shape
carat
color
clarity

So my Jeff White sapphire is all boxed up.....just gotta figure out who to send it to....some feedba

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DianaBanana

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for all the posts ladies....I think I was overly optimistic about the time frame for getting this sucker completed! Despite what you might assume, Leon doesn''t really want to take your stone and "just make it beautiful"! He wants you to have a clear idea of what you want before he moves forward so all of my random ideas have held up the process a little!
9.gif
. He''s going to make the head of the ring first and then see how much room we have to put in a little gallery detail.

One more thing to note, Leon doesn''t automatically use single cut diamonds for his pave work, he says I can have them if I want them but for the size of melee we''re going to use (1.2 - 1.5mm), he says I don''t need them. When I hear stuff like that, it makes me want them!

So, my question for you today is....should I go with single cut or full cut melee? There aren''t too many examples of single cut on PS but Gypsy''s ring is one and it is gorgeous!

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
What is single cut melee?

DianaBanana

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/18/2009 1:06:03 PM
Author: stepcutgirl
What is single cut melee?
Single cuts are diamonds that only have 16 facets as opposed to 58 facets on a full cut diamond....the theory being that you see bigger flashes of light from the single cut as the facets are larger. Here are a couple of threads that make for interesting reading:

PS pave thread

Leon''s micropave article

Link to Gypsy''s ring thread

You learn something new every day, right?
1.gif

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Wow! I''d say go for the single cuts if you can afford it!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Reading and seeing THIS might help you decide
2.gif

DianaBanana

Shiny_Rock
Great article Ma Re....thank you!! Single cuts it is
2.gif

icekid

Ideal_Rock
So glad things are going smoothly with Leon! All of the ideas look lovely.

Single cut melee also sounds lovely
30.gif
Is the price difference significant?

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
sooo, DB, any news?
3.gif

LS

DianaBanana

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for thinking of me LS!

Well....it just so happens that I signed the work order today! It''s rather odd to move ahead with a project with just a basic description instead of detailed drawings or CADs, but what the heck, I haven''t seen anyone post an ugly Leon before.
2.gif

Here is the work order...see what I mean?

To make a ring in size 5 3/4
Overall: Light and as low as possible
Center stone: 4 single claw prongs
Shank: Split / High dome / cathedral /
micropave 3 rows / 1/2 way
Halo:Larger look / Angled / 2 rows micropave
(1.2-1.5 mm stones) **single cut stones weren''t specified so I made a hand written notation on the work order**
Stems:1 row
Gallery: Plain
Pave type: Archs

I probably won''t see the ring until the end of July though, current lead time is 6 weeks and he''s gone for 2 weeks in July...bummer! On a positive note, it''s going to cost me about $1000 less than my original halo/pear sidestone concept.
emthup.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bet you can''t wait! Did you happen to be in his office around 2ish?

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
31.gif

Date: 5/21/2009 8:42:43 PM
Author: DianaBanana
Thanks for thinking of me LS!

Well....it just so happens that I signed the work order today! It''s rather odd to move ahead with a project with just a basic description instead of detailed drawings or CADs, but what the heck, I haven''t seen anyone post an ugly Leon before.
2.gif

Here is the work order...see what I mean?

To make a ring in size 5 3/4
Overall: Light and as low as possible
Center stone: 4 single claw prongs
Shank: Split / High dome / cathedral /
micropave 3 rows / 1/2 way
Halo:Larger look / Angled / 2 rows micropave
(1.2-1.5 mm stones) **single cut stones weren''t specified so I made a hand written notation on the work order**
Stems:1 row
Gallery: Plain
Pave type: Archs

I probably won''t see the ring until the end of July though, current lead time is 6 weeks and he''s gone for 2 weeks in July...bummer! On a positive note, it''s going to cost me about $1000 less than my original halo/pear sidestone concept.
emthup.gif
WoW that is so exciting! I''d find it hard without 3-D full detail CADS (but that''s just me and my OCD!). But it sounds like you feel like there''s a meeting of the minds between the 2 of you.

I think to work one-on-one with the designer is so very special! Did he comment at all on the sapphire?

Too bad you couldn''t convince him to take his vacation in August....
31.gif

LS

DianaBanana

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/21/2009 8:46:39 PM
Author: Harriet
It''s kind of an odd feeling...a little nervous...a little afraid I''ll hate it! This is my particular brand of neurosis though...I go through this any time I make a big purchase! It takes me a while to warm up to things, I hate everything at first.
20.gif

I''m a Vancouver, Canada girl myself...wish I was in his office at 2! The real question is what were YOU doing there?? Got something cooking with that beautiful tsav?
31.gif
Your spess turned out beautifully, it was the first one I''ve seen that made me actually want to own one.

DianaBanana

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/21/2009 8:55:18 PM
Author: LostSapphire
31.gif

WoW that is so exciting! I''d find it hard without 3-D full detail CADS (but that''s just me and my OCD!). But it sounds like you feel like there''s a meeting of the minds between the 2 of you.

