shape
carat
color
clarity

So quiet on this forum..but, I have small question

Staceyjan

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Are we waiting to see what is new from HK?

Since I decided to keep the silver akoyas (size 8.5-9) so you think I should purchase silver akoya earrings? If so, any suggestions? I do not think that I can go beyond 10.5-11. I only have white akoyas that are 8.5 and I know that they do not match and would want to go bigger.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
10.5 is a very large Akoya pearl. You may want to consider natural color South Sea pearls; Kevin at Pearls of Joy often has blue-toned SS.

I often wear my silver-blue Akoyas with white gold earrings, if you want to hold off on buying pearl earrings. And, diamond earrings go with everything.

I've been waiting to see if there are any sales for the holiday 4th, but I haven't heard a peep.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Akoyas bigger than 9.5mm are exceedingly rare (and expensive).

I've been waiting to see what the upcoming summer sales are too. Usually PP has a number of interesting summer sales. Historically these have included a general sale in July where a mix of (often one of a kind) things are offered. There has also been Tahitian sales (often in August), connoisseur sales (these tend to be in September) where one of a kind higher-end things are offered, and October has historically had the whole site offered at a % discount (usually 15%).

The other vendors also often offer interesting pieces right after returning from Hong Kong, so it pays to keep your eye (and budgetary options) open.

And I'm not sure why this forum has dropped off. I think a lot of long-time members went elsewhere. People also seem to be buying less. It's too bad, because I always thought of this as the 'consumer' site where we talk freely about various vendor experiences and show our purchases, which is always fun.

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
When are the Hong Kong trips?

I've been on pricescope's diamond forums for years, but just started getting into pearls.

I also noticed it seems quiet here! lol

Anne

Staceyjan

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I am not in a rush to get them so I will keep my fingers crossed for upcoming sales.

I was looking at a dangling pair with diamonds but the diamonds look very small and maybe need to look at mod shots from this site.

POJ and Erin from PP both went to Hong Kong these last two weeks. I am not sure of their return date and how long it takes to post new finds on their sites.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
anne_h|1467486058|4050857 said:
When are the Hong Kong trips?

I've been on pricescope's diamond forums for years, but just started getting into pearls.

I also noticed it seems quiet here! lol

Anne

They're on right now. Kevin has been posting blogs. PP sometimes does as well, but not this year so far.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Not sure if there are any other factors but I'm on forums for a couple of different non-jewelry things too and they're all quiet. Maybe people are just doing other things in the summer.

Yes, 10.5-11mm would be very large for akoya pearls. Maybe you could send a pic of your strand to the vendors and ask if they have any that are at least 8.5mm that match it. If smaller studs would be too plain for you, you could always have them set in a dangly settings. Or as has been mentioned, ask if they have any SS pearls that are similar in color, if you're okay with a less than exact match.

Really, you better just send them to me hahaha. :p

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
This forum is super quiet these days, I've given up on starting threads here. Most people seem to have moved to the other forum.

A pair of silver akoyas like your strand would look amazing. Normal White Akoya with silver overtones will still appear white on the ear and you already have white studs. Or how about a pair of Silver Tahitians if you'd prefer a larger size?

Staceyjan

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Siameseroo|1467528470|4050967 said:
This forum is super quiet these days, I've given up on starting threads here. Most people seem to have moved to the other forum.

A pair of silver akoyas like your strand would look amazing. Normal White Akoya with silver overtones will still appear white on the ear and you already have white studs. Or how about a pair of Silver Tahitians if you'd prefer a larger size?
Great idea! I was also thinking of a dangle style, too. I love the way a pair of hug flies look w the pearl hanging from them.

Staceyjan

Shiny_Rock
Premium
seaurchin|1467523205|4050962 said:
Not sure if there are any other factors but I'm on forums for a couple of different non-jewelry things too and they're all quiet. Maybe people are just doing other things in the summer.

