if there's anything lurking within that we didn't catch in our own reviews.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I got my estimate from Tiffany today for my band, and my repairs will be $122.73 with tax. They have to correct the dent which happens to hit right at the end of the channel (well aware of that, I was super ticked when I detected the damage!) and while no stones appear to be loose they have to correct the channels related to the dent on that end to keep the stones secure. If that is all I am paying and it looks good as new after I will be satisfied. She said it will also be polished, which is awesome--I haven't had it polished since i bought it, though I never wear my rings so it probably barely needs it. I am a little anxious about it not looking as good as new, but hopefully it will look good as new.

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
ame|1412968545|3765540 said:
I got my estimate from Tiffany today for my band, and my repairs will be $122.73 with tax. They have to correct the dent which happens to hit right at the end of the channel (well aware of that, I was super ticked when I detected the damage!) and while no stones appear to be loose they have to correct the channels related to the dent on that end to keep the stones secure. If that is all I am paying and it looks good as new after I will be satisfied. She said it will also be polished, which is awesome--I haven't had it polished since i bought it, though I never wear my rings so it probably barely needs it. I am a little anxious about it not looking as good as new, but hopefully it will look good as new.

I have no doubt it will. That's exactly why it's worth sending it back to Tiffany. The price is fantastic for peace of mind.

I am very glad your hands weren't damaged. Fingers crossed for good news on the Vatche!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you!!! I was hoping that I'd hear today about the Vatche but no luck. Perhaps Tuesday.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ame|1412968545|3765540 said:
That sounds OK, not bad at all... :appl:

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Got word about the Vatche. My options are less favorable than those at Tiffany.

1) They can polish it to make it more even visually, but it will likely not be symmetrical. It will suffice temporarily as long as the stone is secure.

or

2) Remake it at my cost (or via insurance cost), but Vatche will only do so one time, meaning if I am displeased with the outcome of the remake (as I was when it was originally made), I am stuck with it.

Given that I wasn't particularly happy with this setting's workmanship originally, and I don't really like the "you're stuck with it" option, I don't know that I will go with option 2. I hadn't honestly expected that a remake may be an option, but I probably should've prepared better for it. I knew it was out of round, but in my head, the logical answer of "that's beyond repair" never sunk in. I know that photo is totally not helpful above but it's NOT indicative of reality at all. I wish I had a good one.

I did contact my insurance rep just to see what options I have as far as a claim--to see if it's worth claiming. I'd prefer NOT to claim it, but I also don't want to be out a lot of money if I have to replace it, Vatche or elsewhere.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my Ame, I am so sorry you were in a car accident and thank goodness you are OK! I am sorry about your ring and I agree those are not great options Vatche is giving you. Why won't they stand behind their work? I mean, if they remake it they should want you to be pleased with the final ring right? It's not a good business model otherwise. I am hoping you will be happy with whatever option you choose and that it all works out in the end. So glad you are OK!!!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
missy|1413317283|3767031 said:
Oh my Ame, I am so sorry you were in a car accident and thank goodness you are OK! I am sorry about your ring and I agree those are not great options Vatche is giving you. Why won't they stand behind their work? I mean, if they remake it they should want you to be pleased with the final ring right? It's not a good business model otherwise. I am hoping you will be happy with whatever option you choose and that it all works out in the end. So glad you are OK!!!
Thank you!

The first time around took several tries, and we were all pretty exasperated by the end. I think they were hoping to be done with me. It made the holiday rush a giant headache for all involved. They're probably trying to prevent that cycle from happening again and I don't entirely blame them. They have probably had very few instances where it wasn't a one and done situation with the customer being happy on the first go.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd do the polish only, but that's just me. We hit the big 20th tomorrow and in those 20 years my rings do have some birthmarks for various "events!" Best of luck and glad your'e OK!

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock
Oh Ame

I'm so sorry about your accident. I am very glad you are safe but your poor rings. :blackeye:

I'd go with the re polish. I think the thought of being stuck with any custom item, without recourse, would be enough to make me hate it before I had even received it.

The main reason though is because I think, one day, you will likely upgrade. I think Jonathan will tempt you with something spectacular and you'll go for it. :Up_to_something:

So live with the Vatche, albeit, re polished, with a view to the future.

Good luck. You are always so helpful to others on their diamond quests, you deserve a big bucket of bling dust!! :wavey:

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
susimoo|1413339983|3767196 said:
Oh Ame

I'm so sorry about your accident. I am very glad you are safe but your poor rings. :blackeye:

I'd go with the re polish. I think the thought of being stuck with any custom item, without recourse, would be enough to make me hate it before I had even received it.

The main reason though is because I think, one day, you will likely upgrade. I think Jonathan will tempt you with something spectacular and you'll go for it. :Up_to_something:

Good luck. You are always so helpful to others on their diamond quests, you deserve a big bucket of bling dust!! :wavey:
Aww thanks! It would figure the one day all month I wear the things this happened... But we'll see. One day a stone might come along that I can actually pay for HAH!

:think: I probably should wait and see what my insurance rep thinks in regards to a claim. She might want me to do neither actually.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
ame|1413342150|3767208 said:
susimoo|1413339983|3767196 said:
Oh Ame

Aww thanks! It would figure the one day all month I wear the things this happened... But we'll see. One day a stone might come along that I can actually pay for HAH!

:think: I probably should wait and see what my insurance rep thinks in regards to a claim. She might want me to do neither actually.
The "neither" option is the correct answer for the claim. We are going to ask that Vatche just return it intact, and the we'll take the stone out and send it in to Chubb with the replacement estimate.

Then I need to figure out what to set the stone in.

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock
Well

It looks like you are all set to go on another diamond journey! :appl:

Has anything caught your eye recently? How about asking Jonathan for his opinion. He has a good eye for setting his diamonds. :love:

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
susimoo|1413413950|3767633 said:
Well

It looks like you are all set to go on another diamond journey! :appl:

Has anything caught your eye recently? How about asking Jonathan for his opinion. He has a good eye for setting his diamonds. :love:
Seriously, NOTHING has. I see things that I think "that's gorgeous" but they are not practical for my life. Not that I ever wear anything on my hands...but still. I have not asked him yet actually. I right now am just trying to get the setting handled as far as insurance, and my band handled. I am considering sending my stone to him for proper inspection and to see if I can get my inscription redone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results