shape
carat
color
clarity

So... my 40 year old husband is having heart surgery

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know whether I should be COMPLETELY freaked out about this or only somewhat so, but my 40 year old husband is having heart surgery next Friday.

He has this heart murmer that causes his heart to beat very rapidly (180-200 beats/min) sometimes when he exerts himself, like if he goes running. His normal resting heartrate is very low, 44/beats/min. When this happens he has to just lie down and wait for it to pass. This has been going on for years but I think suspect that it's getting more frequent lately because he's talking about it a little (a sure sign from Mr. Nothing's Wrong). He went to the doctor (unbeknowst to me!) yesterday and had some tests. The bottom line is that he's going in next Friday for a "procedure." (He nonchalantly mentioned all this to me last night via phone while I was in the car with a client.)

I should add that he's otherwise in great shape; goes to the gym every day, not overweight, non-smoker, not a big drinker.

This is my best description of his ailment and the procedure: From what I undersand your heartbeat is regulated by nodes in your heart that regulate the rate of the beat with electrical impulses. Apparently DH has a node that mis-fires and it causes this rapid beating. The procedure involves putting some sort of "thing" (love my medical terminology, doncha?) into his heart via a vein in groin and then either burning or freezing the node that mis-fires (although I have no idea how the decide whether to burn or freeze). Unless this "bad" node is too close to a good node, and then they can't do it for fear of screwing up the good one.

Did that make any sense???

So... anybody know anything about any of this? The malady? The procedure? And should I be 110% freaked out or only 99% so???

I already told him that if anything happens to him during this procedure I'm taking the life insurance money and buying the biggest best diamond I can find so that I'll always remember him fondly!!! Kinda reminds me of a joke that Storm posted recently about a memorial stone.

(Sorry about the flippant bad humor, but I'm just not sure whether to laugh or cry at this point...)

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
DeeJay,

Unfortunately, I do not have any words of wisdom regarding the surgey itself, I just wanted to tell you that I''m sorry you and your husband are going through this experience. Take good care of yourselves and each other and remember that medical technology today is fantastic!

KA

P.S. A friend of mine was born with a two chamber heart (we''re supposed to have four) and had a heart transplant at the age of 17. She is alive and well at 32. I just thought I''d share as a reminder that people can survive such ordeals, she wasn''t supposed to live six more months before they found her heart was donated.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dee* Jay,
I don''t know anything about this procedure but wanted to offer you big hugs and to let you know I will be praying for you both in the weeks to come. I''m sure he will be fine and that the operation will be a success.
1.gif

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you both for the replies. I feel kind of silly even posting this since I''m sure it''s so much more minor than what poor little Angelo went through...

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
Holy Moly... you have every right to be freaked out. Using "gallows humor" is a proven remedy to take the edge off the stress.

I know nothing about these medical issues, but I am SO GLAD that Mr. Nothing is Wrong went to the doctor and he is taking care of his health!

Now it is a matter of putting one foot in front of the other and get through this.
You''ll be held in our hearts along the way.

Take care of yourself, too, sweetie!

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
I'm not familiar with this procedure either, but surely it is a good thing that he got himself checked and that they are doing something to make sure it doesn't cause him any problems. Anything involving the heart is always a little scary, but doctors can do amazing things these days. Sending hugs and best wishes your way!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whenever you hear heart and surgery in the same sentence it''s frightening!

However, I can tell you that I would count myself lucky that they found it, have a fix for it, and that he is otherwise healthy. When something like this is found, it gives doctors a chance to have a peek-see at the heart and that''s always a good thing I think. Most of us assume ours are fine but do we really know that for sure? I am sure the procedure will go fine but you probably won''t rest easy until it is over.

Maybe you should schedule something fun for the weekend - just so you don''t have to sit around and dwell on it. Take care of yourselves and let us know how it goes - again, I''m sure it will be fine!

zdrastvootya

Shiny_Rock
I''m no doctor, but former girlfriend was a pediatric cardiologist that did this kind of thing for babies and children. From what I could glean, interventional (I think that''s the term for through the vein stuff) is a great thing - avoids the risks of major surgery, less stressful, quicker recovery.

Best wishes to you and your man.

Z.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DJ
35.gif

don''t worry,everything will be fine.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You all are so sweet! I''m sure this is a relatively simple procedure and everything will be fine. I just keep reminding myself that by this time next Friday it will all be over...