Yes, 10.5-11mm would be very large for akoya pearls. Maybe you could send a pic of your strand to the vendors and ask if they have any that are at least 8.5mm that match it. If smaller studs would be too plain for you, you could always have them set in a dangly settings. Or as has been mentioned, ask if they have any SS pearls that are similar in color, if you're okay with a less than exact match.

Really, you better just send them to me hahaha. :p

Seaurchin, I think you need to decide for me! Any particular dangle styles that you prefer?

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually don't think that akoya come in a size larger than 10 mm, and I seem to recall Ashley saying something along the lines of even 10 mm being very rare and needing to be special ordered.

Your silver necklace from POJ is 7.5 - 8mm, right? You could go for larger (9 or 9.5 mm studs) without much trouble finding some (I know for sure PP has some; maybe Kevin does as well). For more impact, you could do dangle earrings like SeaUrchin has suggested. BAS (on the other forum) has a pair of double pearl dangles (in the duet finding) that you might want to look at. Or I've also always loved Pure Pearl's Royal dangle earrings (for fancy wear, not for every day). Maybe Ashley could do something with blue akoyas for you. Or PP has a bunch of earring setting and are happy to do custom work with pearls of any type with any type of finding. For the best match you may want to send your necklace in. They're happy to do that as well (as are most of the other vendors). Or Kevin is still in Hong Kong I think. You could email him to see if he can look for something special for you to match your strand.

As for here...I think there are still a bunch of us lurking. So I'd encourage people to start threads with abandon! I don't happen to have anything new to post or I would. My WSS were my last purchase and I've been trying to be a bit more considered in my purchases these days (as a newbie I went a bit wild and bought a TON of less expensive pieces that I don't tend to wear much anymore now, so I'm holding to my self-imposed vow to really think about what I want before buying rather than impulse buying stuff). As an example, I have been SOOOO good not buying myself a baroque WSS strand in PP's June sale...(because I have my smooth drop strand after all).

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Stacey, the kind of dangles I like are first, wires not posts because I like to talk on the phone and er, lie down a lot, and the posts dig into my head. Also, now I ask about thicker wires because sometimes the standard is a thin wire that gives the earrings a flimsy, cheap look. And I do like me some diamonds, too. I'm thinking maybe longer earrings would look more elegant with smaller earring pearls. Something like this, perhaps?

https://www.pearlparadise.com/p-3616-duet-collection-freshadama-pearl-and-diamond-earrings.aspx

With these pearls?
https://www.pearlparadise.com/p-3976-90-95-mm-blue-akoya-pearl-stud-earrings.aspx

Or, as cmd said you could just go with silver Tahitians. I don't worry about an exact match. There's enough room between the neck and the head that I don't find a small difference very noticeable. And even if it is, I feel like unmatchy-matchy is a little edgier than the boxed set look anyway. All just my opinion, of course!

Also, just wondering... for those who wear French hook style earrings, do you use one of those little clear plastic plug things on the back of the wire? I do, because I'm always afraid I'll lose one, even though it doesn't seem all that likely that it would work its way out of my ear. The little plugs usually come with the earrings but I have never known if the intent was for you to wear them or if they're just to keep the earrings on the card pre-sale. Anyone?

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Also, oops, I just bought some 11-12mm white metallic studs from POJ but it was an accident and Stacey's fault anyway. That is my story and I'm sticking to it.

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
Sea urchin - I wear the little plastic stoppers with my French hooks too. I'm pretty sure they are for wearing! I do feel that my earrings are more secure with the stoppers on.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
seaurchin|1467574345|4051099 said:
Also, oops, I just bought some 11-12mm white metallic studs from POJ but it was an accident and Stacey's fault anyway. That is my story and I'm sticking to it.

Totally not your fault. Mouse slips happen after all. I got a pair after the last buying trip and like them a lot. My only issue is that they highlight my ear/piercing asymmetry (not sure which is to blame). I'm sure no one notices but me though.

