shape
carat
color
clarity

So I Made Engagement Chicken...Wanna Hear the Result?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LilyOfTheValley

Shiny_Rock
For Valentine's Day this year, I decided that my gift to boyfriend of almost 2 years was going to be a home-made dinner.

So, I made Engagement Chicken, following Glamour's recipe to a T, although the roasting time was closer to 2 hours than 45 minutes, just a warning!
20.gif

Anyhow, the minute our dinner was over, the boyfriend enthusiastically declared, "Wow, my girlfriend's such a good cook! I have to tie this one down so only I could get to enjoy your cooking. I don't want any other guy to eat your food!"

So I responded, "Oh?"

And he said, "Yeah, and I've been thinking; we get along with each other so well. We've been together for almost 2 years and we've never had any argument or weird fights or anything."

I was like, "When did you start thinking about that?"

He said, "Oh, you know, just now over dinner."

Needless to say, I was shocked. I mean, this was coming from a guy whose hands would clamp up whenever I mention the following words: "Engagement"; "marriage"; "ring," in any order.

For the rest of the night he kept on harping on and on about the chicken and, "I want to be with you forever. I can't wait to spend the rest of my life with you."

I was pleasantly surprised, considering that I've made him sooo many other extremely complicated and fancy meals in the past, but apparently, this super easy dish made him think of the future.

I don't even need to get engaged within the next few months or anything, but I can't believe that this chicken dish made him think and say all these things in under an hour.
31.gif

miss_flo

Shiny_Rock
That''s wonderful, it''s so great to hear that the chicken worked its magic again! Crossing my fingers for an engagement soon!

misskitty

Brilliant_Rock
Aww! I''ve never tried the recipe just because I''m not really a huge fan of chicken, but I''m glad he liked it :) Do you usually cook, or was this a special deal?

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
where do i find this recipe!??

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
okay, now I''m intrigued. I''m already happily married, but I wonder if Engagement chicken would help ''that lovin'' feelin''?''
31.gif

Just got to find the recipe again. There''s a new recipe and an old one, isn''t there?

LilyOfTheValley

Shiny_Rock
News_girl: You''re so sweet. Thanks!

Misskitty: I cook regularly, usually dishes that are much more complicated to make, since I like to show off (lol), but nothing ever provided such a dramatic response.
9.gif

ckrickett: The recipe is at the link below. You might feel tempted to add more ingredients, but don''t! I was tempted to add things like rosemary, olive oil, etc., but I was afraid that those might ruin the "magic." Lol. The recipe says roast for 50 minutes, but it took me approximately 2 hours. Basically, when the juice ran clear, it was ready.
http://www.glamour.com/magazine/2006/07/engagement-chicken

LaraOnline: I think the original recipe was by Marcella Hazan, and then the former Glamour editor just revised it. I used the Glamour recipe. The result was delicious.
18.gif

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Well I did the search, got the link to Glamour magazine from one of the earlier threads...

linky

...and here's the recipe I found!

Engagement Chicken

(Adapted from Marcella Hazan's More Classic Italian Cooking)

* 1 whole chicken (approx. 3 lb.)
* 2 medium lemons
* Fresh lemon juice (1/2 cup)
* Kosher or sea salt
* Ground black pepper

Place rack in upper third of oven and preheat to 400 degrees.
Wash chicken inside and out with cold water, remove the giblets, then let the chicken drain, cavity down, in a colander until it reaches room temp (about 15 minutes). Pat dry with paper towels.

Pour lemon juice all over the chicken (inside and outside). Season with salt and pepper. Prick the whole lemons three times with a fork and place deep inside the cavity. (Tip: If lemons are hard, roll on countertop with your palm to get juices flowing.)

Place the bird breast-side down on a rack in a roasting pan, lower heat to 350 degrees and bake uncovered for 15 minutes.
Remove from oven and turn it breast-side up (use wooden spoons!); return it to oven for 35 minutes more.

Test for doneness—a meat thermometer inserted in the thigh should read 180 degrees, or juices should run clear when chicken is pricked with a fork. Continue baking if necessary.

Let chicken cool for a few minutes before carving. Serve with juices.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Oh, snap! You must have been ''on the phone'' the same time as me! Thanks, Lily!

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
Excellent news
36.gif
now, i admit i never saw the recipe for this chicken, but i think i need to get my hands on it
9.gif
31.gif

LilyOfTheValley

Shiny_Rock
Blackpaw: Lol, do it! It''s so easy to make, and very delicious as well. I''m making it again for myself today so I can use in cold sandwiches. I can''t believe it...almost 4 lbs. of chicken for only $7!

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, LaraOnline and LilyoftheValley!
I'm cooking that next night we both have off. We both love chicken anyway so if anything it will be a delicious meal!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
350 at two hrs is probably right. But, really, that's baked chicken.

Roast chicken should be 450 for 45 minutes (if we're talking a regular 2.5-3.5 chicken, not a 5-6 lb monster.) If the fat starts to smoke, lower it to 425. If the chicken doesn't start to color in 20 minutes, turn it up to 475.

Sounds like a success!

LabRatPhD

Shiny_Rock
Sounds great, LilyOfTheValley!