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/23/2006 10:21:42 AM
Author: Dee*Jay
Thank you both for the replies. I feel kind of silly even posting this since I''m sure it''s so much more minor than what poor little Angelo went through...
Oh Dee*Jay,
please don''t feel silly- it''s your dh and it IS a big deal.
I think the procedure is what Angello just went through; a heart catheterization.
It is much less invasive than surgery. It''s amazing what they can do these days.
I think Angello has had about five or six- and he''s (as storm puts it) finer than a frog''s hair split eight ways!
9.gif

Please keep us posted- PS is a wonderful source of support
emlove.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
you have every reason to be freaked...he''s your husband! and thank goodness'' mr. there is nothing wrong'' verbally took action instead of hiding behinds his words. i love your sense of humor! i will be thinking good thoughts your way.

movie zombie

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
From what I can tell, I believe this is called "ablation." It is minimally invasive and helps a lot of people. My mother went through it. Big hug-it''ll be ok.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I have a friend whose both children needed the procedure, 16 and 13 years old. It went without a hitch and solved their problem. They are now healthy kids now who play soccer, dance and drive with no worries of having another episode. Theirs were servere enough that their hearts would go into atrial fibrillation to the point where they had no detectable pulse and needed the procedure done as an emergency. Your husband''s doesn''t sound that severe and his heart must be strong from his good health and excercise habits. Gook luck and hope all goes smoothly for his procedure.

tawn

Brilliant_Rock
I always find humor in the oddest things too...but I think it helps with the whole coping issue! WARNING!!! The rest of this story is totally inappropriate and the un-morbidly humor challenged shouldn''t read it! Of course, humor is not so good at a funeral ...but it wasn''t really our fault. My Mom and I went to our neighbor''s husband''s funeral...about a year after their wedding. Horrible story, but he got drunk and aspirated in his own vomit and died! The same guys that were in the bridal party were also seating people at the funeral, and when we got there it was obvious that they had all been partaking and were under the influence...and the guy actually asked us if we were to be seated on the Bride''s side! We couldn''t help it and got the giggles...it was soooo bad! I''m evil....and I obviously inherited from my Mom!

Good luck for your husband, and you know he''s going to take advantage and have you waiting on him hand and foot! Most men are such babies when they''re sick...at least mine is! Probably because they never have to go through childbirth!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You guys are so great! I am much less freaked out that I was this morning (although not toally UN-freaked out!) and am working on just being calm and gathering data.

Thanks for telling me about the success stories on other people that you know who have had this done. It''s sounding like this is a pretty common procedure. And Storm, I appreciate those links to the info.

IrishAngel7982

Brilliant_Rock
Hey DeeJay~
Lots of prayers for you! I''m sure everything will be fine, although any medical procedure (especially involving the heart) is terrifying. If it''s any consolation, my grandmother had a HUGE heart procedure done 2 years ago...quadruple bypass, aortic valve replacement, and they had to close one artery and form another one in another chamber b/c she had an unseen abnormality...and she came through kicking. Keep your head up!!!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dee Jay, I hope all goes well with your DH. It''s always frightening to hear heart and procedure, especially regarding someone you love! If it is an ablation my friend''s dad had it done and it went just fine. I hope things go smoothly for the both of you and try not to freak out!!

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
So this surgery is for the heart but not done on the heart area itself? I felt relieved reading the replies and it sounds like you did too. Best of luck to you and your husband and may you have many happy, healthy years ahead.

YumCarrots

Rough_Rock
Hi DeeJay,

The procedure is called catheter ablation. I had it done 5 years ago. I had the same condition as your husband, where my heart would race up to 180-200 beats/minute for no reason. I did a lot of research before I had the procedure done. It''s a safe procedure with a very high success rate. The whole procedure takes about 3-5 hours and I was back to work the next Monday (I had it done on a Friday).

Don''t worry! Your husband will be fine! Best wishes!

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Dee Jay: If we can freak out over our diamonds being too small, you definitely can freak out over you husband having heart surgery! It''s a reletively safe procedure, although as with any other procedure there are risks. Your husband is young, strong and in shape, I''m sure everything will go smoothly, and he will be FINE. Take care of yourself and your husband!

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
I''ll be sending tons of good vibes... I wish him an easy surgery, and an even easier recovery!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dee, I am sorry! I am sure he will be fine. My dad was a cadiologist as is my Uncle. I do not know about that particular procedure, is it a catherization? I am sure he will be under great care...do not worry! (easier said than done...)

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I don''t know anything about heart procedures but I am sure your hubby will be just fine! He''ll be better in no time, be strong!

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
Best wishes for the surgery!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The good vibes are much appreciated! This time next week he'll be sitting up in bed taking advantage of the situation for all it's worth I'm sure! "Is there any more jam for my toast? Can you bring me the paper? Do you see the remote control anywhere?"
28.gif

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
My prayers are with you and your husband, DeeJay
21.gif

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dee Jay -- I woulda been a wreck too if my DH just dropped that announcement on me! Lots of hugs and good wishes to you. Men! They are so macho and unwilling to discuss or even think about "weaknesses" such as a heart problem.
20.gif
I would just make sure that he has a great cardiologist with a successful track record, who has done the procedure many times before. Best of luck to your DH!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results