I only have one pair of plastic stops for French wire earrings. I wear them because the pearls are largish. I can't say I've ever had a problem losing shepherd hook earrings without them, but I use them just in case. I snug them up behind my ears to keep the earring centered as they hang further forward with the larger pearls than most others do.

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
I love my PoJ metallics! Can't wait to see yours seaurchin!

Staceyjan

Shiny_Rock
Premium
seaurchin|1467574345|4051099 said:

So funny but happy that I can be somewhat of a help to get this thread moving again! We know we will soon see Searchin's mod pics of her new earrings! Can't wait to see them.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions!

Staceyjan

Shiny_Rock
Premium
cmd2014|1467559054|4051023 said:
I actually don't think that akoya come in a size larger than 10 mm, and I seem to recall Ashley saying something along the lines of even 10 mm being very rare and needing to be special ordered.

Your silver necklace from POJ is 7.5 - 8mm, right? You could go for larger (9 or 9.5 mm studs) without much trouble finding some (I know for sure PP has some; maybe Kevin does as well). For more impact, you could do dangle earrings like SeaUrchin has suggested. BAS (on the other forum) has a pair of double pearl dangles (in the duet finding) that you might want to look at. Or I've also always loved Pure Pearl's Royal dangle earrings (for fancy wear, not for every day). Maybe Ashley could do something with blue akoyas for you. Or PP has a bunch of earring setting and are happy to do custom work with pearls of any type with any type of finding. For the best match you may want to send your necklace in. They're happy to do that as well (as are most of the other vendors). Or Kevin is still in Hong Kong I think. You could email him to see if he can look for something special for you to match your strand.

As for here...I think there are still a bunch of us lurking. So I'd encourage people to start threads with abandon! I don't happen to have anything new to post or I would. My WSS were my last purchase and I've been trying to be a bit more considered in my purchases these days (as a newbie I went a bit wild and bought a TON of less expensive pieces that I don't tend to wear much anymore now, so I'm holding to my self-imposed vow to really think about what I want before buying rather than impulse buying stuff). As an example, I have been SOOOO good not buying myself a baroque WSS strand in PP's June sale...(because I have my smooth drop strand after all).

Yes, you are correct the strand is 7.5-8 mm. I am going to check out BAS's earrings and look into Pure Pearl's , too. Thank you for the suggestions!

I wish PP posted a new sale, hopefully soon.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They will. They always lag a day or two (or a few) after the beginning of the new month to switch over the sales. I think they do a first Tuesday of the month switch-over typically.

I have to admit that I am hemming about two things: 1) maybe I need a WSS pendant to go with my earring/strand set. I love the frost setting, the posh setting, and the aura one. 2) I'm still eyeing a ringed baroque strand. I think I would wear a pendant more, but the prices are comparable.

I should be good though...I did just replace my iPad. It was 8 years old and starting to crash. I like the new one and all, but I have to admit that it feels darn near identical to my old one (only a bit smaller and lighter and the screen is a tiny bit more matte). It's robbing me a bit of my joy. At least when I upgrade my iphone my cameras improve exponentially. All the better for pearl selfies! Plus, I know there will be other sales coming (and I always do this...I blow my budget with impulse purchases before the other sales come and then can't partake).

Frost Me

Brilliant_Rock
seaurchin|1467574208|4051098 said:
Also, just wondering... for those who wear French hook style earrings, do you use one of those little clear plastic plug things on the back of the wire? I do, because I'm always afraid I'll lose one, even though it doesn't seem all that likely that it would work its way out of my ear. The little plugs usually come with the earrings but I have never known if the intent was for you to wear them or if they're just to keep the earrings on the card pre-sale. Anyone?

Yes I am looking for my plastic plugs today!