I made scallops last night and ended up setting off the smoke alarm! Maybe I should have tried this recipe instead...
2.gif

LilyOfTheValley

Shiny_Rock
JulieN: Thanks so much for the tips!

LabRatPhd: Hehehe. Yummm...scallops. That''s what we''ll have for our 2-year-anniversary next month.
36.gif

WistfulAurora

Shiny_Rock
I''m sooo excited for you!! I have had the recipe for awhile and have been a little nervous to try it. I think I''m going to make it this weekend... You''ve inspired me!
21.gif

ice-queen

Shiny_Rock
LilyOfTheValley: Yum, what did you serve it with??

SuiteLady

Rough_Rock
I guess I'll make this for dinner one night. I think it would be good with a side of pasta or risotto.

I just saw a picture that featured asparagus and new potatoes. :)

mariewest

Shiny_Rock
I have always wanted to try this recipe. It sounds like it worked out well. I''ll have to try it soon.

LilyOfTheValley

Shiny_Rock
WistfulAurora & SuiteLady: Try it! It'll be one of the most delicious things you've ever eaten.

Ice-Queen: I served mine with roasted potato, and warmed French bread with Italian herbs dipping (olive oil + Italian herbs + parmessan cheese + some salt).
Here's a pic of my chicken. Just copy and paste the link (Sorry, somehow I can't post links or pictures here).

http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/6/l_697ab90122474cb9a980895d46cf68d4.jpg

WistfulAurora

Shiny_Rock
that looks really good!!!

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
congrats!!!
that is very sweet :)

ps - i am making that tonight!! :)

sammyj

Brilliant_Rock
Wow! that was definitely a successful meal!...sounds yummy too.
18.gif

LilyOfTheValley

Shiny_Rock
WistfulAurora: Thanks
2.gif

Jcarlylew: How did it turn out?
1.gif

Sammyj: Maybe the chicken dish really is magical! Haha. Now, if he proposes within 3 months (Statistically, that''s the average waiting time for other women, although some waited a little bit longer/shorter than others), I''m going to faint.
6.gif

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
What a nice story!! I make roast chicken a lot, we love it.

The dish is so simple, but that''s almost what makes it special. It''s hearty but refined and "homey". It makes people think about their mom or grandma''s Sunday dinner. In fact, last week a roast chicken dish won the main challenge on Top Chef.

I''ve made variations of engagement chicken as well over the years. You can do so much with it. If you want more of a lemony flavor, add some lemon zest to softened butter and rub it under the chicken skin. Don''t add full slices of lemon as the pith (white part) will make the chicken bitter when it cooks.

Good luck, it sounds like your chicken was a HUGE success!

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Adorable!

xoxo

Shiny_Rock
That''s so exciting
36.gif

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2009 9:56:50 AM
Author: LilyOfTheValley
WistfulAurora: Thanks
2.gif

Jcarlylew: How did it turn out?
1.gif

Sammyj: Maybe the chicken dish really is magical! Haha. Now, if he proposes within 3 months (Statistically, that''s the average waiting time for other women, although some waited a little bit longer/shorter than others), I''m going to faint.
6.gif
much better than the first time i made it! the first time i had never cooked a whole chicken so i didnt know how long it would take. this time i started it by about 430/h and it was done by 7. it made the place smell sooo good. tonight i am going to make chicken dumplings with the rest overs. one way or another, this engagement chicken will work!! :)

Still_Waiting

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/14/2009 11:43:14 PM
Author:LilyOfTheValley
For Valentine''s Day this year, I decided that my gift to boyfriend of almost 2 years was going to be a home-made dinner.

So, I made Engagement Chicken, following Glamour''s recipe to a T, although the roasting time was closer to 2 hours than 45 minutes, just a warning!
20.gif

Anyhow, the minute our dinner was over, the boyfriend enthusiastically declared, ''Wow, my girlfriend''s such a good cook! I have to tie this one down so only I could get to enjoy your cooking. I don''t want any other guy to eat your food!''

So I responded, ''Oh?''

And he said, ''Yeah, and I''ve been thinking; we get along with each other so well. We''ve been together for almost 2 years and we''ve never had any argument or weird fights or anything.''

I was like, ''When did you start thinking about that?''

He said, ''Oh, you know, just now over dinner.''

Needless to say, I was shocked. I mean, this was coming from a guy whose hands would clamp up whenever I mention the following words: ''Engagement''; ''marriage''; ''ring,'' in any order.

For the rest of the night he kept on harping on and on about the chicken and, ''I want to be with you forever. I can''t wait to spend the rest of my life with you.''

I was pleasantly surprised, considering that I''ve made him sooo many other extremely complicated and fancy meals in the past, but apparently, this super easy dish made him think of the future.

I don''t even need to get engaged within the next few months or anything, but I can''t believe that this chicken dish made him think and say all these things in under an hour.
31.gif
LOL! Hey, anything could work!!! Congrats on the progress!!!

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
Yay!!! I''m so happy for you!!!!
36.gif

I made my own version of engagement chicken (an Emeril Legasse recipe) almost a year ago and that clearly didn''t work. I''d better make the official Glamour recipe!!!!

Anyway, that''s awesome. Can''t wait to see ring pics when you get one picked out. Don''t forget about us when you''re over in BWW!

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
Wrong thread!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results