shape
carat
color
clarity

So many choices.... (Help for a prospective groom)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dummy_for_Diamonds

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

From what I''ve seen there''s been remarkably useful (and funny) advice given on this forum, so I was hoping to tap into it.

I''m looking for a diamond for a platinum engagement ring, and there are 3 stones in particular that I''m looking at.

My nominal budget was $6k, but that''s very flexible (I''d be happy to spend less, but willing to spend more for a knock your socks off rock). I don''t think the Lady in question is particular about a "magic numebr" size, but was looking around 1 carat. I''ve really been taken with the colorless stones, maybe it''s my mind playing tricks, but that crystalline beauty gets me, even though all the dealers say up to about H or J it doesn''t matter.

Here are the stats on the 3 (all are GIA certified)...
-----------------------------------
Behind Door #1...
From a small, family diamond seller in the local (Boston) diamod exchange:

Price: $4850

The GIA stats:

Weight: .91 carat
Meas.: 6.19x6.23x3.87
Color: E
Clarity: SI1 (I looked at it through a 10x loupe, it''s pretty clean, and to me eye clean w/o magnification)
Depth: 62.3%
Table: 56%
Girdle: Med. Faceted
Flourescence: None
Pol/Sym: Ex/Ex
Culet: None

There''s an OGI report, too...
AGS 0
Depth: 62.6%
Table: 55.8%
Crown: 35.7deg/15.2%
Pavil: 41.3deg/43.8%
Girdle: 2%

It''s a very pretty stone, lots of sparkle under flourescent lights, even more under display lights. THe HCA was no help in this case-- using the OGI-reported angles it gave it a 4.8-4.9, using the percentages it spat out 1.1-1.2.
--------------------------------------
Door #2 Long''s Jeweler''s -Big regional name, they have "Trae" branded diamonds. AGS shop (though this stone was GIA certified).

Price: $7500

Weight: 1.03 carat
Meas.: 6.39x6.43x3.95
Color: E
Clarity: SI2
Depth: 61.6%
Table: 59%
Girdle: Med. to STHK
Flourescence: Faint
Pol/Sym: Ex/VG

This one was also spectacular, but there were those warm jewelry store lights. The salesman was excellent at his job. It had a distinct "Heart''s & Arrows" pattern, though the arrows were clearly visible only from directly above.
------------------------------------------------------
Door #3

Another small Diamond exchange jewelry, which specializes in making rings, etc. but also sells diamonds

Price: $3500 - GIA Laser Inscribed

Weight: .9 carat
Meas.: ~6.2 diameter (didn''t write it down, am remembering)
Color: G
Clarity: SI1
Depth: 62.1%
Table: 63%
Girdle: Med. to THK
Flourescence: None
Pol/Sym: VG/VG
---------------------------------------------------------------

So there we are. I''m leaning towards one of them, but won''t bias the results. If this were "Let''s make a deal" one of these would be a donkey-- is that the case here?

I''m open to any and all advice, or suggestions for Boston-area jewelers. I can''t yet bring myself to buy something like this over the internet without having seen it with my own eyes.

Thanks in advance for the help,
--Josh
AKA "Dummy for Diamond"

appletini

Ideal_Rock
Stone #2 is way over priced. The other''s don''t have enough information to make an informed decision. While you are wary of buying a diamond online. Several vendors will send the stone to an appraiser in your area where you can go and look at it yourself. If you don''t like it, just send it back. Good Luck!

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Stone number one would be the donkey for me. I don't like the depth. I don't like the angles at all. The HCA was correct. it is a steep-deep combo which will possibly result in light leakeage under the table. This will make this stone appear to have a darkness in the center where you are losing light return. It is also going to face up a little smaller than a really well cut .9 because of the deeper depth. I really like a stone with a little shallower depth in the 60.3 to 60.9 range. Carat is a weight. What you see when you look at the stone is diameter. This is measured in millimeters. The deeper the stone, the more weight is hiding where you won't see it. You have a great budget. Let us help you with better options. I'm not saying you have to buy on line, but if you want to know what the sweet spot of ideal cut is, there are plenty of past threads that discuss this in depth. Armed with that info, you have a much better chance of weeding through the donkeys if you go local. Please keep us posted, and feel free to post the numbers. BTW, stone number one is the only one that gives us much of a chance at helping you. Without the sarin or an idealscope pic, it's difficult for us to "see" what you might be looking at.

I am not an expert, just a really crazy diamond freak.
9.gif

shay

ETA: always ask to see the diamonds in a variety of lights. it helps to establish who's really a contender for your sweetie's hand.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results