I recently purchased these freshwater drops from TJMaxx. I don't have any drops and they are 10mm x 12mm approx, I thought they were nice shape and very clean on a 14k gold yellow wire. I am so surprised that on my right ear one of the drops has fallen out 4 times over the last week. I have never worn a french wire,but I like them. They are very thin. I have to dig up my plastic plugs.

Frost Me

Brilliant_Rock
img_4155_0.jpg

I use to really enjoy this forum much more in the past than now. I am not sure what happen, doesn't seem like much pearl buying
and pearl girls wanting to post. I liked it as a reference for viewing pearls, but many of the threads are removed or altered. I like the simple format of seeing all the threads on all pearls. Sad :cry:

YIKES! SeaUrchin I see the 11 to 12 Metallics on the POJ site. So tempting, I have 10MM I love.....but tempting gosh! :wall:

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sweet drops FrostMe! They look fantastic!

I'm sad that people packed up and moved to the other forum. It seems weird to me to post pictures of purchases and discuss our thoughts about vendors over there given that those same vendors own and run the site (and are involved with moderating and posting). I miss how lively it used to be here. All the excitement over sales, seeing pictures, drooling over things I hadn't realized I wanted. It was fun.

Maybe we need to launch a "show me your collection" thread, even though we might not have new things to show.

BWeaves

Shiny_Rock
Raises hand and bows head in shame. Yes, I moved over to the other forum because it's easier to post photos over there, and the quality of the photos are better over there. And the pearl vendors also post over there, so there is more knowledge for answering questions. Plus, I got tired of posting in both places, so I just post over there now.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Lovely drops, FrostMe. I'll have to check out TJ Maxx.

I don't usually post the same photos on both forums because I figure most of us visit both of them anyway. This forum is easier for me to post on though, simply because my password stays so I don't have to look it up. Wow, that's lazy. :p

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I seem to have trouble posting pictures on the other forum, although they do look better over there. Mainly I'm just sad that we used to be a pretty active forum over here and it seems to have died. I remember coming as a newbie and this forum gave me the courage to make my first (of many) online purchases. And the sale threads used to be so fun! I miss that. Although I'm probably getting way more work done. :))

BWeaves

Shiny_Rock
I still come here. I just don't post photos in both places anymore.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
cmd2014|1467482681|4050848 said:
Akoyas bigger than 9.5mm are exceedingly rare (and expensive).

I've been waiting to see what the upcoming summer sales are too. Usually PP has a number of interesting summer sales. Historically these have included a general sale in July where a mix of (often one of a kind) things are offered. There has also been Tahitian sales (often in August), connoisseur sales (these tend to be in September) where one of a kind higher-end things are offered, and October has historically had the whole site offered at a % discount (usually 15%).

The other vendors also often offer interesting pieces right after returning from Hong Kong, so it pays to keep your eye (and budgetary options) open.

And I'm not sure why this forum has dropped off. I think a lot of long-time members went elsewhere. People also seem to be buying less. It's too bad, because I always thought of this as the 'consumer' site where we talk freely about various vendor experiences and show our purchases, which is always fun.

The forum dropped off because forum members were banned and those who know have moved on to a forum that lets you say anything and show anything you want to.....

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was going to point out the same thing. The censorship has been disheartening and most of the regulars felt that the forum was no longer the happy care-free place it used to be. So they moved on. It makes me so sad ;(

I've tried starting threads here but there's so little enthusiasm it doesn't seem worth it.

That said, I think threads such as cmd's "Show us your collection" can only help generate interest.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
baby nurse|1468118894|4053828 said:
I was going to point out the same thing. The censorship has been disheartening and most of the regulars felt that the forum was no longer the happy care-free place it used to be. So they moved on. It makes me so sad ;(

I've tried starting threads here but there's so little enthusiasm it doesn't seem worth it.

That said, I think threads such as cmd's "Show us your collection" can only help generate interest.

I've noticed it too. I keep hoping that things can turn around though.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results