shape
carat
color
clarity

So spill! How many times have you upgraded/will you upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/25/2008 4:54:00 PM
Author: HollyS

Date: 8/25/2008 3:54:03 PM
Author: CrookedRock
No upgrading for me! That was our deal when we bought my stone. Fine by me... I get really sentimentally attached to these things anyway.
What I wouldn''t mind though.... A downgrade. Yup, a downgrade!
3.gif
I don''t wear my ring all the time bc of its size and how fragile it is... I would love a 2ct Asscher set really low for more everyday wear. Probably a few years away though...
That''s actually kind of funny! I''ve thought the same thing, but mine is at least a couple of carats smaller than yours!

Well, you know, when it has its own zip code . . . .
And I imagine the eye strain from all that flash and fire. . . .
And heavy; I''ll bet your hand is hard to hold up after awhile . . .

9.gif
LOL... I swear it''s not heavy at all. It''s really dainty actually. It''s just that its, well... Big.
Let''s work on those downgrades! I would personally never be able to get rid of my original ering though, but I don''t have a problem with getting another one!
3.gif
9.gif
27.gif

LuckyTexan

Brilliant_Rock
No upgrading for me! That was our deal when we bought my stone. Fine by me... I get really sentimentally attached to these things anyway.
What I wouldn''t mind though.... A downgrade. Yup, a downgrade!
3.gif
I don''t wear my ring all the time bc of its size and how fragile it is... I would love a 2ct Asscher set really low for more everyday wear. Probably a few years away though...
I have actually wondered about the fragility of your ring... because of the fine shanks... I''d still wear it all the time though! Your ring is awesome!

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Getting back on track with the original question...... we got engaged and married with 14K gold because it was in style then AND it was cost effective. I have always hoped to reset my wedding set in platinum one day and I know it wouldn''t bother my husband one little bit. "If" we have the money to bump up my stone a wee bit in the reset process? Great! because I didn''t get engaged with that stone anyway. I got engaged with a piddling CZ in my present diamond mounting. I would always keep my present wedding set anyway for sentimental reasons. I''d love to buy a nice tanzanite to take the diamond''s place and switch it to my right hand. It would really make a killer RHR.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
No upgrades yet, we''ve only been married since July 4th.

However, I''m not sentimental about my engagement ring and I imagine that if I ever find myself lusting after a new diamond or setting, I''ll be looking for some help with an upgrade project.

I know a lot of women who have upgraded, and I think the best thing about it is that they often save their original stones for their sons or daughters to use in their engagement ring. Awww.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Okay, so I''m not sure I completely "belong" in here, having no e-ring to speak of (or even one in the works!) but I''m super sentimental. I really want my e-ring to be the one I have forever. Now, I''m not opposed to anniversary rings, or a ring to celebrate a big occasion within life/the relationship, but it would have to be in addition to the e-ring, not in place of it.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
My engagement ring is a beautiful piece of jewelry that tells the world that I am taken (back off boys, get your own sandwich
3.gif
).

So really, I could wear anything on that finger and my hubby would be okay with it! Neither one of us attaches any particular sentiment to specific setting or the specific stone, we just want there to be some sort of ring on my finger! I don't wear any other jewelery, so we choose to put all our "sparklies" money into my rings. I've changed my e-ring a couple times in the three years since I've owned it, I'll change in many more time in the years to come.

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
Nope, I''m on my 3rd RE-SET, but with the original diamond. I love my last reset. It''s 2.5 years old & I like it more now than I did when I got it (and I LOVED IT). So I think I finally found the right "look" for my diamond & hand. LOL.

But dh is sentimental & attached to my stone. He''s a sap like that. He''d die if I ever wanted to upgrade. I think he''d trade ME in instead!!! However, he is not opposed to a fabulous blue sapphire RHR, or a funky old mine cut diamond rhr. If I ever wanted to "bling up" I think something like Kaleigh''s Leon Oval w/half moon sides for a rhr would be just fine!

I can handle that much bling. I''m strong. LOL.

milku

Rough_Rock
I just did my first upgrade for 20th anniversary. I love my new stone.

Some said the reason for their upgrade was the previous stone was broken. That''s scary. How would a diamond easily be broken? I''d like to know how to prevent it and what''s the best insurance if it does happen?

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/25/2008 4:58:38 PM

Date: 8/25/2008 4:54:00 PM
Author: HollyS

What I wouldn't mind though.... A downgrade. Yup, a downgrade!
3.gif
I don't wear my ring all the time bc of its size and how fragile it is... I would love a 2ct Asscher set really low for more everyday wear. Probably a few years away though...
That's actually kind of funny! I've thought the same thing, but mine is at least a couple of carats smaller than yours!

Well, you know, when it has its own zip code . . . .
And I imagine the eye strain from all that flash and fire. . . .
And heavy; I'll bet your hand is hard to hold up after awhile . . .