I think to work one-on-one with the designer is so very special! Did he comment at all on the sapphire?

31.gif

LS
I''ll tell you one thing.....this project will either turn me into a custom design freak for life or send me running back to the brick and mortar stores for something ready made! The ring better be phenomenal for all the stress it''s put me through.
25.gif

Leon said it was a nice stone but he didn''t rave about it or anything...I told him that I wished it were a lot bigger but he said it is actually a very nice size. He''s not really snobby like I expected he might be!
2.gif

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/21/2009 9:26:18 PM

31.gif

31.gif

LS
I''ll tell you one thing.....this project will either turn me into a custom design freak for life or send me running back to the brick and mortar stores for something ready made! The ring better be phenomenal for all the stress it''s put me through.
25.gif

Leon said it was a nice stone but he didn''t rave about it or anything...I told him that I wished it were a lot bigger but he said it is actually a very nice size. He''s not really snobby like I expected he might be!
2.gif
It''s going to be fine: you''re in good hands! Look at Harriet''s orange loli!!

LS

DianaBanana

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/18/2009 8:43:46 PM
Author: icekid
So glad things are going smoothly with Leon! All of the ideas look lovely.

Single cut melee also sounds lovely
30.gif
Is the price difference significant?
Icekid - sorry I didn''t notice your message sooner!
emembarrassed.gif

According to Leon, it''s not a significant price difference, just a bigger pain in the butt to source as the single cuts come in from Europe.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Argh-July?? It''ll be worth the wait tho!

Spirit

Shiny_Rock
Oh boy- making all of us wait til July?
Does Leon keep in touch as he goes through the different steps of creating the ring,or is this it for communication until he says " it''s ready"?
You must be sooooo excited now! Wishing for you that it far exceeds your expectations, and well worth the wait! Good luck, Dianabanana!

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/21/2009 9:07:51 PM

It''s kind of an odd feeling...a little nervous...a little afraid I''ll hate it! This is my particular brand of neurosis though...I go through this any time I make a big purchase! It takes me a while to warm up to things, I hate everything at first.
20.gif

I''m a Vancouver, Canada girl myself...wish I was in his office at 2! The real question is what were YOU doing there?? Got something cooking with that beautiful tsav?
31.gif
Your spess turned out beautifully, it was the first one I''ve seen that made me actually want to own one.
Oh Diana, I know what you mean. Took me months to warm up to Mr Gailey!

Now, more importantly, I know I''ve been a bit absent lately now the weather warming up, but have I missed the famous spess all set and looking purdy? Please point a worn out tired old gardener in the right direction please, I need to see something orange and inspirational.

Diana, don''t fret over your ring. Like you said, never seen an ugly Leon! Its going to beautiful and well worth the wait.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
OK, if Harriet''s spess thread had teeth, it would have taken a big chunk out of me!

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
This is SO exciting!!!!

Lori

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m so glad that you''ve gotten to this point. A signed work order!!
9.gif
I''m sure it will be a stunning ring.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
31.gif

31.gif

LS
Hmm, when would be a good time for him to take his vacation?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/21/2009 9:07:51 PM

20.gif

31.gif
You sound like me! I hated the picture Leon sent me of my e-ring.

I wasn''t there. I happened to call around that time and he said he was with a customer. I''m thinking of putting that Tsav in the vault -- too rare. Getting a spess?
31.gif

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
*bump*

...just on the lookout for news!

LS

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Ditto. I''ve been looking for a new thread from you for a week!

DianaBanana

Shiny_Rock
Hi Ladies, thanks for thinking of me! I''ve been quietly lurking and trying not to obsess.
25.gif

No news yet, I''m going to give it another couple of weeks before I start pestering for updates. I almost made a big mistake with my ring size, I gave them 5.75 from memory but when I was in to have my engagement ring cleaned yesterday, I had it measured and it was 6.25 - OOPS! I sent an email to Leon and they made the change to my work order...phew, disaster averted!!

I miss playing with the sapphire though, I can''t wait to see what he looks like in his new home.

30.gif

Sap 031a.jpg

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
man that sure is a beautiful Blue Color so rich!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
July seems so far away but it will be here before you know it-and it will be sooo worth the wait!

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/11/2009 2:52:16 PM
Author: packrat
July seems so far away but it will be here before you know it-and it will be sooo worth the wait!
**BUMP**
9.gif

OK DianaBanana: July is like, almost around the corner. Any updates?

Inquiring Minds Want To Know!

LS

DianaBanana

Shiny_Rock
Just called and spoke to Rachel....the ring is in progress, they are doing the metal work right now but they shut down for vacation on the 26th and won''t be back until July 15th so it won''t be done before the end of July.
25.gif
I''m on vacation the last week of July and first week of August so I probably won''t actually get the ring until closer to the end of August!!

I''ll be wearing BLUE in September my friend.
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results