9.gif
LOL... I swear it's not heavy at all. It's really dainty actually. It's just that its, well... Big.
Let's work on those downgrades! I would personally never be able to get rid of my original ering though, but I don't have a problem with getting another one!
3.gif
9.gif
27.gif
So I'm not the only one? I would love a downgrade additional as well! My ideal wedding band (to be worn alone) would be a single 1-1.5 carat stone set in a tension setting or Elsa Peretti style bezel. Sort of like a simple wedding band but with bling. I'd wear that everywhere!

CrookedRock, are you going to wear a w-band with your gorgeous e-ring? I can't! And in a way, I'm kind of happy about it. I like wearing just one ring on that finger. Maybe I'll wear the wedding band on my right hand, though after I put on one ring... I think it's too much weighing me down. Maybe I'm getting old! Can't stand too much stuff on my skin.
41.gif

Begood

Rough_Rock
Before we got married, I wanted a simple band but my DH wanted to get a one carat solitaire for value (cash/trade in) purposes. We didn''t have the money at the time we got married so I was wearing a band for about a year until DH said I could begin the hunt for my one carat. Being new to the whole bling experience, I was caught up on the color and clarity and got a 1.05 D VVS2. Well, I fell in love with the sparkle but suddenly I was hit with the shrinkage bug. I upgraded once by getting a larger stone (3.02); several grades lower in color (J) and clarity (SI1). I absolutely love my upgrade and probably will upgrade my solitaire again in another 5 years. If not another upgrade, I might consider adding a different shape or color diamond to my collection. If I don''t have a chance to upgrade or add to my collection, I will just have to drool and admire all the beautiful rings that have been posted on pricescope by all you wonderful and cheerful ladies.

minebender

Rough_Rock
Quote from sparkleys:

oh my goodness, i just got caught reading this by my husband after explaing to him what this particular thread was about, I''ve just been informed it will be my last. good thing i have lots of door knobs in my house
11.gif

LOL!
9.gif
Oh, how deliciously evil of you...
27.gif
31.gif

somehowcollide

Brilliant_Rock
I am extremely open to upgrades, and hope for many!

..wait, does upgrading mean you have to give up one stone for the other?
27.gif

Futuremrss

Shiny_Rock
Upgrade what? Upgrade my man for the pool boy? ...what? No..I am kidding you Girls!

Seriously, we dated for a very long time and were best friends before all of that. He knew me inside and out. He knew I would get pleasure out of mixing and matching rings and bands. He loves that I have a hobby. Well, he wishes it was a little cheaper hobby, but he enjoys that I am interested in something. He calls it passion and he says it makes me all the more interesting. So...upgrade? Not all the time...sometimes it is a lateral move...my wedding band is special because it belonged to my Great Grandmother. His belonged to his father. He would not think of strapping me down with one ring. No feelings are hurt over here.

He is my soul mate...ring or no ring.

In fact he likes that I rotate my rings...every now and then he will say..."you have not worn the sapphire in a while. Is it still around?" He likes for me to bring certain ones out from time to time.

Futuremrss

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/26/2008 7:46:14 PM
Author: Asscherhalo_lover
not always...lol!

Yeah...some people just take that first stone and make it a sidestone...hay!

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/22/2008 9:37:01 PM
Author: UCLABelle

As for the rings-I don't seek out changes in rings, rather I seem to find (after a little while) what it is that I truly like and/or dislike with a ring. It takes being on my finger for a while for someone like me to determine whether or not it is the right ring. This is my method, each person has their own. Some people get really lucky and are happy forever with their ring. And for some people, a ring should not be changed (or not changed often), for me (personally) I see no issue with working to get it 100% (or at least 99% right
2.gif
).

I will not doubt that when I got each ring I was probably very happy! I was! Especially the Emerald Cut (it is a GREAT center stone!). And it is true that I always felt the Legacy was pure perfection (as is the HW micropave and rings of similar design...oh and DF's ring...oh and the Hope Diamond!). However, I really felt the EC was the one! Until my hatred for trilliants next to the EC set in
29.gif
and the height off my finger (which is just too high for daily use!).

Perhaps my MAJOR problem, is that each ring I have had, I did not try on before getting (most were bought online). I have learned my lesson!!

I find my changes are all issues of design, quality or fit (style) and never see it as a change for the sake of change. For me, it is difficult to find the perfect ring (maybe, one does not exist!). However, I have definitely (with experience!) narrowed it down
31.gif
---once again, for me :)
Wish I had time to go thru this whole thread, but I read this and thought, so much of what you said here is true of me as well. ESPECIALLY the part about having to wear it on my finger before I can really be sure. If I ever made another such purchase, it will have to be something I can wear with at least a 30-day return policy. I am just not quick like some folks to know what I like or don't right off the bat (especially when I first got engaged - had NEVER given engagement ring styles a thought). In some ways I wish my DH had just picked a ring for me before he proposed. I think he would have picked something beautiful, and I would have loved it because he picked it.

lasscreative

Shiny_Rock
If I was to upgrade! I would either:
__just reset the stone
__Use my original stone as a side stone
__or keep ring as engagement ring and just have another diamond ring!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results